• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP via Sanabres or Continue along to the Frances

Marcus-UK

Old Git
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017
I am considering cycling the Via de la Plata in May next year. The options appear to be leaving the VdlP at Granja de Moreruela and following the Camino Sanabres into SDC or continuing up the VdlP and linking up with the Camino Frances.
Has anyone got any recommendations? I know this is a subjective matter but any recommendations/reasons would be appreciated.

I am not directing this question to the Cycling forum but direct to the VdlP forum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino Sanabres and I thought it was very beautiful. After Cea you have two options. We went via the Monasterio de Oseria. On the first day leaving Ourense there is a very steep hill. We saw several group of bike riders. There are not as many people walking the Sanbres.

When I walked VdlP in 2011 I walked to Astorga and continued on Camino Frances. I did so because that year in May there were a lot of pilgrims, and the albergues were full most nights. I enjoyed the walk from Astorga after 4 weeks on VdlP.
The route from Granja to Astorga was a lot of road, so easy for cyclists. I recommend that route and to continue from Ponferrada on Camino de Invierno to A Laxe where you will meet up with the Sanabree again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I walked VdlP in 2011 I walked to Astorga and continued on Camino Frances. I did so because that year in May there were a lot of pilgrims, and the albergues were full most nights. I enjoyed the walk from Astorga after 4 weeks on VdlP.
The route from Granja to Astorga was a lot of road, so easy for cyclists. I recommend that route and to continue from Ponferrada on Camino de Invierno to A Laxe where you will meet up with the Sanabree again.
I was originally planning to walk the Invierno this Autumn, but my plans have had to change and can no longer do this. Your suggestion appeals to me and would make an interesting Camino in actual fact four caminos:-}

There is a 'dodgy' bridge a day or so after Granja towards Astorga (a lot of the floor missing with a very narrow strip on the side to walk on - very high over a river) that I don't think you could easily get a bike across. While there is no nearby way to bypass this I am sure you could take a road route past it. Just be aware of it before you get there.

I walked both, I walked to Astorga then took the bus back to Granja and walked the Sanabres. I much preferred the Sanabres to be honest.

Davey

I am considering the Sanabres for the fall of this year. I have heard from many a pilgrim that it is beautiful. Did anyone take the variation to Verin? Any photos, or recommendations?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whatever you choose ,,, you can always come back at some future time and walk the route you didnt choose !!! last year i turned left onto the Sanabres,,, this year (leaving here in Australia this Friday ) as part of a mixed Camino ,will walk north from Granja to Astorga ,, (then Salvador ,Primitivo ,,starting way back on the Via Serrana)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am considering the Sanabres for the fall of this year. I have heard from many a pilgrim that it is beautiful. Did anyone take the variation to Verin? Any photos, or recommendations?
hi,, the Sanabres was fantastic ,,,,meet some that had walked from Verin but no feedback ,,,, highlight was the "me gusta comer" in Rionegro del Puente ,,, special restaurant directly across from the Albergue ,,,best food and vibe !! so good !!! Puebla la Sanabria and Ourense (hot baths and cathedral ) and all experienced Peregrinos too!! loved it

My wife and I cycled Seville to SdeC via the VdlP and the Sanabres. Fantastic cycling. We chose the Sanabres because of the crowds on the Frances as there is constant cyclist vs walker friction on the busy stretches. The Sanabres was perfect. V quiet till the last day into SdeC.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I forgot to thank everyone for their advice. So my apologies are given and thanks.

My wife and I cycled Seville to SdeC via the VdlP and the Sanabres. Fantastic cycling. We chose the Sanabres because of the crowds on the Frances as there is constant cyclist vs walker friction on the busy stretches. The Sanabres was perfect. V quiet till the last day into SdeC.
My husband and I are planning to cycle the Via de la Plata in October this year. Wondering if you cycled on the camino or via the parallel road? We have road bikes. Also, we are thinking of cycling north to south as we have been to Santiago as an end stop 4 times. Since it will be later in the year, we thought that going north to south might be preferable. Comments? Suggestions? Thank you.

My husband and I are planning to cycle the Via de la Plata in October this year. Wondering if you cycled on the camino or via the parallel road? We have road bikes. Also, we are thinking of cycling north to south as we have been to Santiago as an end stop 4 times. Since it will be later in the year, we thought that going north to south might be preferable. Comments? Suggestions? Thank you.
The blog below talks about cycling the VdlP and lists his experience on and off track. From the text it would appear that the intention is to produce a cycling guide for Cicerone publications. However it has not yet gone into print.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The blog below talks about cycling the VdlP and lists his experience on and off track. From the text it would appear that the intention is to produce a cycling guide for Cicerone publications. However it has not yet gone into print.

Thank you. Yes, I saw this. Great blog! Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back