• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP to Astorga - Looking for Threads / Blogs

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Maybe someone can provide some links? Been trying to track some down.
I'm looking for blogs / threads that cover the VdlP between Granja and Astorga.

For my next Camino I'm hoping to walk the VdlP.
And after much deliberation, and reading, have decided to head North at the 'split' to Astorga.
From there I'll head to Ponferrada giving me another chance to see Rabanal and the Cruz de Ferro.
And if my body can still make it, I'll take the Invierno from Ponferrada to SdC.

I've been avidly reading threads related to the VdlP, a great one that many contributed to by @AJGuillaume of course.
And have watched all of the VdlP videos by @Sara_Dhooma naturally.

But I am yet to find a thread, blog or videos that cover that section from Granja to Astorga.
Though I did read the blog by @C clearly of that section that was highlighted in the @AJGuillaume virtual camino thread.
Thanks for that! https://tritetales.com/2017/04/16/day-28-granja-to-benavente-30-km/

I just wondered if there were others out there?

It would be nice to read and see more about that section.

Places worth seeing, avoiding, staying at, that type of stuff.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked this part of the Camino twice. VdlP is different from CF, for sure. But this part is even more different (which I especially like). Everything is more elementary and therefore in a way even more experienced - all the time you are with yourself and with nature (and locals). The vast majority opt for Camino Sanabres, in fact almost everyone. The path was very beautiful for me. The only part that is not close to my heart is the exit from Benavente - the road. But even that is the Camino. Maybe you can ask a specific question - what exactly are you interested in. Here are some photos of this part of Camino, I hope the link works Granja - Astorga

I walked this part of the Camino twice. VdlP is different from CF, for sure. But this part is even more different (which I especially like). Everything is more elementary and therefore in a way even more experienced - all the time you are with yourself and with nature (and locals). The vast majority opt for Camino Sanabres, in fact almost everyone. The path was very beautiful for me. The only part that is not close to my heart is the exit from Benavente - the road. But even that is the Camino. Maybe you can ask a specific question - what exactly are you interested in. Here are some photos of this part of Camino, I hope the link works Granja - Astorga
m108,
Your photo essay is great! Thanks so much for sharing your memories and pictures. Where is that impressive trestle bridge with the wooden walkway?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where is that impressive trestle bridge with the wooden walkway?
Thanks! The bridge is just behind Barcial del Barco on the way to Benavente - the “new” (a few years old) route runs along the previous railway tracks, Kilometers of beautiful trails (with an idyllic wooden fence and a very nicely landscaped track). If you walk in May - it's really like walking on paradise meadows (poppies and other wildflowers)🥰

Hi Robo,

For what it is worth, I walked from Salamanca to Astorga in Sept this year, having previously walked from Seville to Salamanca in 2018. The VdlP in my opinion is not at all like the CF. Both are beautiful and the walking on the VdlP is well worth it. However be aware that the VdlP is not quite as pilgrim friendly as the CF (which of course some people see as a plus). So when you get to the village that you plan to stay in for the night, it is quite often not open for business when you get there in the afternoon and you have to wait around until evening time before things open up. So from a practical point of view make sure you have enough food and water to see you through the afternoon. And of course be prepared that you may not be able to have a shower, a snooze or a nice drink between arriving in a place and when it opens up later in the evening. Of course such a thing is neither good or bad in itself, but it is different to the experience of the CF which has become pilgrim friendly over the years. In fact in one place, Alija del Infantado everything (except for a bar) was closed and did not open at all. Now the pandemic was partially responsible and the restaurant owners were on vacation and the hotel was sold for apartment development, but that night I had to suck it up. Frankly I was surprised that it happened only once as it was a close run thing on a few occasions.

The VdlP in summary; I loved the walk, but the lack of facilities when you needed them most at the end of your day's walk was a little tiresome (yeah I know, a first world problem). So just be aware it isn't the Camino Frances.

Aidan

Maybe someone can provide some links? Been trying to track some down.
I'm looking for blogs / threads that cover the VdlP between Granja and Astorga.

For my next Camino I'm hoping to walk the VdlP.
And after much deliberation, and reading, have decided to head North at the 'split' to Astorga.
From there I'll head to Ponferrada giving me another chance to see Rabanal and the Cruz de Ferro.
And if my body can still make it, I'll take the Invierno from Ponferrada to SdC.

I've been avidly reading threads related to the VdlP, a great one that many contributed to by @AJGuillaume of course.
And have watched all of the VdlP videos by @Sara_Dhooma naturally.

But I am yet to find a thread, blog or videos that cover that section from Granja to Astorga.
Though I did read the blog by @C clearly of that section that was highlighted in the @AJGuillaume virtual camino thread.
Thanks for that! https://tritetales.com/2017/04/16/day-28-granja-to-benavente-30-km/

I just wondered if there were others out there?

It would be nice to read and see more about that section.

Places worth seeing, avoiding, staying at, that type of stuff.
I’ve done both alternatives

Out of season - do Astorga
In season - Sanabres

Why?

Solitude is given so low number of walkers means a pick up year round when reaching Astorga….

Ultreia🙏🏼

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've walked Granja to Astorga twice, the last time was a few years ago. I enjoyed it (but then I enjoyed every Camino I've ever walked!) but the landscape is nothing special, mostly pretty flat. I second Aidan's comments above, this is not a Camino-of-convience like what you find on the CF. Carry some food with you because you never know when shops, bars, etc. are going to be closed. That also applies to the whole Via de la Plata.

I did a simple app for this Camino, it's free. I haven't updated it since Covid so I have no idea of the status of the albergues but the route should be unchanged. @Aidan21 if you could tell me about your experience last September I can update the info in the guide based on that, basically if the albergues were open or not.

It's here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.caminoguide.astorga

Buen Camino!
Gerald

Though I did read the blog by @C clearly of that section that was highlighted...
I did blog about all 4 stages from Granja to Astorga, but I admit that providing useful information is not something I focus on!

I have developed a peculiar fondness in my memories, probably because that route seems to be the underdog and gets lost in comparison of the two major routes . I especially like what @Flog wrote in another thread:
While I loved the Sanabres for it's scenery and it's challenging terrain, there was a somewhat odd, melancholic feel about the walk to Astorga. Of course, finding yourself suddenly alone after a month or more of pilgrim company can do that, but I loved it anyway: a stretch of abandoned Victorian railway line into Benavente where the albergue is in the old station, on through strange empty towns and villages with dusty streets and little mounds of wine caves, some astounding street art in La Bañeza and a beautiful approach into Astorga that doesnt involve that godawful railway bridge.

I've walked Granja to Astorga twice, the last time was a few years ago. I enjoyed it (but then I enjoyed every Camino I've ever walked!) but the landscape is nothing special, mostly pretty flat. I second Aidan's comments above, this is not a Camino-of-convience like what you find on the CF. Carry some food with you because you never know when shops, bars, etc. are going to be closed. That also applies to the whole Via de la Plata.

I did a simple app for this Camino, it's free. I haven't updated it since Covid so I have no idea of the status of the albergues but the route should be unchanged. @Aidan21 if you could tell me about your experience last September I can update the info in the guide based on that, basically if the albergues were open or not.

It's here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.caminoguide.astorga

Buen Camino!
Gerald
Hi Gerard,

This is what I can remember:

Calzada de Valdunciel
Municipal Albergue - Closed (weeds growing around the front door)
Albergue La casa del Molinero – Opened. I met the owner, he was a nice guy
Hostal El Pozo – Closed
The place I ate was the truck stop on the N630 a few hundred metres outside the village

El Cubo
Urbanizacion El Chinarral - A little out of town, I did not check it out
Albergue Turistico Torre de Sabre - Excellent Stay here. Good dinner also.
Albergue F&M – Closed

Villanueva de Campean
I didn’t stay here but everything looked closed as I walked through it

Zamora
I stayed in an hotel I found through Booking.Com

Montamarta
The only place I found opened was Casa Rural El Molino de Castilla. Everything else was closed. Very Nice place though and the woman running the Casa Rural was very helpful.

Griego del Camino
I didn’t stay here but in keeping with almost all rural Spanish villages I passed through the place was closed.

Granja de Moreruela
Municipal Albergue was closed

Casa Rural del Tio Quico was the place I stayed. But only after a Spanish pilgrim turned up and made a phone call (my Spanish is not good enough for phone calls) and the owner turned up and let us in. I could only find one shop in the village that was opened, no restaurants.

Benavente

Alija del Infantado
Here I ran out of luck. No restaurant, no hotel and no Albergue. So I took refuge in the porch of the local church.

La Baneza

Astorga
I stayed in the Municipal Alburgue. Good place.

Aidan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Great photos. Many thanks for sharing @m108

Hi Robo,

The VdlP in summary; I loved the walk, but the lack of facilities when you needed them most at the end of your day's walk was a little tiresome (yeah I know, a first world problem). So just be aware it isn't the Camino Frances.

Aidan

Thanks @Aidan21 .
I'm expecting it to be a bit of a challenge, but am looking forward to that.

Buen Camino!
Gerald

Many thanks @geraldkelly . Looking at it now!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did blog about all 4 stages from Granja to Astorga, but I admit that providing useful information is not something I focus on!

I have developed a peculiar fondness in my memories, probably because that route seems to be the underdog and gets lost in comparison of the two major routes . I especially like what @Flog wrote in another thread:

Yes, I read them @C clearly . Very useful, thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back