• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vasque Hiking Boots

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anybody have any opinions of this brand?
I used Vasque boots for several years. They are good boots, but may be too much for the Camino. Vasque makes hiking shoes and low cut boots, which might be better for the walking conditions on the Camino.

vasque-juxt-trail-shoes-for-men-in-beluga-aluminum%7Ep%7E8108f_01%7E460.2.jpg
vasque-breeze-gore-tex-xcr-hiking-boots-waterproof-for-men-in-taupe-orange%7Ep%7E6008a_01%7E460.2.jpg

It depends on your feet, and your path. I've used Vasque boots (all-leather) for all my walks so far, and was immensely grateful for their robust soles and ankle support on the very stony Le Puy route, as well as the rougher trails in the Czech Republic. Two pairs of Vasque boots, in fact. That being said, pavement walking is not their strong suit, and I understand there is much pavement on the Camino Frances in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I loved my Vasques!

http://www.vasque.com/USD/product/mens-footwear/hiking/breeze-gtx-2.0-slate-russet-07482#pdpTabs2

Some will say that a boot is overkill for the Camino, I think there are enough ankle-turning rocks, uphills, downhills, and uneven surfaces to warrant some type of footwear with ankle support.

I wasn't a fan of them at first and I think I unfairly may have blamed them for a blister and leg pain I have. To be fair, they weren't properly broken in when I started. (And neither was I for that matter!) But they held up marvelously through the whole Camino.

They are as waterproof as a boot can be without being made of rubber. At the end of a day of downpours, most pilgrims were fighting for space by a heater to dry their boots out. Mine were totally dry on the inside. Sure, if it had been raining all day and you had to walk through a few inches of water, you'd feel moisture, but they really did help to keep my feet dry.

And they are durable! I figured my boots would be just about worn out by the time I got to Santiago. While they were well worn by the end of the trip, there was still plenty of life left in them.

Between my friends and myself, we have had three pairs of Vasque boots delaminate, duct tape being the only thing to keep us from walking barefoot back to the trailhead. We do live in a tropical climate, and the heat might have something to do with this.

It's not the brand that's important, it's the fit. Get the boots that fit you the best and try them out. If you're in the U.S., get fitted at someplace like REI which will allow you to return items which end up not fitting or causing problems after real-world trials, not just walking around in a store. My wife wore Vasque boots on the Camino and they served her well, but she field-tested three other different boots/brands before settling on the Vasques. You may have the same experience, but then again, maybe not. Be aware that different brands are known for certain characteristics such as wide or narrow toe boxes, stiff or flexible lasts, etc. Just because a certain brand is highly rated by someone else does not mean it will be the best for you. The most important criteria for the Camino is keeping your feet happy.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Currently using Vasque waterproof Breeze boots and very pleased with them. I'm one of those who wants the support and protection of a mid boot; others feel differently.

The Breezes have worn well; the three lacing hooks at the top let you lace tightly around the ankle to keep the foot from sliding forward too much going down hill; the water proofing works well (but, of course, makes them hotter than the non-water proof version, which some will prefer) and the tread is very effective when you need it (but a little clunky when you don't - catches things indoors).

Wore them in the Apennines last fall (think St. Jean to Roncevalles, over and over and over), have also walked long walks on pavement (11 miles in Washington, D.C last weekend) all with great success. Until they change them or stop making them, I think I've found my boot.

Karl

It's not the brand that's important, it's the fit.

jmcarp nails the key point: it's not the brand, but the fit that counts.

Reading the many online reviews of shoes is good in getting a general sense of quality, but reviews tell you nothing about how the show will for your unique foot for the purposes of long distance walking.

I actually used a well-worn pair of Vasque Breeze boots for my Camino, emphasis on well worn. They worked wonderfully for me. Years of experience on various terrain assured me they were the right shoes for my Camino, but I also wanted some flexibility so packed along a pair of low cut hikers (Patagonia). Those also worked great, for me.

I'm sorry if I sound like a tired, broken record on this topic in my comments throughout the forum, but it can't be stated enough times: do your due diligence on shoes well before you set off on your camino! No one else can or should make the shoe decision for you.

One PS to this discussion. I was at a very reputable mountain equipment store searching for shoes one day, and a very honest staffer warned me not to buy shoes based only on how they felt while trying them on and walking around in the store. He said manufacturers purposely put those cheap, flimsy, but very squishy-comfy insoles in their shoes to leave that all important first impression, encouraging customers to buy. Be cognizant of this, and if you use custom orthotics or Superfeet type insoles, take those with you when you go shoe shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely plan to get boots for my son and I that fit and feel well. I just want to avoid those that have an issue with a 500 mile walk in the Spanish heat.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I completely plan to get boots for my son and I that fit and feel well. I just want to avoid those that have an issue with a 500 mile walk in the Spanish heat.
The issue with heat relates mainly to the so-called "waterproof" boots that have Goretex or similar linings. While different people have different tolerances to "hot" boots, I can say that I walked the Camino Francis from St Jean to Santiago in Merrill Waterproof Moabs in August and September and never felt uncomfortable enough to wish I had non-waterproof boots. I totally understand your desire to get suitable boots for your son, but stand by my earlier comment that you shouldn't buy footwear for the Camino based on brand alone. Take your son to a reputable store that understands the implications of a 500-mile walk, and make sure the salesperson understands how and where your son will be using the boots. Note that it's typical for feet to expand by that amount over the course of training and walking the Camino, so Camino veterans advise buying boots at least a full size larger than one normally wears, and to wear a combination of wicking synthetic sock liners and mid-weight merino wool socks. The training period should be a time to evaluate not only the boots but the sock combinations as well. Buy from a store that offers a liberal exchange policy so you don't get locked into boots that really are not right. For example, I first bought boots one-half size larger than my normal size, and after training for a few months, my toes were striking the front of the boot and I had to exchange them for an additional half-size larger (total one full size larger). My wife has an unusual foot that made finding the right one difficult, and at one point she walked out of REI with three pairs of boots to evaluate. Thank goodness for REI's very liberal exchange policy, which we both took advantage of not only for boots but backpacks as well.

And for whatever it's worth, opinions are split pretty evenly on the question of boots vs low-top hiking shoes, but that's a topic for another discussion. Also, as someone else suggested, no matter what boot or hiking shoe you buy, I strongly recommend getting third-party insoles with good arch support. Good luck on your footwear decision; it's the most important piece of equipment for the Camino.

Jim

I have used both Merrills and Vasques. The Vasques are stiffer. I am not sure what model mine were. The bottom was less flexible than my Merrill Moabs and the insole had less cushion. I personally like my Merrills better but I think it depends on what your personal situation is. If you need a relatively stiff sole for support and protection in rocky terrain, I think the Vasques would be good. I also think they have a pretty high and wide toe box compared to many other shoes. Liz

I bought a Vasque light hiking boot (Gortex lined) in April 2013 from MEC in Canada for my Sep/Oct 2013 Camino walk of 1200km. The boots performed perfectly. Even during a few days of 25 Celsius temperatures, my feet stayed cool and comfortable. The high uppers give excellent ankle support and the Gortex lining keeps my feet dry during wet conditiions

Now, after about 3000 km of uasge, the Vibram sole is showing signs of wear (outer heel area) but the uppers still look like new. I hope I will be able to find the identical boot as a replacement.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, needless to say, I am a fan of the Vasque Breeze Boot. I am on my fourth pair and they really fit my feet well. I have never had a ankle issue and believe the boot has saved me many, many times from twisting my ankle when I would step on an rock the wrong way. For the Camino I used the pair on the left in the pic and I took a pair of Merrill Runners with me to use as well. The Vasque boots were the boots of the day on uneven or rainy periods. For those few (very few) rainy days the Merrills were the Cats meow! The Runners are very lightweight and were a nice change on occasion. The boots on the right were my first ever Hiking boots and served me for early hiking training and climbing Half Dome. Notice the wear on them with the ripped old leather etc. They are 4 years old and have many, many miles on them...... The middle pair got to know the AT and The Florida Trail very well. My current and fourth pair are now doing local hikes in the Central Florida area. Did I say I like the Vasque boots?
Ed

Attachments

• Boots [DVD (PAL)].JPG
    Boots [DVD (PAL)].JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 13

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.