• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP in September or October

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there @Momwiz. In A Gudiña, you are actually starting at about eight days into the Camino Sanabrés. The official VdlP leaves from Granja de Moreruela, and continues north to Astorga. It is the Camino Sanabrés that heads northwest from Granja de Moreruela to A Gudiña. However, that said, this section is still often known as the VdlP, by many people, but technically, it is not correct. :)

This is a most lovely way, and it is in A Gudiña that the real mountain walking begins. However, if you could start the Sanabrés at least on the second day, in Santa Marta de Tera, you will see the historic church, the Iglesia de Santa Marta de Tera that houses the oldest known sculpture of Santiago as a pilgrim.

Then on day five, Puebla de Sanabria is a fabulous place, with its fortress and historic churches as well! I wish you could do the entire Camino Sanabrés!

However, there is plenty to see after A Gudiña, including glorious mountain scenery, the medieval preserved town of Seixalbo, the city of Ourense and it's historic thermal baths used by pilgrims for centuries, the incredible monastery of Oseira, roman roads, roman bridges, etc! You will not be disappointed.

Start on my day's journey, in A Gudiña and read all about my experience and recommendations for this wonderful Camino. One of my absolute favorites! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi there @Momwiz. In A Gudiña, you are actually starting at about eight days into the Camino Sanabrés. The official VdlP leaves from Granja de Moreruela, and continues north to Astorga. It is the Camino Sanabrés that heads northwest from Granja de Moreruela to A Gudiña. However, that said, this section is still often known as the VdlP, by many people, but technically, it is not correct. :)

This is a most lovely way, and it is in A Gudiña that the real mountain walking begins. However, if you could start the Sanabrés at least on the second day, in Santa Marta de Tera, you will see the historic church, the Iglesia de Santa Marta de Tera that houses the oldest known sculpture of Santiago as a pilgrim.

Then on day five, Puebla de Sanabria is a fabulous place, with its fortress and historic churches as well! I wish you could do the entire Camino Sanabrés!

However, there is plenty to see after A Gudiña, including glorious mountain scenery, the medieval preserved town of Seixalbo, the city of Ourense and it's historic thermal baths used by pilgrims for centuries, the incredible monastery of Oseira, roman roads, roman bridges, etc! You will not be disappointed.

Start on my day's journey, in A Gudiña and read all about my experience and recommendations for this wonderful Camino. One of my absolute favorites! Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for your encouraging reply! What time of the year did you walk and was it recently? Can I assume that there will be stretches where there are no bars or cafes along the way?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked in the fall of 2019, just before the pandemic hit. And yes, indeed, there are only bars/cafes in the towns, and the distance is far between them in the mountains, so carry plenty of water and snacks!

We walked in the fall of 2019, just before the pandemic hit. And yes, indeed, there are only bars/cafes in the towns, and the distance is far between them in the mountains, so carry plenty of water and snacks!
Thank you! That confirms what I thought. Since mine will be a spiritual pilgrimage, I welcome more information on churches, chapels, grottos etc. that we may encounter and pray at along “the Way”.

There are a lot of fabulous little churches along the way, where I always pause in gratitude! However, most are closed if you are just passing by during the day. I make note of them in my journey, documented on my website, so maybe cruise through the pages of the Camino Sanabrés and take notes. For sure, don't miss the Monastery in Oseira. You can tour it, and if you stay there for the night you can join in with the monks in the evening. However, the last I heard the albergue was still under construction, but you CAN look at their website and book a room, specifically and only for spiritual purposes. The cathedral in Ourense is a must-see, especially the side chapel, the Capilla Santo Cristo. You can read about it and its mystical properties in the link. And again, the Iglesia de Santa Marta de Tera is extremely special, due to how old it is and the special solstice phenomenon that occurs there. Scroll to the bottom of the page in the prior link to read about it. And for me, the mountains themselves are spiritual, so you can always find a high spot to pause and connect with the Cathedral of Nature! You will love it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back