• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP from Cadiz

Kev&Kath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Oct/Dec 2021
VdlP - Apr/Jun 2023
I've read just about all previous commentary with regard to starting the VdlP from Cadiz. Unfortunately, most comments are now starting to show 'their' age, and I was wondering if anyone in the Forum had completed the Cadiz to Santiago route in more recent times. Obviously, interested in the possible growth of infrastructure and pilgrim support. I'm doubting much has changed...but you never know unless you ask. Starting and finishing at the sea (Muxia) has a certain pull.

Thanks in advance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was wondering if anyone in the Forum had completed the Cadiz to Santiago route in more recent times.

A Spanish pilgrim, Álvaro Lazaga just walked from Cádiz to Sevilla several weeks ago. His videos are short (5 days walking, one video a day). The first one is here. My reaction was that I didn’t see anything that would change the opinion I have gotten from forum posts, which is that this route is not high on my list.

Starting and finishing at the sea (Muxia) has a certain pull.

I have starteed several times at the sea (Levante from Valencia, Ebro from Deltebre, Catalán from Llançà, Mozárabe from Almería) and I would go back to all of them in a nano-second if I could. Mozárabe from Málaga is on my list — @Bad Pilgrim has just arrived in Málaga and is going to post live, so that’s another option!

A Spanish pilgrim, Álvaro Lazaga just walked from Cádiz to Sevilla several weeks ago. His videos are short (5 days walking, one video a day). The first one is here. My reaction was that I didn’t see anything that would change the opinion I have gotten from forum posts, which is that this route is not high on my list.

I have starteed several times at the sea (Levante from Valencia, Ebro from Deltebre, Catalán from Llançà, Mozárabe from Almería) and I would go back to all of them in a nano-second if I could. Mozárabe from Málaga is on my list — @Bad Pilgrim has just arrived in Málaga and is going to post live, so that’s another option!
Perigrina2000...thanks so much. I've not looked at Alvaro's video...will do right now. Appreciate your response and perspective. Seemingly, not much has changed from earlier posts to the forum. Cheers. Kev

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Peregrina2000...thanks for the referral to Alvaro's videos. Just finished watching all five and.....didn't look too bad to me....I was impressed with what I saw. I'll watch again with my wife (who speaks Spanish) and see if there's anything in his commentary that paints a different picture. Cheers, Kev

Don’t get me wrong, I would walk it if offered the chance. It’s just that other caminos are higher on my list.
LOL I can fully understand!

Given we're doing the VdlP in April next year, and we have no time constraints, I'm seriously considering Cadiz as the starting point. We'd still be looking to get a few days in Seville (have not been to Seville) to explore the city...then continue on.

Thanks for your recommending those videos...they didn't come up in my search. While I couldn't understand the dialogue....I did enjoy the scenery he captured. Cheers, Kev

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"possible growth of infrastructure and pilgrim support"

From what I've heard there hasn't been any on the Cadiz Camino.

Hi, Ive just walked cadiz to Muxia April/May. I too had read all the negative forum views but decided to go anyway. I really enjoyed the vis Augusta. I originally was going to skip the day 1 "horseshoe" by getting the ferry to El Puerto de Santa Maria but the ferry was out of action so walked it anyway. Feel free to message me directly. I walked in some unpleasant weather days with strong cold northerly winds but was not at all unhappy with the scenery which rivalled days on the journey to come. I think there are many who commented who do so anecdotally or didn't complete the journey. My only regret in getting to Astorga in hindsight I would have walked to Leon, to Oveido and popped up to coast to do south to north before wandering down the Primativo. If you have 6 days then go for it !!

"possible growth of infrastructure and pilgrim support"

From what I've heard there hasn't been any on the Cadiz Camino.
Hi Gerald,

Route well marked but not through the major towns. No Albergues I could find and no response from an attempt to contact the Amigos for any guidance.

Favourite moment was walking into El Cuervo de Seville like a scene from a western. I'm a bigger guy and stood out like the proverbial strolling into town. When I stopped for a late lunch the waitress apologised for everyone staring at me saying "we don't usually get foreigner's here, but don't worry I'm not from here either". Feeling her empathy, I enquired where my fellow foreigner was from. On clarification turned out to be a couple of villages away - quite the Andalusian stranger !!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Ive just walked cadiz to Muxia April/May. I too had read all the negative forum views but decided to go anyway. I really enjoyed the vis Augusta. I originally was going to skip the day 1 "horseshoe" by getting the ferry to El Puerto de Santa Maria but the ferry was out of action so walked it anyway. Feel free to message me directly. I walked in some unpleasant weather days with strong cold northerly winds but was not at all unhappy with the scenery which rivalled days on the journey to come. I think there are many who commented who do so anecdotally or didn't complete the journey. My only regret in getting to Astorga in hindsight I would have walked to Leon, to Oveido and popped up to coast to do south to north before wandering down the Primativo. If you have 6 days then go for it !!
Bill...thank you so much for feedback on your recent walk of the Augusta. In watching Alvaro's videos I was actually impressed with the 'look' of the walk. I've managed to get my head into a number of blogs from pilgrims that walked this year in the April/May/June timeframe and all noted the unseasonal weather (in parts) on the VdlP this past Spring. I'm hoping for warmer climes but will now be a little more prepared than I otherwise would have been. I will take you up on your invitation to email directly...appreciated. Cheers, Kev

I walked this route last August. Weather very hot, no albergues that I was able to find....had to stay in airbnb and hotels the whole way. Trail was reasonably well marked except through cities. While I enjoyed the walking, the lack of amenities for pilgrims was an issue.

I walked this route last August. Weather very hot, no albergues that I was able to find....had to stay in airbnb and hotels the whole way. Trail was reasonably well marked except through cities. While I enjoyed the walking, the lack of amenities for pilgrims was an issue.
Thanks Darleen. Yep...I've sort of gathered there's a general absence of albergues on this route; however, the identified (Gronze) stages all seem to have quite a bit of accommodation available...be it hotels or pensions. I haven't looked at Airbnb, but generally use that avenue of accommodation for longer stays. Yes...I noticed in Alvaro's videos that the way to Seville is very well marked. Appreciate your response! Cheers, Kev

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not a single other pilgrim the whole way, not even a boot print in the mud. Didn't worry me as only a few days and needed a decompression week, but made the paucity of pilgrims on the VDP seem like a very welcome flood ! That first night on the VDP in Guillena was a highlight :)

Bill...thank you so much for feedback on your recent walk of the Augusta. In watching Alvaro's videos I was actually impressed with the 'look' of the walk. I've managed to get my head into a number of blogs from pilgrims that walked this year in the April/May/June timeframe and all noted the unseasonal weather (in parts) on the VdlP this past Spring. I'm hoping for warmer climes but will now be a little more prepared than I otherwise would have been. I will take you up on your invitation to email directly...appreciated. Cheers, Kev
Best bit of kit I take on camino - Puffer jacket. Compresses to very little (C/W Fleeces) and has been the difference between comfort and not especially with unseasonal weather !

Not a single other pilgrim the whole way, not even a boot print in the mud. Didn't worry me as only a few days and needed a decompression week, but made the paucity of pilgrims on the VDP seem like a very welcome flood ! That first night on the VDP in Guillena was a highlight :)
Bill...with your significant input, and that of others, have now definitely locked in the VdlP start point at Cadiz. I was further moved to the Via Augusta after listening, last week, to a podcast (When in Spain - with Paul Burge) where a couple of the towns you walk through on the Augusta come very highly recommended...particularly for their sherry bodegas. I clearly wasn't aware that the D.O for sherry is situated in Jerez de la Frontera...as is the home of the famous Tio Pepe!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi guys,

Really pleased to hear it - I don't think you will be disappointed. I was really gutted not to have more tome at Frontera as was unwell with a chest infection and crashed but would highly recommend it. Just be aware the camino there doesn't stop at the Cathedral but the church of Santiago. The way marking in the towns is usually non existent - between towns is great.

Second tip if you look at my blog is I would have cut across the field to Las Cabezus - it had been a long day with the cold head wind and I hadn't allowed for the energy being sapped with only 1 lung functioning which may have clouded my view, but you will see the town off to the east and I should have deviated - makes it more of an adventure !

Third tip - On the road to Utrera unless in need of refreshments stay paralleling the railway line - don't get dragged off to Teajano. Total waste of time including the circle through town.

I will be interested to hear how you find it and hope there might be some more positive feedback on the forum rather than what I encountered. As an aside, you will get much kudos especially from the locals on the VDP and from other pilgrims when they find out you started in Cadiz !

Buen Camino and keep in touch !

Hi guys,

Really pleased to hear it - I don't think you will be disappointed. I was really gutted not to have more tome at Frontera as was unwell with a chest infection and crashed but would highly recommend it. Just be aware the camino there doesn't stop at the Cathedral but the church of Santiago. The way marking in the towns is usually non existent - between towns is great.

Second tip if you look at my blog is I would have cut across the field to Las Cabezus - it had been a long day with the cold head wind and I hadn't allowed for the energy being sapped with only 1 lung functioning which may have clouded my view, but you will see the town off to the east and I should have deviated - makes it more of an adventure !

Third tip - On the road to Utrera unless in need of refreshments stay paralleling the railway line - don't get dragged off to Teajano. Total waste of time including the circle through town.

I will be interested to hear how you find it and hope there might be some more positive feedback on the forum rather than what I encountered. As an aside, you will get much kudos especially from the locals on the VDP and from other pilgrims when they find out you started in Cadiz !

Buen Camino and keep in touch !
Bill,
Thanks for the tips...really much appreciated. We were always heading to Cadiz...my initial thinking, though, was singularly visiting and having a few rest days prior to catching the train to Seville to start the VdlP. I'm really happy I asked the question here as subsequent research has identified so much to see on the walk out of Cadiz!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back