A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

VdlP via Sanabres or Continue along to the Frances

Marcus-UK

Old Git
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles (2016) Camino Portuguese (2017) Considering Invierno 2019
I am considering cycling the Via de la Plata in May next year. The options appear to be leaving the VdlP at Granja de Moreruela and following the Camino Sanabres into SDC or continuing up the VdlP and linking up with the Camino Frances.
Has anyone got any recommendations? I know this is a subjective matter but any recommendations/reasons would be appreciated.

I am not directing this question to the Cycling forum but direct to the VdlP forum.

Rosalinda

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Sarria to Santiago; 2017 Ourense to Santiago
I walked the Camino Sanabres and I thought it was very beautiful. After Cea you have two options. We went via the Monasterio de Oseria. On the first day leaving Ourense there is a very steep hill. We saw several group of bike riders. There are not as many people walking the Sanbres.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
When I walked VdlP in 2011 I walked to Astorga and continued on Camino Frances. I did so because that year in May there were a lot of pilgrims, and the albergues were full most nights. I enjoyed the walk from Astorga after 4 weeks on VdlP.
The route from Granja to Astorga was a lot of road, so easy for cyclists. I recommend that route and to continue from Ponferrada on Camino de Invierno to A Laxe where you will meet up with the Sanabree again.

Marcus-UK

Old Git
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles (2016) Camino Portuguese (2017) Considering Invierno 2019
When I walked VdlP in 2011 I walked to Astorga and continued on Camino Frances. I did so because that year in May there were a lot of pilgrims, and the albergues were full most nights. I enjoyed the walk from Astorga after 4 weeks on VdlP.
The route from Granja to Astorga was a lot of road, so easy for cyclists. I recommend that route and to continue from Ponferrada on Camino de Invierno to A Laxe where you will meet up with the Sanabree again.
I was originally planning to walk the Invierno this Autumn, but my plans have had to change and can no longer do this. Your suggestion appeals to me and would make an interesting Camino in actual fact four caminos:-}

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
There is a 'dodgy' bridge a day or so after Granja towards Astorga (a lot of the floor missing with a very narrow strip on the side to walk on - very high over a river) that I don't think you could easily get a bike across. While there is no nearby way to bypass this I am sure you could take a road route past it. Just be aware of it before you get there.

I walked both, I walked to Astorga then took the bus back to Granja and walked the Sanabres. I much preferred the Sanabres to be honest.

Davey

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés, '14 '17 Finisterre, '14 '17 '18 Primitivo, '15 '18 Portuguese, '17, '18 San Salvador, '18
I am considering the Sanabres for the fall of this year. I have heard from many a pilgrim that it is beautiful. Did anyone take the variation to Verin? Any photos, or recommendations?

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
The Sanabres is special and yiu avoid the Frances - don’t miss it!
I agree...anything that avoids the frances is to be recommended

Martyduc

Hunter Valley,Australia
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 15,Portuguese 16,Finisterre Muxia 16,Ingles16,, Almeria to Muxia,Finesterre 18,,Via Serrana
Whatever you choose ,,, you can always come back at some future time and walk the route you didnt choose !!! last year i turned left onto the Sanabres,,, this year (leaving here in Australia this Friday ) as part of a mixed Camino ,will walk north from Granja to Astorga ,, (then Salvador ,Primitivo ,,starting way back on the Via Serrana)

Martyduc

Hunter Valley,Australia
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 15,Portuguese 16,Finisterre Muxia 16,Ingles16,, Almeria to Muxia,Finesterre 18,,Via Serrana
I am considering the Sanabres for the fall of this year. I have heard from many a pilgrim that it is beautiful. Did anyone take the variation to Verin? Any photos, or recommendations?
hi,, the Sanabres was fantastic ,,,,meet some that had walked from Verin but no feedback ,,,, highlight was the "me gusta comer" in Rionegro del Puente ,,, special restaurant directly across from the Albergue ,,,best food and vibe !! so good !!! Puebla la Sanabria and Ourense (hot baths and cathedral ) and all experienced Peregrinos too!! loved it

Camino(s) past & future
Ruta de la Plata (cycling)
My wife and I cycled Seville to SdeC via the VdlP and the Sanabres. Fantastic cycling. We chose the Sanabres because of the crowds on the Frances as there is constant cyclist vs walker friction on the busy stretches. The Sanabres was perfect. V quiet till the last day into SdeC.

Walli Walker

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances '2009', Camino Portuguese from Porto '2015', Camino Ingles from Ferrol '2015', Finisterre and Muxia '2015'. Tentatively planning Camino from Granada '2017'.
The Sanabres would be my pick, loved it.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%