• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vdlp in April 2020

nickymunch

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April 2018... planning Via de la Plata, Jan 2020
Hi everyone on here, I’m asking advice again :0) I originally planned my walk along the vdlp next January/February but found some accommodation closed so I’m leaving Seville now early April.... can anyone advise me on what the predicted weather may be and whether there are many water fountains along the way, compared to the Frances. When doing this last year I found hydration no problem but my instincts tell me the velocity will be more difficult.
Anticipating your response as always with gratitude.
Nicky

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
As for weather...who knows? Frankly it could be ho t,cold,wet,dry,rainy,boggy under foot,windy etc...especially in april. As you get further north it's even less predictable.i don't recall many fountains but i noted whether there were villages coming up where i could replenish water..otherwise i stocked up but it's not the CF which tends to pander to your every need

On the VdlP you really do have to plan ahead regarding water. There are a few very long sections (20km+) where there is either no drinking water source or only an unreliable one. So it is important to check your maps and guides before setting off and to carry enough water for the stage. Very unlike the Camino Frances where there will almost always be water, food or accommodation within a couple of hours walk on all but the most remote of sections.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks for the response omar504, I agree, my thoughts were that the weather will no doubt be unpredictable, I have read some responses on the forum that stated fairly hot weather in early spring so I guess I was wondering if this could be confirmed .
Thanks for your input!

Bradypus thanks for the input, I’m realising now that it’ll be completely different from the Frances and that I’ll need to be critical with my planning, thank you.

I would say April is the perfect time of year to walk from Seville. Some hot days at first in 2012 and 2017 from mid April. Travelling North there can be some cold days and the occasional raincoat day. I carry two bottles of water,one in each side of my pack also an Aquarius or bifrutis juice. only once did I run out and that was the long ,hot trudge to San Pedro de Rozados, I was in sight of town though. I know,I know I :rolleyes: should drink more but don't.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks camino07, I’m trying to work out the benefits of possibly taking an umbrella, for shade and for waterproofing... it’s a journey I’m really excited about making too, I’m hoping that there’ll be more solitude that was absent on the Frances. I appreciate your tips on the water bottles.
Many thanks

I would say April is the perfect time of year to walk from Seville. Some hot days at first in 2012 and 2017 from mid April. Travelling North there can be some cold days and the occasional raincoat day. I carry two bottles of water,one in each side of my pack also an Aquarius or bifrutis juice. only once did I run out and that was the long ,hot trudge to San Pedro de Rozados, I was in sight of town though. I know,I know I :rolleyes: should drink more but don't.

I just walked the first part to Salamanca in May and it was just starting to get hot. So, I suspect your timing will be perfect as regards temperature. Who knows about rain..... Compared to the Frances, the VDLP is quite a shock. But after the first few days of pasture land, few towns, less places to stop for water and trails that have a fine silt that sucks you in when it rains, it really starts to grow on you (and I'm not being facetious). I really enjoyed the lack of crowds, less English language than on the Frances so you get to practice your Spanish, and the food seemed to be better. And, as is typical, the people in the towns were fantastic, helpful, and just genuinely nice. Going back in the spring for the Salamanca to Santiago leg.

Hi everyone on here, I’m asking advice again :0) I originally planned my walk along the vdlp next January/February but found some accommodation closed so I’m leaving Seville now early April.... can anyone advise me on what the predicted weather may be and whether there are many water fountains along the way, compared to the Frances. When doing this last year I found hydration no problem but my instincts tell me the velocity will be more difficult.
Nicky
I started walking in mid-March this year and it was hot even then. Had to stop after a week due to blisters. AM going back next year and am starting on 6 Feb. Hope the accommodation will not be an issue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi simon B, thank for the response, sorry to hear about those blisters, on the Frances I lost 7 toe nails, no blisters but I still succumbed to something. Good luck next year
Nicky

I started walking in mid-March this year and it was hot even then. Had to stop after a week due to blisters. AM going back next year and am starting on 6 Feb. Hope the accommodation will not be an issue.

Thanks John, useful information regarding the vdlp, I’m certainly not fluent in my Spanish but I know I’ll get by and the more the need to speak it the more I’ll improve. Not looking forward to the sticky mud but in hardships we grow so I’m also looking forward to the challenges ahead. I was originally leaving early February but put it back a two months as I plan to sleep outside in a bivi on the odd night. Water will be my greatest concern so all the hints on that topic is greatly appreciated, thanks and good luck on the second leg of your Camino.
Nicky

I just walked the first part to Salamanca in May and it was just starting to get hot. So, I suspect your timing will be perfect as regards temperature. Who knows about rain..... Compared to the Frances, the VDLP is quite a shock. But after the first few days of pasture land, few towns, less places to stop for water and trails that have a fine silt that sucks you in when it rains, it really starts to grow on you (and I'm not being facetious). I really enjoyed the lack of crowds, less English language than on the Frances so you get to practice your Spanish, and the food seemed to be better. And, as is typical, the people in the towns were fantastic, helpful, and just genuinely nice. Going back in the spring for the Salamanca to Santiago leg.

Climate change is happening. The weather is getting very unpredictable. I had lovely weather in February and March. But I think April was bad this year. So you have to prepare for a wide range of conditions. I find Weatherspark very useful to get an idea of the range: https://weatherspark.com/m/34152/4/Average-Weather-in-April-in-Sevilla-Spain eg Sevilla the extremes are 7-30 deg C during the day in April. I think realistically you will get 5-25 deg C for most of the way.
Water is definitely the issue. I would have loved to have had a night out under the stars around Caparra but there is no water around there. If you are already running low then the vending machine at the visitor centre is your next option...but you need to to get to it while it is open. We arrived 5 minutes before it was due to shut on a Sunday afternoon but the staff had nicked off 5 minutes earlier. Northern Extremadura needs a bit of careful juggling because it can get pretty hot up there and if you stop in the wrong spots you may end up doing very long or very short days. You can 20-30 km stages though. My thread from June/July 2015 shows that. I really wanted to stop in Banos to take advantage of the termas. And it is a very nice walk from there to Salamanca the next day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@nickymunch
leaving Seville now early April.... can anyone advise me on what the predicted weather may be and whether there are many water fountains along the way.
Nicky
Hi Nicky
If the weather was what you’d expect in that region for April, it ‘would’ be lovely spring sunshine - but the world all over gives us surprises. This year some people on forum had very hot weather in March. I left Seville on April 7 and weather was between 10c and 20c for walking. Beautiful and temps were pretty constant. I carried 3 litres of water but never needed it. ( If it was right now August , you’d probably run out !). The water - didn’t see many water fountains but I made sure bottles were full when I left in mornings. I’m happy with out of the tap . Also depends on how long and far your days will be. Some people walk 40+ per day. I’m happy anything less than 30 .. some days had to be very short because of this to split a long stretch.
Have a look at gronze for stages but some others on this forum have generously posted some wonderful stage plans as a guide

I took a light pretty item (blouse) for evenings for eating in, but never wore it as it was always too cold during April and early May for me after walking to wear less than a merino top .

I would say April is the perfect time of year to walk from Seville. Travelling North there can be some cold days and the occasional raincoat day.
........I know,I know I :rolleyes: should drink more but don't.
I agree with April walking temps.
Still found some rainy days but as long as you’ve got your gear it’s ok -
The water I think you had all you needed- longer distances and hotter days would definitely be more difficult with water.

Nicky ,
The areas of sticky mud were frustrating- trying to scrape it clear but those days were minimal and you’ve got to expect some bad with the good

April 2020 Easter Sunday is 12th. So you’ll be slap bang in peak time in Sevilla. Good idea to decide on your accommodation now..
I tended to book here and there but I’d try for a few more Albergues early on if I did it again. Namely the first couple of days out from Sevilla. I walked with pilgrims here and there who had found room in Albergues

I did ‘rush’ one day to get a bottom bunk in Valdesalor.., but most places had some accommodation/ just have an idea of where you want to stay and call day before if you’re worried.
Definitely do this if you want to stay In Merida, Caceres..( big Easter goings on there-
I had booked for casa de Cásares (after Cáseres).
Also need to know whether Albergue at Embalse de Alcántara is open if you plan that as a stop.

Another tourist busy place for those enjoying thermal baths is Baños de Montemayor. I had booked a hotel days previously as heard it was full.
Others I walked with had a problem finding a place but all found something. They were persistent though

The weather is getting very unpredictable. I had lovely weather in February and March.

I would have loved to have had a night out under the stars around Caparra - ***
I really wanted to stop in Banos to take advantage of the termas. And it is a very nice walk from there to Salamanca the next day ****

I think Donna encountered warmer weather in the earlier months this year than April ,,, where is cooled off. That was 2019. Good luck for 2020

***. Cáparra on 26th April this year was too cold to be sleeping ‘ under the stars ‘. Although I did walk a while with a very hardy Englishman who said he’d had a couple of nights outdoors in the hedges. Brrrr.

****. Donna I wouldn’t think anyone could walk Baños to Salamanca in one day ?

Buen camino Nicky
Annie

I Start walking de Via de la Plata from Seville on april 7 2019

Nice temperture and some rain at time

On semana Santa try to book in advance for this week in large cities

The more you walk toward Santiago and colder it is becoming (climate change is real)

At time we got freezing rain and snow on the ground

April is the busiest time of the year for this camino and it will become the race for bed... not fun

You carry all the water and food of the day not much place to eat between cities

There is no shade on the camino so you need to protect your skin

@nickymunch

I think Donna encountered warmer weather in the earlier months this year than April ,,, where is cooled off. That was 2019. Good luck for 2020

***. Cáparra on 26th April this year was too cold to be sleeping ‘ under the stars ‘. Although I did walk a while with a very hardy Englishman who said he’d had a couple of nights outdoors in the hedges. Brrrr.

Buen camino Nicky
Annie

Definitely copped unseasonably pleasant weather in Feb/Mar this year. The year before had blizzards. I had prepared for mud and show on the Levante and copped nothing except nice weather.

Oops, I'm muddling up my days. Banos to Salamanca is 80 km. If you want to do an ultra you could do it in one very long day but I actually stopped in Fuenterroble and San Pedro. Fuenterroble is one of the friendliest refugios and I was very pleased I stopped there. San Pedro was nice too albeit albergue wars with scrubbed out arrows back in 2015 in the town. But it's a tiny village so if you end up walking around, you don't have to walk too far. And crappy phone reception if you need to use your data.
I really liked these 3 days and it is a little cooler here once you get over the border.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Donna, thanks for the massive advice, took onboard all that you said, I must admit the water will be my biggest concern so I’ll hsve to be vigilant there. I’ll check out your 2015 blog too, 👌
Nicky

QUOTE="Donna Sch, post: 776201, member: 33191"]
Definitely copped unseasonably pleasant weather in Feb/Mar this year. The year before had blizzards. I had prepared for mud and show on the Levante and copped nothing except nice weather.

Oops, I'm muddling up my days. Banos to Salamanca is 80 km. If you want to do an ultra you could do it in one very long day but I actually stopped in Fuenterroble and San Pedro. Fuenterroble is one of the friendliest refugios and I was very pleased I stopped there. San Pedro was nice too albeit albergue wars with scrubbed out arrows back in 2015 in the town. But it's a tiny village so if you end up walking around, you don't have to walk too far. And crappy phone reception if you need to use your data.
I really liked these 3 days and it is a little cooler here once you get over the border.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the massive feedback Annie, 20 degrees will be lovely and definitely 3 litres needed, having massive help from here, big thanks
Nicky

@nickymunch

Hi Nicky
If the weather was what you’d expect in that region for April, it ‘would’ be lovely spring sunshine - but the world all over gives us surprises. This year some people on forum had very hot weather in March. I left Seville on April 7 and weather was between 10c and 20c for walking. Beautiful and temps were pretty constant. I carried 3 litres of water but never needed it. ( If it was right now August , you’d probably run out !). The water - didn’t see many water fountains but I made sure bottles were full when I left in mornings. I’m happy with out of the tap . Also depends on how long and far your days will be. Some people walk 40+ per day. I’m happy anything less than 30 .. some days had to be very short because of this to split a long stretch.
Have a look at gronze for stages but some others on this forum have generously posted some wonderful stage plans as a guide

I took a light pretty item (blouse) for evenings for eating in, but never wore it as it was always too cold during April and early May for me after walking to wear less than a merino top .

I agree with April walking temps.
Still found some rainy days but as long as you’ve got your gear it’s ok -
The water I think you had all you needed- longer distances and hotter days would definitely be more difficult with water.

Nicky ,
The areas of sticky mud were frustrating- trying to scrape it clear but those days were minimal and you’ve got to expect some bad with the good

April 2020 Easter Sunday is 12th. So you’ll be slap bang in peak time in Sevilla. Good idea to decide on your accommodation now..
I tended to book here and there but I’d try for a few more Albergues early on if I did it again. Namely the first couple of days out from Sevilla. I walked with pilgrims here and there who had found room in Albergues

I did ‘rush’ one day to get a bottom bunk in Valdesalor.., but most places had some accommodation/ just have an idea of where you want to stay and call day before if you’re worried.
Definitely do this if you want to stay In Merida, Caceres..( big Easter goings on there-
I had booked for casa de Cásares (after Cáseres).
Also need to know whether Albergue at Embalse de Alcántara is open if you plan that as a stop.

Another tourist busy place for those enjoying thermal baths is Baños de Montemayor. I had booked a hotel days previously as heard it was full.
Others I walked with had a problem finding a place but all found something. They were persistent though

Buen camino Nicky
Annie

Thanks for the response Jean, all advice/tips are really appreciated do sunscreen is on the list 👌
Nicky

QUOTE="Jean Ti, post: 776194, member: 86938"]
I Start walking de Via de la Plata from Seville on april 7 2019

Nice temperture and some rain at time

On semana Santa try to book in advance for this week in large cities

The more you walk toward Santiago and colder it is becoming (climate change is real)

At time we got freezing rain and snow on the ground

April is the busiest time of the year for this camino and it will become the race for bed... not fun

You carry all the water and food of the day not much place to eat between cities

There is no shade on the camino so you need to protect your skin
[/QUOTE]

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning on cycling the VdlP in mid - April next year. A thing to note is that there is a national holiday in Spain around the weekend commencing Friday 1st of May. This coincides with the date I am expecting to arrive in Salamanca. When I checked the availability of accommodation for f this weekend, I found it to be in short supply. So if your future planned trip puts you close to any of the Tourist spots you may need to be flexible on your travel plans to ensure you get a bed for the night(s)

Thanks Marcus.... I’m hoping to pass through Salamanca on approximately the 28th April but I’ll try and reserve a bed, thanks for the heads up and have a great journey 🚴‍♂️
Nicky

Thanks camino07, I’m trying to work out the benefits of possibly taking an umbrella, for shade and for waterproofing... it’s a journey I’m really excited about making too, I’m hoping that there’ll be more solitude that was absent on the Frances. I appreciate your tips on the water bottles.
Many thanks

I took an umbrella on the VDLP (silver UV hands free one), and I am very glad I did!

Buen Camino
Davey

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Marcus.... I’m hoping to pass through Salamanca on approximately the 28th April but I’ll try and reserve a bed, thanks for the heads up and have a great journey 🚴‍♂️
Nicky

Hi nickymunch,

I walked Seville to Salamanca in May this year. Salamanca is well worth a taking a day off to visit and sightseeing.

It seems to me you are very well versed in the need to be cautious about carrying enough water.

I wanted to add two pieces of information you may or may not be aware of for your consideration.

Firstly, regarding water. I found that even though the availability of water was potentially a problem, the "actual path" itself, if I didn't get lost, meant that as far as I could tell, I was hardly ever, if at all, more than roughly 1km from farms, roads in use and other potential sources of water/aid in an emergency. That combined with the Alert Cops app made me feel safe. I still carried a minimum of 2 litres though.

Secondly, and again, thinking of water needs etc, some people have described the Via de la Plata as the Via de la Flatta. It isn't, it has it's own hills and physical challenges. Not as bad as other Caminos I agree, but they are there and ready to catch out the unwary or poorly prepared pilgrim.

Buen (fluid-filled) Camino

Thanks Davey for the response, I’ve also been checking them out, they fix onto a backpack.... are they sturdy to withstand a strong gust though?
Nicky

QUOTE="Davey Boyd, post: 776707, member: 41950"]
I took an umbrella on the VDLP (silver UV hands free one), and I am very glad I did!

Buen Camino
Davey
[/QUOTE]

Thanks johnMcM for the hydration tips and the app suggested, as you gave great advice can I ask, did you encounter many rogue dogs on your Camino that made you feel uneasy? And I’ve gave myself an extra day in Salamanca for the very reason you suggested.
Thanks
Nicky

QUOTE="JohnMcM, post: 776718, member: 26004"]
Hi nickymunch,

I walked Seville to Salamanca in May this year. Salamanca is well worth a taking a day off to visit and sightseeing.

It seems to me you are very well versed in the need to be cautious about carrying enough water.

I wanted to add two pieces of information you may or may not be aware of for your consideration.

Firstly, regarding water. I found that even though the availability of water was potentially a problem, the "actual path" itself, if I didn't get lost, meant that as far as I could tell, I was hardly ever, if at all, more than roughly 1km from farms, roads in use and other potential sources of water/aid in an emergency. That combined with the Alert Cops app made me feel safe. I still carried a minimum of 2 litres though.

Secondly, and again, thinking of water needs etc, some people have described the Via de la Plata as the Via de la Flatta. It isn't, it has it's own hills and physical challenges. Not as bad as other Caminos I agree, but they are there and ready to catch out the unwary or poorly prepared pilgrim.

Buen (fluid-filled) Camino
[/QUOTE]

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Hi Simon. We are going to pic up from Fuente de Cantos on March 7 - hopefully good weather!

Nicky

Nicky:

I started walking March 20th. Walked Sevilla to Salamanca. It did not rain once, snowed the day before Salamanca, and it never got too hot.

That said, you could have rain every day. Do not worry about weather, just be prepared.

There are some long days. This route has a lot of short day or long day choices. The biggest issue is water. Whatever your needs for daily water, make sure you are carrying it. There are not any water fountains that I recall.

There are no real steep climbs on this section but a few challenging days.

Ultreya,
Joe

I posted 'Live from the Camino, March 20th" a brief note each day.

Thanks Joe for the advice, water will be the main issue and I’ll do my best to stay vigilant.
All the best
Nicky

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Started at Easter, so early April
Thanks, Davey. That's when I was thinking of starting. Easter is April 12th this year. Thought if I waited until the 13th there may be less people needing beds. But I hate walking in heat. I could start around April 1st instead. I will only go as far as Salamanca or Zamora. You mentioning you were glad taking the umbrella has me a bit concerned is why I asked when you started.

Thanks, Davey. That's when I was thinking of starting. Easter is April 12th this year. Thought if I waited until the 13th there may be less people needing beds. But I hate walking in heat. I could start around April 1st instead. I will only go as far as Salamanca or Zamora. You mentioning you were glad taking the umbrella has me a bit concerned is why I asked when you started.

If I did it again I would start a week or two after Easter, or a week before. Easter seems the main start time for the VDLP and the albergues were packed, lucky I was able and willing to sleep outside.

Not only was it hot when I started but on the VDLP there are very long stretches of no shade, that is where the brolly came in really handy.

It is a wonderful route though! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Davey

If I did it again I would start a week or two after Easter, or a week before. Easter seems the main start time for the VDLP and the albergues were packed, lucky I was able and willing to sleep outside.

Not only was it hot when I started but on the VDLP there are very long stretches of no shade, that is where the brolly came in really handy.

It is a wonderful route though! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Davey
I'm going to look into starting April 1st. I will be going with two family members so may have to arrange lodging ahead of time if I can figure all that out ahead of time. You've been helpful. Thanks again.

I'm going to look into starting April 1st. I will be going with two family members so may have to arrange lodging ahead of time if I can figure all that out ahead of time. You've been helpful. Thanks again.

When you start, if it feels busy, best to book a day ahead. You may not need to. Further on I had no problems.

Buen Camino Chrissy
Davey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back