• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarian eateries on the Camino francés

kdespot

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
Four days from taking off on my first Camino and I'm down to organizing a list of vegetarian restaurants in order of appearance. This information is a compilation of messages from the veterans who precede me. Thank you to all who contributed. Thought maybe other vegetarians might make use of the list, so here it is. Please feel free to correct my order of locations or other details and/or toss in some that aren't listed here.

* St Jean Pied de Port, Albergue Gita Ultriea (was told they have a good veggie meal)

* Albergue Orisson (between SJPP and Roncesvalles) serves vegetarian dishes

* Roncesvalles: La Posada

* On many folks' "Don't Miss It" list is Restaurante Sarasate in Pamplona. It is located just off the Plaza Mayor on Calle San Nicholas. They offer a mid-day menu Monday - Saturday, with a special price of 9.50 euros for pilgrims with the credential. Fantastic. It's entirely veggie.

* Albergue La Casa Mágica in Villatuerta offers vegetarian paella every night!
http://alberguevillatuerta.com/paellas- ... agica.html

* The Hogar Albergue in Villamayor Monjardin also do a freshly prepared vegetarian option.

* La Posada Vegetariana in Logroño does not now exist. Follow the arrows, however, and there is a decent Japanese place which will do veggie-vegan meals. Specify if you don't want egg in your rice. In addition to Spanish they speak English and obviously Japanese. Also in Logroño is rest./bar Los Delirios del Quijote.

* The first place you come to in Agés (just after St. Juan D Órtega) advertises a vegetarian and gluten free menu, don't know to what quality or extent. A new guidebook says this about Agés: "Albergue San Rafael, private, 10 beds, wifi, etc. Open all year, offers vegetarian and Celiac (gluten free) meals." The map shows that when entering the town, the albergue is immediately on your left hand side.

* In Burgos is restaurant Gaia, a superb vegan restaurant close to the cathedral. Restaurante Gaia at the back of the Cathedral in Burgos is an absolute MUST, totally vegan, good value and decent portions but only opens between 1-4.30pm and get there before 3pm as there's always a queue. Also In Burgos, Cardomomo Vegetariano restaurant, 20 minute walk from the cathedral on Calle Jesus Maria Ordono 3.

* In León, Someone mentioned an Indian restaurant on Camino path between the albergue and the catedral. (Didn't see it.)Does anyone have any info on this?

* In Villar de Mazarife, Albergue San Antonio de Padua, always vegetarian . (Pepe makes a veggie dinner, very good.)

* Hospital de Órbigo: Albergue Verde ecological albergue. (Great! Had a great vegan dinner with organic veggies from their garden). Wonderful hosts, hyper clean and powerful showers. Donativo communal. Vegetarian meals made with their own garden produce. See www.AlbergueVerde.es for more info.

* In Murias de Rechivaldo (after Astorga) is a bar that has a vegetarian menu. Note: there are mixed reviews about this place.

* Monte Irago in Foncebadon

* In Pieros (after Cacabelos) is a new, private vegetarian albergue, Serbal y de la Luna, just 2 km from Caccabelos -past the municipal -it's great -delicious food and warm welcome, clean comfortable beds and calm gentle atmosphere-it's a gem!

* The Brazilian albergue in Vega de la Valcarce serves lovely vega, macrobiotic meals. Their take-away was bliss, eaten half-way up the hill under an enormous chestnut tree.

* Ruitelán (somewhere between Villafranca del Bierzo - O Cebreiro): Refugio Pequeño Potala, serves dinners, including vegetarian options.

* Just before the climb to La Faba is this vegetarian albergue:
Albergue Las Herrerías https://www.facebook.com/Alberguelove.

* In La Faba is a vegetarian albergue

* Between Villafranco and O Cebreiro: Refugio Pequeño Potala has a veggie dinner.

* In Trabadelo, Bar y Pension El Puente Peregrino, mostly vegetarian with trout available for non-veg eaters.

* In A Balsa (1.5 kms after Triacastela towards San Xil), Albergue Ecologico El Beso, always vegetarian, on the way to San Xil is a must stop, eco friendly, run by two pilgrims who met on the camino and entirely veggie, set in beautiful (heavenly) woodland on the hills, wonderful welcoming atmosphere, heavenly location and fine food, eco friendly, one of my favourite stays, about 2k outside Triacastela on the way to San Xil.

* Paloma y Lena at San Mamed just before Sarria. Family run, so should be consistent veggie (getting good reviews).

* There is a Falafel bar in Melide just a few doors up from the private albergue called Pereiro (which also has a kitchen and is nice).

* In Santiago: A Tulla Ruela de Entrerruas, (several delicious veggie items), off of Rua du Vilar near Tourist Info. Office. Also Cedros restaurant in Santiago is EXCELLENT and has plenty of vegetarian options. The cuisine is Thai and is tasty, wholesome and well cooked.

A few other helpful tips:

When ordering a pilgrim meal there are often several vegetarian options for the first course, but rarely for the second course. I usually ordered two first courses; a mixed salad without the tuna for my first course and either a vegetarian soup (pumpkin, lentil, garlic) or pasta with tomato sauce from the first course menu as my second course.

I found this website: http://www.restaurantesvegetarianos.es/, which lists vegetarian restaurants in all of Spain.

¡Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi kdespot,

Thanks for the list. I used the Happy Cow app on my phone, always found local veg and vegan places. Odd Spanish opening hours were sometimes irritating, so always check on that. I occasionally became very hungry waiting for very late dinner opening times. In Leon, I went to bed instead of facing an expensive late vegan dinner and getting to bed on a full stomach at 11+pm!

My vegetarian diet while in Spain turned out to be OK but not as varied as I was accustomed to at home in Sydney, Australia. I anticipated this and took good quality iron tablets with me. When I got back I found out that I had been a bit Magnesium deficient while walking. I could have avoided some muscle soreness and stiffness by using a magnesium supplement.

Hi, thanks for an updated list!

Albergue Orisson (between SJPP and Roncesvalles) serves vegetarian dishes

Not exactly. They have a set menu, which everyone gets. If you are vegetarian, they will sort of cater for you. I was given a large mixed salad and ate the white bread as I was hungry. The first course was a meat-based soup (nothing for me). (This is why I don’t do demi-pension in France, if I can help it, because it is never value for money for vegetarians.)

Beware of the “lentil” soup in Spain, as it often has globules of pork fat in it.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In Leon there are several places you can visit but an absolute must visit is Bar Colibrin at Calle Fernando G. Regueral. It serves the best little plates of vegan or vegetarian food that are so much more than tapas, which is how they describe their food. Really delicious and a great bar. There is also L'union at Calle Florez de Lemos down by the river. Also i have to mention the Albergue La Pata de Oca in Torres del Rio....it has an amazing pilgrims menu with the best vegetarian options. Its a very stylish menu and fine restaurant worthy imo. This year was my 4th camino and i am so glad i walked the extra distance after Los Arcos to eat here lol. I also stayed at El Molino in Hornillos del Camino and they provided amazing vegetarian food on request that was varied and abundant!

I'm sure your list will be pretty useful for vegan pilgrims reading the forum. Two minor corrections you might make:

* Between Villafranco and O Cebreiro: Refugio Pequeño Potala has a veggie dinner

You quoted this one twice. On your other quote you say it's in Ruitelán in which case the other quote would be in the right place so you could delete this other one.

In Trabadelo, Bar y Pension El Puente Peregrino, mostly vegetarian with trout available for non-veg eaters.

This one should go right before the one you quote in Vega de Valcarce.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, thanks for the list Kdespot! This is fabby. And thanks for the Happy Cow app suggestion Mike.

I cook my vegetarian meal whenever possible if the Albergue has a working kitchen. After a few days of eating dried out bread with tomato during my first Camino, I started to bring a tiny package of curry to cook curried potatoes and chickpea, two ingredients that can be found in most of tiendas (potatoes + canned chickpeas, some milk + curry powder boiled until cooked). But after 10 days of curried potatoes, it got tired some. This list will open up some options for occasional dine out.

Albergue Verd at Hospital de Órbigo was great while I stayed there.

My Camino also starts in 4 days too! Buen Camino and see ya on the way!

My own experience of the vegetarian meal at Orisson: myself and one other vegetarian ate a tasty main dish prepared especially for us and purely vegetarian. Other courses were also available and as generous as the main course. No complaints.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here's a slightly tweaked version of the list posted earlier. I'm flying out tomorrow and will be walking out of SJPP on Saturday. Thanks for contributions! So excited I can't stop peeing in my pantalones!

* St Jean Pied de Port, Albergue Gita Ultriea (was told they have a good veggie meal)

* Albergue Orisson (between SJPP and Roncesvalles) will sort of accommodate vegetarians.

* On many folks' "Don't Miss It" list is Restaurante Sarasate in Pamplona. It is located just off the Plaza Mayor on Calle San Nicholas. They offer a mid-day menu Monday - Saturday, with a special price of 9.50 euros for pilgrims with the credential. Fantastic. It's entirely veggie.

* The Hogar Albergue in Villamayor Monjardin also does a freshly prepared vegetarian option.

* Albergue La Pata de Oca in Torres del Rio has an amazing pilgrims menu with the best vegetarian options. It's a very stylish menu and fine restaurant. This year was my 4th camino and I'm so glad I walked the extra distance after Los Arcos to eat here.

* La Posada Vegetariana in Logroño does not now exist. Follow the arrows, however, and there is a decent Japanese place which will do veggie-vegan meals. Specify if you don't want egg in your rice. In addition to Spanish they speak English and obviously Japanese. Also in Logroño is rest./bar Los Delirios del Quijote.

* The first place you come to in Agés (just after St. Juan D Órtega) advertises a vegetarian and gluten free menu, don't know to what quality or extent. A new guidebook says this about Agés: "Albergue San Rafael, private, 10 beds, wifi, etc. Open all year, offers vegetarian and Celiac (gluten free) meals." The map shows that when entering the town, the albergue is immediately on your left hand side.

* In Burgos is restaurant Gaia, a superb vegan restaurant close to the cathedral. Restaurante Gaia at the back of the Cathedral in Burgos is an absolute MUST, totally vegan, good value and decent portions but only opens between 1-4.30pm and get there before 3pm as there's always a queue. Also In Burgos, Cardomomo Vegetariano restaurant, 20 minute walk from the cathedral on Calle Jesus Maria Ordono 3.

* La Mochila albergue /restaurant in Itero de la Vega has vegan meals.

* I stayed at El Molino in Hornillos del Camino and they provided amazing vegetarian food on request that was varied and abundant!

* In León there are several places you can visit but an absolute must visit is Bar Colibrin at Calle Fernando G. Regueral. It serves the best little plates of vegan or vegetarian food that are so much more than tapas, which is how they describe their food. Really delicious and a great bar. There is also L'union at Calle Florez de Lemos down by the river. Someone mentioned an Indian restaurant on Camino path between the albergue and the cathedral. (Didn't see it.) Does anyone have any info on this?

* In Villar de Mazarife, Albergue San Antonio de Padua, always vegetarian . (Pepe makes a veggie dinner, very good.)

* Hospital de Órbigo: Albergue Verde ecological albergue. (Great! Had a great vegan dinner with organic veggies from their garden). Wonderful hosts, hyper clean and powerful showers. Donativo communal. Vegetarian meals made with their own garden produce. See www.AlbergueVerde.es for more info.

* In Murias de Rechivaldo (after Astorga) is a bar that has a vegetarian menu. Note: there are mixed reviews about this place.

* In Pieros (after Cacabelos) is a new, private vegetarian albergue, Serbal y de la Luna, just 2 km from Caccabelos -past the municipal -it's great -delicious food and warm welcome, clean comfortable beds and calm gentle atmosphere-it's a gem!

* The Brazilian albergue in Vega de la Valcarce serves lovely vega, macrobiotic meals. Their take-away was bliss, eaten half-way up the hill under an enormous chestnut tree.

* Ruitelán (somewhere between Villafranca del Bierzo - O Cebreiro): Refugio Pequeño Potala, serves dinners, including vegetarian options.

* In Trabadelo, Bar y Pension El Puente Peregrino, mostly vegetarian with trout available for non-veg eaters.

* In A Balsa (1.5 kms after Triacastela towards San Xil), Albergue Ecologico El Beso, always vegetarian, on the way to San Xil is a must stop, eco friendly, run by two pilgrims who met on the camino and entirely veggie, set in beautiful (heavenly) woodland on the hills, wonderful welcoming atmosphere, heavenly location and fine food, eco friendly, one of my favourite stays, about 2k outside Triacastela on the way to San Xil.

* Paloma y Lena at San Mamed just before Sarria. Family run, so should be consistent veggie (getting good reviews).

* There is a Falafel bar in Melide just a few doors up from the private albergue called Pereiro (which also has a kitchen and is nice).

* In Santiago: A Tulla Ruela de Entrerruas, (several delicious veggie items), off of Rua du Vilar near Tourist Info. Office. Also Cedros restaurant in Santiago is EXCELLENT and has plenty of vegetarian options. The cuisine is Thai and is tasty, wholesome and well cooked.

When ordering a pilgrim meal there are often several vegetarian options for the first course, but rarely for the second course. I usually ordered two first courses; a mixed salad without the tuna for my first course and either a vegetarian soup (pumpkin, lentil, garlic) or pasta with tomato sauce from the first course menu as my second course.

I found this website: http://www.restaurantesvegetarianos.es/, which lists vegetarian restaurants in all of Spain.

¡Buen camino!

Hi all

I will write a post after my Camino Primitivo about veggie options.
Glad I have the Happy Cow app and can cook but let´s see what I can convince owners of bars and restaurants to prepare for me.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all

I will write a post after my Camino Primitivo about veggie options.
Glad I have the Happy Cow app and can cook but let´s see what I can convince owners of bars and restaurants to prepare for me.

Buen Camino
Michael,

Have a great walking experience. I've just started doing some yoga to try to remedy a mild case of plantar fasciitis in both feet after walking the full C Frances. My doctor is a very sharp woman and recommended a very specific kind of remedial yoga (It's extremely strenuous so I expect it will strengthen my feet). I was skeptical at first but the yoga is going very well. It'll take a good few months but I'm determined to get rid of the orthotic inner sole which is rock hard and made my feet sore towards the end of the 800kms. When I told my doc about increasing muscle stiffness developing gradually each day after about 4 hours, she just said one word: "magnesium".

The new yoga teacher had me doing a variety of flexing exercises as she sorted out a set of remedies. She had to position one of my legs and was startled at how developed my leg muscles were - she said they felt "like steel". Shortly after that she said I'd probably have a hard time stretching my hamstrings as I have apparently become some kind of cyborg as my hamstrings have also turned to steel.

A ridiculously long walk is stressful but the health benefits are certainly there too. I never used oral Ibuprofen as it raises blood pressure. Mine is normal but I didn't want to risk it.

Buen Camino

Michael,

Have a great walking experience. I've just started doing some yoga to try to remedy a mild case of plantar fasciitis in both feet after walking the full C Frances. My doctor is a very sharp woman and recommended a very specific kind of remedial yoga (It's extremely strenuous so I expect it will strengthen my feet). I was skeptical at first but the yoga is going very well. It'll take a good few months but I'm determined to get rid of the orthotic inner sole which is rock hard and made my feet sore towards the end of the 800kms. When I told my doc about increasing muscle stiffness developing gradually each day after about 4 hours, she just said one word: "magnesium".

The new yoga teacher had me doing a variety of flexing exercises as she sorted out a set of remedies. She had to position one of my legs and was startled at how developed my leg muscles were - she said they felt "like steel". Shortly after that she said I'd probably have a hard time stretching my hamstrings as I have apparently become some kind of cyborg as my hamstrings have also turned to steel.

A ridiculously long walk is stressful but the health benefits are certainly there too. I never used oral Ibuprofen as it raises blood pressure. Mine is normal but I didn't want to risk it.

Buen Camino

Hi Mike

Thank you and I believe that the magnesium intake is no problem for me as I love spinach and almonds....makes a great salad too.

I am vegetarian for many years and vegan for 2 years. I travelled quite a lot in Spain as I loved in Madrid for six years and love and know what to cook. The big challenge I find though is to convince bar owners to prepare something for me that has no fish as they always believe that as I don´t eat meat, a bit of tuna won´t do me any harm.

Un saludo
Michael

Four days from taking off on my first Camino and I'm down to organizing a list of vegetarian restaurants in order of appearance. This information is a compilation of messages from the veterans who precede me. Thank you to all who contributed. Thought maybe other vegetarians might make use of the list, so here it is. Please feel free to correct my order of locations or other details and/or toss in some that aren't listed here.

* The Hogar Albergue in Villamayor Monjardin also do a freshly prepared vegetarian option.

* In León, Someone mentioned an Indian restaurant on Camino path between the albergue and the catedral. (Didn't see it.)Does anyone have any info on this?

* Between Villafranco and O Cebreiro: Refugio Pequeño Potala has a veggie dinner.

¡Buen camino!
We also found the following places:
Viskarrett Corazon Puro 24 hours notice
Zubiri - Ogi Berri Cafe del Camino arranged a vegan meal for us on arrival
Lorca - Albergue Jose Ramon - vegan meal on request
Hontanas - the second or third albergue on the left. It's run by a really great couple. They do a communal meal with a vegan option.
Carrion de los Condes - Hostal la Corte - Great grilled vegetables plus salads and pasta.
Vilafranca de Bierzo - Resaturant Sevilla - selection of pizzas served without cheese on request.
Fonfria - Albergue Reboleira - communal meal with vegan option
Vilacha - Casa Banderas - vegan option on request. also Los Andantes (closed when we were there)
Melide - Casa Alongos do an excellent vegan Burger
Santiago - Highly recommend Malak (expensive but a real treat) and also the marvellous Entre Pedras.

Hope this helps

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi kdespot and others
Thanks so much for this list. Great stuff and perfect timing as we start our Camino the day after tomorrow.

Burn Camino all.

¡Buen camino!
Thank you so much for this!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
excellent list ,unfortunately my recent trip was budget so most food was from shops (this can sometimes be nearly as expensive i suppose) some of the communal meals were veggie but lacked protein as they had just left the sausage out ! trying to remember the exception where it was lentil and spaghetti for everyone .

My own experience of the vegetarian meal at Orisson: myself and one other vegetarian ate a tasty main dish prepared especially for us and purely vegetarian. Other courses were also available and as generous as the main course. No complaints.

@Albertagirl (or anyone else who happens to still follow this thread) - Did you have to request a vegetarian meal at Orisson in advance, or were you able to do so when you arrived? I just received confirmation of my booking for next May. Very excited!

@Albertagirl (or anyone else who happens to still follow this thread) - Did you have to request a vegetarian meal at Orisson in advance, or were you able to do so when you arrived? I just received confirmation of my booking for next May. Very excited!
I did not request a vegetarian meal before my arrival. When I told the staff at Orisson that I required a vegetarian meal, I was told to sit in a particular place, where the vegetarian main course would be served. There was more food than I would expect to be served to a couple of (potentially) very hungry vegetarians. I guess that they made lots, to be sure to have enough. But that was in 2015. I have no idea what the procedure might be now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.