• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP or Portuguese in April ?

Babyboomergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2018
Finisterre/Muxía 2018
Norte 2019
Greetings from Australia ,

Oh the excitement of planning another Camino.
Having originally hoped to walk the VdlP in 2020 after walking different routes the previous three years life and Covid happened.
Three years later and not so Camino fit I’m starting to think the CP starting in Lisbon might be a better choice. Feeling slightly anxious about the long stages and potential lack of accomodation on the VdlP, although it’s the one I always had in mind.

Would love to hear pros and cons for each camino, especially from those who have walked both ,with a starting date towards the end of April.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked the VDLP three times now all starting in April just after Easter. Many pilgrims at the start this year but they spread out after a week or so and I was left with a lovely group of folk who I would meet on and off until Santiago.
Next year I am starting from Lisbon on 13th April . Hoping there are a few pilgrims to meet on the way. I'm up for the challenge but don't expect it to be as beautiful as the the VDLP.
I'm also from WA so PM me if you wish to know more .

I have walked the VDLP three times now all starting in April just after Easter. Many pilgrims at the start this year but they spread out after a week or so and I was left with a lovely group of folk who I would meet on and off until Santiago.
Next year I am starting from Lisbon on 13th April . Hoping there are a few pilgrims to meet on the way. I'm up for the challenge but don't expect it to be as beautiful as the the VDLP.
I'm also from WA so PM me if you wish to know more .
Thank you . That’s very reassuring as I was also concerned that the weather on the VdlP might be starting to get too hot towards the end of April.
I have just started looking at flights from Perth and trying to work out a loose itinerary for timing . When that’s sorted I’ll be in touch for some more advice .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a potential third option in the Caminho Português de Nascente. Geographically, it's between the two others. Fewer Albergues, but it is shorter than the VDLP.

Would love to hear pros and cons for each camino, especially from those who have walked both ,with a starting date towards the end of April.
And greetings from Sydney!

I have walked both, in 2018. I left Seville in late April and walked the VDLP and Sanabres, and later the same year left Lisbon in mid October and walked the Portuguese. The weather was pretty much perfect on the VDLP - cold enough in the mornings that I had to wear gloves at the start, then sun but not too hot. It was cold and rainy for a few days on the Sanabrés but cleared up before Ourense and was great from then to SDC. On the Portuguese it was lovely from Lisbon until Porto, when winter arrived, and from Vigo on it rained all the way to SDC.

I much preferred the VDLP. Loved the landscape, loved the walking surfaces, loved the cities, and met several groups of people with whom I am still friends.

And greetings from Sydney!

I have walked both, in 2018. I left Seville in late April and walked the VDLP and Sanabres, and later the same year left Lisbon in mid October and walked the Portuguese. The weather was pretty much perfect on the VDLP - cold enough in the mornings that I had to wear gloves at the start, then sun but not too hot. It was cold and rainy for a few days on the Sanabrés but cleared up before Ourense and was great from then to SDC. On the Portuguese it was lovely from Lisbon until Porto, when winter arrived, and from Vigo on it rained all the way to SDC.

I much preferred the VDLP. Loved the landscape, loved the walking surfaces, loved the cities, and met several groups of people with whom I am still friends.
Thank you for these comments. I am now feeling much more confident to stay with my original plans to walk the VdlP. The postponed 2020 Camino and our lockdowns and exorbitant flight costs have all contributed to pre Camino jitters .
Hoping to book flights soon and revisit all the notes I made in 2020 !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a potential third option in the Caminho Português de Nascente. Geographically, it's between the two others. Fewer Albergues, but it is shorter than the VDLP.
Thank you. Another one to consider !

Totally agree that starting the Vdlp in late April is ideal. I have started from Sevilla twice — once in mid April and once in early May, and the weather both times was terrific. One of the real natural highlights was the area called the “dehesa”, mainly in Extremadura. It translates as “meadow” or “grassland,” but that just doesn’t do it justice. It’s an area with holm oaks, babbling brooks in springtime, lots of huge boulders, flowers, just glorious in the springtime. I remember once leaving Aljucén early in the morning as the sun was rising. Soon after I was in the middle of one of these areas and I came across a man sitting and watching the sun rise with tears running down his face — really! It is just that spectacular if you are lucky with the weather.

The Vdlp has got the highest concentration of monumental cities of any camino I’ve walked — hard to beat a combination of Sevilla, Cáceres, Mérida, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense.

I love the Portugués too, but like @Kanga, I would choose the Vdlp, no question.

The Vdlp has got the highest concentration of monumental cities of any camino I’ve walked — hard to beat a combination of Sevilla, Cáceres, Mérida, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense.
If this is for the Way of Saint James, you've forgotten Astorga, Ponferrada, and of course Santiago de Compostela itself.

Or in its non-Camino version, León and Gijón.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have walked the Portuguese in September 2017 from Lisbon to Porto via the traditional route, and then from Porto to SdC via the coast.

Lisbon was fantastic but the first couple of days from Lisbon on the way to Tomar were a bit disappointing. From there on, we enjoyed our Camino, especially Tomar, Porto and the coastal route.

We don't live near the NSW coast, so the coastal route was quite special for us.

The Portuguese people and food added to our Camino experience with people stopping to give us fruit and water bottles and just happy to see Pilgrims. We felt very welcome in Portugal indeed.

Having said that, we are hoping to return to do the Vdlp in March next year and planning has begun in earnest. Be sure to check out the VDLP threadis on this forum. There is some excellent advice!

Always happy to help with Portuguese advice is you decide to walk that one!

Cheers

Graham

We have walked the Portuguese in September 2017 from Lisbon to Porto via the traditional route, and then from Porto to SdC via the coast.

Lisbon was fantastic but the first couple of days from Lisbon on the way to Tomar were a bit disappointing. From there on, we enjoyed our Camino, especially Tomar, Porto and the coastal route.

We don't live near the NSW coast, so the coastal route was quite special for us.

The Portuguese people and food added to our Camino experience with people stopping to give us fruit and water bottles and just happy to see Pilgrims. We felt very welcome in Portugal indeed.

Having said that, we are hoping to return to do the Vdlp in March next year and planning has begun in earnest. Be sure to check out the VDLP threadis on this forum. There is some excellent advice!

Always happy to help with Portuguese advice is you decide to walk that one!

Cheers

Graham
In what way was the first couple of days disappointing ?

I would have thought any Camino and the freedom they bring would have been delightful. What was it missing ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Having originally hoped to walk the VdlP in 2020 after walking different routes the previous three years life and Covid happened.
Three years later and not so Camino fit I’m starting to think the CP starting in Lisbon might be a better choice. Feeling slightly anxious about the long stages and potential lack of accomodation on the VdlP, although it’s the one I always had in mind.

I walked the VDLP this year in Spring , great option, you can break the distances. I had one day over 30kms and no real trouble with finding a bed. Highly recommend

Totally agree that starting the Vdlp in late April is ideal. I have started from Sevilla twice — once in mid April and once in early May, and the weather both times was terrific. One of the real natural highlights was the area called the “dehesa”, mainly in Extremadura. It translates as “meadow” or “grassland,” but that just doesn’t do it justice. It’s an area with holm oaks, babbling brooks in springtime, lots of huge boulders, flowers, just glorious in the springtime. I remember once leaving Aljucén early in the morning as the sun was rising. Soon after I was in the middle of one of these areas and I came across a man sitting and watching the sun rise with tears running down his face — really! It is just that spectacular if you are lucky with the weather.

I love the Portugués too, but like @Kanga, I would choose the Vdlp, no question.
Hello Peregrina .Thinking about walking it again as loved the VDP too . But what do you think weather will be like starting from Seville end March ?

Thank you. VdlP it is ! I’m feeling very excited now with only four months to wait 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you and good luck with your planning.
I had purchased the guide books and bookmarked lots of threads on the VdlP in 2020 and was very disappointed not to go then so I’m feeling very happy that I can return to a Camino next year.
I will stay with my original plan to start in Seville and add the Portuguese Camino to my every increasing lists of “one day”

I've loved reading this thread. I walked Lisboa to Santiago starting on 18 September 2019; and then this year I walked half of the VdlP from Sevilla to Salamanca, beginning on 28 April. I'm booked to return and complete the VdlP / Sanabres this coming April/May.
Wow - both were brilliant. The highlight of autumn on the Portuguès was the abundant fruit - plucking ripe juicy figs from trees right on the path - - what a gift. And Spring on the VdlP - - definitely the wildflowers. Accommodation was a bit tight on the VdlP this year but i managed OK. Can't wait to be back in late April again.
Buen Camino peregrina....
(Brisbane fella here, by the way)

In what way was the first couple of days disappointing ?

I would have thought any Camino and the freedom they bring would have been delightful. What was it missing ?

We found parts of the route from Sacavem to Santarem very industrial and without much natural beauty with lots of rubbish etc. There was a constant stream of dead fish floating by in the river for the two days as well and this was concerning. Add a bit of jet lag to it (Australia to Lisbon via Madrid is a long flight, a cancelled hotel booking - hotel shut down by the police I understand just after our arrival in Lisbon), and yeah - it was a bit meh - especially considering Lisbon was a pleasure to see and experience for two days before walking.

We would still recommend walking from Lisbon but we have read advice from others regarding taking the train to Santarem and beginning from there.

So there you have it.

Yes - Walking any Camino is delightful and wonderful but there might be sections of any Camino where your expectations aren't quite met.

The only thing is that you have to walk the Camino to know :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Appreciate this thread. My husband and I are hoping to walk the VdlP in mid-April 2023 as well. Had planned to do it in 2020 and were derailed by COVID. Been doing a lot of walking to keep in shape. Now it is about time to do so,e real planning.

I walked the CP from Lisbon in October 2019. Accommodation between Lisbon & Porto was not set up for pilgrims as on most other Caminos, after Porto, yes.
I’m planning the VdlP for March/April 2023.
Also from DownUnder on the Sunshine Coast.

Another Aussie
Hoping to use this thread to help plan this year's Camino. I've done 2 Frances and last 500km of vdlp. Planning to start late August with Irish friends from 2nd Frances walk. They are leaning towards Frances again whilst I'm leaning towards a different route.

I thought that the Frances was a better Camino for most people than the vdlp. Better history, better sense of spiritual pilgrimage, less road walking. However I loved my vdlp Camino. I needed a quieter walk at the time and I loved that I pretty much knew everyone on the path and most nights at the Albergues.

So.. I'm wondering how the Portuguese from Lisbon compares to the second half of the vdlp. If it is roughly comparable I think the other guys will enjoy the change from the Frances and a quieter walk. However I'm getting the sense reading this thread that the Portuguese from Lisbon is not as good walking as the vdlp. In which case I'm not going to suggest it to the others. Btw obvious other candidate Norte/primitivo locked in for June next year.

Any chance to walk a Camino is a blessing.

Any input would be appreciated.
Cheers P.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Planning a CP in April, but I’ll join others with concern about Lisbon -Porto stage lengths and accommodations. Contrary to some of the other posts, this isn’t a stage, but rather half of the Camino!

Are the accommodations concerns about the type of albergues available (e.g municipal, private), or a lack of any type of albergue?

Are the stage issues about the recommended stages in the guide books, or
are the distances between towns just too far apart?

I walked the CF in 22 and while I referenced Brierely regularly, I did not adhere to his stages. I’d rather make my own decisions about where to spend my time and overnights. Will someone with experience on the CP please leave their 2¢ here?

Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back