• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP Winter - any advice

litsl

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la plata (January 2013) / previously hiked much of the PCT (2007 - 1600 miles)
Hi

I was planning on doing some of the UK's South West Coastal Path this winter but given the flooding I think the VDLP looks better. I have a few questions that I'd really appreciate advice on. I hiked 1600 miles of the PCT in the summer of 2007 so I have an idea of what a long trip is like, I'm just not sure what this one will be like in winter!

1. Which is the best guidebook? (several seem to be out of print)

2. Will I need to bring a tent or am I going to manage without?

3. Is it easy to find water or do you need to carry a lot? If there is water along the way, do you need to treat it? (am considering a steripen UV thing)

4. I always hike in Montrail Hardrock shoes (like tough low cut trainers). I'm thinking they might not be a wise choice for a winter trek on VDLP so was wondering about upgrading a bit to mid cut merrells.

5. It's tricky to estimate distance until getting started but I am thinking about 25 miles a day should be do-able. Does that seem crazy?

6. Is it easy to re-supply or do you need to carry a lot of food? (I'm guessing resupply is generally quite easy, even for a vegetarian)

Thanks in advance! Anyone else heading out from Seville in late December?

Litsl

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome litsl,

I'm totally biased, but I think you're doing exactly the right thing doing the VdlP in winter. I'm a couple of days shy of the half way point near Fuenterroble, so sadly we won't meet, but my answers to your questions are (but bear in mind that other people will have different answers):

1. Alison Raju worked for me last time, but I'm using the Lepere (French) one this, as it has (out-of-date, as they don't include the A66) maps - it's not brilliant. It would be good if there was an up-to-date and accurate guide - and perhaps there is: check the rest of this forum. But the arrows are the best map.

2. I've not used a tent (or indeed a sleeping bag, just a liner).

3. There is a fountain in every village, and many mountain streams in between as well. There are sections where water is scarce, but in winter temperatures you don't need that much - I was getting through up to 8 litres a day in Andalucia when it was in the high 80s, but 2-4 seems fine in the cool of Extremadura. I've never worried about treating it (mostly, the village fountains are delicious spring water, although for some reason Galisteo was horribly chlorinated). Some of the fountains in Galicia say they are not drinkable but I ignored that and suffered no consequences.

4. Not sure, my merrells come just up to my ankles and are fine. There is mud about (and will probably be more when you get here) so perhaps something above the ankles would be better - but you're just as likely to go in up to your calves as to your ankles, so it may not make much difference).

5. 25 miles a day is fine - I've been doing a bit less this time, and taking deliberate days off, as when I first did it I went by so fast I missed out on seeing some of the most beautiful and wonderful places in the world - Zafra, Mérida, Cáceres, Galisteo, Salamanca, Zamora, and many of the "one horse towns" in between have something worth seeing. My advice is don't rush, but everybody finds their own pace.

6. There's a bar with food in virtually every village, and a mini-mercado in most. You need to plan, as there can be a 20 mile gap to the next village, and some places close on Sundays (but usually not the bars), but if you have some emergency rations in your pack you won't go far wrong (I carry a pound of raisins and a chunck of cheese for nibbling when there's nowhere for lunch or just in case - not a balanced diet, but it'll keep your blood sugar up).

Do hope you enjoy it and keep us posted.

Buen camino.

Hi

Planning to start out from Seville Dec / Jan.

If someone can help out with these Qs I would be grateful

- any idea what the typical weather in Jan / Feb is like (if there's such a thing) - this would help in getting some clarity on what type of gear to bring

- I'm aware distances are greater AND alberguers / accommodation / bars fewer than Camino Francés - BUT what's the position this time of year - is it likely that some will be closed at this time - I guess planning will be moe important on this Camino

Message for Listl - I plan to start walking from Seville Dec /Jan, it would be great to have some company starting out, find one's bearing. What dates are you working towards starting out from Seville?

declannnnn

-

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alan - thanks very much for the encouragement and fresh advice. It you are managing without even a sleeping bag it must mean everything stays open! Thanks very much, I shall check out the guide book.

Hi Declann. I'm vaguely planning to get to Seville around 29th December but I havent checked train times yet. What are your plans?

Cheers

Litsl

litsl said:
Alan - thanks very much for the encouragement and fresh advice. It you are managing without even a sleeping bag it must mean everything stays open! Thanks very much, I shall check out the guide book. Litsl

lovingkindness said:
Dear litsl, Winter along the VdlP is severe. You may encounter trecherous conditions. You might consider reading Sillydoll's blog on walking caminos in winter and also the comments of others here:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic13683.html

Buen Camino.

Hola

On the face of it this might look like conflicting advice. Alan is walking without a sleeping bag in December on the Via de la Plata and Lovingkindness says the weather on this route in winter is treacherous!

The route is long and "winter" changes as the months go on therefore in my opinion both are correct! I walked this route leaving Seville on 2 January a few years ago. There is no doubt that the weather in the South is much milder and for the first week or so I walked in bright sunshine in shorts wearing sunscreen. But a week or two in and I encountered freezing fog in the early mornings which settled on everything turning it (and me!) white. A waterproof outer layer, layering and a good sleeping bag in the ice cold albergues at night were the answer. After three weeks or so the wind was cutting at times in Extremadura although there were some days the sunscreen came back out again. Then of course there are the mountains to cross where naturally it is colder then towards the end the elevations where by February/March there may very well be snow. Just watch the weather forecasts a few days ahead and plan accordingly.

The Via de la Plata remains dear to my heart - I'd walk it again in a heartbeat in summer or winter.

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Saturday near Madrid:

Attachments

• lunararcs_caxete_960.jpg
    lunararcs_caxete_960.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,397
Thanks John and lovingkindness for those invaluable insights!

Listl - How does this work with your plans?

Litsl - I'm thinking I'll arrive in Seville either 29th or 30th Dec, start walking 1st Jan - New Year's Day. I plan to fly into Seville directly (if I can? from Ireland at this time of year) OR fly directly into Barcelona, Malaga, Alicante, Madrid... and then get a train to Seville, another option would be to fly out of Ireland to London and connect with a direct flight to Seville. Either way, when I arrive in Seville I plan to stay in Hotel Simon. HS is a popular and friendly place to stay, well used to caminantes and those starting out on Via de la Plata. Situated close to the cathedral and the starting point of via de la plata.

Cheers,
declannnnn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Litsl.

If you're looking for an up-to-date guide, I've written one for iPhones and Droids (app). I walked the trail from Nov. 2010 through Nov. 2011 (via three trips), then just went back this fall and walked from Seville to Fuenterroble, so the info for the first half of the VDLP will absolutely be up-to-date. But the beauty of app guides is that people can add comments/corrections as they're using them, so theoretically they won't become dated. Lots of users have made comments throughout the guide about sections newly closed, detoured or whatever. If you want to check it out, you can look here:

SutroMedia.com/apps/Via_de_la_Plata (Apple devices)
SutroMedia.com/android/Via_de_la_Plata (Droids)

The latest I've walked is mid-November, and the earliest the first of March, so I can't comment too much on winter conditions. But 25 miles/day is doable (I usually average about 20), and I'd recommend packing some dried fruit or energy beans/gels/snacks. The latter is easiest to bring from home, or buy in bulk in the largest cities. FWIW, I also really, really love my knee-high compression socks and arm sleeves. Even though they're targeted for runners/athletes, they're perfect for long-distance hiking. They help keep your muscles warm and knot-free, and of course they're very warm, yet lightweight.

Have fun!
Melanie

25 miles per day = 40 kms per day.
I don't know of anybody, summer or winter, who has a daily average this high.
Although many pilgrims in summer have an occasional 40 km day.

Let go of such goals, and just walk each day as it comes.
Enjoy the Camino.

David, Victoria, Canada

Just a note: regarding average kilometers per day, each person has his or her own comfortable speed and distance. In 2001, without even trying, I finished the Camino Frances in 20 days for an average of 40 kms/day. Some days I walked 60 ms, others only 20. My longest day was from Palas de Rei to Monte de Gozo, about 63 kilometers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back