• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP starting in Slamanca in June/July?? Too hot??

Heinrich

Hey guys,
I am an inexperienced pilgrim, but really want to walk the VdlP. I intend to start in Salamanca. I know that the weather is supposed to be extremely hot at the VdlP around July, but I wonder if this is only true for the southern part of the way??
I am quite fit and dont worry too much about the long distance. But would you say, the weather is tolerabe from Salamanca to Santiago in June/July?? I have only time during End of June and Beginning of July...!

And my 2nd question: Does the way go often along streets with cars on it or is it more or less quiet??

I would be really grateful if someone could help me out with these questions!!

Thanks a lot
Heinrich

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is road walking and a lot of road construction along the N630 north of Salamanca--most unpleasant especially because it was hot (early May) and road walking is not only unpleasant but dangerous.
8)
Patricia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
End of June, early July does not sound like enough time to walk from Salamanca. Consider Zamora.... It is still 2 and a half weeks to Santiago. I am here now and it has been hot, not unbearable, although we have had nice winds, and very cool mornings. So same time of year as you are planning.
Lillian

What if a person were to start in SEvilla mid August?
Just HOW hot would it be then?

It's difficult to figure out how to walk the Plata.
If you start when it's cooler, you chance freezing when you get further North.
Joe and I are trying to figure out when to start, and it's really agonizing making this decision.

Has anyone walked during the hot months?

I´ve been in Merida and Caceres in July and August, and it was nigh on unbearable. It´s OK in the mornings, but about 12:30 p.m. the heat comes down like a great curtain and just flattens everything that´s not in the shade. The heat seems to build til about 5 p.m., then slowly fades.

Merida in late July gave me a much better understanding of where the "siesta" concept came from, and why the locals call it "the frying-pan of Spain."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Could a person plan to get up EARLY (sunrise) and walk until the heat of the day.
Then stop, siesta, and continue in late afternoon?

How much water must one carry on this Camino stretch?

On the Frances, I simply carried a 1 litre jug and filled it along the way.
I'm not a big water carrier. I would rather carry it in my belly.

Anniesantiago said:
I'm not a big water carrier. I would rather carry it in my belly.

I agree. But, with that approach I ended up on the Camino Ingles without water and very thirsty. Got some water from a farm house and was sick for two days, emptying from both ends. No more, thanks!

Cheers!
Jean-Marc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walking in Catalonia in early September was very hot, and I was twice picked up by the police for Walking In Excessive heat and possibly causing them extra paperwork. I found that I was drinking several litres of water a day, and fuentes were not always easily accessible. Others will chime in with their experience and suggestions, but I would recommend a camelpack carrier with 1.5 litre capacity. Carrying it in your tummy will likely not be enough.

Has anyone else here begun their walk in Sevilla in mid or late August?
I'd be interested in hearing your experience.

I've heard alarming news of 45 degree days, but what is the NORMAL temperature in late August in Southern Spain? I can deal with 102 F degree weather, I grew up in it. But 120 is another matter.

We started from Seville in late July by bike and would advise against it. By bike you can cover larger distances with less water loss than a walker but there were one or two sections where we were very concerned with our water supply despite carrying 1.5 litre Camelbacks and two water bottles on the bike. As Rebekah says by midday the heat has built up and it is very, very hot in the afternoon.

I would say that by the time you leave Extremadura things are getting a little cooler. The Seville-Caceres stretch I remember as being the worst after that I remember hills and lakes and more villages but it was in 2000 so my memory may be playing tricks on me..

We went South from Seville a year or two later thinking that the breezes from the sea would keep the tempreture cooler but it was only when we were on the coast itself we found any effect and it was just as hot inland as before.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok. Thanks everyone! We have our tickets but are still trying to figure out our walk this year. We'd sure love to do the VDLP... looks like we'll do it backwards after walking from Leon to Santiago.

I'm contemplating doing the VDLP in 2015 and it looks like the time I am mostly to get leave would be mid-year. So I would be looking at a mid-June start. The discussions about heat are a bit daunting but what kind of heat are we talking about? Is is high or low humidity? Do you actually notice yourself sweating or does it evaporate straight off the body? I have lived in the Northern Territory in Australia for several years in both the Red Centre which is desert country and in the tropical Top End which is notorious for its very humid Buildup. I exercise outdoors in those conditions. Is there anywhere in Australia with a similar climate?
I actually get more worried about the cold. It was a very cloudy 24 degrees today with high humidity and I was wearing a fleece jacket. My house is a pretty even 33 degrees - I don't use an air conditioner.

Hi Donna Sch,
It sounds like you will do just fine from Salamanca on. I did the VdlP in July from Sevilla-Zamora and Zamora-Finisterre in July and August and the northern section is definately doable. When I arrived in Zamora last summer it was 31 degrees (dry) and it progressively got cooler. Mornings I wore a fleece for about an hour (or less if there was a climb at the beginning) and was comfortable in a t-shirt and shorts. Sleeping in the albergues with my silk liner under me was perfect. Most likely you will sweat but it is very different than in a humid climate. I know this too as I have lived in Florida and it is deadly in the summer - you just step outside and begin to sweat!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm contemplating doing the VDLP in 2015 and it looks like the time I am mostly to get leave would be mid-year. So I would be looking at a mid-June start. The discussions about heat are a bit daunting but what kind of heat are we talking about? Is is high or low humidity? Do you actually notice yourself sweating or does it evaporate straight off the body? I have lived in the Northern Territory in Australia for several years in both the Red Centre which is desert country and in the tropical Top End which is notorious for its very humid Buildup. I exercise outdoors in those conditions. Is there anywhere in Australia with a similar climate?
I actually get more worried about the cold. It was a very cloudy 24 degrees today with high humidity and I was wearing a fleece jacket. My house is a pretty even 33 degrees - I don't use an air conditioner.

As a native too I can say if you have lived the Northern Territory and the Red Centre, you probably feel quite at home starting in June. The only complaint you have is when you approach Galicia and find the weather a bit chilly and even damp as compared to Australian standards.

Thanks everyone. Now I have a better idea what I am going to be dealing with. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey guys,
I am an inexperienced pilgrim, but really want to walk the VdlP. I intend to start in Salamanca. I know that the weather is supposed to be extremely hot at the VdlP around July, but I wonder if this is only true for the southern part of the way??
I am quite fit and dont worry too much about the long distance. But would you say, the weather is tolerabe from Salamanca to Santiago in June/July?? I have only time during End of June and Beginning of July...!

And my 2nd question: Does the way go often along streets with cars on it or is it more or less quiet??

I would be really grateful if someone could help me out with these questions!!

Thanks a lot
Heinrich

hi Heinrich
The VdlP from Salamanca is still more or less on the Meseta -so you can bank on extremely hot conditions in June/July; when you get into the Cantabrian foothills some 100km further from Zamora e'g. Pueblo de Sanabria, there may be a degree or 2 difference wit the Meseta proper - but still way too hot!! For me at least - I started in Salamanca in early Oct (2006) but thought the scenery to Zamora kinda dull and uninspiring - so I bussed to Pueblo de Sanabria from Zamora and got to SdC on 25th Oct - having done the C. Aragones before that - the mts were great in terms of climate and scenery.

If you go in June/July, you must make sure you carry lots of water with you and keep drinking regularly - also good 30 spf sun protection (hat sunglasses long sleeve shirt as well)

happy trails
Peter

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back