• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vdlp

karen stowell

Time of past OR future Camino
walked first three days of santiago. hope to finish next year. but wanting to walk and ride.
flying from australia next april to do the vdlp. What is the best way to send my bigger bag to santiago as i will be continuing travelling. Also is there anything i should be aware of starting in early April.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To send luggage ahead to Santiago, your best option may be Casa Ivar:

Early April will coincide with Holy Week (5/Apr - 12/Apr 2020). That may put pressure on accommodations in places since there may be a surge in pilgrim numbers. There will also be more tourists in major cities for the Holy Week celebrations.

Are you starting in Seville? You might need to book accommodation well in advance for Seville or Caceres during Holy Week, because there are no dedicated pilgrim hostels and there will be a flood of tourists for Holy Week. (The hostels in Seville and Caceres are backpacker / youth hostels). In Merida and Zamora there are albergues exclusively for pilgrims.

On public holidays like Good Friday and regional / local fiestas, you may also find that the stores are closed. If in doubt, ask locals what to expect.

Climate-wise, I think it's one of the best times to walk - the landscapes are green and you won't face the searing heat of the summer. But of course, the weather is unpredictable. In 2019 there was a week of heavy rain in the south of Spain - an exceptional weather event. Even if you don't expect that, you should be prepared.

I just walked from Seville this year in late April. It was wonderful (although sparsely populated as is the VDLP). If you have the time, get into Seville during Holy Week and spend a few days (three perhaps). There is a lot to see and the processions by the confraternities are worth the extra cost of a room during that week. I did find it crowded but never had a problem getting a table at dinner without a reservation. I was expecting more business closures but again didn't have any problems. You might want to make sure, however, that your hotel is not on one of the main procession routes. They go on most of the night and the drums and bugles are bit noisy :) :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To send luggage ahead to Santiago, your best option may be Casa Ivar:

Early April will coincide with Holy Week (5/Apr - 12/Apr 2020). That may put pressure on accommodations in places since there may be a surge in pilgrim numbers. There will also be more tourists in major cities for the Holy Week celebrations.

Are you starting in Seville? You might need to book accommodation well in advance for Seville or Caceres during Holy Week, because there are no dedicated pilgrim hostels and there will be a flood of tourists for Holy Week. (The hostels in Seville and Caceres are backpacker / youth hostels). In Merida and Zamora there are albergues exclusively for pilgrims.

On public holidays like Good Friday and regional / local fiestas, you may also find that the stores are closed. If in doubt, ask locals what to expect.

Climate-wise, I think it's one of the best times to walk - the landscapes are green and you won't face the searing heat of the summer. But of course, the weather is unpredictable. In 2019 there was a week of heavy rain in the south of Spain - an exceptional weather event. Even if you don't expect that, you should be prepared.
Thank you so much for all of this info. It has given me a lot to think about.
Karen

flying from australia next april to do the vdlp. What is the best way to send my bigger bag to santiago as i will be continuing travelling. Also is there anything i should be aware of starting in early April.
Depending upon your need to access your luggage during your camino. You could use the Correos service to forward and store luggage at a convenient post office along the route. Once you have accessed your luggage you can send it on to the next location. Alternatively using the same service you could send your luggage direct to SdC to the post office round the corner from the Cathedral. I used this system on the Camino Portuguese.

Look at what they have got to offer:

Depending upon your need to access your luggage during your camino. You could use the Correos service to forward and store luggage at a convenient post office along the route. Once you have accessed your luggage you can send it on to the next location. Alternatively using the same service you could send your luggage direct to SdC to the post office round the corner from the Cathedral. I used this system on the Camino Portuguese.

Look at what they have got to offer:

thanks. we will be sending it straight to santiago

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could use the Correos service to forward and store luggage at a convenient post office along the route. Once you have accessed your luggage you can send it on to the next location.
I have used a bounce box several times on the Camino Francés. I put the items I would want to resupply with in a box, and send it down the Camino to a town where I might take a zero or nero day. When I get to my destination, I bring anything I want to bounce forward to the Correos. I retrieve my box, make my deposits and withdrawals, and then bounce it to the next location. It was about 25€ to bounce and store (Burgos, León, SdC).

So what was in my box ... first and foremost an extra pair of trail runners along with other incidentals. I tried buying shoes once for my wide feet without success (blisters) ... never again. I usually only get about 350 ~ 400 miles out of my trail runners before they start to wear out. Not necessarily the tread, but the infrastructure (cushioning etc). It is an added cost, but your feet will thank you.

Thinking about the VldP next year, and will definitely be bouncing a box.
¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D:cool:

Hi Karen, I walked the VdlP this year starting from Seville on the 11th April. To add to previous advice, check where you will be during Holy Week and especially from Good Friday to the Monday. The only issue I found was on Good Friday and arriving in Merida. There is only one municipal albergue with 16 or 18 beds. I arrived there at 10am, having left Torremejia about 6am and bagged the 5th bed. Most were gone by 11am. Later arrivals walked on to the next village because there was very little or no private beds to be found at affordable prices. They had been booked up in advance. On a brighter note, it was the only example of a bed rush I came across and one could say it was down to unusual circumstances.

On a personal note I would say that a stop in Merida is a must. I'm a Roman ruins junky and this place is on steroids. Unfortunately the evening processions were cancelled due to thunder and lightening. The local police deemed it to dangerous. A shame but such is life.
It is a fantastic walk. Enjoy.

Hi Karen, I walked the VdlP this year starting from Seville on the 11th April. To add to previous advice, check where you will be during Holy Week and especially from Good Friday to the Monday. The only issue I found was on Good Friday and arriving in Merida. There is only one municipal albergue with 16 or 18 beds. I arrived there at 10am, having left Torremejia about 6am and bagged the 5th bed. Most were gone by 11am. Later arrivals walked on to the next village because there was very little or no private beds to be found at affordable prices. They had been booked up in advance. On a brighter note, it was the only example of a bed rush I came across and one could say it was down to unusual circumstances.

On a personal note I would say that a stop in Merida is a must. I'm a Roman ruins junky and this place is on steroids. Unfortunately the evening processions were cancelled due to thunder and lightening. The local police deemed it to dangerous. A shame but such is life.
It is a fantastic walk. Enjoy.
Hey Chris, what resource did you use for albergues for this year?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Chris, what resource did you use for albergues for this year?
Hi Karen, I primarily used the Gerald Kelly 2018 edition which I found more than adequate. I would also visit a site Godelsalco.com which I found useful for planning and has a comprehensive list of accommodation ie albergues, hostels, hotels etc. I printed a list off as insurance but hardly ever needed to use it so cannot confirm the veracity of it. I usually set off on a camino with a plan and after 3 days find myself going with the flow depending on how I feel, who I meet etc. I'm not much into IT on my walks, however others are and one can glean interesting info from other walkers re future accommodation.

A couple of tips for what its worth. I would book the albergue at Embalse de Alcantara if walking from Caceres ie 34km as the next stop Canaveral is a further 11km, a long walk if the weather is inclement.
The municipal alberque at Fuente de Cantos is / was closed and by the time I arrived all the private accommodation had been booked, much of it pre booked!! However the Hostal los Rodriguez at Calzadilla de los Baros is only 6km further on and is cheap and cheerful.
Finally, if your penultimate night prior to Santiago is Punta Ullo, I would recommend the Hostel Rios just over the bridge on the right as you walk into the village. Good value, private rooms and the lady who runs it is a real sweetie and very helpful.
Hope this helps and you enjoy your Camino. I'm envious already.
Chris

Hi Karen, I primarily used the Gerald Kelly 2018 edition which I found more than adequate. I would also visit a site Godelsalco.com which I found useful for planning and has a comprehensive list of accommodation ie albergues, hostels, hotels etc. I printed a list off as insurance but hardly ever needed to use it so cannot confirm the veracity of it. I usually set off on a camino with a plan and after 3 days find myself going with the flow depending on how I feel, who I meet etc. I'm not much into IT on my walks, however others are and one can glean interesting info from other walkers re future accommodation.

A couple of tips for what its worth. I would book the albergue at Embalse de Alcantara if walking from Caceres ie 34km as the next stop Canaveral is a further 11km, a long walk if the weather is inclement.
The municipal alberque at Fuente de Cantos is / was closed and by the time I arrived all the private accommodation had been booked, much of it pre booked!! However the Hostal los Rodriguez at Calzadilla de los Baros is only 6km further on and is cheap and cheerful.
Finally, if your penultimate night prior to Santiago is Punta Ullo, I would recommend the Hostel Rios just over the bridge on the right as you walk into the village. Good value, private rooms and the lady who runs it is a real sweetie and very helpful.
Hope this helps and you enjoy your Camino. I'm envious already.
Chris

Thanks Chris. We're taking the route to Astorga b/c we need to be in Segovia by the 11th and it's pretty easy to get there from Astorga.
How long in advance do you suggest we book the Embalse?
What did you do about the Caparra day?

Hi Annie. I walked to Astorga in 2017 and really enjoyed it. After Granja, I was pretty much on my own.

I found the part from Barcial del Barco to Benavente to be a bit confusing, wending my way across and past abandoned railway bridges. A woman at the bar in Barcial gave me a map of the recommended route (which I no longer have!) Then on entering Benavente, I saw some confusing signs to an albergue, but I didn't like the area, so I continued into the city and stayed in a hotel. I've heard that the albergue in Alija del Infantado was closed this year, and there are not many (any?) other places to stay there. So, you might want to check that out closer to the time. The albergue in La Bañeza is hilarious, with a room full of 20 hospital beds.

Those are the adventures that make a Camino so interesting!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Chris. We're taking the route to Astorga b/c we need to be in Segovia by the 11th and it's pretty easy to get there from Astorga.
How long in advance do you suggest we book the Embalse?
What did you do about the Caparra day?
Hi Karen,
I booked Embalse a couple of days before I started from Seville via Whattsapp. Now I would contact them 2 or 3 days before arriving at Embalse. A belt and braces job.

Re Capara, I set off from Carcaboso and walked directly to Caparra via Vente Quemada, then spent an hour or so at Caparra exploring. There are toilets and vending machines selling cold drinks if you turn right at the gate. From there I walked on to Hostal Aturias. Its about 28km, possibly 30km if you lose the path near Asturias. It was one of my favourite days walking. The walk itself is flattish, scenic and variable and Carparra Gates were a must see for me.

I hope this helps,
Chris

Hi Karen,
I booked Embalse a couple of days before I started from Seville via Whattsapp. Now I would contact them 2 or 3 days before arriving at Embalse. A belt and braces job.

Re Capara, I set off from Carcaboso and walked directly to Caparra via Vente Quemada, then spent an hour or so at Caparra exploring. There are toilets and vending machines selling cold drinks if you turn right at the gate. From there I walked on to Hostal Aturias. Its about 28km, possibly 30km if you lose the path near Asturias. It was one of my favourite days walking. The walk itself is flattish, scenic and variable and Carparra Gates were a must see for me.

I hope this helps,
Chris

30k total?
I’m Annie, by the way. :)

30k total?
I’m Annie, by the way. :)
Hi Annie,
apologies for the mistake. My computer keeps freezing and jumping so it can be a bit difficult to follow the flow. Time to invest in a new machine I think!
According to Gerald Kelly it is 12k from Carcaboso to Ventequemada, then 6k to Caparra, then 8km to the turn off to Asturias which is a further 2k. Makes a total of 28k. Looking back I walked about 30k which included wandering all over the site at Caparra and undertaking a slight detour near Asturias ...... lost the route!!

I actually tracked this walk on Wikilocks and it cam out at just short of 19 miles ie about 30km.
Best wishes,
Chris

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Annie @Anniesantiago
I also walked that stage ‘Carcaboso to Hostal Asturias ‘ the same day as Chris! There were quite a lot of people staying in Hostal Asturias that night.
I did take the option to get a pick up from the Cáparra site (car from Hostal Asturias). I think more than half staying that night got a ride for those last few k’s. The other intrepid walkers found a trail on foot but I think a few got some scratches getting through fences.
Same night a young American walked to Olivas de Placencia to find nothing open and continued on main road until he found us all at ‘Asturias’.
Great camaraderie...

Hospitalero at Carcaboso had showed me the choices ahead and suggested Hostal Asturias .. he rang and booked for me. So booking the day before worked for me. The price was excellent for a (small but private ) room. Food was okay too
Buen camino
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back