• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDP this July and August

Hi Folks....

I am new to the forum and to the Camino in general...I would like to ask the experienced Camino walkers a few questions about the VDP....

How crowded do you think the VDP will be this July and August, being a holy year, etc?
Will it be more crowded than other years?
Is it totally nuts to think of walking this route in the summer, even if it isn't hopelessly crowded?

Many thanks for your input..

go well

WS

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
WS,

From my experience of last August, walking the VDP at that time of the year is totally nuts. The heat will kill you!
No wonder I hardly met anybody. Very few ''fools'' will attempt it in such conditions. :oops:

Reconsider your timings,
Jean-Marc

Hi Jean Marc - when in August did you walk it - and was it from Seville or from Granada? I am trying to work out dates for next year. Thanks, Janet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just a suggestion and possibly off-thread:

We walked the entire VDLP from Sevilla to Santiago and then Finisterre in May and June. Although we had a few pretty hot days, it was nothing like the furnace that folks have experienced in July and August.

Are you able to change your dates to spring?

lynne

I'm thinking (next year) the last week in August (around 23rd) into September. And at this stage I am thinking (would like to do) Granada to Merida and then along the VDLP. Cheers, Janet

jl said:
Hi Jean Marc - when in August did you walk it - and was it from Seville or from Granada? I am trying to work out dates for next year. Thanks, Janet

Janet,

I walked from Sevilla, starting on the 22 of August, all the way to Santiago. It was so hot, I felt sick after just 10 km. Temperatures were hovering around 40-45 degrees for the first two weeks.
I just came back from the Grenada area and judging from the terrain and past climate data, it's not much different than Sevilla as far as heat is concerned.

As suggested by Lynne, this should be done in the spring. You then have nice weather all the way to SDC.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Jean-Marc, I know it would be good to walk in the Spring, but that is not possible for me due to work commitments. I am used to the dry heat of 40 degrees - we had well over a week of it last summer, and then got a cool change to 35 degrees!. However, I know that it is not pleasant for walking - although it is probably not a great deal different to a 38 degree humid day, of which I walked many in France last year and in 2007. Of course it would start heating up mid morning, but what are the nights like and the early morning? cheers, Janet

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back