• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vdlp Jan 2014

fortview

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
Cotswold Way July 2014
European Peace Walk August 2014 (John)
Hi all,
Have been reading around this part of the forum, which is very helpful.
My husband is 60 in January, and we would like to walk the Vdlp, maybe starting on his birthday 24th Jan :)
We walked the Frances last Sept and used sleeping bag liners. Also used the Altus poncho, but I'm wondering if its going to be enough for Jan on this route.
Will most albergues be open in Jan?

So, from what I've read, a sleeping bag would be a good idea, waterproofs, layers, thermals, and expect any kind of weather! Does that cover it? Any further advice welcomed ! Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We can start later than Jan if that would be a better time to go!

So, from what I've read, a sleeping bag would be a good idea, waterproofs, layers, thermals, and expect any kind of weather!
That about covers it :D

Last winter was very dry, this winter was/is very wet and it has snowed in the most surprising places. I walked from Sevilla to Caceres in March last year, the sun shone virtually the whole time and the days were very warm but some of the nights were freezing and I slept fully dressed, in a sleeping bag, with a blanket. This winter has been very, very wet. this morning we have had snow and hail and now the sun is shining, and this is March :)

By March, when I walked, the Albergues were open but I am sure some will be closed in January. There are usually alternatives and many hotels are very cheap, especially when there are 2 of you sharing.
Buen camino whatever you decide.
Sue

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello fortview,

I have just computer the via de la plata/camino sanabrea (laza) from sevilla to sdc. I can not tell you what the weather will be liked in 2014. But this year the weather was horrendous. I walked for 36 days and it was raining for 14 days with 2 days of snow and strong wind.

I am 69 years old and will be 70 in may. I would strongly recommend that you do not start the camino in january. Based on my experience, many of the municipal albergues are closed in january. Some will open around the 15th of february, some at the beginning of march. But many will open in april. If necessary, i would ask you to email the ayuntamiento or ring them up in advance to find out whether they are open or not. Many will tell you it is closed down for reforma (improvement or upgrading) or vacaciones (holiday), but the truth is many are closed in the winter month due to budgetary constraint or economic reason. And it is not always sure it will re-open again. Also, if you are arriving late after office hour, make sure you telephone ahead in order that you can gain entrance to the albergue.It gets expensive if you have to stay in private hostals (hostal particular) on a regular basis.

Another possible problems you will probably encountered is the swelling of the stream crossing with heavy rain. Some of the streams i have crossed, the water is at least 2 feet deep. I would suggest you take off your hiking boot and walk across. Be careful of the slippery stones under the water. It would be a good idea to have a couple of baston (walking pole) to support you while crossing the streams. Do not attempt to cross on uneven movable rocks.

Any other advice i can give you, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you so much for your replies.
Piogaw, we will take your advice and plan to start later, late march to April instead. It is invaluable to have your advice. Well done to you for completing your camino, it sounds incredibly tough :shock:

Correction:

I have just completed instead of computer. My apology.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, piogaw,
Congratulations on completing your Vdlp. All of you late winter pilgrims have had a lot of weather to contend with, sounds like it was much more ferocious than most of us have experienced.

I'm going to be walking the Sanabres this June and wonder if you could post your stages, just for information. I will have fewer days than I did the last time I did this, so I'm interested in hearing how others have done it. Many thanks, buen camino, Laurie

Hello laurie,

I have not have a chance to review all my notes. Here are the stages of my via de la plata walk. I want to emphasize that some of the stages are very long due to the closure of municipal albergues or inability to find a hostal. Also for other reasons which i will explain at a later date.

Stage 1. Sevilla-guillena
2. Guillena-castilblanco de los arroyos
3. Castilblanco de los arroyos-almaden de la plata
4. Almaden de la plata-el real de la jara
5. El real de la jara-monesterio
6. Monesterio-fuente de cantos
7. Fuente de cantos-los santos de maimona
8. Los santos de maimona-villa franca de los barros
9. Villafranca de los barros-merida
10. Merida-alcuescar
11. Alcuescar-valdesalor
12. Valdesalor-casar de caceres
13. Casar de caceres-grimaldo
14. Grimaldo-carcaboso
15. Carcaboso-oliva de plasencia
16. Oliva de plasencia-aldeanueva del camino
17. Aldeanueva del camino-calzada de bejar
18. Calzada de bejar-fuenterroble de salvatierra
19. Fuenterroble de salvatierra-san pedro de rozados
20. San pedro de rozados- salamanca
21. Salamanca-el cubo de la tierra del vino
22. El cubo de la tierra del vino-zamora
23. Zamora-fontanillas de castro
24. Fontanillas de castro-tabara
25. Tabara-santa marta de tera
26. Santa marta de tera-mombuey
27. Mombuey-puebla de sanabria
28. Puebla de sanabria-lubian
29. Lubian-a gudina
30. A gudina-laza
31. Laza-xumqueria de ambia
32. Xumqueria de ambia-ourense
33. Ourense-cea
34. Cea-laxe (lalin)
35. Laxe (lalin)-outeiro
36. Outeiro-santiago de compostela

The stages are actual days of walking. I spent two nights in sevilla before starting my camino. i also stayed an extra night in merida and three extra nights with friend in salamanca. I hope this information will be of help to you.

I am still in spain. I will analysed all my data when i return to london monday next.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
piogaw, what was the albergue in Cea like?
I've read everything from "it was very nice" to "it was horrible"
If it's ok, I will plan on staying there.
If it was "horrible" then maybe I'll find other lodging.
Thoughts?

hi laurie, just to let you know i am back home in london. give me a shout if i can help you in anyway as you will be repeating your via de la plata this coming june.

i hope to see you when you arrive in santiago as i will be working as a hospitalero the whole month of june at the newest albergue, el albergue fin del camino in santiago. we can swap stories then about the via de la plata.

just to let you know, my best friends during the first week of the camino were, a stubborn cow and a much more stubborn horse standing in the middle of the country path blocking my way.

hi anniesantiago,

i don't know what kind of stories have you been hearing about the albergue in cea, i can assured it is not true. it is a very nice hostel.

to be honest with you the best municipal albergues in the camino de la plata are those owned by the xunta de galicia. they are modern and very new with all facilities. a few of them have motion sensored activated switch for the lights during the night. the dormitory for the cea albergue is upstair. bathrooms are segregated. there is a kitchen with full facilities, a dining room, a lounge with sofa. if you want quiet, go to the other end of the dormitory as the bathrooms are directly beneath the stair. every second bunk has a radiator heater with full heat during the winter when i was there. the hospitalero, orlando, is not the friendliest guy when i was there. he favors peregrinas over peregrinos (nothing wrong). be sure to turn off the lights when you leave any of the room. there are thin blankets in each bed. but we were not cold during this past winter as the heating is on all night. there were 3 of us in there - an english girl, a spaniard and i. do not put your wet clothes or anything wet on top of the radiators, he will go bonkers as some of the radiators have been stained.

please note two of the albergues are a long way from town. the one in lalin (laxe) is at least 5 kilometers out of town going towards santiago. the hospitalera,victoria lives closeby and is a very nice lady. and the albergue in outeiro is at least 2-3 kilometers from town. pilar is the hospitalera,another very nice lady. but they are both very new and nice places to stay.

oh, make sure to go to the bakery in town and buy a loaf of bread. cea is famous for its bread which is baked in traditional wood ovens. there are 2 supermarkets in town, and at least one cafe-bar. do try the orujo (aguadiente, moonshine). when you order a black coffee (cafe solo or so called cafe americana as in the us), they will usually placed a bottled of orujo with a spigot in front of you. you can put in as much as you want in the coffee. it is free. just don't drink too much. wouldn't want to start your day drunk. this is a tradition in galicia. if they don't placed a bottle in front of you, assuming you are a foreigner and not accustomed to it, ask for it.

buen camino. see you in santiago maybe.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back