• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vdlp pack transport and shoes recommended

Just Karin

Time of past OR future Camino
Vía de la Plata 2019
I’m planning to walk the vdlp April-May 2019 and I wonder what you thoughts are about foot ware, would you recommend a lower or higher shoe, and goretex or not?
I’m thinking of Solomon Xa Pro 3d women, they have no membrane and I wonder how that will be on the vdlp when I start the end of March?

Second question - is it possible to walk with only a daypack and send your bigger backpack to the next albergue like on the camino portugués and francés?

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't comment on pack transport and I can't recommend shoes but I can comment on weather at the end of March.
I walked Seville to Cacares in March 2012 and Cacares to Verin in March 2013.
2012 was mostly dry and Winter had been mostly dry so there were no streams to worry about and the ground was dry. 2013 had had an incredibly wet winter, the cows were standing up to their knees in water. You can see some of my photos on my blog for March 2013: notdunroaminyet.blogspot.com
This month is very wet in most of Spain, if this weather continues the ground may be very wet in Spring. Just a thought as you consider shoes!
Buen camino

Hi JK, I too think about the VDLP starting early March 2019. In March 2018 for my Camino del Norte, I wore Salomon Speedcross 4 Gortex trail runners - great regarding traction, lightness, not slippery, but as it rained almost daily (many days it poured all day) the goretex was not of any use. I felt like walking in a soaking wet sponge.

However, I just finished walking the much shorter but equally very wet Camino Ingles (lots of climbing) for which I wore a HOKA ONE AREH (not goretex). It has a very light mesh top, I wore double smartwool socks and despite the shoes getting wet my feet never felt wet and my outer sock was only damp, the inner sock was dry. The traction was superior on wet stones than the more aggressive Speedcross 4 tread. For me I’ll wear HOKA ONE on the VDLP plus carry lightweight sandals to switch to when weather is dry. This is only my very personal experience. I carry my pack (30 L MILLET women’s VENOM 680 gm pack) but never carry more than a total of 5 kg of gear. ULTREIA !

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m planning to walk the vdlp April-May 2019 and I wonder what you thoughts are about foot ware, would you recommend a lower or higher shoe, and goretex or not?
I’m thinking of Solomon Xa Pro 3d women, they have no membrane and I wonder how that will be on the vdlp when I start the end of March?

Second question - is it possible to walk with only a daypack and send your bigger backpack to the next albergue like on the camino portugués and francés?

I walked most of the VDLP last spring

I walked the VDLP last spring. I highly recommend high top waterproof sturdy hiking boots. I wore ASOLO leather boots with a gortex liner, I was able to walk thru many of the numerous streams flowing along and across the path. My feet stayed dry when the mud was ankle deep, and when it snowed. The VDLP is more remote and rugged than the Camino Frances. Many days we saw no one else on the trail. I know of many who wore lighter shoes and who had to return home early. I did not find any pack transport facilities until we reached Ourense. Pack light. as you know ounces count!

I walked the VDLP, starting in March 2018. It was wonderful, but very different from the Caminos Frances and Portuges. I highly recommend high top waterproof (gortex lined) sturdy hiking boots. I wore ASOLO leather boots with a gortex liner, I was able to walk thru many of the numerous streams flowing along and across the path. My feet stayed dry when the mud was ankle deep, and when it snowed. The VDLP is more remote and rugged than the Camino Frances. There are very few little towns to stop in during the day if your feet get wet and you need to dry out. Many days we saw no one else on the trail. I know of many who wore lighter fabric high top hiking boots or hiking shoes. They were very uncomfortable and many had to return home early. I did not find any pack transport facilities until we reached Ourense. Pack light. I kept my pack down to 11 pounds and am very glad I did. As you know ounces count! Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most pilgrims on the VdlP tend to be more experienced and not as likely to use pack transport...thus the service is not as easily available as the more crowded routes and will be spotty and time consuming to organize over the length of the VdlP.
You will find most pilgrims carrying their packs on this route. Pack very light and minimal on this Camino..

There are fewer albergues/bars with longer distances between.
The albergues are adequate in most stages but there are often only one with nothing between.

Thanks so far for your comments and tips :)
Due to a back problem and arthritis it’s impossible for me to carry a backpack with all I need for a 6-7 weeks walk.
However I found this:
http://hike-tech.com/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi JK,
Observations:
re footwear: wear what you know and are comfortable in for a variety of terrains and DON’T start out with untried gear;
re pack: you will require no more for 6/7 weeks than you will for 6/7 days - focus on lightweight gear BUT be prepared for a wide range of weathers remembering nothing is certain;
re March: for me, great time for RdlP - relatively quiet with beautiful spring flowers!
(Sending gear ahead, for me, diminishes the pilgrim experience.)
Your choices!
Whatever, take care and buen camino.

(Sending gear ahead, for me, diminishes the pilgrim experience.)
Thank you Paul. I know what you’re saying but due to health issues I cannot carry all the gear needed. Especially as you say yourself - I need to be prepared for all kinds of weather. So it’s one way or the other for me - only carry a daypack with what is necessary for a daytrip or no camino at all. I prefer the daypack that’s why I asked the question in the first place 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Paul. I know what you’re saying but due to health issues I cannot carry all the gear needed. Especially as you say yourself - I need to be prepared for all kinds of weather. So it’s one way or the other for me - only carry a daypack with what is necessary for a daytrip or no camino at all. I prefer the daypack that’s why I asked the question in the first place 😊

I may have missed something but... here goes. If you have to have your bag carried, you will still need to carry with you in your ‘day bag’
a) warm clothing b) waterproof clothing c) water) , a small emergency first aid kit e) a hat f) some nibbles on long stretches....
I would myself take a change of socks (and I do even here on training walks!). And I also take a small torch.

So what is left?
The only extra things to be sent on would be a) a sleeping bag b) a change of clothing c) a toothbrush/toothpaste and soap.... oh and a towel.

Please tell me if I there is something else I have missed.

Due to a back problem and arthritis it’s impossible for me to carry a backpack with all I need for a 6-7 weeks walk.
However I found this:

Oh Dear. I see the coming of the end on that link :oops:
Whilst I fully understand the desire for pack transport for those with medical issues, the sad reality is that it also brings the hordes of tourists and holiday makers. :( At least my experience on the CF.

Last edited:
Hi JK, I too think about the VDLP starting early March 2019. In March 2018 for my Camino del Norte, I wore Salomon Speedcross 4 Gortex trail runners - great regarding traction, lightness, not slippery, but as it rained almost daily (many days it poured all day) the goretex was not of any use. I felt like walking in a soaking wet sponge.

However, I just finished walking the much shorter but equally very wet Camino Ingles (lots of climbing) for which I wore a HOKA ONE AREH (not goretex). It has a very light mesh top, I wore double smartwool socks and despite the shoes getting wet my feet never felt wet and my outer sock was only damp, the inner sock was dry. The traction was superior on wet stones than the more aggressive Speedcross 4 tread. For me I’ll wear HOKA ONE on the VDLP plus carry lightweight sandals to switch to when weather is dry. This is only my very personal experience. I carry my pack (30 L MILLET women’s VENOM 680 gm pack) but never carry more than a total of 5 kg of gear. ULTREIA !

Hi Colette, I guess I will be just behind you, starting to walk in Seville with 2 friends from the Capital, on April 2nd. How can you travel so lite, 5kg, amazing!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh Dear. I see the coming of the end on that link :oops:
Whilst I fully understand the desire for pack transport for those with medical issues, the sad reality is that it also brings the hordes of tourists and holiday makers. :( At least my experience on the CF.

@Robo , I’m glad you found that link for pack forwarding because I feel that the OP really has few options given her health and I’d rather have her walk than stay at home so THANK YOU I’m sure she’ll appreciate it.

@Robo , I’m glad you found that link for pack forwarding because I feel that the OP really has few options given her health and I’d rather have her walk than stay at home so THANK YOU I’m sure she’ll appreciate it.

I didn't find it.............. the OP did.
I agree that it's great the OP can make use of those services, but feel sad in a way that it will inevitably lead to the more remote routes becoming a tourist attraction rather than a pilgrimage route.

But I guess that happens everywhere eventually.

Better just get out there and walk a few more while there is still time :oops:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear JK. I note your circumstances and appreciate now why it is imperative for you to forward gear. Even in a day pack you do need to cater for all eventualities, of course; thorough preparation (and preparedness) is essential at all stages - so frequently overlooked by walkers/pilgrims. Apologies if my initial comments appeared to lack sensitivity. I wish you well. Paul

So what is left?
The only extra things to be sent on would be a) a sleeping bag b) a change of clothing c) a toothbrush/toothpaste and soap.... oh and a towel.
thanks for your thoughts. Actually I was thinking the same but on other long distance walks there was quite a bit left - like 2,5 kilo extra on top of the daypack. It might seem nothing to you but to me it makes a lot of difference :)

For me I’ll wear HOKA ONE on the VDLP plus carry lightweight sandals to switch to when weather is dry. This is only my very personal experience. I carry my pack (30 L MILLET women’s VENOM 680 gm pack) but never carry more than a total of 5 kg of gear. ULTREIA !
Hi Colette, thank you for your thoughts and tips. I am using Salomon Speedcross 4 GTX but mine seem to hold quite good in rain and mud. However when I walk on asphalt to me it seems I walk on football (soccer) shoes 🙄

My big burning question to you is: can I please see your pack list? Because 5 kilo in total seems really little :)
I thought I was quite good in lw gear and packing but I think I am at least at 6kg.

I am planning to pack my Keen sandals as well, or my five finger shoes, not sure yet.
And ordered some Hoka ankle high shoes to see if those will fit - Hoka one one speed 2 mid. I seem to have trouble with most of those type of shoes because toes tend to want to go straight forward and shoe makers think people have their big toe in the middle 😂
Thanks again and buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Colette, thank you for your thoughts and tips. I am using Salomon Speedcross 4 GTX but mine seem to hold quite good in rain and mud. However when I walk on asphalt to me it seems I walk on football (soccer) shoes 🙄

My big burning question to you is: can I please see your pack list? Because 5 kilo in total seems really little :)
I thought I was quite good in lw gear and packing but I think I am at least at 6kg.

I am planning to pack my Keen sandals as well, or my five finger shoes, not sure yet.
And ordered some Hoka ankle high shoes to see if those will fit - Hoka one one speed 2 mid. I seem to have trouble with most of those type of shoes because toes tend to want to go straight forward and shoe makers think people have their big toe in the middle 😂
Thanks again and buen camino!

I'm not just planning to TAKE my Chaco sandals, I will likely hike most of the VdLP in them. Feet are more waterproof then socks and shoes.

However I found this:
This has been said before ,,,there should be no difference in your pack and whats in it ,,(unless in mid winter)for a weeks walk or a 2 months walk !! But if you still cant carry a 4 to 5 kg pack ,,then a guy last spring on the vldp from seville to santiago was taxiing his main bag ahead every day

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back