• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP and Sanabres

karen stowell

Time of past OR future Camino
walked first three days of santiago. hope to finish next year. but wanting to walk and ride.
Hoping to walk VDLP and Sanabres starting late May. We have roughly 30 days. Wondering if there are any obvious sections we could skip. Happy to walk 35kms a day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At that pace there is no need to skip anything. You'll get there (Santiago) in time. But you will have to skip a lot of experiences, IMHO. Don't take the VdlP lightly: It is a fantastic walk and experience. Use your time wisely. Slow down, if you can. You will be walking through Roman history.

Just my own experience, having done that walk.

Your choice of walking the Sanabres as the last etapa is wise, IMHO. More peaceful, and nice places.

Last edited:
Hoping to walk VDLP and Sanabres starting late May. We have roughly 30 days. Wondering if there are any obvious sections we could skip. Happy to walk 35kms a day.
Posibly Villafranca de los Barros to Merida will save you a couple of days, but others may disagree. As @alexwalker implies, you will need to forgo rest days in some of the beautiful cities you pass through.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe I was being a little keen about 35kms. I am sure we would prefer closer to 30kms and still get to enjoy as much as possible. Hence missing some bits.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks. Worth considering. I have just read that from Zamora to Riego del Camino can be a little boring. Any comments please

A couple I met in a similar situation bused from Zamora to Puebla de Sanabria.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Posibly Villafranca de los Barros to Merida will save you a couple of days, but others may disagree. As @alexwalker implies, you will need to forgo rest days in some of the beautiful cities you pass through.
We took a buss from Villafranca de Los Barros to Merida. It was a good choise because after rain the trail Is muddy.

We took a buss from Villafranca de Los Barros to Merida. It was a good choise because after rain the trail Is muddy.

Same - due to accomodation shortage because at a Huge fiesta in Zamora.
I also took a bus from Cásares to Canaveral again because of accommodation shortage (I didn’t want to / couldn’t walk over 30 Km at that stage).
If you don’t feel you have to walk every step I would start at Sevilla and see how you go. Otherwise as suggested Mérida might be a better starting point.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Salamanca was awesome the one time i did it before. I wouldn't skip that part. Nice university town, though my experience may have been influenced by a festival. They had musical groups set up all over the town from a local university.

At that pace there is no need to skip anything. You'll get there (Santiago) in time. But you will have to skip a lot of experiences, IMHO. Don't take the VdlP lightly: It is a fantastic walk and experience. Use your time wisely. Slow down, if you can. You will be walking through Roman history.

Just my own experience, having done that walk.

Your choice of walking the Sanabres as the last etapa is wise, IMHO. More peaceful, and nice places.
Happy to walk 35kms a day
I agree completely with Alex. I have walked the VDLP and I started in mid October and the first 10 days there was not a cloud in the sky and it was 90+ every day with hardly any shade anywhere. Be careful and do not bite off too much too soon. Early on it the camino may not be a physical challenge but it can be a mental challenge and you need to watch the weather. You also need to do more planning in terms of food and water than you would on any of the more crowded routes. I have heard (not sure if this is correct so someone with greater knowledge please correct) there can be some pretty heavy rains. Of course you can't even come close to predicting the weather these days. I would recommend starting even a little closer to Santiago than Merida and taking it a little easier (I don't know your hiking experience of course). It will give you a little time to visit some of the other cities if you choose and have a rest day or two. It is a camino we need to respect.

Last year I took a bus from Salamanca to Zamora to free up a couple of days . I had walked that stage previously .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Along with a few others on this forum I'm an advocate of walking a shorter camino rather than starting at the typically quoted/'traditional' start point and then skipping stages. I agree with C Clearly that it makes sense to start at Merida. There's not much that's memorable before there IMO.
Check out Seville then travel to Merida. Check out the Roman town then start walking. One of the amazing things about walking the VDLP is the sense of moving (under your own power) from the endless plain, to the high plateau and the Transhumance, to the chestnut woods and hills of Sanabria, and thence to the mountains of Galicia. I think it's a shame - and not necessary - to interrupt that experience with motorised transport.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back