• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation on the VdlP: Do I need to book private?

I'm starting on the VdlP on 29 March & not feeling very confident re the accommodation in the early stages so far.
It seems it's impossible to book the Albergue Luz del Camino in Guillena and according to GK's book, the Municipal has been closed since Covid.
Is finding a bed each night on the VdlP going to be an issue? Do I need to book private accommodation just to be sure of getting a bed?
Reassurance please.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
According to Gronzena d my 2018 Gerald Kelly guidebook, there are two other possibilities.

These are the Albergue Luz del Camino and

Hostal Francis

Your other option would be to walk to Santiponce about 13K from Sevilla and then walk through Guillena to Castillo Blanco de Los Arroyos about 31kms

Just remember the Roman ruins at Santiponce apparently are closed on Mondays and on reduced hours Sundays. Something for you to check out fully.

It seems it's impossible to book the Albergue Luz del Camino in Guillena
Gronze has contact information and says that they take reservations.

Is finding a bed each night on the VdlP going to be an issue? Do I need to book private accommodation just to be sure of getting a bed?
I wouldn't expect it would be a problem, but there are a few places where there are small albergues (e.g. 8 beds) that can fill up. There always seemed to be somewhere else not too far away, and you will want to plan a few stages carefully to avoid long distances. You will get more comfortable with the situation and the needs, once you are on the ground. At most, I would think you might choose to book ahead a day or two. But plan your Easter week, and even the weekends, with an awareness that popular cities in Spain are, well, popular.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gronze has contact information and says that they take reservations.

I wouldn't expect it would be a problem, but there are a few places where there are small albergues (e.g. 8 beds) that can fill up. There always seemed to be somewhere else not too far away, and you will want to plan a few stages carefully to avoid long distances. You will get more comfortable with the situation and the needs, once you are on the ground. At most, I would think you might choose to book ahead a day or two. But plan your Easter week, and even the weekends, with an awareness that popular cities in Spain are, well, popular.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
By coincidence, I walked the VdlP in 2022, commencing in Seville on 29th March, like your plan.
I booked only my first night (in Santiponce) and then (usually on the same day) in some larger towns and cities. My Easter weekend was spent in Salamanca (where I booked an apartment to share with three fellow Pilgrims) and Zamora, where there was plenty of capacity in the municipal albergue.
There were a couple of places where the gossip among my fellow Pilgrims warned of bed squeezes in particular places, so I decided to walk a little further to the next place with accommodation.
The only point where my 'book same day, if at all' plan threatened to come unstuck was on the final days on the Sanabres, where my intended last stop had been booked out by a group. Instead, I arrived in Santiago at 6.00pm, having walked 45km.
My schedule did not include staying Guillena, so can't comment on that specific town, but I expect that you will not struggle too much for accommodation generally.

I walked the Via De La Plata in starting October of '21. I would try calling the albergue when you get into Spain. If it is true that they do not take reservations and you are a little nervous leave early and I am sure you will have no problems on the 29th. I have no idea if the VDLP sees a higher number of pilgrims during Semana Santa. But you are starting your camino just 2 days before the start of the holiday week. Be aware of that.

I started from Sevilla in late Sept this year. I had no problem with accomodation except around one fiesta and a couple of weekends in tourist towns - I lost track of days of the week. I probably booked ahead less than half the time. And there were always solutions when places were full.
PS. I stayed in Hostel Frances. And their bar does good food.

EDIT - Pilgrim only accomodation always had beds

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We plan to start from Sevilla on 28th March. I emailed Luz del Camino a few days ago but have not received a reply. We had previously booked to to stay there in March 2020 but of course had to cancel our Camino. On that occasion my emails were answered very promptly. My next step is to try via WhatsApp.
Does anyone have any other suggestions. We usually only book a day ahead if at all. Hope that philosophy works this time! We have booked 2 nights in Merida from from 5th April.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back