• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP Rest Days Recommendations Please

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Now that I have booked my flights and have an idea about my itinerary (stages are certainly not set in stone, just planned a bit to know when I might be where approximately) which places would you recommend for a rest day or short day? So far I have:

Sevilla - Will stay there two full days to 'change the chip', get SIM card and Credencial and to do sightseeing/savouring life.

Fuenterobles - Most likely will take a rest day there to chat with Blas whom I haven't seen in ages, if he is there.

Salamanca - My friend there would be very disappointed if I only would stay one night at her place ...

So, as I have a generous schedule, where else would you recommend to stay a wee bit longer on the VdlP?

Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
where else would you recommend to stay a wee bit longer on the VdlP?

Cáceres and Zamora. Maybe an extra day in Sevilla too (you can always visit nearby Carmona if you think you are done with Sevilla earlier). Zafra if you are looking for a smaller place.

Castilian hit the button before I did. He added two places which crossed my mind when I read your post. Have stayed in Zamora 4x as a peregrina and 4 days as a hospitalera and will certainly return again. There is something special about the entry into the city...crossing the bridge (both from the Plata and the Levante) and up to the albergue.

Salamanca is also a must but it is already on your list.

Re Fuenterroble: I have stayed three times and Don Blas was not there on any of the occasions. He is quite a busy bee!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with all of these suggestions and would add that in Ourense you have an opportunity to visit the municipally run spotlessly clean thermal baths (or pay a very low fee and go to the private place next door). Ourense has its charms, though I don't think it's as spectacular as the other cities mentioned.

For something different -- before I go on and on about Santa Lucia de Trampal (lovely 3 km walk from Alcuescar, a visigothic church in a meadow of flowers) or San Pedro de la Nave (about 20 km outside of Zamora but marked as the Braganca variant) let me know if you are as enamored of these old stones as I am. There are some absolutely amazing carvings, especially in San Pedro, and Santa Lucia has a nice informative display inside the church to explain the old monastic life of which it was a part. I think these two places are among the most beautiful old sites I've visited on my caminos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, SY,
To Santa Lucia: Go to the ayuntamiento and there you will see the markings, the way is all marked. It is along country roads mostly, so it's on asphalt, but the only car that passed me belonged to the woman who works in the church. I had a short day from Aljucen, showered and dropped off my pack in Alcuescar and took a packed lunch out to the fields outside the church and then had a nice siesta till the woman came to open. It's about 3 km each way, I think, totally flat.

To San Pedro de la Nave: A bit more complicated. I was lucky because the hospitalero at the albergue in Zamora wanted to see the church, too, so he drove me out, we visited it, and I walked back alone. Since I am so good at getting lost, this was the perfect opportunity, walking backwards. I lost the arrows but wound up back in Zamora with no problem, it's all across agricultural fields and tracks. I can dig up more information on the route, but I'm not going to have access to my computer for about five days. If I had my choice, I would rather have walked out, visited the church and gotten a ride back, that would have reduced the odds of my getting lost, but hey it was fine. There is no public transportation that I'm aware of, so it would be a pricey taxi ride or a hope that you found someone in town going into Zamora.

Merida is wonderful with a lot of great ruins to see - a day at least there.
I'd personally book a private room in Merida. The albergue is unattended and had thefts occurring when I was there, plus it's just a nice place to rest in a private room.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is no public transportation that I'm aware of

www.castanoehijos.com offers bus service between Zamora and Campillo twice a week... or so they say in their web. Confirm schedules with them and ask if it's a regular service or a public on-demand one. If it's a public on-demand one, ask how it works the system (or go directly to the point and ask if you can use it and if you get an afirmative answer, when would you need to book it).

P.S.: If you walk from Zamora to San Pedro de la Nave (or backwards from San Pedro de la Nave to Zamora) following the Portuguese variant of the Vía de la Plata, don't overlook the church in La Hiniesta (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_de_Santa_María_la_Real_(La_Hiniesta)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Merida is wonderful with a lot of great ruins to see - a day at least there.
I'd personally book a private room in Merida. The albergue is unattended and had thefts occurring when I was there, plus it's just a nice place to rest in a private room.

Any recommendations? SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As I remember our forum member @Charrito is from Salamanca. I have no doubt youl'll get all his attention in case of need.

Ultreia!

Now that I have booked my flights and have an idea about my itinerary (stages are certainly not set in stone, just planned a bit to know when I might be where approximately) which places would you recommend for a rest day or short day? So far I have:

Sevilla - Will stay there two full days to 'change the chip', get SIM card and Credencial and to do sightseeing/savouring life.

Fuenterobles - Most likely will take a rest day there to chat with Blas whom I haven't seen in ages, if he is there.

Salamanca - My friend there would be very disappointed if I only would stay one night at her place ...

So, as I have a generous schedule, where else would you recommend to stay a wee bit longer on the VdlP?

Buen Camino, SY
Stay longer at anyplace that catches your fancy. One persons rock can be anothers diamond in the ruff. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Merida, Ourense, Salamanca have already been covered. Usually big city towns. Merida full of roman history and giant aqeduct on the way out. Salamanca cathedral and house of concha plus more (university type town) Ourensa thermal baths, cathedral with statue of St James and very good artwork and architecture plus roman history. So much to see and do but have fun

Merida! Be aware that on Mondays most museums etc. is closed in Merida as in many most places in Spain.
I stayed another night to visit the Roman museum bacause it was closed on Mondays.

One persons rock can be anothers diamond in the ruff.

So true. I'm not a fan of Mérida but I know it has its fans and, as you can see on this thread, they are many. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean Mérida doesn't deserve a visit (it, in fact, deserves it) what I mean is that I wouldn't spend an extra day there. But maybe I'm too used to Roman ruins...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Taking notes - we'll be walking from Merida (where we left off many years ago) to Salamanca in a couple of months.

Buen Camino, SY

SY
I would strongly recommend Merida. Google it (images) and you will see why.
I also liked the old town section of Caceres.

Dave

Ok, you all have convinced me, Merida is certainly on the list! Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen Camino, SY
ZAFRA without a shadow of a doubt - the old town is wonderful.

My vote goes to Mérida as well :) - a great cheap hotel there: La Flor de Al-Andalus.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino, SY
Everything you have said plus Merida, lots to see and a delightful place to relax. Ourense, plenty of churches and back streets to explore with superb restaurants. The monastery of Oseira, isolated, calm and you can attend the monks evening service, you don't have to be religious to enjoy the medieval atmosphere this engenders. And if you take a day off here you can prepare yourself for the last hilly assault to SdeC.

You will find my blog and video at
www.dartmoorwalker.blogspot.co.uk

Have a good walk, I did in 2015.

As above, but also Baños de Montemayor. Lovely mountain town, with hot thermal spas. They have pilgrim rates, 3.50e got us robes, swimsuit, slippers, and two hours in one lovely warm bath. And Baños is close to Hervás, a short detour off the camino. You can explore Hervás, then walk a marked route on to Baños, same day. Hervás is a lovely city higher in the hills, with a rare well-preserved Jewish quarter. And, if you're going in spring, the Jerta valley is nearby, which is reportedly awash with cherry blossoms and a sight to behold in season.
I would have loved to stay an extra day just to relax, do a full round of the spa, after a day of exploring. Good food there too.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back