Search 69,459 Camino Questions

vegan/vegi on primitivo

TreeMan

Time of past OR future Camino
planning primitivo
how feasible is it to do the primitivo as a vegan? By which I mean obtaining vegan suitable food or staples on the walk. Is it possible to self-cater the whole trip for example? Are there many markets/stores?
Are there any recommended eateries? Any experience of doing that?
thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My son is vegan and I met 2 other vegans whilst walking the VdlP. Both said that it was proving almost impossible to stick to their vegan diet and both had said they'd needed to include cheese and eggs to get by.

I cant speak for the Primitivo... the VdlP was a bit hit and miss for provisions and if you were walking this path and wanted to stay 100% vegan I would say you might struggle.

Edit : p.s I think it's 100% possible to stick to a vegi diet

Can't speak for the Primativo. But where I've walked a vegetarian diet is not so difficult to maintain, though it's tedious. Sticking to vegan food, while possible, would not be so easy. You'd probably need to carry supplementary provisions, like nuts and other protein sources.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a two-Primitivo vet..... A veggie diet on the Primitivo would be a challenge, but it could be done. As far as a vegan diet goes, it would be a challenge indeed. While tiendas and mercados in villages would have plenty of fruit and vegetables (note the extraordinarily wonderful market in Grado!), you would have to carefully plan. There are really only two large cities along the way (Oviedo and Lugo) and other centres are fairly small and pickings might be slim and, unless you are strongly vegan, there are one or perhaps two stops where you might have to be flexible look and at non-vegan protein sources. A vegan who has done the Primitivo might give you better advice....

While gluten intolerance is another area entirely, I would say that it is now almost possible to do the Primitivo gluten-free, as Spanish restaurants will often point out gluten-free dishes.

thanks a lot for the feedback. By the sounds of it its possible, with some planning. Of course having travelled a little I know generally if you're very clear about the specifics people are gernerally quite obliging. As its important to me I wouldn't want to let go my principles (seems especially important walking on one of the caminos!) Also its great to hear there are some good markets. and presumably super market type stores along the way?

good to hear about the gluten free options too, although they tend to contain egg or dairy.
thanks

I cannot remember many supermarkets between Oviedo and Lugo. More like small family grocery and veg stores and in some places the bar doubles as a small store. There was a supermarket near Grado, but it is out of town away from the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I cannot remember many supermarkets between Oviedo and Lugo. More like small family grocery and veg stores and in some places the bar doubles as a small store. There was a supermarket near Grado, but it is out of town away from the Camino.

I do remember a supermarket (DIA) in Grado, right next to the camino, at the end of town, a bit before Autobar hotel. And according to googlemaps, there is also a Coviran supermarket a bit further ahead, on the main road out of Grado, still on the Camino.
In Cornellana there is a small grocery store between the Monastery-albergue and the center of town. Then in Salas there is also at least a DIA supermarket, but probably one or two other stores in town. In La Espina there is the small gorcery store under the donativo Albergue El Cruce. In Tineo there must be one or two supermarkets as well, although not at the Camino.
In Campiello, Albergue Casa Ricardo has a grocery store in the bar right opposite the albergue. In Berducedo there is also a small family grocery store behind the public albergue.
In Grandas I can't remember any stores, but since it is a fairly "big" town, I'm sure there must be one or two at least. The same in A Fonsagrada.

I think it is not hard to self-cater for a veggie on the Primitivo (maybe not that easy for a strict vegan).

I do remember a supermarket (DIA) in Grado, right next to the camino, at the end of town, a bit before Autobar hotel. And according to googlemaps, there is also a Coviran supermarket a bit further ahead, on the main road out of Grado, still on the Camino.
In Cornellana there is a small grocery store between the Monastery-albergue and the center of town. Then in Salas there is also at least a DIA supermarket, but probably one or two other stores in town. In La Espina there is the small gorcery store under the donativo Albergue El Cruce. In Tineo there must be one or two supermarkets as well, although not at the Camino.
In Campiello, Albergue Casa Ricardo has a grocery store in the bar right opposite the albergue. In Berducedo there is also a small family grocery store behind the public albergue.
In Grandas I can't remember any stores, but since it is a fairly "big" town, I'm sure there must be one or two at least. The same in A Fonsagrada.

I think it is not hard to self-cater for a veggie on the Primitivo (maybe not that easy for a strict vegan).

Thanks that´s very helpful to provide the info. So long as the supermarkets sell things like nuts, pulses, grains etc.

Be sure that they will have the basic things: vegetables, nuts and pulses for sure! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I may be coming in way late on this, but I did the camino del Norte as a vegan last year and plan to do the Norte with enlace to the Primitivo as a vegan this year. It's not impossible or even difficult if you know what you're doing!! Feel free to contact me for any advice.

@Juanma has already given a good list of shops. Campiello also has Herminia's new store as well as Ricardo's so you have two chances there to buy food.

I always advise to temporarily go vegetarian rather than vegan, both because vegan is near impossible if you need others to cook for you, and because your protein needs will be significantly greater on the Camino than elsewhere. Needn't go much further than eggs, milk, cheeses, which do not kill.

Still, focus on Spanish chickpeas and other sorts of protein sources locally available, and you'll do better than I'm suggesting -- just be aware that the occasional dietary compromise may be unavoidable from time to time, but also that those proposing them to you will have nothing but your best peregrino interests at heart.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Grado, Salas, Tineo, Pola de Allande, Grandas, Fonsagrada and Cadavo -Baleira are capitals of their municipalities. Therefore all of them have supermarkets.

I'm vegetarian rather than vegan, but I just ate at a vegan bar/restaurant in Oviedo, about 300 metres from the Cathedral ("El Manglar", in Calle Martinez Vigil). I also spotted a restaurant in Pola de Siero (for those doing the Norte-Primitivo link) that did a four-course vegan pilgrims' menu for 10 euros. Unfortunately I had already eaten something from the supermarket and I don't remember the name, but it was advertised in the Albergue de Peregrinos. Hope that's useful for someone!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back