• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP- Albergue in Embalse de Alcantara

idesjardins

Hi everyone:
I hope someone can help me out. I am in Caseres and was planning to walk to Embalse de Alcantara tomorrow. From what I heard, there is only one Albergue in the village and it is closed at the moment. Is there an alternative available? I would hate to walk 33 km and not find a place to stay and then be forced to walk another 10 km to the next village of Grimaldi. I don’t think my feet could handle such a long distance.

Thanks for your help,

Ivan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Ivan
My intelligence on this route is a bit old now, but just been checking on Gronze and if that is correct then the albergue at Embalse is closed, and there is nothing else nearby at all. It's a further 11km to Canaveral, which has options, and then a further 8km to Grimaldo.
I recommend just walking the 11km to Casar de Casares and then you'll have 33km to following day to Canavaral. The albergue at Casar appears to be open. I really enjoyed staying there 12 years ago. In those days you picked up the key from the bar across the road.
FWIW our stages on this part were Casar de Caceres - Canaveral - Galisteo - Oliva de Plasencia - Aldeanueva etc
Cheers, tom

See this earlier thread:

Hi everyone:
I hope someone can help me out. I am in Caseres and was planning to walk to Embalse de Alcantara tomorrow. From what I heard, there is only one Albergue in the village and it is closed at the moment. Is there an alternative available? I would hate to walk 33 km and not find a place to stay and then be forced to walk another 10 km to the next village of Grimaldi. I don’t think my feet could handle such a long distance.

Thanks for your help,

Ivan

The albergue is the Embalse is closed and there is nothing available there. Your only options, as far as I know, are Casar De Cáceres (11 km from Cáceres) or Cañaveral, which is 11 km further on from the embalse. Your options aren’t great — either 11 km or 43.

Grimaldo is about 20 km from the Embalse, so you wouldn’t have to go that far.

Good luck and buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ha! Laurie and I posted simultaneously - with much the same info.
Laurie will remember that after the current modern albergue at Embalse opened in 2008 there was a long running albergue battle' with an existing private establishment close by. It was the subject of many conversations on this forum. The private place had closed by the time I walked by in 2010.

Hi Ivan
My intelligence on this route is a bit old now, but just been checking on Gronze and if that is correct then the albergue at Embalse is closed, and there is nothing else nearby at all. It's a further 11km to Canaveral, which has options, and then a further 8km to Grimaldo.
I recommend just walking the 11km to Casar de Casares and then you'll have 33km to following day to Canavaral. The albergue at Casar appears to be open. I really enjoyed staying there 12 years ago. In those days you picked up the key from the bar across the road.
FWIW our stages on this part were Casar de Caceres - Canaveral - Galisteo - Oliva de Plasencia - Aldeanueva etc
Cheers, tom
Hello Tom:
Thanks for your great suggestions and quick response. I really appreciate it.
Ivan

Hi - for what it's worth I walked Caceres to Canaveral (Albergue Turistico Hostel Canaveral) on March 4th. It was a long day (and it rained for several hours) but not too bad. Just remember to stock up in Casar de Caceres - there's a Dia on the Camino but not much after that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Ivan
Cheers, tom
Yes , we walked to casar de Caceres , stayed in the municipal which is fine , keys from the tourist office or the bar opposite . Then we walked to Cañaveral and sued at the hostal there which is very good 👍🏻We are now in Calzada de Bejar which has a lovely Albergue and the lady who runs it has a bar which does a good menu del dia .

Yes , we walked to casar de Caceres , stayed in the municipal which is fine , keys from the tourist office or the bar opposite . Then we walked to Cañaveral and sued at the hostal there which is very good 👍🏻We are now in Calzada de Bejar which has a lovely Albergue and the lady who runs it has a bar which does a good menu del dia .
Stayed not sued 😜

See this earlier thread:

The albergue is the Embalse is closed and there is nothing available there. Your only options, as far as I know, are Casar De Cáceres (11 km from Cáceres) or Cañaveral, which is 11 km further on from the embalse. Your options aren’t great — either 11 km or 43.

I chose the 11!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
there is only one Albergue in the village and it is closed at the moment. Is there an alternative available?
For clarity, there isn't even a village by the reservoir. There are some houses (possibly seasonal) but they are a bit off the Camino. You will need to walk 11 km from Caceres to Casar de Caceres, and then 33 km to Canaveral. The albergue in Canaveral is very nice.

See this earlier thread:

Thanks for the help
For clarity, there isn't even a village by the reservoir. There are some houses (possibly seasonal) but they are a bit off the Camino. You will need to walk 11 km from Caceres to Casar de Caceres, and then 33 km to Canaveral. The albergue in Canaveral is very nice.
Thank you very much for that clarification. All your feedback is helpful in making my plans for tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help Judithanne. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
See this earlier thread:

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone:

Thanks for your help,

Ivan
There's nothing available, the only choice is to walk on, I had the same problem last November.

Hi Ivan
If you get a moment, do let us know how it worked out to Canaveral. And how are you finding the VdlP at the moment?
Anything of note you've found along the way (places open/closed etc) Is it busy? And how's the weather and terrain?
Many thanks, tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Out of interest, is Cáceres-Cañaveral on a bus route?

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back