• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP timing.

Time of past OR future Camino
travelling from SJPP in early May 2014
Having cancelled my Camino plans for the past 3 years I am planning to walk the VDLP from Seville next spring. I would particularly like to experience the desert blooming. Holy week is 9th April and starting from 15th seems a bit too late. Any advice about when to set off before Holy week to give me the best chance. Also what can I expect re acommodation availability during Holy week higher up. All advice is welcome.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good choice! in my VdlP experience, you are picking the right time, mid April is the best time to leave Sevilla and see all the flowers and blooms all the way to the province of Salamanca, where you will feel you are back to winter even if it is only the beginning of May.
Given a choice, I would those dates myself!
Buen camino!

Having cancelled my Camino plans for the past 3 years I am planning to walk the VDLP from Seville next spring. I would particularly like to experience the desert blooming. Holy week is 9th April and starting from 15th seems a bit too late. Any advice about when to set off before Holy week to give me the best chance. Also what can I expect re acommodation availability during Holy week higher up. All advice is welcome.
I started VDLP in early March to avoid the heat because I can’t walk when it’s hot. And it was great very wonderful weather
And a bit warmer as I approached the north and Santiago ( 2012)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I are planning to walk the VdlP beginning in the first half of April next year - although starting in Cadiz. It sounds like it should be good timing. We hope to see you along the way. We have heard it is smart to book accommodations in advance during Semana Santa. Also, just to clarify, Holy Week runs from April 2 - 9. We may time our arrival in Spain to occur right after Easter to avoid the big crowds.

I walked this year from March 4 until April 12. The weather was cool but fine, there were enough albergues etc. open and there was just the right number of pilgrims to have company and yet walk on my own. It was my third Camino and I really enjoyed it.

I would say plan for Semana Santa carefully. The crowds in Seville (I flew into and back home from there) were ridiculous on Good Friday and the numbers of pilgrims really picked up from Ourense (the last 5 or 6 days in and during the week before Easter for me).

There are a number of LIVE FROM THE CAMINO forum threads that will give you lots of information and hints about starting in March.

I started in late January and if heading north you are fine for the first 200 miles but then you start noticing the colder air. Why not start in March to arrive in Santiago in Holy Week?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife and I are planning to walk the VdlP beginning in the first half of April next year - although starting in Cadiz. It sounds like it should be good timing. We hope to see you along the way. We have heard it is smart to book accommodations in advance during Semana Santa. Also, just to clarify, Holy Week runs from April 2 - 9. We may time our arrival in Spain to occur right after Easter to avoid the big crowds.
BruceC,

Like you, wife and I will be walking out of Cadiz on our VdlP push on 8 Apr 23. As you note...agree likely wise (and confirmed by others comments here) to book accommodation during Easter week. So far I've found digs (in all but two locations) on the Via Augusta quite easily (and in Seville for a few days). That said, we're facing a first day that is a little longer than I would like (Cadiz to El Puerto de Santa Maria)...just so that we can reach Jerez de la Frontera at a reasonable time on Easter Sunday. Seems there is a fair bit to do/see/taste in Jerez, so also planning a rest night there as well (but have no idea of what might be open Easter Sunday/Monday).
Overall, I'm sort of hoping that by the time we leave Seville (18 Apr) we will avoid the initial post-Easter wave. Yet, I'm reminded of the saying about the 'best made plans' :)

Buen Camino!

BruceC,

Like you, wife and I will be walking out of Cadiz on our VdlP push on 8 Apr 23. As you note...agree likely wise (and confirmed by others comments here) to book accommodation during Easter week. So far I've found digs (in all but two locations) on the Via Augusta quite easily (and in Seville for a few days). That said, we're facing a first day that is a little longer than I would like (Cadiz to El Puerto de Santa Maria)...just so that we can reach Jerez de la Frontera at a reasonable time on Easter Sunday. Seems there is a fair bit to do/see/taste in Jerez, so also planning a rest night there as well (but have no idea of what might be open Easter Sunday/Monday).
Overall, I'm sort of hoping that by the time we leave Seville (18 Apr) we will avoid the initial post-Easter wave. Yet, I'm reminded of the saying about the 'best made plans' :)

Buen Camino!
Kev & Kath -

You are way more organized than we are at this point! But your timing sounds intriguing, and we should probably start thinking of booking rooms for the first few days. Maybe we'll see you in Cadiz or along the way. Your departure time from Sevilla sounds like you should miss any post-Easter rush (if there is one).

It also looks like you walked the CF near the time we did - we started just a bit earlier than you in mid-September last fall from SJPP. Where did you start? Did you walk all the way from Le Puy? How was it walking in November and December? Maybe we should take this offline. Let me know if you want an email address.

¡Buen Camino a los dos!

Hello
This year I walked about half the Via de la Plata, starting in Sevilla and finishing in Salamanca. That was all the time I could spare - I'll be back to finish this on Sanabrese, my third Camino, around the same time next year.
I left Sevilla on 28 April, and arrived after 22 days (no rest days) in Salamanca on 19 May. So I started about 10 days after Easter.
The weather was great for walking - cool mornings and mild to warm days. I didn't have any rain at all, and the wildflowers, poppies etc were amazing.
I was surprised how many pilgrims and other walkers and cyclists there were, and it soon became necessary to phone ahead and book where possible a day or two ahead. Another thing that surprised me this year was how few non-Europeans I met. I think two from Canada, two from the USA and two from New Zealand. And no Aussies other than myself! I'm sure that will change as travel has freed up.
Buen camino to everyone!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Any time in March or April is going to be a popular starting time from Seville. The situation on the Via has returned to more-or-less normal although there are fewer pilgrims than in a normal year. Hopefully next year will be back to normal.

As regards accommodation, I would book Seville in advance and maybe the first couple of days, then see how it goes from there. Easter can be problematic because people are off work so I'd organise something a week or so in advance.

Last edited:
If you like to party, you could visit Seville's Feria de Abril which starts on the 23rd April for a week, an experiance not to be missed! Only problem is that entrance to the best "booths" or "pavilions" is by invitation only, although there are a few where admission is open to the public.
Then start your camino.
regards
George.g

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello
This year I walked about half the Via de la Plata, starting in Sevilla and finishing in Salamanca. That was all the time I could spare - I'll be back to finish this on Sanabrese, my third Camino, around the same time next year.
I left Sevilla on 28 April, and arrived after 22 days (no rest days) in Salamanca on 19 May. So I started about 10 days after Easter.
The weather was great for walking - cool mornings and mild to warm days. I didn't have any rain at all, and the wildflowers, poppies etc were amazing.
I was surprised how many pilgrims and other walkers and cyclists there were, and it soon became necessary to phone ahead and book where possible a day or two ahead. Another thing that surprised me this year was how few non-Europeans I met. I think two from Canada, two from the USA and two from New Zealand. And no Aussies other than myself! I'm sure that will change as travel has freed up.
Buen camino to everyone!
There were Ausdies this year on the VDLP, I was one of them walking late April May.... I knew of others as well... you must have just missed us all! It was wonderful walking that time of year.

There were Ausdies this year on the VDLP, I was one of them walking late April May.... I knew of others as well... you must have just missed us all! It was wonderful walking that time of year.
Yes I must have missed the Aussie wave. Some hospitalieros/as did tell me they had received groups of Australians. I just didn't meet any at all. Not that this is a problem, just an observation.
And you are right - it was a wonderful time to walk. I'm looking forward to continuing on from Salamanca at the same time next year.

Yes I must have missed the Aussie wave. Some hospitalieros/as did tell me they had received groups of Australians. I just didn't meet any at all. Not that this is a problem, just an observation.
And you are right - it was a wonderful time to walk. I'm looking forward to continuing on from Salamanca at the same time next year.
I and a few other Aussies started around 21st April this year so we were a week ahead of you.
Apart from the second day which had torrential rain all day we had great weather.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Robert, I walked this year, I started the after Easter Monday from Saville. Spring wild flowers were in almost full bloom. Its was an excellent time to start. As this year was a holy year it was a little busy, however I never had a problem finding a bed for the night. No I did not book ahead, I just walked til I need to stop,(about 15-20kms) I did break up a few of the longer days, especially early on. Later on as the built up more walking strength I increased my distances (20-38Kms). I managed to complete the VDLP in
40/41days with an average around 24-25kms with only one rest day.
Buen Camino

Hi Robert, I walked this year, I started the after Easter Monday from Saville. Spring wild flowers were in almost full bloom. Its was an excellent time to start. As this year was a holy year it was a little busy, however I never had a problem finding a bed for the night. No I did not book ahead, I just walked til I need to stop,(about 15-20kms) I did break up a few of the longer days, especially early on. Later on as the built up more walking strength I increased my distances (20-38Kms). I managed to complete the VDLP in
40/41days with an average around 24-25kms with only one rest day.
Buen Camino
Thanks Dodger. That is helpful.I have started with some knee stiffness this summer so expect my limit may be around 25kms.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back