• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP - Walking 2021

Dodger

Lone Walker, Frances 2018-VdlP2022 Francigene2023
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2018
VDLPP2022
Francigen 2023
Anyone else thinking or planning for 2021, While I have planned stages, I have not decided on which month to start. Looking at April (late) or early May, or waiting til later in the year leaving in late Aug, I understand that the temps can get very high over June and July, especially in the middle sections. looking for comments on those who have walked the route over these time periods. This is all dependent on when I can leave my country, and how open Spain is towards pilgrims.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started in Sevilla the end of march, temperature went up to 32 C, already too hot for me. Normally the southern part of the VdlP is the hottest, I think

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's on my bucket list to finish. I have the first half, from Seville to Salamanca to complete. I am going to do it in Oct/Nov, if covid is tamed.

I did the route from Salamanca to SDC in 2019 and it was very hot in October, leven in that central meseta area of Castilla y León until you got to the higher elevations on the Sanabrés. There are long tree-less days in this section! The approx 500 km walk from Salamanca is sometimes called the "Camino Fonseca" after Don Alonso de Fonseca y Acevedo III, a 16th century Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela.

Don Alonso de Fonseca also established colleges in both Santiago and Salamanca. He was educated at the University of Salamanca and is buried in the city. He is very famous in Salamanca. You can see his statue in the central courtyard of the Fonseca College University Library, adjacent to the Cathedral in Santiago!

Who knew?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@linkster you can view my half of the trip at Via de la Plata.
I am worried about the heat even in October. I plan to leave about October 10. Personally I would take a cold winter day any day over a hot day like some of the 90 or so degree days I spent in October on the Meseta. Look forward to reading about your VDLP. I too hope to leave October 2021. Looking very forward to getting the vaccine. That will be step one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Francés twice from mid-August until late September. It does get hot, very hot, even for a heat-lover like me and across the Meseta there is not much shadow to be found.

I've long carried a dream of following Spring north from Cadiz or La Linea along the VdlP. And yes I know thats not all VdlP but a thousand other Caminos :) bear with me. I've figured that the first signs of Spring erupt along the coast in early March, even when its still dead winter in the Sierra de Grazalema (I've been there). Like @lt56ny I rather cope with cold than heat. So, to follow the Almond and Cherry blossom, the poppies, the Apple, the Squib and the Broom do I start in March or wait for April?

I walked the VdlP beginning in Sevilla on October 3. From there to Salamanca (half way) the temperatures were in the mid 30's, rather too warm for an Alberta girl. After that, it cooled off and was quite comfortable until I arrived in Santiago on Nov. 21. I am thinking that this fall, if all goes well, I may leave Valencia in mid-September, walking north-west to Zamora, then north to Santiago, arrriving again at around Nov. 21. Hopefully, as the Levante is rather more northerly than the VdlP, I shall be able to walk most of the route in reasonable comfort. But of course that is just a wish. My last autumn walk was too dry and dusty to breathe for the first part (the Madrid) and wet enough to swim in for the last part (Ponferrada to Santiago on the Invierno.)

We walked the Mozarabe from Malaga, met the Via de la Plata in Merida and then on to the Sanabres to Sdc in June and July of 2017. It was indeed very hot, 40 odd degrees most days. Probably not the best time to walk,, but that was the only time we could get away from NZ. Having said that we loved every minute of it, and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Have fun planning

Attachments

• IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 7
I am worried about the heat even in October. I plan to leave about October 10. Personally I would take a cold winter day any day over a hot day like some of the 90 or so degree days I spent in October on the Meseta. Look forward to reading about your VDLP. I too hope to leave October 2021. Looking very forward to getting the vaccine. That will be step one.
my preference is to walk in spring (April/May), I walked the Meseta in April2018 and it was hot than. I agree the vaccine is step one, after we get permission to leave the country to travel to Spain. Thank You

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've long carried a dream of following Spring north from Cadiz or La Linea along the VdlP. And yes I know thats not all VdlP but a thousand other Caminos :) bear with me. I've figured that the first signs of Spring erupt along the coast in early March, even when its still dead winter in the Sierra de Grazalema (I've been there). Like @lt56ny I rather cope with cold than heat. So, to follow the Almond and Cherry blossom, the poppies, the Apple, the Squib and the Broom do I start in March or wait for April?
I am looking more to April and May, I would like to be somewhere around Tabara or even Ourense mid to late May. Walking 24km a day as an average should take 37 days to hit 888km with 2 days rest days.

I can't imagine that things will be settled enough for me to consider a Spring Camino next year. I'm hoping to walk the Norte/Primitivo in September, and the VdlP in Spring 2022.
Hopefully I will be full of fresh VDLP info when you prepare for Sevilla.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Big fan of cold(ish) winter days to walk as opposed to heat and humidity. Summer is O U T. As I have only ever walked from April (snow in Roncesvalles) into May (rain in Galicia) on three separate Caminos, I hope my best laid plans -- oh, surely, nothing "else" can happen, right :)? -- remain congruent for my favorite time of year, September-October 2021. Walking in mid-Missouri does not prepare anyone for much more than flat, flat and slightly less flat. I was hoping to start in Irun but ...hmmm, dunno. CF, again? At 76 years, I shall happily step off my flight and kiss the tarmac (figuratively speaking) at Barajas!

A late September start can be one way to go. If I start in Sevilla around October 10 I will keep my fingers crossed that it will ge a mild October: if not 6:00 am starts the first week or so. Glad I have a good headlamp. I will probably fly through Lisbon to Sevilla so I may do some kissing in Portugal!!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyone else thinking or planning for 2021, While I have planned stages, I have not decided on which month to start. Looking at April (late) or early May, or waiting til later in the year leaving in late Aug, I understand that the temps can get very high over June and July, especially in the middle sections. looking for comments on those who have walked the route over these time periods. This is all dependent on when I can leave my country, and how open Spain is towards pilgrims.
Hello Dodger, yes, I have done the VdlP and it is magnificent. Of course June and July are hot, but don't underestimate May and August also. I have done some of that in May in very hot conditions. I do think, however, that May and even August might be too early from a Covid perspective. It is going to take many months for the vaccines to roll out and there are sparse enough facilities on the VdlP at the best of times. You could be in a village where there is one place to sleep, one place to eat and one place to shop. Any disruption to any of these facilities could present challenges for you. I am planning the Levante for October 2021 and some mornings I wake up and tell myself "that's optimistic!"
The VdlP is a fantastic experience though and something to really look forward to.

I am planning the Levante for October 2021
I am also planning the Levante in the fall of 2021. I expect to begin in September and take it easy, hoping that it will be cooler than when I began the VdlP on Oct. 3, 2017. But my plans cannot be definite at present, as I cannot be confident of getting vaccinated for the virus before September and I won't be buying an air ticket until I have been. October is maybe a more reasonable estimate. It is really impossible to make confident plans at present.

I am also planning the Levante in the fall of 2021. I expect to begin in September and take it easy, hoping that it will be cooler than when I began the VdlP on Oct. 3, 2017. But my plans cannot be definite at present, as I cannot be confident of getting vaccinated for the virus before September and I won't be buying an air ticket until I have been. October is maybe a more reasonable estimate. It is really impossible to make confident plans at present.
I did a stetch in October 2019 and it was perfect. Lovely sunny weather, but not too hot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did a stetch in October 2019 and it was perfect. Lovely sunny weather, but not too hot.
I am trying to schedule my pilgrimage according to my usual walking pace. That may be difficult to keep to, as this will be my first long walk since knee replacement a couple of months ago. I worked my way through the Levante Virtual Camino on this forum a couple of months ago, finding that I am likely to arrive in Zamora on approximately the same date as I went through there on the VdlP, so on to Santiago around the third week of November. I would prefer not to be walking in winter, so a start in early September seems wise. And I am looking forward to making up for last year's lack of pilgrimage by walking for a long time, coming about a week short of my three months Schengen time allowance.

Hello Dodger, yes, I have done the VdlP and it is magnificent. Of course June and July are hot, but don't underestimate May and August also. I have done some of that in May in very hot conditions. I do think, however, that May and even August might be too early from a Covid perspective. It is going to take many months for the vaccines to roll out and there are sparse enough facilities on the VdlP at the best of times. You could be in a village where there is one place to sleep, one place to eat and one place to shop. Any disruption to any of these facilities could present challenges for you. I am planning the Levante for October 2021 and some mornings I wake up and tell myself "that's optimistic!"
The VdlP is a fantastic experience though and something to really look forward to.
I agree, but without a plan, it is only a dream. A pilgrim only just recently completed the route in Nov, I do hope that the covid situation has improved for all by April. We here in Australia do not have permission to leave the country, but one can live in hope, Stay Safe and Buen Camino Levante.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Big fan of cold(ish) winter days to walk as opposed to heat and humidity. Summer is O U T. As I have only ever walked from April (snow in Roncesvalles) into May (rain in Galicia) on three separate Caminos, I hope my best laid plans -- oh, surely, nothing "else" can happen, right :)? -- remain congruent for my favorite time of year, September-October 2021. Walking in mid-Missouri does not prepare anyone for much more than flat, flat and slightly less flat. I was hoping to start in Irun but ...hmmm, dunno. CF, again? At 76 years, I shall happily step off my flight and kiss the tarmac (figuratively speaking) at Barajas!
Hi, Cath, I too started my Camino Frances in April (9th) snow and rain was the order of the day for the first week in 2018. But, as I walked the temp did improve. I hope the same will be true for the VdlP, if I start in April, and by time I get to Tabara and Verin the temp should stabilise. Age has no barrier to the a Camino I walk with a lovely lady from America in 2018 for a short time who was 82. Been Camino for your next adventure. Stay Safe

I walked out of Seville on 26 April and loved the weather - almost always cold in the mornings (take gloves) with low temperatures during the day, but fine until I reached the Sanabrés (which I took) when it rained nearly continuously.

I'd do it again starting in April, perhaps a bit earlier as I think the year I walked was cooler than normal.

Ok, yes it's hot. Walked it twice, starting in September, still hot, but ok if you pace yourself and take enough water. It's not the Frances, you can't just pull up at the next village if you have had enough. Often the villages are 30kms apart, so you need to plan and take care of yourself.

Still may favourite and the only route I've rewalked.

I envy those that walk it in spring, as this appears to be the best time. But I wouldn't have missed those lonely Roman roads for fear of a little heat, it's a different Camino, and the pilgrims that take to this road are more then a little loco, but that's how we roll.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked out of Seville on 26 April and loved the weather - almost always cold in the mornings (take gloves) with low temperatures during the day, but fine until I reached the Sanabrés (which I took) when it rained nearly continuously.

I'd do it again starting in April, perhaps a bit earlier as I think the year I walked was cooler than normal.
Thanks Kanga, From my research I believe the weather starting mid to late April should be cold morning, warming up as the day progresses. This is my preferred starting period, however all will depend on C19 and if I am allowed to leave my country as our boarders are closed to leave at present.

Thanks Kanga, From my research I believe the weather starting mid to late April should be cold morning, warming up as the day progresses. This is my preferred starting period, however all will depend on C19 and if I am allowed to leave my country as our boarders are closed to leave at present.
I too dream of starting the VdlP in mid April, being unable to travel in 2020 due to the restrictions on leaving Australia and of course Covid.
Realistically I think I may be waiting until October.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I too dream of starting the VdlP in mid April, being unable to travel in 2020 due to the restrictions on leaving Australia and of course Covid.
I have walked it twice in mid April and would love to repeat it this year but considering we are not being given our vaccination until March, not much hope. Personally can't walk when its too hot.

@Romany welcome to the forum. I'm a bit confused about what you mean. The Via de la Plata is not a trip you can book through a tour company, if that is what you mean (or at least I'm unaware of one for the Via). It is a long, independent, walk. You can book accommodation once you have planned your route and when and where you intend to stop, and each accommodation provider will have its own set of rules and protocols, as well as those mandated by the local authorities.

If you mean do you need a vaccination before booking a flight to Spain, I think that has not yet been decided although in today's news it was suggested that it might be a requirement before entering Spain.

At the moment it is all speculation because basically no-one can walk from one region to another.

I am betting that Spain will not be getting back to any where near normal until late summer or early Autumn in 2021. I had planned, prepped and booked to do the VdlP in 2020 starting in March 2020. The difficulty I have had getting refunds from Iberia are too awful to contemplate in 2021. I have decided to move my planned VdlP to 2022.
I will be using a wait and see approach in 2021 and if things improve I may attempt one of the shorter two week Camino routes like the Invierno September on wards.

I had flights and accommodation booked for Seville mid March 2020, impeccable timing as Spain declared a state of emergency! Not sure when it will be possible to try again, hoping maybe Autumn 2021 or Spring 2022? In the meantime I have been walking locally in Herefordshire visiting many peaceful country churches and now I wonder if I need or if it is right to fly anywhere to commence a pilgrimage. In true spirit I should walk out from and back to home and hearth. Whether I can square this with family and body is another matter. In the meantime I am enjoying bonding with the kit I bought for Camino and jettisoning anything superfluous or frivolous. The time may or may not come. Happy trails.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had hoped and planned for Vdlp March 2021. However that is looking impossible as we get closer. Now I will most likely plan and hope for mid/late October into most of November 2021. Hope is all I have! It will be my first Camino and really would like to begin it at some point.
2022 seems so far away - I prefer to hope for the best of fall 2021. If things don’t settle enough though that will just have to do. March is preferable weather in my mind although who could say what will be best. I do enjoy thinking of and planning the trip and packing list in the meantime. And walking for training...

Do you definitely need vaccination before being allowed to book?
Nothing is definite but can't see us being allowed to leave Australia without one.
I'm not keen on walking the Vdlp up to Salamanca in autumn although the Sanabres was great then.
May have to leave it until April 2022. However I may try the Invierno and another, this late September if possible.🙏

Was meant to start the via de la plata April2020 Seville to Salamanca then return 2021 to finish off.
Like everyone hoping for early return ,pricing flights April 2021 probably bit optimistic more likely Sept/Oct vaccine and God willing .
Only thing keeping me going reading the forum and watching you tube videos
like most things you dont realise its true value until its gone .
heres hoping for 2021.
stay safe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Dodger
I'm looking at spring as well but planning on September. Its impossible to make definite plans at the moment especially if your traveling from the US.
Maybe we'll meet on the Plata!!

Walked the VDLP from Seville starting Easter week in the midst of orange blossoms in full bloom. It was neither cold nor hot. It was lovely. Followed spring all the way up north, with wild flowers in abundance. The only thing to watch out for: Easter Sunday everything closes except gas (petrol) stations. You need to have food with you Easter Sunday or you will not eat anything other than what you can find in a gas station store.

My friend walked in September. She said it was very very hot.

I am looking more to April and May, I would like to be somewhere around Tabara or even Ourense mid to late May. Walking 24km a day as an average should take 37 days to hit 888km with 2 days rest days.
I did this camino from Sevilla in 2019 starting mid April and completed by May 22 with 2 rest days . Weather was perfect , although we had a couple of storms with heavy rain and cold wind in early May so expect the unexpected .

€83,-

We started in Seville late Sepember and it was pretty warm early and through Extremadura. But not too hot for an Aussie

I agree with most of the advice given by other people.

April / May is the ideal time to start from Seville but it's too early to know if it'll be possible this year.

I think late August could still be too hot in the south (by which I mean Andalucia and Extremadura). Average high for Seville in August is 35.5C and for September 31.7C. Full chart here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seville#Climate

Unfortunately if you hold off until late September you'll be arriving into Galicia towards the end of October so the probability of "the shittiest weather in the world" is quite high. But that's part of the fun!

Gerald

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm hoping to go this year, maybe September?? I had originally planned for June 2020 starting in Salamanca.

I think you could be right, we are restricted in Australia as we can not leave(yet), October does sound more realistic, but I am still planning on Mid April and if at all possible will start. if not will amend dates to end of Aug, may see you on the road. Stay Safe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey Dodger
I'm looking at spring as well but planning on September. Its impossible to make definite plans at the moment especially if your traveling from the US.
Maybe we'll meet on the Plata!!
Hi Eric, I have a rough plan for stages etc, I am in Australia so we can not leave the country, we are due to get the Vax in March. My plan is still for April/May start. I only need to book the flights which I will do at the last minute, the rest of the trip I will just take it as it comes. Camino will provide.

I agree with most of the advice given by other people.

April / May is the ideal time to start from Seville but it's too early to know if it'll be possible this year.

I think late August could still be too hot in the south (by which I mean Andalucia and Extremadura). Average high for Seville in August is 35.5C and for September 31.7C. Full chart here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seville#Climate

Unfortunately if you hold off until late September you'll be arriving into Galicia towards the end of October so the probability of "the shittiest weather in the world" is quite high. But that's part of the fun!

Gerald
Gerald, I agree, the later you walk, you just know the weather in Galicia will be wet wet and more wet.

Hi Eric, I have a rough plan for stages etc, I am in Australia so we can not leave the country, we are due to get the Vax in March. My plan is still for April/May start. I only need to book the flights which I will do at the last minute, the rest of the trip I will just take it as it comes. Camino will provide.
Just curious: does the AUS travel ban no longer apply once you are vaccinated? Or do you have reason to apply for an exemption? Or do you expect the travel ban to be lifted before April/May (currently in force until March 17)?

€83,-
@jungleboy we have no idea. No vaccinations have been approved for Australia yet. Although the government has put in large orders.

I heard that Qantas is starting to take bookings for July onwards and I had an email from Qatar saying I could book from June to Edinburgh. Of course its up to the governments whether we can go or arrive anywhere. In today's West Australian there is an article saying the vaccine may come earlier than March.
Clutching at straws here...

Just curious: does the AUS travel ban no longer apply once you are vaccinated? Or do you have reason to apply for an exemption? Or do you expect the travel ban to be lifted before April/May (currently in force until March 17)?
No one knows, it’s a blanket ban from Government 😂 I think the ban will be lifted by April, I will get the Covid Vax March, fingers x all will go to plan and I will start mid - late April 😎

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Re Australia, I understood that health workers etc will get the vax in March.
The rest of us might be waiting till September.
Could be wrong of course :rolleyes:

But given International flights (Qantas news today) are really not taking any bookings till July........maybe you are being a bit optimistic?

Re Australia, I understood that health workers etc will get the vax in March.
The rest of us might be waiting till September.
Could be wrong of course :rolleyes:

But given International flights (Qantas news today) are really not taking any bookings till July........maybe you are being a bit optimistic?
Optimistic yes always, as for flights that’s not a problem, the problem is Australians need permission to leave. As for Covid vax who knows 😱😂🙏

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back