• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP Packing List - 1st Draft

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I'm hoping to head out on the VdlP next March, but it might have to be March 2020. Depends on work :(

But I've started working on my packing list, so any comments and feedback are most welcome.

I've done 2 and a bit Caminos on the CF, so don't envisage too much change in my gear. But I'm aiming for a slightly lighter load if possible. So I'm shedding an extra shirt, my Sil day sack (for shopping) and my Scrubba. I'll use a drysac for washing and shopping.
The table shows the final weight with and without food and water. The water goes in regular store bought water bottles that I bring from home (empty)
A couple of small items are still to be weighed.
The PLB is a condition from the Boss! Because I'm old and unhealthy..... And I do expect to be 'out there' on my own mostly.
I'm tempted to ditch the coil and mug.....

Gear List.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm hoping to head out on the VdlP next March, but it might have to be March 2020. Depends on work :(

Hola

Looks good.
I wouldn't bring a spare hiking pants. Instead I would bring light cotton or similar trouses to war while washing or to wear at night if it is cold. But that's just me.
How about shopping bag. Sea of Summit makes one that can cary 120 kg. Good to sit on as well outside or to bring into shower with stuff.
Handkerchief? Running nose..
Small plasticcointainer for food/cheese?
Extra zip-locks.
5-7 meter string for hanging up cloth for drying.
Gloves? Mitten?

Probably more.
This has to do for now :)

Lettinggo

But I've started working on my packing list, so any comments and feedback are most welcome.

I've done 2 and a bit Caminos on the CF, so don't envisage too much change in my gear. But I'm aiming for a slightly lighter load if possible. So I'm shedding an extra shirt, my Sil day sack (for shopping) and my Scrubba. I'll use a drysac for washing and shopping.
The table shows the final weight with and without food and water. The water goes in regular store bought water bottles that I bring from home (empty)
The PLB is a condition from the Boss! Because I'm old and unhealthy..... And I do expect to be 'out there' on my own mostly.

View attachment 46945

Hola

Looks good.
I wouldn't bring a spare hiking pants. Instead I would bring light cotton or similar trouses to wear while washing or to wear at night if it is cold. But that's just me.
How about shoppingbag. Sea of Summit makes one that can cary 120 kg. Good to sit on as well outside or to bring into shower with stuff.
Extra zip-locks.
Gloves? Mitten?

Probably more.

Oh yes. One thing more.
12 kg in a 34 L bag seems dangerous.
I normally carry 15-16 kg in a 58 L.

Lettinggo

@Robo
Does your dry sack have shoulder straps and a waist belt that would make it suitable to use as a day sack if you should find yourself walking without your pack? I hadn't planned on sending my pack ahead to Aldeanueva, but having a suitable day sack (a Sea to Summit dry sack) made it possible for me to do so, rather than taking a taxi with those who found the day's walk too daunting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Robo
Since you've gone to the trouble of listing weights for everything, you might as well sort by weight and decide if you can save weight on the heaviest items

I'd certainly look at likely temperatures and rain probabilities to see if you really need the fleece and rain trousers - you might get by with an extra merino item instead

Not sure how 12kg in a 34L bag is dangerous - to my mind the smaller bag will allow you to resist the temptation of carrying too much instead

Hola

Looks good.
I wouldn't bring a spare hiking pants. Instead I would bring light cotton or similar trouses to wear while washing or to wear at night if it is cold. But that's just me.
How about shoppingbag. Sea of Summit makes one that can cary 120 kg. Good to sit on as well outside or to bring into shower with stuff.
Extra zip-locks.
Gloves? Mitten?

Probably more.

Oh yes. One thing more.
12 kg in a 34 L bag seems dangerous.
I normally carry 15-16 kg in a 58 L.

Lettinggo

Thanks for the feedback.
The spare hiking pants are lightweight (any thing else would be heavier) and if I rip my existing ones I can wear those.
I tool out my Sil day pack, only 70gms. Might put it back.
Food container good idea.
Handkerchief! Yep.
Zip locks, cord and gloves are on the list ;)
12kg is the FSO weight!
Pack is 6.2 excl food and water.

@Robo
Does your dry sack have shoulder straps and a waist belt that would make it suitable to use as a day sack if you should find yourself walking without your pack? I hadn't planned on sending my pack ahead to Aldeanueva, but having a suitable day sack (a Sea to Summit dry sack) made it possible for me to do so, rather than taking a taxi with those who found the day's walk too daunting.

Good idea! Though the Sil daysack has tiny straps. Really only good for a few items.
The straps look good in the picture but are really thin.
https://seatosummit.com/product/travelling-light-daypack/

I think if I had to send a bag, I would put my heavy / spare gear in the day sack and send that, and use my regular pack with not much in it. In fact, I have used one of those nylon laundry zip up bags for just that purpose! And they weigh next to nothing. Maybe 30-40 gms. It can take all my gear if required.

1538381620868.png

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm trying to work out what a PLB is??

Personal Locator Beacon. Like an EPIRB but for use on land.
Means if I fall in a ditch and break my leg in the middle of nowhere, I don't have to wait three days for the next Pilgrim to come along and find me ;)
Kind of makes sense, in my mind at least.

Someone will now tell me the VdlP is not THAT Remote! :oops:

Oh. What's an EPIRB? A distress beacon used by boats and planes. Only to be used in a life and death emergency. Once activated it sends a signal via satelite to the National emergency services. A PLB is a small personal one used by hikers and 'bush walkers'. Means a rescue party can home in on your precise location.

Hopefully never required, but my 'boss' will sleep more soundly knowing I have one with me. Only considering it because the VdlP is more remote, and I expect to be walking alone with no other Pilgrims around much of the time.

PLB.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't dare tell you not to bring Mr Bean....

I use a sea to summit ultrasil pack liner and have occasionally used it to send stuff ahead while carrying my nearly empty backpack. There is barely any pack transport on the VDLP as far as I know, so there's no point planning around it. By using a pack liner I don't need stuff sacks or a pack cover and it works much better than pack covers. Also carrying your normal pack nearly empty is much more comfortable than some horrid mini daypack with straps that dig in.

For hand luggage on my flight I use one of those reusable nylon shopping bags that fold into a tiny pouch, this can also be used for shopping, and as a laundry bag.

You don't need a phone charger and a euro adaptor. Use the phone's usb cable with a Euro-USB plug.

I would ditch the washing line, coil, mug and cutlery personally.

I wouldn't take a fleece and the merino hoodie, I would take a base layer instead of one of them. If it's that cold, just put all your tops on. If it's really windy, you can put your waterproof jacket on. I sometimes take a pair of thin thermal leggings, which are also good to sleep in.

I would combine the sandals with the shower slippers somehow. I take a pair of bejewelled flipflops but you might not :p

Do take the swimming trunks there are some fantastic thermals on the VDLP, plus the unmissable Roman Spa in Alcujén aqualibera.com

On the VDLP it's really important to plan to avoid your water bottles possibly breaking or leaking, because you can't just refill them or get a new one when you want. When you say store bought, do you mean just thin plastic mineral water bottles? You need at least two decent bottles that add up to at least 3 litres, therefore these won't be suitable to have on clips as they will be too big. I use two 2l bladders, one has a tube and one a screw cap (interchangeable). I would not rely on one 3l bladder in case it leaks.

Sunblock - make that a sunblock Large factor 50. A very good and cheap local brand is Coviran, available in supermarkets.

Some kind of a silk scarf to protect your neck from sun. You are walking north on the VDLP so the back of your neck really cops it even if you wear a sunhat. (Also the backs of your upper arms)

Not sure you need a stone I don't think there is any equivalent to the Cruz de Hierro.

It's public spirited of you to take a trowel but the ground is so hard I think you'd be there all day. Just don't leave wet wipes behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rob, do you really need the video stuff? Your phone probably takes great photos. The cooking stuff? I never take any of the things you've listed in that section.

I don't take lavender oil or Aero guard - but I do take Bushman's 80% Deet cream. I do take antihistamine tablets because if I need them I tend to need them immediately, but nowadays I don't take painkillers or tape or gauze or any of the 'in case' meds - I just buy them along the way if I actually need them. I'd not take Wet Ones - heavy. You could use the vaseline as a waterless cleaner for intimate body parts and a small alcohol gel for everything else.
With the sunblock - have a look at the roll-ons. There are a couple with factor 50 and water resistant for 4 hours. Small, light and easy to carry.

Personal Locator Beacon. Like an EPIRB but for use on land.
Means if I fall in a ditch and break my leg in the middle of nowhere, I don't have to wait three days for the next Pilgrim to come along and find me ;)
Kind of makes sense, in my mind at least.

Someone will now tell me the VdlP is not THAT Remote! :oops:

Oh. What's an EPIRB? A distress beacon used by boats and planes. Only to be used in a life and death emergency. Once activated it sends a signal via satelite to the National emergency services. A PLB is a small personal one used by hikers and 'bush walkers'. Means a rescue party can home in on your precise location.

Hopefully never required, but my 'boss' will sleep more soundly knowing I have one with me. Only considering it because the VdlP is more remote, and I expect to be walking alone with no other Pilgrims around much of the time.

View attachment 46952
and the vldp is not going to be that quiet in march and April,,,in fact that time of year is the busy time ,,this year in early April in Merida the Municipal had 19 of the 20 beds full ,,the next night at Aljucen both Abergues were full and some pilgrims had to keep walking on !!!! so no to a plb !!!!

and the vldp is not going to be that quiet in march and April,,,in fact that time of year is the busy time ,,this year in early April in Merida the Municipal had 19 of the 20 beds full ,,the next night at Aljucen both Abergues were full and some pilgrims had to keep walking on !!!! so no to a plb !!!!
Maybe I'll go earlier ;)
Just need to work out the likely weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rob:
About the plb: I carry my SPOT when on pilgrimage in Spain. As it is much safer there than in the backcountry of western Canada, I don't feel the need to activate the tracking function. I just carry it for emergencies beyond cell coverage. With a plb, the German pilgrim who died on the VdlP could have reported his exact location immediately when he sensed that he was in distress. I am considering getting the new SPOT X, which offers various additional GPS functions and the possibility to send text messages as well as the other emergency functions, all sent through satellite. Of course, I already possess the SPOT and pay for the service to use in backcountry locations, where mountains block phone service. But you'd better roll out of that ditch if you have an accident on the VdlP, so the satellites can find you.

Rob, do you really need the video stuff? Your phone probably takes great photos. The cooking stuff? I never take any of the things you've listed in that section.

I don't take lavender oil or Aero guard - but I do take Bushman's 80% Deet cream. I do take antihistamine tablets because if I need them I tend to need them immediately, but nowadays I don't take painkillers or tape or gauze or any of the 'in case' meds - I just buy them along the way if I actually need them. I'd not take Wet Ones - heavy. You could use the vaseline as a waterless cleaner for intimate body parts and a small alcohol gel for everything else.
With the sunblock - have a look at the roll-ons. There are a couple with factor 50 and water resistant for 4 hours. Small, light and easy to carry.

Good feedback, thanks.
I do use my phone @Kanga . The only extras are a small mini tripod and the external mic, for the phone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wouldn't dare tell you not to bring Mr Bean....

I use a sea to summit ultrasil pack liner and have occasionally used it to send stuff ahead while carrying my nearly empty backpack. There is barely any pack transport on the VDLP as far as I know, so there's no point planning around it. By using a pack liner I don't need stuff sacks or a pack cover and it works much better than pack covers. Also carrying your normal pack nearly empty is much more comfortable than some horrid mini daypack with straps that dig in.

For hand luggage on my flight I use one of those reusable nylon shopping bags that fold into a tiny pouch, this can also be used for shopping, and as a laundry bag.

You don't need a phone charger and a euro adaptor. Use the phone's usb cable with a Euro-USB plug.

I would ditch the washing line, coil, mug and cutlery personally.

I wouldn't take a fleece and the merino hoodie, I would take a base layer instead of one of them. If it's that cold, just put all your tops on. If it's really windy, you can put your waterproof jacket on. I sometimes take a pair of thin thermal leggings, which are also good to sleep in.

I would combine the sandals with the shower slippers somehow. I take a pair of bejewelled flipflops but you might not :p

Do take the swimming trunks there are some fantastic thermals on the VDLP, plus the unmissable Roman Spa in Alcujén aqualibera.com

On the VDLP it's really important to plan to avoid your water bottles possibly breaking or leaking, because you can't just refill them or get a new one when you want. When you say store bought, do you mean just thin plastic mineral water bottles? You need at least two decent bottles that add up to at least 3 litres, therefore these won't be suitable to have on clips as they will be too big. I use two 2l bladders, one has a tube and one a screw cap (interchangeable). I would not rely on one 3l bladder in case it leaks.

Sunblock - make that a sunblock Large factor 50. A very good and cheap local brand is Coviran, available in supermarkets.

Some kind of a silk scarf to protect your neck from sun. You are walking north on the VDLP so the back of your neck really cops it even if you wear a sunhat. (Also the backs of your upper arms)

Not sure you need a stone I don't think there is any equivalent to the Cruz de Hierro.

It's public spirited of you to take a trowel but the ground is so hard I think you'd be there all day. Just don't leave wet wipes behind.

Great tips, thanks. Yes, mineral water bottles from the store. I replace them if they get damaged. When carrying 2-3 litres of water I tend to have my 2 x 600 ml bottles on the front and additional bottles in the pack or side pouches to spread the weight. The 2 front bottles will get me 10-15 kms. I can swap the tube on the front bottles whilst walking and at a break, replace the empty bottles with full ones. I like to use bottles as I know exactly what my water consumption is.

For sun protection I use the umbrella. It covers the back of the neck. And I always wear long sleeves, long pants and lightweight gloves. So don't really have any skin exposed. I use a bit of sunblock on my face to protect from reflected sunlight. Works well. I look like a Korean lady going out in the sun. ;)

Lots of good feedback, many thanks. Still a work in progress and I'll re-read the feedback, but under 6 kg now excl food and water. Regarding the PLB, I've left it in for now. I'm a very slow walker so will always be at the 'back of the pack' on my own and arrive much later than others.

under 6.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry @Robo . The others won't say it but I will......

1. Mr Bean has to be left at home. No room for freeloaders on the Camino, especially the VdlP!:confused:

2. What if you lost him in Spain? And him, with not a word of Spanish?? Honestly, what are you thinking? :eek:

3. In the event of anything happening, Teddy social services will be all over you, like a rash.....for years...o_O

Think carefully my friend...!! :mad::mad:

Your list looks great but I'll play the game of comparing grams and lists...
  • No large dry bag to put your backpack into at night and isolate sleeping things during the day, against bedbugs? (simple precaution even on the VDLP in spring)
  • Spare power bank for your phone? (I wouldn't leave home without it.)
  • I would skip the head lamp and the trowel.
  • Your maps must be tiny at only 10 g.
  • Your soap and toothpaste could be reduced by 50%.
  • No pen, pencil?
  • No knife, scissors, corkscrew, nail clippers?
  • Those are heavy needles and thread! Maybe you have some scissors in there.
  • Take the swim trunks instead of the 3rd underpants, if the underwear can dry overnight
My own list comes in at 5.2 kg without food and water. I don't see ways to reduce it without sacrificing things I want. I'm OK with that weight.

Sorry @Robo . The others won't say it but I will......

1. Mr Bean has to be left at home. No room for freeloaders on the Camino, especially the VdlP!:confused:

2. What if you lost him in Spain? And him, with not a word of Spanish?? Honestly, what are you thinking? :eek:

3. In the event of anything happening, Teddy social services will be all over you, like a rash.....for years...o_O

Think carefully my friend...!! :mad::mad:

@james mcev . I wouldn't have the heart to tell him! :eek:

He's been my companion on all three Caminos so far. It would be a betrayal :(

And in response to your questions specifically:

1. Freeloader! "He ain't heavy...........he's my Brother"!
  2. Hmm. No Spanish. True. Not much of any language actually. I'll tag him with my contact details! :)
  3. Hmm. Very true.........I might have to go into hiding or roam the Caminos forever to afraid to come home and 'face the music'......
No. It wouldn't be the same without him.
Who would I talk to on those long lonely stretches? :oops:

Could you leave this guy at home? Honestly?

Mr Bean.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@james mcev . I wouldn't have the heart to tell him! :eek:

He's been my companion on all three Caminos so far. It would be a betrayal :(

And in response to your questions specifically:

1. Freeloader! "He ain't heavy...........he's my Brother"!
  2. Hmm. No Spanish. True. Not much of any language actually. I'll tag him with my contact details! :)
  3. Hmm. Very true.........I might have to go into hiding or roam the Caminos forever to afraid to come home and 'face the music'......
No. It wouldn't be the same without him.
Who would I talk to on those long lonely stretches? :oops:

Could you leave this guy at home? Honestly?

View attachment 46978
Absolutely not! I wish I had one to bring along...And we are doing the VDLP starting April 2019 (I am hoping the 1st) so we will look out for him :)

• No large dry bag to put your backpack into at night and isolate sleeping things during the day, against bedbugs? (simple precaution even on the VDLP in spring)
  • No pen, pencil?
  • Take the swim trunks instead of the 3rd underpants, if the underwear can dry overnight
My own list comes in at 5.2 kg without food and water. I don't see ways to reduce it without sacrificing things I want. I'm OK with that weight.

Ok, version three of the list coming up !

@Robo In light of the photo you posted..........

Ahem.......I would like to unconditionally withdraw my previous post......

Please offer my sincere apologies to Mr Bean, for any offence that I may have caused !!.........:(:(

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Please offer my sincere apologies to Mr Bean, for any offence that I may have caused !!.........:(:(

You are forgiven.. though he has been very grumpy since reading your post ! ;)

Yes, @Robo your Mr Bean would bring that smile to your face every morning.
I’m sure he’ll be great to bounce your thoughts off as you walk along.
And James ... ditto to you and your perro.

Buen Camino
Annie

• No pen, pencil?

Great tips thanks. My pack weight seems to be going up :)
Power Bank. Of course!
Large Dry bag. Good idea. Never tried albergues but I get it now...
Head lamp and trowel. Need to think about that. The lamp is a safety thing in my mind.
Yes, maps are tiny. Small stage maps that I write notes on.
Pen!
Added a knife
Need to re weigh some other stuff.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many thanks for all the great feedback. Latest version. A few things added in not out :oops:
Now I think it's just some fine tuning........

Packing 6.jpg

@Robo
In looking at the above list. I think that you have decreased the weight of your toothpaste. I would not recommend this. When I walked the VdlP, I took a small amount of toothpaste and eventually ran out. I could not find a small tube in a local store, so I bought a much larger one than I originally brought, and did not use it up until long after I got home. Unless you are ruthless enough to squeeze out much of the toothpaste and still end up with a large, mostly empty tube, this does not help your weight carried. You should have enough toothpaste in a small tube to last your trip. If you buy a small tube now that you think will last you two months (the approximate length of your trip) and use it, you will know what you need and can take an appropriate sized tube with you. You might think about other toiletries similarly, as you have lots of time to plan before you leave. This will prevent you from running out and you will not have to do without until you find a shop then buy a large quantity of something that is not what you prefer and you don't want to carry. Of course, with liquids you can fill up your own container and leave the remainder in an albergue. But if you are amusing yourself choosing, weighing and packing you may as well take what you need and want.

Even though I was the person who suggested Robo could get away with less toothpaste, I am inclined to agree with @Albertagirl. The convenience makes it worth taking it all. I think that about a gram of toothpaste is needed per day, if used very sparingly. That could be some good research to undertake in the next few months!

My husband managed to make the tiny free tube given him by Emirates last the whole of the Norte....

I'd like to knock a KG off this weight.
So need to think seriously about some of the heavier stuff too.
Fleece? I don't use it a lot, but on cold days it's great.......
I can tweak the small stuff to save a bit, but I thin a heavier item needs to go too.

To be continued..........

That'll be hard. Your options are limited. In early spring you do want to be prepared for chill and rain:
  • Fleece - Could you replace with a slightly lighter weight thin down jacket or vest?
  • Rain jacket - I would never travel without; it's good for wind, cold and rain. You might get a new slighter lighter one.
  • Rain pants - You have an umbrella, so maybe here is your opportunity. I really like rain pants because staying warm is my #1 priority.
  • Sandals - I use lighter plastic shoes, but you have foot issues that take priority.
  • Sleeping bag - You can't go much lighter than what you have. However if you had a down jacket/vest and the lightest sleep liner, you might save 100-200 g. I'd really like to see you go prepared for albergues!
  • Headlight for safety? You have a phone, and probably don't plan to walk in the dark, do you?

I would leave behind the washing line trowel, teddy and tripod. Did you include an adaptor for Spanish power points? I've never taken a knife, nor needed one, but found a small spoon or spork really useful. If you've got anti-histamine would you need lavender oil? If you're careful using sunscreen and covering up you shouldn't get sunburnt. I'm going to stop taking a gortex jacket from now on. It's heavy, rarely gets used and holds in the moisture so end up feeling wet inside and out. There is a really good thread here about cheap strong ponchos from Ikea. Poncho will cover everything and allow air to flow.

Maybe I'll go earlier ;)
Just need to work out the likely weather.
January was wonderful, warm and sunny but great walking weather, and only a few walking between Seville and Merida. After that, no one. It did get snowy though getting near to Salamanca.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

View attachment 46945

This is a good start, but I suggest you start eliminating things. I walked the VDLP starting March 2018. It is remote, and can be wet and difficult. Towns are far apart and days are long. I recommend you ditch the cooking stuff, the shower shoes, ( wear your sandals to the shower), and anything else you don't really absolutely need. It was cold last spring. I needed the extra wool shirt. Leave the extra pants home, just bring something very light to wear in the evenings. Your approach is good, I weighed every thing on the kitchen scale and was able to select the lightest possible gear. It made a big difference. I am thinking of bringing a poncho ( with sleeves) and gaiters instead of rain coat and pants this year. Ill bring a down blanket instead of sleeping bag, to get a few more ounces out of the pack. Most Albergues had blankets.

In my many Caminos I have never taken rain trousers.My hiking trousers dry very quickly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ill bring a down blanket instead of sleeping bag, to get a few more ounces out of the pack. Most Albergues had blankets.
Thank’s for this information. Do they now? I heard most did not, which makes me anxious to leave a sleeping back home. ‘Most’ - so if not on a cold night, what do you do?

Thank’s for this information. Do they now? I heard most did not, which makes me anxious to leave a sleeping back home. ‘Most’ - so if not on a cold night, what do you do?

On the VDLP I found the down blanket was enough for me. Ocasionally I also used the albergue's blanket. On both of my caminos I have had to walk in very heavy rain, where the rain pants saved my boots. Otherwise I would have had water soaking thru my pants, and running down my legs into my boots. My pants might have dried out, but not so much my boots. I hate carrying the extra weight from the rain pants, but have not yet found a good alternative. I met a man who made his own gaiters, these seemed to work well in the rain. I may try that this year. Packing is so tricky. Bringing "just enough gear" is an art.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laura I’m sorry, I’m not sure what you mean by a down blanket :oops:

Do you mean like a duvet?

Yes, but it is a very lightweight one. Many people on the forum have these inexpensive ones. I have folded mine in half and added a zipper, so I have a lightweight sleeping bag. I supplement it as necessary with a down vest and other extra clothes. These blankets can be very slippery so some people put snaps or fasteners to hold them in place. Still others use the down blanket inside a sleeping bag liner - the liner holds it in place and also gives more insulation.

Looks very suitable. I tried to find something similar in Europe but no succes yet.

I found mine at costco. It comes with a stuff sack. I think it is for sitting under while you watch TV. it is 5 ft x 6ft and weighs 15 oz. Woulld not work for a really tall guy, but it works great for me, (5' 6" normal weight)

I found mine at costco. It comes with a stuff sack. I think it is for sitting under while you watch TV. it is 5 ft x 6ft and weighs 15 oz. Woulld not work for a really tall guy, but it works great for me, (5' 6" normal weight)
I have cut the Costco blanket in half and bound the raw edges, then tuck it inside a silk liner. 20180925_100936 (1).jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you only take half of the blanket?
I actually already had a down blanket from Montbell about the same size as half a Costco blanket, and that's what I bring, but I have made these half blankets for several people and they like them. It makes for a flexible sleep system. I can use the silk liner by itself when it's hot, or tuck the down blanket inside when it's colder. When it's really hot I like to put the blanket between the silk liner and the sometimes sticky vinyl covered mattresses. The silk liner weighs less than 7.5 ounces, so there's a bit of weight savings too.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back