• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegans on VDLP

Mikelon

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Began today. Had to get credencials from the cathedral library as Hotel Simon and Triana Backpackers were closed. Had a great breakfast at Milk Away and good meals at Arte de Sabor and Misushi. Soya milk and yoghurt available widely in Sevilla.
Today a very, very hot walk too late in the day to Guillena. On the last mile a kind chap at a dog kennels sold us two lovely, cold bottles of water. Dinner in Guillena was Mexican style salad with stuff from the local supermarket, open til 22.00.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Began today. Had to get credencials from the cathedral library as Hotel Simon and Triana Backpackers were closed. Had a great breakfast at Milk Away and good meals at Arte de Sabor and Misushi. Soya milk and yoghurt available widely in Sevilla.
Today a very, very hot walk too late in the day to Guillena. On the last mile a kind chap at a dog kennels sold us two lovely, cold bottles of water. Dinner in Guillena was Mexican style salad with stuff from the local supermarket, open til 22.00.

Are you intending to walk all the way to Santiago? I’ll be watching your progress with interest as I’m also vegan and plan on walking the VdlP next year.

I can’t imagine walking in that heat though, I’ve been here in Cyprus for nearly five months and it’s as much as I can do currently to walk across the beach and into the sea!

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wish you well along the Plata. I have walked it twice but as a vegetarian, basically lived on omelettes, nuts and veggies. Last year did my first Caminos as a vegan (Lana from Alicante to Cuenca and the Primitivo) and I found it difficult if I wanted to eat out. I carried vegan protein powder to at least get some protein in my while walking. Sometimes carried chick peas but they weigh quite a bit. I have never found oat or soy milk in small towns on any Camino but in grocery stores it's readily available.

Good luck and report back. I help run a Facebook group called Vegetarians and Vegans on the Camino so would like to share anything you may find.

Cooler today with thunderstorms and rain. We left Guillena after breakfast, fruit and soya yoghurt with a few brews and, after an unpleasant few miles on a busy road turned onto a track most of the rest of the way into Castilblanco. Going out for chips and beer shortly to discuss our options fir tomorrow's stage. We'll call into the supermercado for supplies too. Hoping for more soya milk as tea is badly needed. We'd hoped for a swim at the municipal piscina but 'bookings closed at one'!? We are still debating whether it's 'estamos veganos' or 'somos veganos'. Feel free to weigh in.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Nosotras somos veganas"/"Nosotros somos veganos". You takes your picks, and your genders, as you find-em.

Some other phrases you may find useful:
Yo no como carne o pescado .
Jamon no es un vegetal.
Pollo no es un vegetal.
Percebes no son verduras.
SĂłlo una ensalada para mĂ­.
Atun no es una planta de ensalada.
Voy a tener el plato de judias.
Chorizo no son judĂ­as .
Una botella de brandy por favor. ;)

Yep, definitely somos, unless you're just trying out veganism for a short time and planning to go back to eating animals soon. But be prepared to explain what you do and don't eat. "Somos veganos" often won't cut it, as many people in rural Spain are not familiar with veganism.

As @Tincatinker alluded to with his rather humorous phrases, it's quite common to see animal flesh (especially ham and tuna) in dishes where you would least expect it. It can be added to salads, on top of a bowl of gazpacho, and you'll even see sandwiches called "vegetal" with ham or other types of flesh in them. "Vegetal" in this case just means it has lettuce and tomato in it; it doesn't mean it only has plant-based ingredients.

In my signature below, you'll find a link to an article I wrote with tips for eating vegan on the Camino. I wrote it on the basis of my experience walking the Francés in 2017, but I have since walked the Camino Primitivo and the Camino de Madrid as a vegan, and I'd say most of the advice holds true for all Caminos.

The Madrid was definitely the most challenging in terms of food, just because it passes through a lot of depopulated towns with only a couple hundred inhabitants, and very few places to eat, or even buy groceries. I ate a lot of bread, tomatoes and dark chocolate on that walk.

I haven't walked VdlP yet, but I have visited several places on the route as a tourist and have written about them on my blog. Here's a link to all my posts on Spain, hopefully some of them will be useful to you: https://www.thenomadicvegan.com/category/travel/spain-travel/

Keep in mind that the posts on Extremadura towns were written several years ago, so there may well be more options now.

Hopefully, you've already downloaded the HappyCow app? If not, definitely do that! But in the places where you don't find anything listed on the app, don't let it worry you. Most traditional Spanish restaurants will have at least a few vegan options, such as paella de verduras, parrillada de verduras, gazpacho, patatas bravas, etc. Again, you'll find more detailed info about these and other dishes on my blog.

Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We take tea seriously. In Almadén tonight, soya milk here in the local shop but not much to eat in cafés, lots closed due to the virus. Casa Concha did us a red pepper salad, asparagus mix and chips. The walk through the national park was lovely. Peaceful and quiet, the air scented with something fragrant.

In El Real tonight at Hostal La Encina. A bit pissed off at the price 60 euros for a double in a place situated in an industrial estate! No kitchen and nothing and nowhere to eat in town. But... soya milk in the local shop plus enough ingredients to make burritos. A tough walk today, hot and hilly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did this Camino as a vegetarian, interesting to follow to see how it is as a vegan. I end up carrying quite a bit from grocery stores. My favorite tapas is often vegan- (at least as I understood it) patatas bravas.

I will say from my first in 2012 to my most recent Camino there were many more vegetarian/vegan options at restaurants but I suppose this would be a hard year to tell.

A night in Monesterio last night. Hostal DP El Pilar was good, basic and quiet but no kitchen. Soya milk available at Eroski but very little to eat at local restaurants. We improvised by adding lupin beans and avocado, bought in a local shop, to a huge tomato salad. The friendly owner also made us a delicious pan of mushrooms in garlic.

In MĂ©rida now, a big city after the little towns. A veggie restaurant with lots of vegan options, Shangri-la was most welcome. Almazara hostel the night before was fantastic except for the mosquitos and the misleading map on 'Booking'. It's 4 clicks out of town, not on the main street as they would direct you.
We're realising the effect the virus has had on businesses and communities. So many closed, for sale, to rent. Very sad.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"Nosotras somos veganas"/"Nosotros somos veganos". You takes your picks, and your genders, as you find-em.

Some other phrases you may find useful:
Yo no como carne o pescado .
Jamon no es un vegetal.
Pollo no es un vegetal.
Percebes no son verduras.
SĂłlo una ensalada para mĂ­.
Atun no es una planta de ensalada.
Voy a tener el plato de judias.
Chorizo no son judĂ­as .
Una botella de brandy por favor. ;)

Love it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We're in Cáceres for the weekend, hoping for some variety in our diet which has consisted of canned pisto, a vegetable stew, and lentejas /garbanzos. Everywhere, even the tiniest shop has sold soya milk. Just for tea for those of you who have soy anxieties. The best advice we can give so far is, stay in albergues that have kitchens as most restaurants have little more than chips for vegans although a few have gone to some trouble to help us. The walking has been great now that we've established a routine of early starts. You really don't want to be walking after 14.00, the heat is incredible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Mikelon! Try and look up Magwood and her blogs on this forum. She writes in detail about how she handled her diet.

Buen camino!

Had a good night in Casar de Cáceres in a very reasonable apartment just off the main street. We were supposed to walk to the Embalse Alcántara today but there was no accommodation so we deviated to Santiago del Campo to stay at Casa Rural Julio Vegas which is fantastic. Be aware though, local shop closes at 16.00.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Our camino is over for this year. Plasencia is as far as we got but what a beautiful place. As an aside, if you need a cooling break from the camino in summer head to the Valle de Jerte. It has numerous rivers and natural pools for wild swimming.
In conclusion our advice for vegan peregrinos on this wonderful walk is self cater when you can, get used to a diet of chickpeas,stuff yourself when you get to bigger towns and train to carry essentials like peanut butter.
We'll be back next year Insh'Allah.

Our camino is over for this year. Plasencia is as far as we got but what a beautiful place. As an aside, if you need a cooling break from the camino in summer head to the Valle de Jerte. It has numerous rivers and natural pools for wild swimming.
In conclusion our advice for vegan peregrinos on this wonderful walk is self cater when you can, get used to a diet of chickpeas,stuff yourself when you get to bigger towns and train to carry essentials like peanut butter.
We'll be back next year Insh'Allah.

I'm glad to hear you had a good Camino! Plasencia is a lovely town.

€46,-
Interesting thread, although I am not a vegan/vegetarian: At the end of the day I'll eat anything put in front of me, but since my granddaughter is vegetarian, I have learnt a few recipes. But I have tried vegan/vegetarian dishes on several occasions, and some are very nice. I remember in El Burgo Ranero (CF), the hospitalero and (a) took me to a vegan restaurant in the main road. It was delicious! Hopefully the caminos will respond to the needs of all kinds.

And I suppose and hope, that when this pandemic has loosened its grip, I can walk again. I suspect that when I arrive in the albergue of @LTfit it will be all vegan (OK by me), but maybe I can sob myself to an omelette (perhaps with a strain of ham in it)? ;)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back