• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP outfit for march, icebreaker needed?

Dolf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances(2017,2020), Finisterre, Portuges (2017)Lisbon /Fatima, Del Norte (2018), VdlP(2019)
Hi fellow pilgrims,
i have walked the frances, portugues and Norte in september/oktober the past two years. I start walking the Via de la Plata february 28, quite different temperaturewise. I would like to hear from former VdlP pilgrims if an icebreaker (shirt and or pants) is adviseable.

My normal outfit was shirt, fleece, softshell ( when needed rainjacked). Hiking pants.

Thnx.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi fellow pilgrims,
i have walked the frances, portugues and Norte in september/oktober the past two years. I start walking the Via de la Plata february 28, quite different temperaturewise. I would like to hear from former VdlP pilgrims if an icebreaker (shirt and or pants) is adviseable.

My normal outfit was shirt, fleece, softshell ( when needed rainjacked). Hiking pants.

Thnx.

Waka currently walking the VdlP and reporting 18C, very pleasant, imo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Basicly extra warm thermo underwear

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Merino t-shirts, icebreaker or other brands, is the best both in very hot or cold weather. I learnt that from some peregrinos from Finland on the Via de la Plata in 2011, and since then always in my caminopack. I also bring some loose merino sleeves to put on when it is a bit chilly, easy to roll down if too warm.

Merino t-shirts, icebreaker or other brands, is the best both in very hot or cold weather. I learnt that from some peregrinos from Finland on the Via de la Plata in 2011, and since then always in my caminopack. I also bring some loose merino sleeves to put on when it is a bit chilly, easy to roll down if too warm.
Hi @ranthr
Your tip for ‘sleeves’ is a goodie. Chilly morning starts etc. and would be as easy to take off as gloves.
Where are you planning this yr?
Buen Camino
Annie

Hi, Dolf, and welcome to the Forum.

Could you define what an 'icebreaker' is? I'm not familiar with that term. :)
Maybe the equivalent of Smartwool? - it's a NZ brand of merino wool clothing that comes in ultralight, featherwight, light weight, mid-weight, heavyweight fabrics. Some items for summer are also a mixture of light merino wool and tencel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @ranthr
Your tip for ‘sleeves’ is a goodie. Chilly morning starts etc. and would be as easy to take off as gloves.
Where are you planning this yr?
Buen Camino
Annie
This year in September only a short walk on Camino Lebaniego, Camino de Invierno was going to be my last camino. Getting too old for this I guess. But when I read all of you planning VdlP it is very tempting.

Maybe the equivalent of Smartwool? - it's a NZ brand of merino wool clothing that comes in ultralight, featherwight, light weight, mid-weight, heavyweight fabrics. Some items for summer are also a mixture of light merino wool and tencel.

Yes. It is very similar and will do the equivalent function. Smartwool also has the weight level offerings, which is quite nice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It isn't possible to say if you "need" a specific layer, without knowing what other layers you have. You need several layers to serve for sleeping as well as walking in different conditions. Some items can serve 2 purposes.
I know, I prefer seperate layers instead of a 3 in 1 jacket. So I was wearing an under armour t-shirt, then a fjallraven fleece and then a columbia softshell jacket. I prefer to use a rainjacket on top instead of a poncho (the noise that thing makes while walking annoid me). The rainjacket stops wind from penetrating as well.

I would take them. When walking on any camino in March/April or late autumn, I always took my thermal underwear.

Some parts of the VdP go up in the mountains and can be very chilly (before Salamanca and of course on the Sanabrés). Even in May 2010 there was snow on the mountains on the Sanabrés. You can not expect the albergues to be properly heated. If the owner of the local bar is responsible for the albergue it is most likely that he will turn the heating off to get pilgrims into his bar.

BC
Alexandra

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always carry a pair of lightweight merino longjohns and a Voormi brand lightweight merino hoody as well as a merino sleeping bag liner. Tis the core of my ability to deal with temperature variations. I also carry a merino T shirt usually. I love the merino for sure!

Hi, Dolf, and welcome to the Forum.

Could you define what an 'icebreaker' is? I'm not familiar with that term. :)
Icebreaker is a brand that started in NZ years ago and makes high end wool garments with the claim that you can wear them for 2-3 days or longer without them smelling. I have many of them and think they are just about the best around, come in different weights and can be easily hand or machine washed. Dry quickly under normal circumstances.
I will often have two layers on under a shell and take one off when the weather or I warm up.
Like their socks also; have left and right foot styles; all wool.
Happymark

I travel with merino wool under layer all year around. 1 long sleeve, 1 short sleeve in snow a pair of merino leggings. When I walked the Frances in winter I also carried a light Patagonia zippered fleece. and my rain jacket. Many morning it below freezing and I kept warm, I have been the middle east in hot weather and merino wool T-shirts help keep me cooler.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack. Besides it being used during the Fall on the Camino last year, it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- Zpacks, Cuben Fiber
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds /1.6 kg.

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a long sleeved synthetic, lightweight shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 25F/ -3.5c to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range.

I've just started the Levante and I'm walking in a smartwool short sleeved baselayer with my Arcteryx Squamish over top to stop sunburn. I have a down vest over top if needed
On the bottom it's a choice of a purple rain hiking skirt, Paramo cascade 2 hiking pants or my 2xl compression thermals. The temp at the moment is 10-20 degrees C and sunny.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Thnx.
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Thnx.

Hail fellow pilgrim,

I left Seville February 9th last year. I wore rain jacket shell/with zippered arm pits, Patagonia thin thermal jacket, long sleeve hiking shirt and long sleeve synthetic t shirt, buff and watch cap. I brought long johns and only used them to sleep. Mornings started out cold and then would shed layers during late morning and switch head gear.
When it started to snow and accumulate in the mountains, I put on my bus. Quite comfortable by the way.

I would advise to bring a 2 to 3 liter water bladder as distances between towns longish and some alburgues closed but I was never really stranded.

I also only used my boots as much of VdLP rough/muddy for trail runners but probably should have used them on roads in Extremadura. (Next time.!) Also alburgue in Merida got excellent reports from fellow pilgrims. Recommend rest day here but not on a Sunday.

I’m off to the CF in 30 days but a really enjoyed la Plata. Hope you do too.

Buen Camino

I have walked in all weathers with layers... some underwear (in my case silky camisole) plus T-Shirt plus merino jumper plus fleece plus light windproof jacket.
Saw me from heatwave to minus temperatures (snow). I also had a rain poncho when it really got tough :oops:
As for the bottom half, I walk in a Macabi skirt with merino leggings underneath when it is cold...
I do feel the cold but I have never felt cold wearing this combination....
PS I did buy wooly gloves on the way when it was snowing and a ‘buff’ is good to protect your ears if it’s really cold....

Last edited:
I also bring some loose merino sleeves to put on when it is a bit chilly, easy to roll down if too warm.
That sounds great! I got two merino singlets, a merino t-shirt and a marino longsleeve shirt. Where do you get the loose sleeves?
I saw some people use some loose legs too, I’ve never seen them in shops though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That sounds great! I got two merino singlets, a merino t-shirt and a marino longsleeve shirt. Where do you get the loose sleeves?
I saw some people use some loose legs too, I’ve never seen them in shops though.
I bought them years ago online on a Norwegian equipment store. Icebreaker. I also bought legwarmers.
To save weight I now usually only bring the legwarmers that fit both arms or legs.
They are easier to deal with than a longsleeved shirt, only to drag down if it gets warm.
I see that most cyckling wear stores sell things like that both in merino or polyester.

Last edited:
Hi fellow pilgrims,

Thnx.
We walked VDLP leaving Sevilla after Super Bowl, and found that it was wet not cold. The sun was quite strong, sunglasses and hat advisable

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Merino on the camino is a must I think, have gone all merino since ´12 and have seen a decline for me in colds.
My most trusted item is a Swedish Woolpower fleece, with frotte in side, that you can wash hot ( 60 dgr C)
- warm enough for an outer layer in spring and/ or with a wind runners vest,
Will not smell for even a sustained period of time !
If you can get a good offer - buy. It is true, that is somewhat expensive.

Another good trick is looking for the Helly Hansen merino/ polypropylene shirts (50/50) - I use them all year round at home in a somewhat colder climate, and where it is raining like in Ireland/Scotland....

Last edited:
We walked VDLP leaving Sevilla after Super Bowl, and found that it was wet not cold. The sun was quite strong, sunglasses and hat advisable
Thanks for that advise. I talked to an american pilgrim I met on my Camino Frances with his son, who was at the Superbowl when I mentioned to him that I would do the VdlP. Though being there is a big thing I realise, he also would have wanted to be on the VdlP.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

Thnx.
Had to postpone my trip a month, now leaving the 26th of march for Sevilla, fortunately.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Spring has come early and the weather is warmer than normal across most of the country. Since Feb 1st we have experienced ONE day of rain. But it included hail and was freezing so bring something waterproof. I'm hiking in a smartwool tshirt and thin breathable windbreaker with my hiking pants. There has been the odd day where the pants are too hot and its warm enough for a short hiking skirt. And that is in Galicia!

Spring has come early and the weather is warmer than normal across most of the country. Since Feb 1st we have experienced ONE day of rain. But it included hail and was freezing so bring something waterproof. I'm hiking in a smartwool tshirt and thin breathable windbreaker with my hiking pants. There has been the odd day where the pants are too hot and its warm enough for a short hiking skirt. And that is in Galicia!
I got a message this morning from someone in the early stages on the Sureste, who said it was only 2 degrees C. Just shows you need layers to be prepared for everything.

I got a message this morning from someone in the early stages on the Sureste, who said it was only 2 degrees C. Just shows you need layers to be prepared for everything.

Absolutely! It was 30 deg. in Alicante on Sunday but only 12 ish Monday and Tuesday (max. Temp.) And cold at night, brrrr.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The range is wide at the moment. Lovely days in Galicia but often frosty mornings and I have been wearing gloves on occasion. Don't forget gloves, buffs and beanies as they make the difference. I find if my legs are warm I am well set up. The hiking pants I have are excellent as they are warm but can open right up to vent the legs as it gets warmer.
My Aarnpack also acts as another layer in the way it wraps around the trunk.

Thanks for all this info guys as I leave next Wednesday for Alicante to walk the Lana and have been debating my kit which I normally don't need to do. Walking from Alicante to Burgos may present me with various temps.

My biggest question is whether to bring my Rab hardshell jacket (waterproof) which I usually only wear during my winter Caminos (with 2 Merino shirts underneath) or just wear a long sleeve t-shirt, fleece if necessary and a light windbreaker. I'll take my poncho in the later case for rain.

What do you guys think? I like to pack the bare minimum and don't worry about being cold while walking but rather in the afternoon and evenings once stopped.

I find that a great ice breaker, when meeting new people, is a joke. Here's one that works well for me:

A duck walks into a grocery store and asks the guy in the produce section, "Do you have grapes?" The produce guy says "no, we don't have any grapes right now." So the duck waddles out.
The next day, the duck comes back in the store, approaches the same worker in the produce dept. and again asked, "Do you have grapes?" The man replies, "No, we don't have any grapes. They aren't in season right now, so we probably won't have them for another couple of months." The duck walks out.
Next day, here comes the duck again, approaching the same produce guy, asking "Do you have grapes?" Exasperated, the store guy says, "You've asked this a number of times and the answer is still no. No grapes. And we won't have any grapes tomorrow, next week, or probably even next month. So there is no point in asking!" So the duck leaves.
Next day, same thing. The duck comes back, finds the produce worker and asks him if he has grapes. Very annoyed and impatient now, the guy says, "I can't help you. You keep coming in, asking the same question about whether we have grapes and I've told you repeatedly that we don't, and won't for awhile. So please don't waste your and my time on this anymore. In fact, if you come in again asking about grapes, I'm going to nail your feet to the floor. The duck walks out.
Next morning, sure enough, the duck is back. He asks the produce guy, "Do you have any nails?" This question took the store worker by surprise, so he thought about it and said, "No, I don't think I do."
So the duck says, "Do you have grapes?"

Oh, wait, were you talking about Icebreaker Merino clothing? Nevermind.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Merino on the camino is a must I think, have gone all merino since ´12 and have seen a decline for me in colds.
My most trusted item is a Swedish Woolpower fleece, with frotte in side, that you can wash hot ( 60 dgr C)
- warm enough for an outer layer in spring and/ or with a wind runners vest,
Will not smell for even a sustained period of time !
If you can get a good offer - buy. It is true, that is somewhat expensive.

Another good trick is looking for the Helly Hansen merino/ polypropylene shirts (50/50) - I use them all year round at home in a somewhat colder climate, and where it is raining like in Ireland/Scotland....
Do you wear the 200 weight base layer Woolpower or the 400 midlayer? Now I've begun shopping a new wool brand....oh boy.

Also great helly hansen tip!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back