• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP Budget is Ready! - All part of the Fun of Planning a Camino

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
A small milestone in Camino Planning was reached today :D

I don't know about you, but I have a separate Bank Account which is my 'Camino' Fund.

I feel a bit guilty if I take funds from our joint savings for 'my' Camino, so every now and again when I have a bit of spare cash, I drop it into my Camino account.

So over the last couple of years my 'Piggy Bank' has just now reached my budget goal for my next Camino :)

I guess it's just another way of 'playing' Camino whilst awaiting the next one. Checking how much I'll need, tweaking my budget spreadsheet, and putting a little away.

I actually use a foreign currency account with my local bank, which gives me an account in Euros, with an ATM card (plus backup card). OK, I'm a plan B kind of guy. So I also have a 2nd Euro account, with another pair of ATM cards. That just has a few hundred Euros as an Emergency fund, in case I lose cards on the main account or anything.

My next Camino, #4, I'm planning to be the VdlP in 2022. All based of course on the vaccine, fitness and weight loss planets aligning correctly.

Just a little bit of the planning process, but I feel a few steps closer..........

Oh, If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet, I explain how it's used here, and below the video there is a link to download the budget planner spreadsheet.

Mods, it's all non-commercial. The YT channel is not even monetised with Ads.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I don't know about you, but I have a separate Bank Account which is my 'Camino' Fund.

I feel a bit guilty if I take funds from our joint savings for 'my' Camino, so every now and again when I have a bit of spare cash, I drop it into my Camino account.

So over the last couple of years my 'Piggy Bank' has just now reached my budget goal for my next Camino :)

I guess it's just another way of 'playing' Camino whilst awaiting the next one. Checking how much I'll need, tweaking my budget spreadsheet, and putting a little away.

I actually use a foreign currency account with my local bank, which gives me an account in Euros, with an ATM card (plus backup card). OK, I'm a plan B kind of guy. So I also have a 2nd Euro account, with another pair of ATM cards. That just has a few hundred Euros as an Emergency fund, in case I lose cards on the main account or anything.

My next Camino, #4, I'm planning to be the VdlP in 2022. All based of course on the vaccine, fitness and weight loss planets aligning correctly.

Just a little bit of the planning process, but I feel a few steps closer..........

Oh, If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet, I explain how it's used here, and below the video there is a link to download the budget planner spreadsheet.

We need to be Plan B type people considering this year, most of us are already on at least Plan F! Personally, I stopped keeping track at about Plan J...but the piggy bank is reaping the rewards of delayed gratification. 😄 😇
Good luck with your planS...that's plural, not Plan S...heaven forbid! 😮
👣 🌏

I am a planner so I get it! I even have an actual camino piggy bank for all that loose change...its surprising how much 1p, and 5cent coins soon add up and generally it gives me a splurge at some stage like a hotel night. And it's a really nice reminder of what lies ahead every time I add money!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
its surprising how much 1p, and 5cent coins soon add up

I have a special saving ‘mechanism’ with my bank. Every time I use my Visa debit-card an extra 10 DKK (approx. 1.6 US$) is drawn and deposited into a savings account. Considering that I use my debit card hundreds of times a year it quickly adds up and I don’t really notice it, it all happens automatically. A nice ‘surprise’ when occasionally I look into the savings account :)

Thanks Camino Rob / terrific video and budget sheet!
The camino dreams continue....

I'm sorry, I must be missing something. I couldn't find where you put the spreadsheet so I could download it. Obviously, I found your spreadsheet to be quite useful for planning purposes, but where is it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
:eek: I've not heard of anyone planning a camino based on losing weight from the gravitational attraction of the planets before. Planning like this should ensure a good trip.

In the description below the video.
But here is the link: https://robscamino.com/2018/2019/budget-planner/

Nice tool.

But of course it only reminds me that for me the more difficult task is to get the free time (with job and family - and of course there should be a balance between the family-holiday and my camino holiday as well)(and of course this is only the current situation - I never know if I will have "too much time and too little money" in a few months). But I am lucky that I live in Europe - so travelling to Spain is not expensive.

If it would be necessary to cut costs on the Camino, that is easy as well... e. g. trying to sleep in albergues as often as possible, simple lunch and cooking dinner together with other pilgrims in the albergue... well, at least, if normal times without corona-restrictions will come again.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nice tool.

But of course it only reminds me that for me the more difficult task is to get the free time (with job and family - and of course there should be a balance between the family-holiday and my camino holiday as well)(and of course this is only the current situation - I never know if I will have "too much time and too little money" in a few months). But I am lucky that I live in Europe - so travelling to Spain is not expensive.

If it would be necessary to cut costs on the Camino, that is easy as well... e. g. trying to sleep in albergues as often as possible and cooking together with other pilgrims in the albergue... well, at least, if normal times without corona-restrictions will come again.

Yes, good points. Getting time away is hard. Whilst I run a business and so have 'freedom' regarding taking time off, it's still not easy, as others have to take on additional work while I'm away.

Maybe I just need to retire! :)

Easier said than done these days........

Nice job. I agree with what you noticed - it would benefit from having a DIY dinner cost field. I also think that the results fields *(where we see the final costs) would be better if it didn't look like a continuation of the columns above - so a little physical separation or a thicker border or color shading would help. And its confusing to have the Euro column on the right when the rest of the spreadsheet puts it on the left. (It seems even you got mixed up when presenting).

I hope that this comment is received in the spirit it's intended - as constructive feedback. Thanks for putting in the work on this.

Nice job. I agree with what you noticed - it would benefit from having a DIY dinner cost field. I also think that the results fields *(where we see the final costs) would be better if it didn't look like a continuation of the columns above - so a little physical separation or a thicker border or color shading would help. And its confusing to have the Euro column on the right when the rest of the spreadsheet puts it on the left. (It seems even you got mixed up when presenting).

I hope that this comment is received in the spirit it's intended - as constructive feedback. Thanks for putting in the work on this.

Thanks @Raggy that's good feedback :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Starting walking my caminos 15 years ago at a time when cash was essential, I 15 years later still go on saving up euro in cash for my next camino whenevver it will be. With 2 cancelled caminos and no idea of when the authorities will allow me to go to Spain, I hope to be able to go before the euros go out of date.

No beer allowance!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Starting walking my caminos 15 years ago at a time when cash was essential, I 15 years later still go on saving up euro in cash for my next camino whenevver it will be. With 2 cancelled caminos and no idea of when the authorities will allow me to go to Spain, I hope to be able to go before the euros go out of date.
Yes longing to get back on Camino's next year after this disaster going on Norte about 2nd June this will b my 15 th Camino to date just love them to bits.

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back