• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vasco del Interior - In April/Semana Santa?

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
Next up: Viejo/Olvidado
Hello!

I've done a few Caminos (Norte, Primitivo & San Salvador) and am feeling the need to do another soon :)

I live in Bilbao so am thinking the Vasco del Interior would be a great option - Irun to Haro, then take the train back to Bilbao.
My only holiday time in 2020 is during Semana Santa and the week after so in mid-April. I've looked at the Gronze website and noted that the Albergues are open year round and I know it can rain a lot in the Basque country anytime of year. But I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this route during Spring? Would it be too mucky in rain? Is the mountain route quite high such that it wouldn't be advisable that time of year?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on whether or not this is a doable plan. I'm getting excited about the thought already....

Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello!

I've done a few Caminos (Norte, Primitivo & San Salvador) and am feeling the need to do another soon :)

I live in Bilbao so am thinking the Vasco del Interior would be a great option - Irun to Haro, then take the train back to Bilbao.
My only holiday time in 2020 is during Semana Santa and the week after so in mid-April. I've looked at the Gronze website and noted that the Albergues are open year round and I know it can rain a lot in the Basque country anytime of year. But I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this route during Spring? Would it be too mucky in rain? Is the mountain route quite high such that it wouldn't be advisable that time of year?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on whether or not this is a doable plan. I'm getting excited about the thought already....

Thank you!

We walked in May this year with some days of very heavy and constant rain. Yes it got mucky. But it was doable although for the first time ever on my Caminos I used a walkingpole. Bought it in Tolosa.

Go for it! It is a gorgeous Camino.

Some inspiration here.

We walked in May this year with some days of very heavy and constant rain. Yes it got mucky. But it was doable although for the first time ever on my Caminos I used a walkingpole. Bought it in Tolosa.

Go for it! It is a gorgeous Camino.

Some inspiration here.

Thank you!! I loved going through your post and will make note of those Albergues as well. Looks like you had a wonderful time :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Been a few years since I was on this path. But if I recall right, the majority of walking before the tunnel is on pavements or small quiet roads. Afterwards on the plain, it's either small roads or farmer's tracks through fields. Some of the tracks could be muddy or fill up with water. I guess the worst affected section, as it's the flattest, would be Haro to St Domingo - and you're not planning on doing that.
The path up to the tunnel is straightforward. For someone who's already done the Norte & Salvador that'd be nay bother, even in bad weather.
It's a lovely camino.

The Vasco may be more crowded during Semana Santa than it was in May. But the word 'crowded' in this case would only be relative to what it usually is, which is pretty darn quiet.

I loved this camino, Kirsty, in spite of the deluge for the first three days. After all the rain, I was expecting far worse mud up to the Tunel than we had. That part actually wasn't that bad. The first day took the mud prize, but this stretch would be much better with sunshine as opposed to walking under a running faucet.

The weather is a gamble any time...so go for it! If when you get to Zegama, the weather makes for bad conditions up at the Tunel San Adrien, you can always go around it by busing back to Beasain, and the the train to Salvatierra.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.