• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vaseline and Omnifix easily found?

Julia en las flores

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues- May (2018)
Start in Porto with Spiritual Variant
To keep my pack weight down I am taking a very small jar of Vaseline for my feet. It will only last me a few days. Is Vaseline easy to find from Porto to Santiago or should I bring a larger jar?
Is Omnifix tape easily found as well? Pre-taping and covering with Vaseline has become my chosen method for blister prevention so I need to make sure I am able to get both easily.
Thanks!
Julia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use your method as well and seems to work great so far and a big fan of Omnifix. What i did was cut strips of about 3 inches and bringing about 40 of them instead of the whole roll. Small jar of Vaseline to start also as that will be easy to find I imagine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I discovered Omnifix in in a farmacia on the Camino, and it was easy to find when I ran out, though I do remember one farmacia in León that didn't have it. I love that stuff!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Vaseline is available in Portugal. There may be local brands and as long as the description includes "gelatina de petróleo" or "petrolatum" it should be fine.

To keep my pack weight down I am taking a very small jar of Vaseline for my feet. It will only last me a few days. Is Vaseline easy to find from Porto to Santiago or should I bring a larger jar?
Is Omnifix tape easily found as well? Pre-taping and covering with Vaseline has become my chosen method for blister prevention so I need to make sure I am able to get both easily.
Thanks!
Julia

Hi Julia,
Looks like you've got the answers you were after, so I won't add more. However, I'd like to know how you use this combination of tape and Vaseline please. I can't figure out how it works. Thanks.

Trademarked Vaseline in Portugal is called Vasenol. However the plastic jar / bottle is identical. I bought some in 2017, while walking from Lisbon.

Absent the real deal, generic petrolatum jelly is available in most all supermarkets. If not in the meager health items section (everything comes from the pharmacy), check the baby items section.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks!
Julia
You can find Vick in almost every farmacia. It is in my opinion better than plain old vaseline but it does the same job. Never used tape and dont know the purpose of it but lubricating my feet each morning has been the perfect solution for blister prevention. Five trips to the camino and never had any problems with them

Thanks!
Julia

Can you explain in a bit more detail how you use both of those items for blister prevention? I had bad blisters on my last walk and I'm heading out again in a month. I'm worried about the blisters because they were painful!!!! First, I bought sock liners. I also figured out that my socks (good socks, smartwool) would stretch out and and the extra fabric would rub on my foot. So I bought a smaller size and they fit perfectly and don't stretch.
But I'm worried those blisters are inevitable. I'm looking for any prevention possible!
Thanks!

I put the Omnifix tape on areas where I'm blister prone, or wherever I felt a hotspot. The tape eliminates rubbing directly on your skin. It's basically like a second skin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I put the Omnifix tape on areas where I'm blister prone, or wherever I felt a hotspot. The tape eliminates rubbing directly on your skin. It's basically like a second skin.

What about the vaseline?
Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm in Fatima now and will start walking in a few days from Porto.
Taping hotspots is something I learned from this forum. I just put one swipe across the metatarsal area and then put Vaseline all over my foot. The Vaseline doesn't mess up the tape. I tried Leukotape first and it helped as nicely as Omnifix, but left a terribly sticky residue. It's worth a try to see if it works for you! I had to order Omnifix from Amazon because I couldn't find it in stores.
Julia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@trecile and @VNwalking - I am in Spain now and have purchased the famous Omnifix tape because of your ongoing recommendations. It is good stuff. For those who wonder - it is wide, about 4 inches, and comes in a long roll. It is a very soft, loose weave fabric (almost like gauze with a stcky side) with peel-off backing, that wraps very lightly around whatever surface.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! I'm in Fatima now and will start walking in a few days from Porto.
Taping hotspots is something I learned from this forum. I just put one swipe across the metatarsal area and then put Vaseline all over my foot. The Vaseline doesn't mess up the tape. I tried Leukotape first and it helped as nicely as Omnifix, but left a terribly sticky residue. It's worth a try to see if it works for you! I had to order Omnifix from Amazon because I couldn't find it in stores.
Julia
I had the same issue with Leukotape leaving a sticky mess, that's one of the reasons I prefer the Omnifix. Also, I like how thin and soft it is.

Ominfix or other brands (Hypafix, Fixomull) are widely available across Europe.
Take a piece in to a pharmacy and show them, they may not know your brand but its a very common product for anyone with allergies to other tapes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks!
Julia
Hi, yes you can find Omnifix but not necessarily under that name. I suggest you keep a small strip to show the pharmacist, I found it easier than trying to explain what it is. Been Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back