• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP in June/July 2017

koknesis

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014
CA&CS 2015
VdlP 2017
CP 2018
CM 2019
So, it is set now :)
Arriving in Madrid on 12.o6. To Sevilla then, and hope to hit the road next morning ...
Planing to reach SdC by the 8-9th of July.
I know, it might be hot, so meanwhile I am enjoying refreshing skiing tracks over here :)
Buen Camino to everybody!

IMG-20170226-WA0003.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So, it is set now :)
Arriving in Madrid on 12.o6. To Sevilla then, and hope to hit the road next morning ...
Planing to reach SdC by the 8-9th of July.
I know, it might be hot, so meanwhile I am enjoying refreshing skiing tracks over here :)
Buen Camino to everybody!

View attachment 32218

Oh, very nice! :cool:
Enjoy the VdlP and buen camino!

Ooh you are doing a quick one! Definitely doable though. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, very nice! :cool:
Enjoy the VdlP and buen camino!

Thanks, I will! Not so certain yet, which final route to take - Sanabres or through Astorga. CF might be pretty crowded in summer. I liked to stay at monasteries, and both Oseira and Samos are worth to visit them again.

Ooh you are doing a quick one! Definitely doable though. Buen Camino!

Thanks! Let see how it will go :). On CF the average distance was about 36km/d. Here then the target would be about 40km/d. I would like to go as light as possible, aiming at 7kg max for the backpack (+2.5l of water perhaps). Should I finally cut the handle of my toothbrush then? ;)

Thanks, I will! Not so certain yet, which final route to take - Sanabres or through Astorga. CF might be pretty crowded in summer. I liked to stay at monasteries, and both Oseira and Samos are worth to visit them again.

Decisions, decisions! I was going to suggest the Sanabres as it seemed to me the 'natural' continuation of the VdlP .... but notice you've walked it already.... Mmmm...I love the CF too, even in July, never found it THAT crowded....
I guess you'll have to decide on the spur of the moment , what a lovely dilemna :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks! Let see how it will go :). On CF the average distance was about 36km/d. Here then the target would be about 40km/d. I would like to go as light as possible, aiming at 7kg max for the backpack (+2.5l of water perhaps). Should I finally cut the handle of my toothbrush then? ;)

When it was very hot, we needed at least 3l water. There are long stretches without a cafe/shop/fountain and even when you expect one, it could be closed :confused:
Definitely cut that handle, I'd say! Oh, and the labels from your clothes ;):D

Decisions, decisions! I was going to suggest the Sanabres as it seemed to me the 'natural' continuation of the VdlP .... but notice you've walked it already.... Mmmm...I love the CF too, even in July, never found it THAT crowded....
I guess you'll have to decide on the spur of the moment , what a lovely dilemna :)

Yeah...
"Just-a get that vagabond feeling
Get it on the road" ... a song by Steve Forbert

When it was very hot, we needed at least 3l water. There are long stretches without a cafe/shop/fountain and even when you expect one, it could be closed :confused:
Definitely cut that handle, I'd say! Oh, and the labels from your clothes ;):D

Thanks for the tip! I got an Osprey Hydraulics LT 2.5l Reservoir, so then an extra 1l bottle could be taken for the longer stretches. At the moment the biggest dilemma is - will my lovely Inov8 Roclites survive this camino? Or should I upgrade to something more sturdy? They would be fine for off-road walking, but do not like tarmac/asphalt (or is it the same thing?)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the tip! I got an Osprey Hydraulics LT 2.5l Reservoir, so then an extra 1l bottle could be taken for the longer stretches.
Perfect.

Not sure if it would be helpful to you or others but just in case...: when we started walking in June 2015, there was a heatwave and we came from 12deg max England :rolleyes: I bought some hydrating powder from a farmacia and added it to one bottle of water. It tasted vile (especially when warm!) but I am sure it helped us survive the first few days... After that we got used to the heat and then, it turned cold! :D:D

Does anyone the % of the VDLP is on asphalt/tarmac

I just can't remember but my husband seems to think is was just under half on tarmac...
I know that I sometimes deliberately chose the road (although I hate it of course) so as not to get lost or avoid a long deviation.... From memory, around Alcántara and A Gudiña/Laza.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perfect.

Not sure if it would be helpful to you or others but just in case...: when we started walking in June 2015, there was a heatwave and we came from 12deg max England :rolleyes: I bought some hydrating powder from a farmacia and added it to one bottle of water. It tasted vile (especially when warm!) but I am sure it helped us survive the first few days... After that we got used to the heat and then, it turned cold! :D:D

Very good point indeed! Keeping a proper electrolyte balance is very important. I usually take a pack of Biolectra SPORT tablets when hiking. I believe I would not survive incinerating GR20 last July without them.

Actually Gr20 was long time a kind of Holy Grail for me, until having walked Camino Frances in 2014 I understood I can do it. Nowadays there are other challenges, so I hope walking VdlP can provide some answers again :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

My first shot at the VDLP was in midsummer, against the advice of locals and people with experience.
I grew up in the commonly 110 degree San Joaquin Valley, had worked on the border of Tucson and Mexico in 115 degree heat, and figured, "It can't be THAT bad!"
I was wrong.
It was dangerously hot.
We tossed in the towel quite soon, and I picked up and continued another year in a less-stressful season.
I'll be surprised if you manage 40K per day in that "heat that falls like a curtain," as Reb described it.
It literally takes your breath away.
We were shocked at the number of listed fountains that were dry as a bone, with no relief in sight.
I'd advise carrying more than 2.5l of water on many stages.
Buen Camino! It's a lovely route but can be seriously deadly in midsummer.

Thanks for the encouragement Annie! I know the heat should be taken seriously. I live in the country where the most silliest ever competition used to take place. People heated them up till the death - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Sauna_Championships ...
nevertheless it is deep in the tradition, so there are well hidden dark chambers, which we visit now and then to enjoy that sweet feeling of thermal exhaustion ...
now seriously, you are right, but I feel it is a part of the challenge. I hope I can do this (with water enough and electrolyte tablets), so let see, at least I hope I will be not be freezing :)

WP_20170303_20_11_18_Pro.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement Annie! I know the heat should be taken seriously. I live in the country where the most silliest ever competition used to take place. People heated them up till the death - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Sauna_Championships ...
nevertheless it is deep in the tradition, so there are well hidden dark chambers, which we visit now and then to enjoy that sweet feeling of thermal exhaustion ...
now seriously, you are right, but I feel it is a part of the challenge. I hope I can do this (with water enough and electrolyte tablets), so let see, at least I hope I will be not be freezing :)

View attachment 32244
People have done it and enjoyed it so I don't mean not to be encouraging. ::chuckling::: just realistic based on my own experience.
I hope you have a wonderful, uneventful walk!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

View attachment 32244

I'm walking the Mozarabe from Almeria, starting May 25th, joining the VdlP at Melide. I'm from Texas and do a lot of Southwest US desert hiking, but I'm still concerned I've made a really stupid route decision here. I know it defies all the good sense advice of those in the know.

Oh well, I'm stubborn. I'll make 5am starts, and carry a reflective umbrella, hydrating powder and lots of water and see what happens.

I'd say maybe we'll cross paths north of Melide, but your pace is beyond me. I've got a pretty hard 30 km max. :confused:

I could be wrong, but I'd say maybe just 30% road? If I am wrong, then I'd at least add that many of the road portions are very little-trafficked paths in between tiny towns. So maybe it just didn't seem like a lot of road-walking to me.

Melanie

I'm walking the Mozarabe from Almeria, starting May 25th, joining the VdlP at Melide. I'm from Texas and do a lot of Southwest US desert hiking, but I'm still concerned I've made a really stupid route decision here. I know it defies all the good sense advice of those in the know.

Oh well, I'm stubborn. I'll make 5am starts, and carry a reflective umbrella, hydrating powder and lots of water and see what happens.

I'd say maybe we'll cross paths north of Melide, but your pace is beyond me. I've got a pretty hard 30 km max. :confused:

Thanks Fenix! Yes, indeed, it would be a pleasure to meet you out there :)
The blue Osprey Stratos with the Forum badge might be easily to spot. Anyway the nordic walking double poling step, which was my favourite on caminos so far (like in the video attached from sec 22), was somehow not so frequently used by other pilgrims :):)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How about going to Astorga, take the CF for a couple of days to Ponferrada and then walk the Invierno to Lalin/A Laxe and join up with the Sanabres? And if you do this, take a ton of photos, blog all the details etc because I want to do this in 2019 :p

My best camino buddy did this at the same time of the year. Never came across any other pilgrims until Merida. Then he got stuck with me from Merida. Hah! Both of us were doing our first camino and had the approach of "I may only do this once so let's pick the longest one I have time for!"

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
How about going to Astorga, take the CF for a couple of days to Ponferrada and then walk the Invierno to Lalin/A Laxe and join up with the Sanabres? And if you do this, take a ton of photos, blog all the details etc because I want to do this in 2019 :p

thanks for the tip Donna! it sounds like this might be a pretty interesting option. perhaps it is possible to join Sanabres already at Oseira (the monastery was probably the brightest spot on my previous Sanabres). from Rodeiro it is about 20km, but I have to explore a bit closer the stages on Invierno.

7 sleeps before setting off.
Temperatures approaching +40C expected … getting ready for a barbecue party :)

screen-shot-2017-06-07-at-14-51-52.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
7 sleeps before setting off.
Temperatures approaching +40C expected … getting ready for a barbecue party :)

View attachment 34361
That is an oven. In April when we were reqching 27C. that was quite enough for me: welts on my arms, sunburned forehead, and that was using my trusted silver umbrella. Was carrying 3 liters daily and had to really use it carefully. Nope, you will not find me on that route after mid-May.

Wondering if it will be too hot in early September to finish my interrupted VDLP from Salamanca via Sanabrese. Has anyone walked at that time?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wondering if it will be too hot in early September to finish my interrupted VDLP from Salamanca via Sanabrese. Has anyone walked at that time?
Too hot for me! Google "salamanca clima septiembre" and see what you think.

Thanks Anemone, I will be walking North so it will get cooler. Maybe need to start in middle of month but do want to meet some pilgrims. Quandary !!

Thanks Anemone, I will be walking North so it will get cooler. Maybe need to start in middle of month but do want to meet some pilgrims. Quandary !!

In June 2015 it was around 36, 38 deg. in Sevilla, Mérida, Caceres.... But somewhere before reaching Salamanca (Carcaboso)it started raining and the temperature dropped to 12 deg.! We were COLD and Salamanca was wet and miserable! :eek:
It got very hot again in Ourense (40) but manageable after that.
Difficult to tell for sure what the weather will bring, even in Summer! :)
Buen camino.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In June 2015 it was around 36, 38 deg. in Sevilla, Mérida, Caceres.... But somewhere before reaching Salamanca (Carcaboso)it started raining and the temperature dropped to 12 deg.! We were COLD and Salamanca was wet and miserable! :eek:
It got very hot again in Ourense (40) but manageable after that.
Difficult to tell for sure what the weather will bring, even in Summer! :)
Buen camino.

Certainly couldn't cope with high temps like that. Hopefully not so high in September. :eek:

I walked the Norte end of September into October and it was hot. I remember a digital thermometer by a farmacia in Santillana showing it was 34C. early in the morning. I would walk alone during the day but albergues were quite busy. The north of Spain maybe the northern most part of the country, but is a south of a whole part of the world and far from nordic.

Managed to squeeze in 6.8kg dry weight :) Let see whether runners will last long enough ...

20170611_143030(0).jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sometimes it's not the heat, it's the sun beating down on you. 32C in the shade isn't bad. In the direct sun it's draining and awful. A wet sun hat really helps.

Bilbao.jpg
37 deg in Bilbao June 2015. I hate to think what it must have been like in the middle of the country. looking at the shadows I don't think this was the hottest time of the day?

:) 1:30 pm here, it's 43.1C
This coming Tuesday the prediction is for 49C. But it's a dry heat. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I second the silver umbrella idea. Makes a huge difference in the temperature and also provides sun protection. A wet merino buff around the neck is also good.
Burn Camino!

:) 1:30 pm here, it's 43.1C
This coming Tuesday the prediction is for 49C. But it's a dry heat. :)
Still a dangerous heat especially if there is no shade and you are on the road. If it is possible to do a short stage that day and finish by lunchtime that would be the best. No shame in calling a taxi in those conditions. Or throw in a rest day. And you don't just need a wet buff, you need a wet T-shirt!

I am in Merida now, having a day off. Five days spent on VdlP have been really hot, reaching 43-45 in the middle of a day. Water consumption is about 1.5l per 10km, and some of it goes also on the hat. Additional electrolytes also required. Walking mostly in solitude, even though already met another member of this forum. I like how it goes, but if the heat does not give up, I may consider cutting down daily distances, because of distracting hassle with all this life support.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Buen camino and above all take care @koknesis :)

Thanks a lot domigee! Last two stages to Cacera have been somehow easier. At least my shirt gets wet again. Before it instantly dried. The negative side is I have to tape my nipples again :(
At the moment there are two more pilgrims doing such camino around me. Mr. Inov8 from Germany and Mr.Keen from Hungary. One can easily spot their footprints on the trek. We occasionally meet at auberges. Last night in Alcuescar monastery me and Mr.Keen were the only pilgrims there. Mr.Inov8 is somewhere ahead, but I follow his footprints!

Before it instantly dried. The negative side is I have to tape my nipples again :(
Count your blessings. 51%, or so, of the population constrains theirs daily, regardless of the weather. :eek:

Now, please be careful with the temps. And when you stop in or walk to Alsea del Cano, visit the local community center that houses the albergue and ask if the have mollejas, even if you don't see them on the menu del dia board. The lady who runs the place makes delicious ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks a lot domigee! Last two stages to Cacera have been somehow easier. At least my shirt gets wet again. Before it instantly dried. The negative side is I have to tape my nipples again :(
At the moment there are two more pilgrims doing such camino around me. Mr. Inov8 from Germany and Mr.Keen from Hungary. One can easily spot their footprints on the trek. We occasionally meet at auberges. Last night in Alcuescar monastery me and Mr.Keen were the only pilgrims there. Mr.Inov8 is somewhere ahead, but I follow his footprints!

Too much info about the nipples :D;)
Glad you have some company, it's a nice feeling to see footprints, I remember it well!
Ultreia!

Your tracking skills definitely get a workout on the VDLP. And the excitement when you see a new set of tracks or the tracks of someone you know that you thought was ahead of you.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back