• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP from Salamanca -Easter?

JohnMcM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some, and with luck, some more.
Has anyone had any recent (last 2-3 years) experience of walking the VdlP, from Salamanca, over the Easter period to Astorga, that you would please care to share?

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Never walked it but I would check to see what towns you go through have festivals, etc during that time period. It is Semana Santa and everyone goes somewhere on vacation. I am sure there is also an uptick in pilgrims.

On Palm Sunday 2017, I walked up to the Cathedral in Salamanca just as the procession was arriving in the afternoon.
  • Salamanca - Albergue Casa de la Calera without reservation but I think it did fill up. If you are starting there, I'd recommend making a reservation somewhere.
  • Calzada de Valdunciel albergue is small and filled up just before I arrived. I walked on another 6 km with 2 others to the pleasant Casa Saso. That's a private place, so you should check in advance whether it is open. Otherwise it might be another 10 km to El Cubo
  • Villanueva de Campean - I think there was 1 other person in my albergue, but there was another private albergue in town, with other pilgrims
  • Zamora - I arrived in early afternoon and easily got a bed at the albergue, but it did fill up. There was lots going on in Zamora during Easter week, and the albergue keeps strict curfew hours, so you might consider reserving private accommodation.
  • Montamarta - Several accommodation options.
  • Granja de Moreruela - I don't think the albergue filled up. There was a small procession
Up to Granja, there were maybe 10-15 pilgrims on the road each day. After Granja, though, it dropped to me and another couple, but a day later they took a bus to meet people elsewhere.
  • Benavente - big town with many options. I couldn't find the supposed municipal hostel (didn't try too hard) and stayed in a hotel.
  • Alija del Infantado - After a local in a small town invited me to Easter Sunday mass (but it didn't start for 2 hours so I declined), I arrived in Alija del Infantado where 1 other pilgrim was spending the night. We agreed that one room would be for women (me) and the other for men (him) and no one else arrived. Could not find anything open for food (being Easter Sunday) except the Repsol station. My dinner was barbeque-flavoured peanuts and stale Magdelenas, with perhaps the worst wine I've ever tasted.
  • La Bañeza - I was alone in the well equipped albergue - in a room with about 12 hospital beds, each with a different coloured bedspread. Very bizarre.
  • Astorga - The approach to the city is confusing, but you'll eventually get there!
So, I was on my own from Granja to Astorga. There were a few navigation questions but nothing I didn't figure out. The weather was perfect and I found the solo adventure and challenges to be fun. My Spanish is reasonably good, which helped a lot.

Most of the Easter events took place in Salamanca and Zamora - they were well worth attending, but reservations might be a good idea.

Was it the most scenic/historic/spiritual route? No.

Would I recommend it - of course! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back