• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdLP scenery?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I have thirty days in the spring ~April ~ and am thinking about walking the VdLP from Sevilla to Salamanca. I know it is fairly flat, and some people say it is beautiful and others say very boring. I am interested in the Roman ruins/road, I liked the meseta on CF and I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Would love to hear impressions from others (esp. who walked in the spring).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Beauty is in deed in the eye of the beholder Jill. I loved the wide open space and seeing the golden light roll over the fields to warm you in the morning. Apparently the Spanish often do a stretch of the Vdlp in spring just to enjoy the wild flowers and as an antidote to modern living so I am sure you will enjoy it,

Scott used to march along fancying himself as one of Ceasers 10th, plenty of stretches on old roman roads and you can see milestones and old road stones used in farmers fences. Merida has fantastic ruins, but you will also find odd gems along the way if you look for them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Jill,
I've got some pictures in my blog from this spring, linked below in my signature. The springtime scenery is gorgeous. Lots of the time in Extremadura is through what is known as dehesa. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehesa In the spring the bright green and the flowers contrast with the boulders and oak trees. Lots of water running through it in little rivulets, lots of opportunities for just shouting out in joy and appreciation. I came across a Dutch man the morning out of Aljucen and he was literally in tears from the beauty of it all. I can't imagine crying over it, but I agree it is awesome. And you have bookended it with terrific cities! And will have Merida and Caceres in between, I think you will love it.

I have thirty days in the spring ~April ~ and am thinking about walking the VdLP from Sevilla to Salamanca. I know it is fairly flat, and some people say it is beautiful and others say very boring. I am interested in the Roman ruins/road, I liked the meseta on CF and I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Would love to hear impressions from others (esp. who walked in the spring).
I walked Seville to Salamanca in February and March. I loved it! I saw lots of Roman ruins and roads, and beautiful scenery that brought tears to my eyes. IMHO I think you’ll enjoy it as well. My memories are sustaining me until I can get back to Salamanca to finish to Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jill I also plan on walking from Sevilleat the beginning of April, maybe we will see each other!

I walked the VDLP starting April 13 in 2017 . Previously I had walked the Frances , Norte , Portuguese and other Caminos . I have loved them all but the VDLP is one of the special ones and is one I will definitely do again . Possibly my favourite ??? I love them all . The Albergues are fantastic ... not crowded and wonderful changing scenery. Like any of these adventures ..... just book your flight and go ... dont over think it . You will love it .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely agree with the others that from what you say you will love the Plata Jill. I am actually jealous as Spring is the only season in which I haven't walked the Plata.

Ultreia!

Jill
I walked from Sevilla to Salamanca this year starting on 12 April. It exceeded my expectations by miles. There had been a lot of rain which at times made some of the tracks and crossings a challenge. This was more than compensated for by the flowers. It was my 5 th Camino and as others have remarked different and definitely worth while. Most of the other walkers had done many Caminos so quite different conversations than on the more popular routes. The history was fascinating, food generally good. Would not like to try though in summer or autumn as it would be I think a totally different and less attractive time.
Go for it
Happymark

Hi, Jill,
I've got some pictures in my blog from this spring, linked below in my signature.
Laurie, I'm not seeing anything on the VDLP from this spring, only from 2013.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Laurie, I'm not seeing anything on the VDLP from this spring, only from 2013.
Hi, mcopeland,
The first one, from this spring, is "Mozárabe and Vdlp." I only walked as far as Salamanca this year because of time constraints, and the Mozárabe joins the Vdlp in Mérida, so my 2018 pics will not cover Sevilla to Mérida. I do have a lot of Vdlp pics online from my 2010 Vdlp, at least if picasa is still working.

Sevilla to Cáceres: https://get.google.com/albumarchive...XHLLITvD8YqvtPEojieQ4?authKey=CP7ajL249_qj4AE

Cáceres to Zamora:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive...M02qyfoh_mReJv79AM9iM?authKey=CP7ajL249_qj4AE

Zamora to Santiago:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive...TlZqP2lmrV4uOMVc9OoV7?authKey=CP7ajL249_qj4AE

Jill
I walked from Sevilla to Salamanca this year starting on 12 April. It exceeded my expectations by miles. There had been a lot of rain which at times made some of the tracks and crossings a challenge. This was more than compensated for by the flowers. It was my 5 th Camino and as others have remarked different and definitely worth while. Most of the other walkers had done many Caminos so quite different conversations than on the more popular routes. The history was fascinating, food generally good. Would not like to try though in summer or autumn as it would be I think a totally different and less attractive time.
Go for it
Happymark
hi Mark ,,,,yes agree with all you have said ,,,,and that it was a pleasure to spend time with you along the vldp

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, mcopeland,
The first one, from this spring, is "Mozárabe and Vdlp." I only walked as far as Salamanca this year because of time constraints, and the Mozárabe joins the Vdlp in Mérida, so my 2018 pics will not cover Sevilla to Mérida. I do have a lot of Vdlp pics online from my 2010 Vdlp, at least if picasa is still working.

Sevilla to Cáceres: https://get.google.com/albumarchive...XHLLITvD8YqvtPEojieQ4?authKey=CP7ajL249_qj4AE

Cáceres to Zamora:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive...M02qyfoh_mReJv79AM9iM?authKey=CP7ajL249_qj4AE

Zamora to Santiago:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive...TlZqP2lmrV4uOMVc9OoV7?authKey=CP7ajL249_qj4AE
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

The VDLP is lovely. I wouldn't describe it as flat, more rolling and gradual. but the elevation gradually increases all the way along. I went in summer and even though it was arid and in the middle of a heatwave there is a definite golden beauty at that time of year. Salamanca is one of my favourite places in Spain being a lovely university town.

Which town would you say is a definite worth a day (or more) of visiting?
Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Which town would you say is a definite worth a day (or more) of visiting?
Thanks

That is impossible to answer in the singular. ;)This route goes through some of the most wonderful small cities in Spain, IMO. Mérida for the Roman and Moorish stuff, Cáceres for the Renaissance historic core, Salamanca for the university and one of, if not the, most beautiful plaza mayor in Spain, Zamora with more than 25 romanesque churches, a great castle, beautiful little modernista neighborhood, the river, and then finally Ourense with its thermal baths and a romanesque Portico in the cathedral that may have been done by Maestro Mateo like the Pórtico de la Gloria in Santiago (it retains more of its original paint than the restored pórtico in Santiago and there you don´t have to wait 3 hours in line to see it!). And those are just the cities, then there are some pretty great little towns, too, like Puebla de Sanabria.

...then there are some pretty great little towns, too, like Puebla de Sanabria.
Well, that one is actually on the Camino Sanabres ;)
But it is nowadays known as a branch of VdlP.
VdlP goes north to Astorga as I know.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back