• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP from Merida mid-March

Yooper B

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, April 2014
VDLP, April 2015
Camino Mozarabe, April 2018
Portuguese, April 2018
There's been a lot of discussion about this camino during other months, but I couldn't find much info about it in March. My husband and I plan to begin in Merida (we may still start in Seville) on March 14th and we have plenty of time ( 6 weeks). We're definitely not worried about crowded alberques, but are wondering when most of them open for the peregrinos for "the season". We did the Camino Frances from SJDP in April 2014 and are well aware this will be a different camino experience which we are really looking forward to! Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Yooper.

We must be neighbors -- I'm in Wisconsin. :) I've walked the VDLP in March several times now. While I stay in pensiones or casas rurales, not albergues, I usually stop in at the albergues to check them out because I've written a guidebook/app on the VDLP and continually update it. In my experience, while some albergues might still be closed in mid-March, the majority are open. One casa rural proprietress told me most open in March (on the VDLP). So I don't think you should have any problem. Remember that if you do, there are many pensiones and casas rurales available that are not at all expensive (15-25 euros per night, often including breakfast, and sometimes if they're a little bit off the route, they'll pick you up and take you back the next day).

Have fun!

Melanie

Hi Yooper.

We must be neighbors -- I'm in Wisconsin. :) I've walked the VDLP in March several times now. While I stay in pensiones or casas rurales, not albergues, I usually stop in at the albergues to check them out because I've written a guidebook/app on the VDLP and continually update it. In my experience, while some albergues might still be closed in mid-March, the majority are open. One casa rural proprietress told me most open in March (on the VDLP). So I don't think you should have any problem. Remember that if you do, there are many pensiones and casas rurales available that are not at all expensive (15-25 euros per night, often including breakfast, and sometimes if they're a little bit off the route, they'll pick you up and take you back the next day).

Have fun!

Melanie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Melanie,
We are neighbors, and my photo is of a Lake Superior sunrise where we live! I appreciate your info and am wondering how I can get a copy of your guidebook and your app? Please let me know.

Hi Yooper.

Have fun!

Melanie
Melanie...how can I get a copy of your guidebook/app?

You can get it from AppStore if you have iPhone. We used it last April and May when we walked from Seville to SdC. It was very useful. We found also useful maps from Peter Robin site (http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk). I copied them on my iPad mini. There are a lot wifi bars and other wifi hot spots.
Buen Camino,
Heikki

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can get it from AppStore if you have iPhone. We used it last April and May when we walked from Seville to SdC. It was very useful. We found also useful maps from Peter Robin site (http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk). I copied them on my iPad mini. There are a lot wifi bars and other wfi hot spots.
Buen Camino,
Heikki
Heikki,
Thanks for the info. I do have an iPhone so will be downloading it soon :) Do you know if the app is updated on a regular basis? I will also be checking out Peter Robin's site. We barely needed info on the Camino Frances this year, but I'm thinking the VDLP will be different.

Kind regards,
Nancy

It was up date on our Camino last spring, Melanie had walked the way four weeks before. I'll recommend Peter's maps if you take the Sanabres route, there is a big railway construction work going on. See for more details in this forum.
Heikki

March 14 ,2015 is when we are planning to leave from Merida. From my understanding it will be more difficult to find places to stay and distances will be longer but it will all work out

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Nancy.

Sorry about my lack of response. I must have my settings for the forum funny -- I didn't see your note come through until today. Argh! As Heikki said, the app should be pretty well updated. I usually walk half of the VDLP each year, so about half of the app should be very current and the other half only about a year old. Plus anyone can comment on an entry at any time. So pilgrims walking it right now can add a note in if, say, a restaurant I recommend is now closed, or a segment has been re-routed due to construction. I hope to be back on the VDLP in spring 2015, walking Sevilla to Salamanca. Perhaps our paths will cross!

Melanie

P.S. For any Android users out there, you can also get the app on Google Play.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back