• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP or Sanabres?

BrienC

Author of Camino Child
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Francés, VDLP, Norte
2022: Portuguese
I have a while yet to decide, but wondering what people think about the choices. I plan to trek Seville to Santiago later this year. Should I finish up on the CF from Astorga or take the Camino Sanabres into Santiago?
I completed the CF last year but was moving so fast that I didn't stop to see much. Interested in touring the Templar castle in Ponferrada and such. However, I'm interested too in seeing a completely new route.
Thoughts?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Definitely not planning to "rush it." Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the same dilemma. The Sanabres looks lovely with few people and beautiful scenery. However have decided to go via Astorga to get the "Frances" experience. I'm even looking forward to the crowds from Sarria onwards.

This is the kind of decision where you can't lose: either way will be a win.

Burn camino

You may not fancy the thought of crowds after walking the VdlP... In which case Sanabrés it is ;) . Trust your mood.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I loved the Frances, but to me trying a different Camino is a no brainer. I would love to go back in the future, but there is just too much undiscovered to, at this time, retrace steps.

BTW, one of the planning routines I did and enjoyed the most was studying the cultural aspects of the towns the night before. I can say I explored many churches, went into castles, climbed hills, never placing kms/day or time of the day ahead of a chance to explore a sight and learned something.

Having walked both, I would definitely go for the Sanabres. But you don't have to decide until the last moment - maybe depending on whether you want to stay in step or out of step with others at the time.

Completely agree, however there are one or two hills that might have you questioning the wisdom of your choice, its more of a challange than the Astorga option (I've done both) I chose the Sanabres after seeing Maggies 'photos of the Sanabres, check her Mozarabe blog out.
Regards.
George

Most of the other people on the vdlp will be going on the Sanabres. So that might influence your decision.

I have a while yet to decide, but wondering what people think about the choices. I plan to trek Seville to Santiago later this year. Should I finish up on the CF from Astorga or take the Camino Sanabres into Santiago?
I completed the CF last year but was moving so fast that I didn't stop to see much. Interested in touring the Templar castle in Ponferrada and such. However, I'm interested too in seeing a completely new route.
Thoughts?

Hi,

Another option for you is: to go to Astorga on Vía de la Plata, then do about two stagest to Ponferrada on CF, and then take the Camino de Invierno towards Santiago. Each of these choices has its own character and is beautiful in its own weay, so differences concern mostly how crowded they are and what you prefer:

CF = crowded, as you know
Sanabrés = less crowded
Invierno = possibility of meeting almost no other pilgrim... But good marking, possibilities of lodging and so on.

Check it out!

Bye bye

/BP

BTW, one of the planning routines I did and enjoyed the most was studying the cultural aspects of the towns the night before. I can say I explored many churches, went into castles, climbed hills, never placing kms/day or time of the day ahead of a chance to explore a sight and learned something.
Very well stated. I promised myself after completing the CF in 20 days that during my next Camino I would "explore more, stick my head—and the rest of me—into churches more often... I’ll venture into museums, and go off the beaten path, go to that village not on the Camino to experience real rural Spain, away from the pilgrim crowds and supporting infrastructure."

Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having walked both, I would definitely go for the Sanabres. But you don't have to decide until the last moment - maybe depending on whether you want to stay in step or out of step with others at the time.
Thank you Magwood. This is the first-hand opinion I was hoping for. That I have received other great suggestions is icing on the cake.

Completely agree, however there are one or two hills that might have you questioning the wisdom of your choice, its more of a challange than the Astorga option (I've done both) I chose the Sanabres after seeing Maggies 'photos of the Sanabres, check her Mozarabe blog out.
Regards.
George
Hills don't bother me. As Katharine Hepburn said, "Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer." Not saying a trek or pilgrimage should include suffering. It's just that, sometimes, a little suffering opens up bigger possibilities or at least a hell of a view at the top.

Thank you.

Another option for you is: to go to Astorga on Vía de la Plata, then do about two stagest to Ponferrada on CF, and then take the Camino de Invierno towards Santiago.
Interesting third option. I'll check this out. It may come down to time, as I want to complete every step (just how I roll), but not rush.

Thank you.

Thank you Magwood. This is the first-hand opinion I was hoping for. That I have received other great suggestions is icing on the cake.

Actually my response was a little misleading. I haven't walked to Astorga on the VdlP, so can't give an opinion on that section. I was referring to having walked the Camino Frances and experienced the stages from Astorga. But I would still recommend the Sanabrés.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually my response was a little misleading. I haven't walked to Astorga on the VdlP, so can't give an opinion on that section. I was referring to having walked the Camino Frances and experienced the stages from Astorga. But I would still recommend the Sanabrés.

Okay, I've done both but... In that case I would also go for the Sanabrés, as many above have suggested. Reasons: Upwards on the Plata to Astorga (on the stretch that doesn't connect with the Sanabrés) I remember a lot of asphalt (it doesn't bother me, but I know others don't like to walk on it) and sometimes confusing, or rather rudimentary, waymarkings. The markers looked like someone just recently put them there but without painting or putting any Camino-signs on them so I wasn't sure of what they were. There were also a few streches before and around Benavente that I didn't recognize from my guidebook at all. I was never lost but very unsure. Some streches were also horribly boring, but someone else may see them differently of course... And some nice towns, like Alija del Infantado and Benavente. And I saw a wolf before reaching Astorga! :O) On the whole, that part (more or less a week to reach Astorga) I count as one of the least interesting, so, as I said, I would turn to the Sanabrés if I was to do this again...

/BP

And I saw a wolf before reaching Astorga!
That's amazing! Must have been pretty cool to see.

I'm certainly leaning Sanabrés. But going to go with the flow, or the mode, at the time.

Thanks everyone!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I'm certainly leaning Sanabrés. But going to go with the flow, or the mode, at the time.

Thanks everyone!

That's right, you don't have to decide until you ge to the spot. You won't be disappointed with the Sanabrés, so it's a safe option though... Buen camino!

BP

Yes it was cool, but shy as they are, he trotted away as soon as he saw me so our tête-à-tête was all over within a few seconds. I've seen another one: leaving Escalona on the Camino de Levante. So, keep your eyes open! :OD

/BP

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just done our first day on the Sanabres. Best Day Yet.
We saw a fox and two eagles up close!
Also pretty darned call. I was somewhat disappointed on the CF last year, not seeing much wildlife. Then, I saw a huge badger. A fleeting appearance, but very cool.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's amazing! Must have been pretty cool to see

You have more chances to see a wolf on the Sanabrés. The Sierra de la Culebra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_de_la_Culebra) is well-know for the presence of wolfs. Tábara is on an edge of the Sierra de la Culebra so, probably, not the best place in the area to look for wolfs but better than places, like Astorga, located in other areas.

You have more chances to see a wolf on the Sanabrés. The Sierra de la Culebra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_de_la_Culebra) is well-know for the presence of wolfs. Tábara is on an edge of the Sierra de la Culebra so, probably, not the best place in the area to look for wolfs but better than places, like Astorga, located in other areas.

Thanks. I read it. Interesting. Therefore the woolf-trap-and-stuff-around Lubián I guess!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Therefore the woolf-trap-and-stuff-around Lubián I guess!

Lubián isn't in the Sierra de la Culebra but that doesn't mean it's in an area without (that sort of) wildlife. Being out of protected areas like the Sierra de la Culebra means (for good and for bad) less tourism. The wolf itself is protected in all the territory of Castile and Leon that is North of the Duero river. You can find loberas in other areas of Castile and León. In Burgos province, for example, it's well-known the Lobera de Perex (www.turismoburgos.org/en/destino/cultural/lobera-de-perex). However, we should be aware that the existence of loberas shows a relevant presence of wolves in the past but doesn't necessarily mean there's (a relevant) presence of them nowadays. BTW, talking about the wolf in Spain, we shouldn't forget about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Félix_Rodríguez_de_la_Fuente

Looks beautiful.

For some more info in English: www.turismozamora.es/index.php/en/nature/sierra-de-la-culebra

www.centrodellobo.es (It seems this web is just in Spanish, try an online translator)

If you read Spanish, there's a guide available at: www.turismozamora.es/index.php/en/downloads/category/guia-turistica-de-la-sierra-de-la-culebra

Completely brown creature with a white-tipped tail. I'm a city-slicker and wouldn't have a clue, but it was a quick brown fox.....and I've always imagined (perhaps wrongly) to have a bit of variation in their colouring.

We stayed at the municipal in Tabara, having escaped the clutches of a very pushy lady who dragged us in to a ?hotel? Just off the Plaza Mayor!

Completely brown creature with a white-tipped tail. I'm a city-slicker and wouldn't have a clue, but it was a quick brown fox.....and I've always imagined (perhaps wrongly) to have a bit of variation in their colouring.

We stayed at the municipal in Tabara, having escaped the clutches of a very pushy lady who dragged us in to a ?hotel? Just off the Plaza Mayor!

It could be the owner of El Roble, it's next to the Plaza as I recall it...

I have stayed in the municipal as well, a few years ago, when it was "unattended" (get the keys and manage yourself), but now it seems that they have a hospitalero who's in place to welcome the pilgrims?

€60,-
That's her! My Spanish male walking buddy was totally useless at deflecting her so we ended up staying there. You still end up sharing a bathroom with a few other people despite paying more.

It could be the owner of El Roble, it's next to the Plaza as I recall it...

I have stayed in the municipal as well, a few years ago, when it was "unattended" (get the keys and manage yourself), but now it seems that they have a hospitalero who's in place to welcome the pilgrims?
welcome, do washing, cook dinner, show short movie, give speech, take you to see sunset, prepare breakfast....this Hospitalero does it all!!

Have loved reading your amazing blog,Rachael. Your children are troopers and so much more grown up since I said hello and took your photo in Santiago two years ago. Congrats on reaching Santiago once more.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back