• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vatican introduces 25 Euros Fee for the Compostela!

A

Anonymous

Well I never. About time too!. Good Pope Benedict has introduced a fee of 25 Euros for a Compostela for those who are not Roman Catholics.

His argument is that it is and has always been a Roman Catholic Pilgrimage so Roman Catholics will still get the Compostela for free (they must take a letter from their priest at home which confirms that they are Catholic).

Those of other faiths and none must pay 25 Euros to receive one.

However, on the ground floor of the Pilgrim's Office, where you go up to get your Compostela, he has ordered the setting up of six confessional booths, with Priests in them. All those of different denominations or none, can convert to Catholicism there and then, and take first confession. The priest will then give them a slip to take upstairs which, with their stamped Pilgrim's passport, will entitle them to their free Compostela.

The new rule comes into effect on May 1st, to allow time for those preparing to start to get their letter of faith from their local priest - and also for all Roman Catholic churches to be informed of the new rule. There will also be leaflets at all refugios.

Personally I think it rather a good idea. It is a Roman Catholic pilgrimage and should be for Roman Catholics - but with all other denominations (and none) invited as 'guests'.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Zenit reported from the Vatican that all Catholics who particiapte in superstitious activites - Yoga, Reiki, April Fools day - will be excommunicated on the spot!!

Acutally, the bit about getting a flat slap for practising Reiki is true!

The US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has warned Roman Catholics to shun the eastern healing art of Reiki because it lacks scientific credibility and is dangerous to Christian spiritual health. The church's guidelines state: "A Catholic who puts his or her trust in reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no man's land that is neither faith nor science. Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a false direction."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ma ... hops-reiki

Oh drat!! No more healing hands from Jesus Jato!!

Br. David said:
Personally I think it rather a good idea. It is a Roman Catholic pilgrimage and should be for Roman Catholics - but with all other denominations (and none) invited as 'guests'.

Do you? Or is that a joke too?

The door is open to all, to sick and healthy, not only to Catholics but also to pagans, Jews, heretics and vagabonds.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
HA! Great post! :lol: SO great to see that your sense of humor is firmly inact, Br. David! And I'm even happier to say that I woke up this morning to find that (so far, at least) all the Conficker hype seems to be April Fool as well! Welcome to a new month and spring!
Buen Camino,

And I am sure that someone will post an April Fool's Day rumor that the U.S. has elected a President who can form a complete sentence with all the parts of speech in the right place.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That Benedict...... I always suspected he was out to get the likes of me.... baptised as a baby...... but not in recent contact with a priest who could provide such a letter. :shock:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
lolol- :lol: :lol: the one I did for friends and family was that a lion had escaped from Windsor Safari park, had got into the park grounds of Windsor Castle where the Queen was walking her dogs. It had killed one of her corgis and she was sheltering in a tea room ...

I was almost caught by being told that our Gordon Brown and the French President had had a fist-fight at breakfast!! :lol: :lol:

p.s. and - :shock: - April Fool Mr. Marques! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ok... I'll go confess that I think organized religion SUCKS!!! If that saves me $25 anyways... and I do... I have that old time religion before the catholics came in to takeover and "SAVE" all of us for their monetary gain!

I do hope this is just an April Fool's joke.....

Yes, just an April Fool ... however ... :? you never know about the future .......

Heck, if the Archdiocese really needs more income that badly they should start selling indulgences. No, wait! They've tried that already! :wink:

Trust me everyone about the confessionals and becoming a Catholic..being a theological student ready to graduate this November..it takes more than that to become a Catholic..like RCIA program in order to be introduced to the faith and instructed in catholic teaching..whoever stated that post about confessional and becoming a Catholic that way was misinformed.

Pax Vobis. :roll:
n

Nathaniel....if you check the date on Br David's post....you will see it was April 1st :lol:
Margaret

obviously bro. david has too much time on his hands for practical jokes..could spend his time saying a few extra rosaries..lol.
n

Trust me everyone about the confessionals and becoming a Catholic..being a theological student ready to graduate this November..it takes more than that to become a Catholic
Nathaniel,
I hope that you are being taught to be more tolerant ..... and teach harmony when you eventually graduate. The April 1st posting certainly livened up this forum. Asking for everyone to trust you, then telling someone to say more rosaries, is not in keeping with this happy non-judgmental forum which has helped so many active and non-active Catholics, and non-Catholics, from all parts of the world to participate in the Camino. Thank you Margaret for pointing the date out.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back