A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Live - Camino Portugues Vegetarian Camino Help

Ricardo Oliveira

Camino(s) past & future
2017 - Camino Portugues (Ponte Lima - Santiago) with my one year old son and wife :)
Hi Pilgrims,

After having done two paths with my little son, this year we returned on the way to make Valença - Santiago in 3 days, it will be such an adventure.

Considering that we are vegetarians will be a challenge aside waiting for us on the way.

Anyone have suggestions to give us about this issue? Vegetarian eating places ...
Thank you.

PS.: If you want to follow this adventure go to: Os_Caminhos

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
This earlier forum thread my be helpful for your research.

By the way in Tui this place offers albergue rooms and vegetarian meals.

Good luck and Bom caminho to both of you!

Last edited:

Geodoc

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (crossed Pyrenees then Sarria to SdC) 2018, Frances & Ingles Summer, 2019.
Hi Pilgrims,

After having done two paths with my little son, this year we returned on the way to make Valença - Santiago in 3 days, it will be such an adventure.

Considering that we are vegetarians will be a challenge aside waiting for us on the way.

Anyone have suggestions to give us about this issue? Vegetarian eating places ...
Thank you.
I'm in the process of creating a vegan cookbook, which will be ready in a couple of days. I'll send you a copy if you like.

Ricardo Oliveira

Camino(s) past & future
2017 - Camino Portugues (Ponte Lima - Santiago) with my one year old son and wife :)
I'm in the process of creating a vegan cookbook, which will be ready in a couple of days. I'll send you a copy if you like.
Hi @Geodoc I appreciate the response and of course I'm curious about your book.

Ricardo Oliveira

Camino(s) past & future
This earlier forum thread my be helpful for your research.

By the way in Tui this place offers albergue rooms and vegetarian meals.

Good luck and Bom caminho to both of you!
Hi @mspath Thanks for the answer. Yes I know this hostel and recommend it.

Wendy Werneth

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port (2017)
Camino Primitivo (2018)
Camino de Madrid (2019)
Hi Ricardo,

Since you'll be in Spain for most of your Camino, you'll be happy to know that Spanish cuisine is more veg-friendly than Portuguese cuisine. There are a number of purely plant-based dishes that are pretty common in Spain, such as paella de verduras, parrillada de verduras, gazpacho, patatas bravas, pan con tomate, etc.

Even if you don't see these on the menu, restaurant staff will often be able to make them for you if you ask. I haven't walked the Portugués yet, so I can't give specific recommendations. I had no trouble finding vegan food on the Camino Francés or the Camino Primitivo, though. The Camino de Madrid was trickier, but that was because it passes through a lot of tiny, dying towns with just a couple of hundred people living there. We learned to stock up at supermarkets whenever we passed through larger towns.

See the article and video linked in my signature below for more tips on eating veggie on the Camino.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
Hi Pilgrims,

Thank you.

View attachment 55223
You DO realize that this is about 115 km... Three days... Dios mio!

pilgrimglenn7

Camino(s) past & future
st james way and portugese
Hi Pilgrims,

Thank you.

View attachment 55223
Buen Camino and we are vegetarians also :) thanks for your help and advice :) praying for you all

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%