• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP next April

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
We are planning to start in Sevilla during Holy Week next April. We realise that there will be many people in Sevilla at this time but would like to see some of the festivities.
Has anyone any advice for us regarding this time? Also, any other suggestions would be most welcome. Are there too many people setting out from Sevilla during mid April that should make us rethink our start dates?
Thanks Sharon

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've left Seville on the Tuesday after Easter (2013) and on Good Friday (2016) and was still able to find a bed each night at the albergues. But, for the VdlP, it will be crowded at that time of year and you'll probably need to take some extra precautions. Just get to the albergues by 2:00 in the afternoon and you should be fine. If you're going to be later than 2 or 3, see if you can find a place that takes reservations.

If you plan to be in Seville for Semana Santa, make your hotel reservation early. I highly recommend the Hotel Simon that's only a block from the Cathedral. One caveat - with all the processions going through the Cathedral at all hours of the evening, it will be noisy. So you may want to book a place a little more off the beaten track.

I've left Seville on the Tuesday after Easter (2013) and on Good Friday (2016) and was still able to find a bed each night at the albergues. But, for the VdlP, it will be crowded at that time of year and you'll probably need to take some extra precautions. Just get to the albergues by 2:00 in the afternoon and you should be fine. If you're going to be later than 2 or 3, see if you can find a place that takes reservations.

If you plan to be in Seville for Semana Santa, make your hotel reservation early. I highly recommend the Hotel Simon that's only a block from the Cathedral. One caveat - with all the processions going through the Cathedral at all hours of the evening, it will be noisy. So you may want to book a place a little more off the beaten track.
Thanks so much. Great info. I was thinking of Hotel Simon. When you left on Good Friday, was anything open in the way of bars or restaurants?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sharon, we are 4 Australian women leaving Granada at the end of Holy Week 2017. We may meet on the V de l P.

Hey Sharon
Might meet up again next year , i'm walking with a camino buddy starting the week after Easter. God willing

Hi Heather. We would love to see you along the way. Bob, Chrys and I are walking , so shades of last year. Can't wait. But as you said, God willing. My mum is 92 so all revolves around her good health.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Sharon, we are 4 Australian women leaving Granada at the end of Holy Week 2017. We may meet on the V de l P.
Sounds like there will be many Aussies along the way. Hope to see you. I love Granada. There are many wonderful places to visit there.

Thanks so much. Great info. I was thinking of Hotel Simon. When you left on Good Friday, was anything open in the way of bars or restaurants?

I had no problems finding some place open for food or drink. Yes, the pilgrim restaurant in Guillena opened a little late because of the Semana Santa procession, so we just sat at the bar and drank vino until they were ready to serve food.

Hi @sharon w, You’ll LOVE Semana Santa (be prepared for crowds like you’ve never seen in your life - hard to escape but oodles of fun). Find an English-speaking local to explain what/how the processions are and which ones to see. You can spend days (and nights) enjoying the spectacle.

As for accommodation, you would be best to stay in the centre but places around the Cathedral will be noisy almost 24 hours a day. Stay in the ‘old town’ but try for a place (say) nearer Plaza del Duque (where the big El Corte Ingles is). This is a wonderful spot to see all the Pasos (processions) as they head to the Cathedral. I used to live near here and it’s a gorgeous area and very central. There are quite a few AirBnB places in this area too. Worth signing up if you’re not already a member.

Another suggestion is to stay in Sevilla and enjoy the atmosphere 2-3 days after Semana Santa - you’re sure to miss the bubble then.

If you would like to ask specific questions, please PM me.
Buen Camino, Grace

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @sharon w, You’ll LOVE Semana Santa (be prepared for crowds like you’ve never seen in your life - hard to escape but oodles of fun). Find an English-speaking local to explain what/how the processions are and which ones to see. You can spend days (and nights) enjoying the spectacle.

As for accommodation, you would be best to stay in the centre but places around the Cathedral will be noisy almost 24 hours a day. Stay in the ‘old town’ but try for a place (say) nearer Plaza del Duque (where the big El Corte Ingles is). This is a wonderful spot to see all the Pasos (processions) as they head to the Cathedral. I used to live near here and it’s a gorgeous area and very central. There are quite a few AirBnB places in this area too. Worth signing up if you’re not already a member.

Another suggestion is to stay in Sevilla and enjoy the atmosphere 2-3 days after Semana Santa - you’re sure to miss the bubble then.

If you would like to ask specific questions, please PM me.
Buen Camino, Grace
Thanks Grace. I have been to Sevilla after our Camino in 2012. It was in July so fairly quiet because of the heat. There will be 4 of us walking so I will share your advice with them. For me, I would love to see some of the processions. However, before or after Semana Santa would still be good.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also am planning to start from Seville around mid-April 2017. I want to arrive in Santiago May 23 and am in the process of determining stages. Don't know the exact date yet that I would be starting in Seville. One side of the coin says Seville at Easter might be interesting. The other side of the coin says I don't like crowds (and don't really want to follow a pilgrim bubble post-Easter). I certainly understand the need to book accommodations in Seville around that time. Does anyone know if crowds are bigger before or bigger after Easter?

Hi Steve. We may meet you along the way. We plan to arrive in Santiago on 25th May. As previously stated we are leaving on 15th April. Not sure about numbers till we get there I suppose.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back