• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarian Camino Help

Ricardo Oliveira

Time of past OR future Camino
2017/2019 - Camino Portugues (Ponte Lima - Santiago)
2018 - Camino Portugues Costa
Hi Pilgrims,

After having done two paths with my little son, this year we returned on the way to make Valença - Santiago in 3 days, it will be such an adventure.

Considering that we are vegetarians will be a challenge aside waiting for us on the way.

Anyone have suggestions to give us about this issue? Vegetarian eating places ...
Thank you.

PS.: If you want to follow this adventure go to: Os_Caminhos

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This earlier forum thread my be helpful for your research.

By the way in Tui this place offers albergue rooms and vegetarian meals.

Good luck and Bom caminho to both of you!

Last edited:
Hi Pilgrims,

After having done two paths with my little son, this year we returned on the way to make Valença - Santiago in 3 days, it will be such an adventure.

Considering that we are vegetarians will be a challenge aside waiting for us on the way.

Anyone have suggestions to give us about this issue? Vegetarian eating places ...
Thank you.

I'm in the process of creating a vegan cookbook, which will be ready in a couple of days. I'll send you a copy if you like.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm in the process of creating a vegan cookbook, which will be ready in a couple of days. I'll send you a copy if you like.

Hi @Geodoc I appreciate the response and of course I'm curious about your book.

This earlier forum thread my be helpful for your research.

By the way in Tui this place offers albergue rooms and vegetarian meals.

Good luck and Bom caminho to both of you!

Hi @mspath Thanks for the answer. Yes I know this hostel and recommend it.

Hi Ricardo,

Since you'll be in Spain for most of your Camino, you'll be happy to know that Spanish cuisine is more veg-friendly than Portuguese cuisine. There are a number of purely plant-based dishes that are pretty common in Spain, such as paella de verduras, parrillada de verduras, gazpacho, patatas bravas, pan con tomate, etc.

Even if you don't see these on the menu, restaurant staff will often be able to make them for you if you ask. I haven't walked the Portugués yet, so I can't give specific recommendations. I had no trouble finding vegan food on the Camino Francés or the Camino Primitivo, though. The Camino de Madrid was trickier, but that was because it passes through a lot of tiny, dying towns with just a couple of hundred people living there. We learned to stock up at supermarkets whenever we passed through larger towns.

See the article and video linked in my signature below for more tips on eating veggie on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Pilgrims,

Thank you.

View attachment 55223

You DO realize that this is about 115 km... Three days... Dios mio!

Hi Pilgrims,

Thank you.

View attachment 55223
Buen Camino and we are vegetarians also :) thanks for your help and advice :) praying for you all

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've walked 4 Caminos being a vegetarian and I didn't find it difficult to find food or cook on the road. Depends how you define vegetarian although, some people in Spain and Portugal consider ham and chicken a vegetarian option, not to mention fish, seafood and eggs. As I like soups I usually tried to find out if the stalk is meat-based, as they could call it a veg soup on the menu. Pilgrim menue or menu del dia won't always do as many contain meat or fish, so I asked in the kitchen and I chose smth else what was available at the time. Last couple of Caminos I cooked in the albergues, last June the forests were full of wild mushrooms, so cooked for other pilgrims as well. Bom Caminho! :)

I've walked 4 Caminos being a vegetarian and I didn't find it difficult to find food or cook on the road. Depends how you define vegetarian although, some people in Spain and Portugal consider ham and chicken a vegetarian option, not to mention fish seafood and eggs. As I like soups I usually tried to find out if the stalk is meat-based, as they could call it a veg soup on the menu. Pilgrim menue or menu del dia won't always do as many contain meat or fish, so I asked in the kitchen and I chose smth else what was available at the time. Last couple of Caminos I cooked in the albergues, last June the forests were full of wild mushrooms, so cooked for other pilgrims as well. Bom Caminho! :)
thanks so much :) and yes with being vegetarian i have milk and eggs and cheese but not fish or chicken nd any meat products and love pasta.

What sauces do they have available for pasta?

What were the mushrooms like? and look like?

My wife will be in a support vehicle as she cant hike or bike but i plan to bike for 6 weeks from st jean to santiago to finisterre to muxia back to santiago

Feel free to tell me anything and ask anything

God bless Buen Camino

Glenn

i have milk and eggs and cheese but not fish or chicken nd any meat products and love pasta.

What sauces do they have available for pasta?

What were the mushrooms like? and look like?

i plan to bike for 6 weeks from st jean to santiago to finisterre to muxia back to santiago
There won't be any problems being a vegatarian on the French way, plenty of infrastructure there and a lot of food options. Mushrooms are typical European, like different kind of boletes/porchini and chanterelles, but last June was rainy, it wasn't their typical timing, so wouldn't rely on finding them any other time then late autumn. Re: pasta sauses, you can find pesto in the bottles in the supermarkets, not the same quality that I make myself at home but will do :) Don't normally go for pasta when eating out, so can't say about the sauses but when we cooked in the albergues everything available went in, pel-mel :) Ah, and I usually travel with some spices, that makes a huge difference! You might be tired of rice and potatoes on the Camino as they are everywhere so I take some less traditional grains for the road like buckwheat, millet and couscous. Bom Caminho! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There won't be any problems being a vegatarian on the French way, plenty of infrastructure there and a lot of food options. Mushrooms are typical European, like different kind of boletes/porchini and chanterelles, but last June was rainy, it wasn't their typical timing, so wouldn't rely on finding them any other time then late autumn. Re: pasta sauses, you can find pesto in the bottles in the supermarkets, not the same quality that I make myself at home but will do :) Don't normally go for pasta when eating out, so can't say about the sauses but when we cooked in the albergues everything available went in, pel-mel :) Ah, and I usually travel with some spices, that makes a huge difference! You might be tired of rice and potatoes on the Camino as they are everywhere so I take some less traditional grains for the road like buckwheat, millet and couscous. Bom Caminho! :)
Privet Surya thanks so much again for your email. I have never tried european mushrooms even when i was in uk ireland i never had them :) I am australian :) but my wife and i both love mushrooms :)
Thanks about the pesto that is our favourite sauce and yes we make our own at home also :)

unfortunatley i cant eat spices due to my times in asia.

Feel free to ask me anything

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.