• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarian albergues/restaurants on the Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francès (SJPDP - Santiago) - Summer 2012 / Camino Aragones (Lourdes to Finisterre) - Fall 2013
Past summer I walked from SJPP to Santiago. As a vegetarian, it wasn't always easy to find places where we could eat a nice vegetarian dish other than patatas or pasta with tomatosauce.
I did however notice there were a lot of nice vegetarian(friendly) albergues and restaurants, but we always heard of them after we had passed them.

So, for my next camino I'd like to know of these places beforehand! Can you help me out? This topic might be helpful for other vegetarians/vegans as well. I know of the following places, but I'm sure there are more:

- Albergue Orisson (between SJPP and Roncesvalles) serves vegetarian dishes
- In Burgos is restaurant Gaia, a superb vegan restaurant close to the cathedral
- In Murias de Rechivaldo (after Astorga) is a bar that has a vegetarian menu
- In Pieros (after Cacabelos) is a new vegetarian albergue
- The Brazilian albergue in Vega de la Valcarce serves lovely vega-meals
- In La Faba is a vegetarian albergue

Thanks for thinking along and buen camino to y'all!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This will be a helpful for me too...
Agreed; vegetarian places are tricky to discover!
Can you please give the names of the vegie albergues in Pieros and La Faba?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
We had delicious vegetarian meals at these two albergues :

Paloma y Lena at San Mamed just before Sarria

Monte Irago in Foncebadon

Fortview, thank you very much! I'll add them to my list!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are very welcome !
Such a great idea to get a list of vegetarian places.
Buen camino
Helen :D

For me it's going to be even harder since there aren't many things I can eat. :) I'll probably have to carry some back-up food for those nights where I can't score some food.

PS. You aren't Dutch by any chance?

Thanks for the info.
Wondering about the availability of organic dairy products in northern Spain...
I am thinking it is likely that this would be the case with goat cheese in Basque region?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good idea! Here some more for the list:

Ruitelán (somewhere between Villafranca del Bierzo - O Cebreiro): Refugio Pequeño Potala, serves dinners, including vegetarian options.

Hospital de Órbigo: Albergue Verde (http://www.albergueverde.es) Ecological albergue

SY

Refugio Pequeño Potala, serves dinners, including vegetarian options.
There are plenty of vegetables, particularly the salad, but the main course the times I have been there was pasta with meat sauce. Any soup is likely to have a meat base. We had the hospitalero drag the cook from the kitchen for a round of applause!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great topic! I really like Spain, but as a vegetarian you seem to have to live on a diet of cheese, eggs, potatoes and some vegetables (if you are lucky)...

Don't forget the many tiendas and markets where you can buy lovely fresh fruit and vegetables, dried fruit and nuts, awesome breads, fruit juices, wines, eggs, pasta. Many (I'd almost say most) albergues have a community kitchen where you can cook your own also. If you eat fish, you can buy tuna in cans in packets of 3 and they have pop-tops so you don't need a can opener. There are also fresh air markets. I don't think you'll have a problem eating!

You are right of course! I simetimes have a hard time getting enough proteins. At home I eat a lot of dairy, soya, beans, whey and quorn for example.

Does anyone know about the Via de la Plata? Kitchen facilities in the albergues too?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is one problem with labeling an albergue as vegetarian or not - it often depends on the hospitaleros that are doing their 15-day service whether or not they serve vegetarian food. The albergue could be vegetarian (or even vegan) for a couple of weeks and when the next hospitalero takes over it's back to meat again.
Some hospitaleros offer both - a vegetarian dish like vegetable stew or soup with some salchicha or pollo on the side.
I came to realise that most places serving soup, even if it is a vegetable soup, use meat or bones as a base for the stock.

Sil's remarks are quite right. I am a vegetarian so while in Grañón as a hospitalera I made sure that there was always a vegetarian option. I was suprised at how few vegetarians there were: on a given night with 40-60 pilgrims only a handful were vegetarian.

To answer your question Luka: along the Via de la Plata I stuk with Gazpacho and Ensalada Mixta supplemented with nuts. At times I also ate fish or eggs as there is literally no other option for proteins (except for canned beans). Vegetarianism is still quite uncommon in Spain so don't expect to find the huge assortment of vegetarian products like we have in the supermarkets at home. And as you may have heard the Spanish don't consider ham or sausage meat so they sneak then into so-called "vegetarian" meals including lentils.

Yes. True about the soup. You also have to specify 'sin carne, sin atun' on your ensaladas mixtas. I've received them with both tuna and meat on them. But all in all, a vegetarian diet is absolutely possible, although perhaps not as relaxingly convenient.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We tried to cook ourselves as much as possible. But the thing that makes the camino great - not knowing where you're going to be at the end of the day - sometimes worked against us, ending up in an albergue with a kitchen but in a village without a tienda or the other way around ;-)

I just hope this list makes a vegetarian lifestyle on the camino somewhat easier. As for the albergues that serve vegetarian food depending on the hospitalero, they'll just be a nice surprise then. :)

Anyway, I'm adding to the list a restaurant in Roncesvalles (La Posada), where they serve a really good pilgrim menu. Optional fish or vegetarian. Was great!

On my 'Don't Miss It' list is Restaurante Sarasate in Pamplona. It is located just off the Plaza Mayor on c/San Nicholas. They offer a mid-day menu Monday - Saturday, with a special price of 9.50 euros for pilgrims with the credential. Fantastic food, and they also can bring in some non-veg options from their other restaurant if your carnivore friends are with you. Although my non-veg friends said it was the best meal they'd had on the Camino...

Always ask for a vegetarian option, and be sure to specify what YOU mean by 'vegetarian'!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you to everyone contributing to this page. You all have been very helpful. Has anyone tried growing sprouts while hiking? I plan to start in september hoping to enjoy the harvest. I figure it's my best option as a vegetarian. The book Fabio mentioned sounds good but I don't speak Italian, but then again, I may learn something new. Perhaps some of us will meet and cook up a vegetarian feast. Peace and buen camino

Hi, Yes! We grew sprouted beans all the way from Sintra in Portugal to Santiago and along the Camino Norte and the Camino Litoral - until I dropped my bike on a pavement and smashed the jar! (I sat and cried!) Now I take a plastic jar and muslin cover so it won't break so easily. It is great to have beansprouts most days to keep the scurvy away! Take a light plastic pot to put sprouts in when done so you can start more off. It is fairly easy to buy seed on the way - at least they are very light!! They sprout v quick when its hot.

It is great to have a list of places where we might get decent vegetarian/vegan food along The Way because we found we got fed up eating out of tins/jars etc at times. We are going in August on the French route and hoping to do it all in one go for the first time. When we have been on pilgrimage before we made use of kitchen facilities most of the time and cooked for ourselves -usually making too much meaning we were able to feed others and were very popular pilgrims at times for this reason.

One thing we noticed about kitchen facilities was that in Galicia they seemed to become very rare - many didnt have kitchen facilities and if they did then many had no equipment in them whatsoever - this was inconvenient from the point of view of vegetarian/vegan eating and from the point of view of cost for those who are on a budget - we got the impression there was an agreement of some kind to make it hard for pilgrims to cook for themselves in Galicia and thus give them no option BUT to eat in local businesses - this happened a few times in 2010/2009 maybe things have improved a bit now. A list of Galician refugios (private, local authority or church) that have well equipped Kicthens would be useful too come to think of it

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When ordering a pilgrim meal there are often several vegetarian options for the first course, but rarely for the second course. I usually ordered two first courses; a mixed salad without the tuna for my first course and either a vegetarian soup (pumpkin, lentil, garlic) or pasta with tomato sauce from the first course menu as my second course.

a vegetarian soup (pumpkin, lentil, garlic)
It will almost certainly be a meat broth except in an actual vegetarian place, so ask (if it is important to you). Spain is a pork-based country!

SCL said:
When ordering a pilgrim meal there are often several vegetarian options for the first course, but rarely for the second course. I usually ordered two first courses; a mixed salad without the tuna for my first course and either a vegetarian soup (pumpkin, lentil, garlic) or pasta with tomato sauce from the first course menu as my second course.

You should ask. Garlic soup is at times made with cured ham + bread plus an egg dropped into the boiling concoction. Other times the flavour simply comes from the olive oil, water and garlic - purely vegetarian. In my experience Crema de Calabaza (pumpkin) is exclusively vegetarian. Lentils or Lentejas is a different matter - the most common is made with minced meat, cured ham and chorizo although some places (and in many homes) make purely vegetable lentils.

Good luck.

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, of course soups can be made with meat broth or with actual mrat in them. I always asked, and the examples I listed were enjoyed meat free in some albergues. My point is that the first course list has more opportunities for vegetarian dishes than the second. Feel free to choose two dusters from the first course menu in order to eat meat free.

Here are a couple of new additions to the list:

In Burgos, Cardomomo Vegetariano restaurant, 20 minute walk from the cathedral at C/ Jesus Maria Ordono 3

In Villar de Mazarife, Albergue San Antonio de Padua, always vegetarian

In Hospital de Orbigo, Albergue Verde, always vegetarian (mentioned before, listed to clarify 'always')

In Trabadelo, Bar y Pension El Puente Peregrino, mostly vegetarian with trout available for non-veg eaters

Albergue in Las Herrerrias, always vegetarian

In A Balsa (1.5 kms after Triacastela towards San Xil), Albergue Ecologico El Beso, always vegetarian

As a vegetarian, I have added all of these places to my 'Don't Miss It' List.

falcon269 said:
Spain is a pork-based country!

I once asked at a hotel if there was something besides toast and coffee for breakfast---tortilla perhaps?

She gave me five pork chops.

Finished them too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nancy, wow, thank you so much for the additions! Helps a lot. I updated my guidebook ;-)

Cedros restaurant in Santiago (which sadly we only found on our final evening!) is EXCELLENT and has plenty of vegetarian options. The cuisine is Thai and is tasty, wholesome and well cooked.
I'm not vegetarian, but will always happily eat a vegetarian meal when Carol and I visit a vegetarian joint. We always asked (first-off) when going into an establishment "Tienes un menu vegetarian?" (in my faltering spanish!) if the answer was "no" we would then ask if they could provide us with a meal "sin carne, pollo, pescado?" generally we were given great help and usually found an option that suited us. I guess if one is going to take up the "pilgrim menu" at 9-10 euros then its higly unlikely that you will get a great deal of choice...not at that price anyway!
In Triacastela,I remember overhearing one guy saying, (when given the dessert options of the pilgrim menu by an overworked waiter) "don't you have a cheese platter? and what flavors of ice cream d'you have?" all without a single trace of irony!

carriedavey said:
Cedros restaurant in Santiago (which sadly we only found on our final evening!) is EXCELLENT and has plenty of vegetarian options. The cuisine is Thai and is tasty, wholesome and well cooked.

Oh my gosh, how did I forget Cedro's?!?!?! I eat there every time I am in Santiago, and I always drag along all my friends. Cedro's is located on one of the streets coming out from the cathedral, same one with many of the busiest bars and restaurants.

Cedro's also has meat options for your non-veg friends...

forgot to mention quite a few cafes all the way along on the route offer vegetarian Paella, they are almost all frozen and basic, usually less than a tenner and a Euro or so cheaper than the non veggie ones (also frozen) and VERY welcome at times.

ok veggies, my latest discoveries
- The restaurante in Cizur Menor that the the Private Hospitalera is very keen to send you to states that it has a vegetarian menu. dont know aboutt he quality or extent of this menu because I had eaten in Resaurante Sarasete in Pamplona which is an absolute must, is entirely veggie. Look for it on second floor on San Nicolas, the tourist info place will direct you but it´s central
- Restaurante Gaia at the back of the Cathedral in Burgos is an absolute MUST, totally vegan, good value and decent portions but only opens between 1-4.30pm and get there before 3pm as theres always a queue
- La Posada Vegetariana in Logrono does not now exist, follow the arrows however and there is a decent Japanese place which will do veggie-vegan meals, specify you dont want egg in your rice. In addition to Spanish they speak English and obviously Japanese
-The first place you come to in Ages (just after St. Juan D Órtega) advertises a Vegetarian menu, again dont know to what quality or extent
- The Cocinarte veggie place in Leon looks like it´s gone too, if it hasnt then good luck in trying to find it because I´ve been all over the area it´s meant to be and I cant find it. There´s said to be an Indian close to the rooute too and I couldnt find that either.
I´ll put more observations up at the end of my camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I endorse the comment about Paloma y Lena at San Mamed just before Sarria. It is family run so there is no question about the menu changing with hospitaleros. It is always wholly vegetarian. Not a vegetarian myself but found everything very tasty and freshly cooked.

roofgiant, thanks for the update! It's always good to have on-the-ground knowledge! I'm headed to Sarasate and Gaia in September...

Thank you all for the info. I've gone over all the comments and info and this is the list I came up with. I plan to start from SJPP on Sept 18. Indian, Middle Eastern and Asian Restaurants generally have decent Veggie options and University towns also. Please add to this list or correct it. I very much appreciate all the wonderful insights I have received on this forum. Also, I believe a few good phrases to know are: 'Tienes un menu vegetariano?' Do you have a vegetarian menu? 'No como carne, pollo, cerdo o mariscos'. I do not eat meat, chicken, pork or seafood. 'Tienes arroz y frijoles?' Do you have rice and beans? I'm practicing my vegetables (verduras) in Spanish.
There appear to be quite a few Veggie options from Leon to La Faba. Here's the list:
St Jean Pied de Port, Albergue Gita Ultriea(was told they have a good veggie meal).
Albergue du Pellerin said Vegetarian is S--t Food!

Orisson, Veggie Options available.(Not ideal but ok)

Roncesvalles, La Posada has Veggie option(Not Ideal, but ok)

Pamploma, Restaurante Sarasate on Calle st Nicholas (Vegetarian Rest has good options.)

Villtuerta Puente, la Casa Magica

Logrono, a University town. any veggie options? A Japanese Rest.in the area. Address?

Ages, The first place you come to on the left as you enter town advertises a Veggie and Gluten Free.Menu.

Burgos, Rest. Cardomomo on Calle Jesus Maria Ordono 3 (near int.of Av Arlanzon & Av Cantabria) (?)
Restaurante Gaia on Calle de Fernan Gonzalez 37, Vegan, Open 1-4:30pm?(close to Catedral)(?)

Leon, Someone mentioned an Indian Rest on Camino path between the Albergue and the Catedral. (Didn't see it)Does anyone have any info on this?

Villar de Mazarife, Albergue San Antonio de Padua. (Pepe makes a veggie dinner, very good)

Hospital de Orbigo, Albergue Verdi(Great! Had a great Vegan Dinner with Organic veggies from their garden)

Murias de Rechivaldo, a Bar with Veggie options?(reviews not good. Expensive?Any info?)
At Las Aguedas Albergue the cook made a veggie lasagna when I told her I was Veg. That was nice.

Foncebadon, Albergue Monte Irago(Had a good Vegetarian meal)

Pieros, Albergue Serbal y de la Luna(Had good veggie dinner)

Trabadello. El Puente Perigrino, a Bar & Pension?(Had good meals with several Veggie options)

Vega De Valcarce, Albergue N.S.Aparecido o Brasil, Veggie options.

Ruitelan, Albrgue Pequeno Potala, dinner with Veggie options.

Herrerias, Albergue Myriam, Veggie dinner & breakfast options.

La Faba, Refugio Vegeteriano(Had a good veggie meal)

A Balsa, Albergue Ecologico El Beso (Getting good reviews)

San Mamed del Camino, Albergue Paloma Y Lena, Family run, so should be consistent Veggie.(Getting good reviews)

Santiago, A Tulla Ruela de Entrerruas, (Several delicious veggie items), off of Rua du Vilar near Tourist Info. Office)
Rest. Cedros, Rua do Vilar 81(?)
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Ages, The first place you come to advertises a Veggie Menu. Any more info?

Maurice - Thank you for making the list. My new guidebook tells me this about Agés:

"Albergue San Rafael, private, 10 beds, wifi, etc. Open all year, offers vegetarian and Celiac (gluten free) meals." The map shows that when entering the town, the albergue is immediately on your left hand side.

Loving all the input :)

Thank you all for the info. I've gone over all the comments and info and this is the list I came up with. I plan to start from SJPP on Sept 18. Indian, Middle Eastern and Asian Restaurants generally have decent Veggie options and University towns also. Please add to this list or correct it. I very much appreciate all the wonderful insights I have received on this forum. Also, I believe a few good phrases to know are: 'Tienes un menu vegetariano?' Do you have a vegetarian menu? 'No como carne, pollo, cerdo o mariscos'. I do not eat meat, chicken, pork or seafood. 'Tienes arroz y frijoles?' Do you have rice and beans? I'm practicing my vegetables (verduras) in Spanish.
There appear to be quite a few Veggie options from Leon to La Faba. Here's the list:
Orisson, Veggie Options available.

Roncesvalles, La Posada has Veggie option

Pamploma, Restaurante Sarasate on Calle st Nicholas (Vegetarian Rest.)

Logrono, a University town. any veggie options? A Japanese Rest.in the area. Address?

Ages, The first place you come to advertises a Veggie Menu. Any more info?

Burgos, Rest. Cardomomo on Calle Jesus Maria Ordono 3 (near int.of Av Arlanzon & Av Cantabria)
Restaurante Gaia on Calle de Fernan Gonzalez 37, Vegan, Open 1-4:30pm?(close to Catedral)

Leon, Someone mentioned an Indian Rest on Camino path between the Albergue and the Catedral. Does anyone have any info on this?

Villar de Mazarife, Albergue San Antonio de Padua

Hospital de Orbigo, Albergue Verdi

Murias de Rechivaldo, a Bar with Veggie options?

Foncebadon, Albergue Monte Irago

Pieros, Albergue Serbal y de la Luna

Trabadello. El Puente Perigrino, a Bar & Pension?

La Faba, Refugio Vegeteriano

A Balsa, Albergue Ecologico El Beso (any info on this?)

San Mamed del Camino, Albergue Paloma Y Lena, Family run, so should be consistent Veggie.

Santiago, Rest. Cedros, Rua do Vilar 81
Buen Camino
Maurice - Thanks for the list. And thanks to all contributors.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there!

I'm not a vegetarian nor vegan, but I volunteered to make a list of "good" menu del dia/menu peregrino/plato combinado/a la carte etc. And I wish to thank you all to contribute to this list althought you may not be aware of it at all. I'll put your reports in my list (will be on this forum of course!). Most of the suggestions are already there, but yesterday I saw in a thread that I can't find right now, that the only albergue in Herrerias (just before the ascent to O'Cebreiro) offers vegetarian cenas: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/refugio-en-herrerias. Hope that will help someone on the way right now :)

Buen provecho!

I found this website: http://www.restaurantesvegetarianos.es/, which lists vegetarian restaurants in all of Spain. I found rest./bar Los Delirios del Quijote (http://www.restaurantesvegetarianos...sobi2Task=sobi2Details&sobi2Id=149&Itemid=194) on there which I am hereby adding to the list!
Hey NoornanderVeen, thanks for the info.I will edit the above list to include the Ages info. I'll also look into the website. I'll try make note of any additional restaurants from that site. Getting excited and it's coming soon. Have been trying to book Orisson for the 18th but they done seem to answer their emails. I want to go slow and enjoy the Pyrenees. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to have this list available so people can add to and keep it updated and available to Peregrinos. Thank you to everyone for their input. Peace, Love and Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi there!

I'm not a vegetarian nor vegan, but I volunteered to make a list of "good" menu del dia/menu peregrino/plato combinado/a la carte etc. And I wish to thank you all to contribute to this list althought you may not be aware of it at all. I'll put your reports in my list (will be on this forum of course!). Most of the suggestions are already there, but yesterday I saw in a thread that I can't find right now, that the only albergue in Herrerias (just before the ascent to O'Cebreiro) offers vegetarian cenas: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/refugio-en-herrerias. Hope that will help someone on the way right now :)

Buen provecho!
Hi yes I stayed in Las Herrerias, its veggie and lovely, youre spoiled for choice in that area as there is La Faba about 3km further on and the place in Ruitelan a few km before

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Ages, The first place you come to on the left as you enter town advertises a Veggie and Gluten Free.Menu.

Burgos, Rest. Cardomomo on Calle Jesus Maria Ordono 3 (near int.of Av Arlanzon & Av Cantabria)
Restaurante Gaia on Calle de Fernan Gonzalez 37, Vegan, Open 1-4:30pm?(close to Catedral)

Leon, Someone mentioned an Indian Rest on Camino path between the Albergue and the Catedral. Does anyone have any info on this?

San Mamed del Camino, Albergue Paloma Y Lena, Family run, so should be consistent Veggie.

Buen Camino

Hi great list, stayed in A Balsa, run by two pilgrims who met on the Camino, wonderful welcoming atmosphere, heavenly location and fine food, eco friendly,one of my favourite stays, about 2k outside Triacastela on the way to San Xil. Opened in May 2013, one of my absolute favourite stays of my camino

Past summer I walked from SJPP to Santiago. As a vegetarian, it wasn't always easy to find places where we could eat a nice vegetarian dish other than patatas or pasta with tomatosauce.
I did however notice there were a lot of nice vegetarian(friendly) albergues and restaurants, but we always heard of them after we had passed them.

So, for my next camino I'd like to know of these places beforehand! Can you help me out? This topic might be helpful for other vegetarians/vegans as well. I know of the following places, but I'm sure there are more:

- In Burgos is restaurant Gaia, a superb vegan restaurant close to the cathedral

the place in Peiros is wonderful, the hospitaleras are sooooooooooo lovely and were supportive to me during some difficulties. It was the best meal of the camino

A Balsa on the way to San Xil is a must stop, eco friendly, run by two pilgrims who met on the camino and entirely veggie, set in beautiful (heavenly) woodland on the hills.

This thread seems to have everything on it that I know about, there is a Falafel bar in Melide just a few doors up from the private Albergue called Pereiro (which also has a kitchen and is nice)

A word of warning about the place in Murias de Rechivaldo, it's called El Llarr or something and they give out fliers before Astorga trumpeting it's orgnic, veggie credentials, the place is a disgrace, the food is average and the prices are VERY out of proportion to the rest of Spain, it was the most expensive coffee of the camino and far from the nicest, in my opinion they are taking the p*ss. A number of people were annoyed at the prices and I was within a hairs breadth of refusing to pay but didn't have the energy. I made it clear to the proprietor that I would be telling people about her high prices for average food. Best to keep walking to the next village a short distance along and you'll find something veggie that is not over priced.

Dont forget Sarasete Restaurante in Pamplona, wonderful lots of choices and friendly.

Paloma Y Lena in San Mamed before Sarria do a good veggie dinner and offered to charge me less as I'm vegan and only ate certain of their dishes.

Cedros in Santiago is ok for Fallafel etc and you can always fill up on Pimientos de Padron, patatas bravas and bread along the way

Buen Camino

Couldnt find the Indian place in Leon or the reputed veggie restaurant, they may well be gone, A Balsa is a wonderful stop,veggie, run by lovely pilgrims and eco friendly, my favourite stop on the camino, heavenly surroundings, recently opened.

Re the Japanese place, dont have the address but follow the arrows like youre leaving Logrono and not far along you will you come to a crossroads at a main road, the restaurant is across the road slightly to your left. its closer to the town centre than I made it sound here.

The place in Burgos is wonderful, its behind the Meson el Cid hotel which is opposite the cathedral and those are the opening times, I think it's new so it might expan in the future, it is amazingly busy so arrive early.

Maurice - Thank you for making the list. My new guidebook tells me this about Agés:

"Albergue San Rafael, private, 10 beds, wifi, etc. Open all year, offers vegetarian and Celiac (gluten free) meals." The map shows that when entering the town, the albergue is immediately on your left hand side.

Loving all the input :)

Good to know because I actually found it much harder than I expected. It meant a lot of egg dinners or just not eating out with friends I met along the way, which was a pity. Sauces are the killer because I never knew what was in them. Soups are normally thickened with flour. I have photos of a friend holding her big bocadillo and me holding just the meat and cheese rolled up. Bocadillo sin pan! Most tapas are on bread. I was having serious food envy. I ate a lot of tortilla, olives, almonds and chocolate. I would stock up in the cities at the big supermarkets because they always had a sin gluten section for a few treats.

I just returned from my first Camino. Eating well took much effort. When asking about vegetarian meals I recieved some wierd looks and responses from 'You're Italian?', 'No' to 'Vegetarian is S--t food'. I also was offered French Fries with cheese, carrots and lettuce. French Fries with eggs for dinner. It was not always easy. However it was encouraging to find a number of restaurants and Albergues that did cater or accommodate vegetarians. The owner of 'A Tulla' in Santiago offered a menu de dia with 4 options for courses 1 and 2 and several great desserts like a delicious carrot cake. Mostly I was looking for super mercados and albergues with kitchens. Besides, sharing meals with other pilgrims was one of the highlights of the Camino. Preparing food together and sharing it is a very positive thing. I am trying to keep the list of vegetarian options up to date for future vegetarian pilgrims.

Wow! I am walking Camino Frances May 2014 and only yesterday started thinking hard about how to eat on the Way as I was told there's not too many vegetarian options.
Thank you ever so much for this wonderful thread, I have made a list of everything everyone has put up here and the phrases included are super helpful as I'm only learning Spanish.
Muchas Gracias and Buen Camino :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are right of course! I simetimes have a hard time getting enough proteins. At home I eat a lot of dairy, soya, beans, whey and quorn for example.

Does anyone know about the Via de la Plata? Kitchen facilities in the albergues too?
I've thought about this and decided to bring protein powder with me for a morning or afternoon shake. I'm bringing a platypus for my water and then I'll carry around an empty water bottle and make shakes as I go - I'm only bringing enough for maybe 15-20 servings so it shouldn't be that heavy to carry but will come in handy when I feel low on protein options :D (I checked and they allow protein powder on airlines) - just a thought

By now actually I do exactly the same!

I also found it difficult to get good veggie food on the Camino. I second the many recommendations for the San Antonio de Padua albergue in Villar de Mazarife. The pilgrim dinner (vegetarian only) was outstanding - definitely one of the best.

The Hogar Albergue in Villamayor Monjardin also do a freshly prepared vegetarian option.

I see that there are mixed reviews of Meson El Liar in Murias de Rechivaldo. I thought it was fantastic and although more expensive than most other places, I felt it was worth it. The photos below show its menu and deli counter. We were there mid-morning and I had a fantastic cornbread sandwich with avocado and lots of salad. My husband enjoyed the meat pie!

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thar looks delicious and there's more than one choice! Definitely stoping there. I think I'm going to take everyone's recommendations and try to set up my own itinerary according to the veggie options! Has anyone done that? Maybe a vegetarian camino guidebook?

I live in Galica and find it amazing that we can grow so many wonderful vegetables so easily and yet they are not on all menu's. Strange

The private vegetarian Albergue just 2 km from Caccabelos -past the municipal -is great -delicious food and warm welcome,clean comfortable beds and calm gentle atmosphere-it's called serbal y la luna -it's a gem!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The private vegetarian Albergue just 2 km from Caccabelos -past the municipal -is great -delicious food and warm welcome,clean comfortable beds and calm gentle atmosphere-it's called serbal y la luna -it's a gem!
Hi Lou, is it open in November? Jill

There is albergue with vegiterian meal(the name should be 'verde' in Hospital de orbigo)0pen in November.
I've been there last year in November.
It was one of best albergue in my camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lou, is it open in November? Jill
It should be -but slightly depends on how busy they've been -Albergue Verde is excellent too
You might want to ring serbal y la luna nearer your time -details on web site
Buen camino

Ditto to may of the recommendations above, especially Mazariffe, Murias, La Faba, A Balsa.
And to update, there's a lovely new Macrobiotic place in Vega de Valcarce. Their take-away was bliss, eaten half-way up the hill under an enormous chestnut tree.
One disappointment was the Sarasante in Pamplona. It wasn't open when I went in the evening. :(

Out of interest what was their take away -I am really hoping to return to pieros Albergue next year and would like to help them provide what pilgrims crave!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Quinoa salad with garbanzos was what I had. It was my understanding that there was no set menu for such things, it'd change depending on what was available.
FWIW, What I craved after a while was protein that wasn't egg or dairy (I like them but day after day after day of bocadillos and tortilla...), and lots of fresh vegetables.

Update:

Sarasate in Pamplona: not found (walked the street up and down twice)
First albergue in Agés: very ordinary food you could get almost everywhere (I had spaghetti with tomato sauce)

In Pieros the vegetarian Albergue is called Serbal y la luna and is super -very friendly ,delicious food-cous cous and vegetables ,clean and comfortable -the best beds-definitely worth making a note of!

Try the app Happy Cow either the free or for a small fee more features to locate vegan, vegetarian bars, restaurants, and stores. Just add the location or search nearby. Vegandir.com is as also helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back