• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarian in Roncesvalles

Peronel

A quick query... can the restaurants in Roncsevalles cope with a vegetarian? If I have to, I can carry dinner over the Pyrenees, but I'd rather not!

Thank you

Peronel

(Bag is packed - it's all become real - hence the flurry of posts!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
food-on-the-camino-de-santiago/topic4163.html

A whole thread about vegatarian food on the CF.
It's doable but you will have to be creative. I noticed that in alot of spanish restos ham isn't really considered meat... :wink:
Also take into consideration that even non meat soups will most probably will be prepared with beef/chicken stock.

Thank you. I've read that thread, and have travelled enough in Spain to be aware of the issues. I'm quite prepared to buy ingredients and cook for myself when I have to. But my understanding is that the only food options in Ronscevalles are a couple of restaurants where you book a sitting for the pilgrim meal when you get into town. So its whether they do veggie food or not.

If not, I'll lug my dinner from St Jean, but I'd rather not carry the extra weight through the pass unless I have to.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First night for me was in Roncesvalles, stayed in hostal La Posada, didn't have the menu. Ordered a bocadillo con queso and some cold tortilla in their bar for the day after when I started walking. Also they have enough mueslibars /choccies in their small tienda to keep you going till Burguete.

if you eat eggs and dairy most places will be able to make an omelet and fries if asked, sometimes they can even go advanced and add potatoes or chese to the omelet and a salad on the side :D

The albergue in Roncevalles has a new, ultra modern kitchen with numerous cookers, pots and pans. If you decide to bring food along with you there will be little issue in cooking it. However, most restaurants offer an 'ensalada mixta'. Ask for this sin atún (without tuna) or sin pescado (without fish) and you will get a green salad with olives, lettuce and other ingredients.

Another option mentioned is a tortilla patata which is a potato omlette with eggs, potatoes and onions. Very common and found in most bars and restaurants.

You can buy jars of ready cooked chick peas (garbanzos), lentils (lentejas) and other pulses in the small supermarkets found in most small towns. They cost about 50c or so.

Don't remember seeing a shop in Roncevalles but then I arrived late on a Sunday and didn't feel very much like cooking so I went to the restaurant and reserved dinner instead.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for the info. I'm a vegetarian and limit my egg, fish and cheese consumption. I plan on walking in september/october. Protein is a big issue so i'll be looking for beans, rice and fresh greens. I'm hoping to grow my own sprouts as I walk. I have had success with that hiking. If anyone knows of any vegetarian cafes in any towns that would be a great help. Also any place to buy organically grown produce. Thank you all.

Remember that there is almost always other choices than the Menu de Pelegrino.
We often tend to just talk about that.
The locals tend to order the Menu del Dia which runs very little more than the Pilgrim menu.
It is usually much more varied and worth checking out.
In addition there are almost always many salads and other normal vegetarian items.

You are not locked into the pilgrim menu. It is just usually a bit cheaper.

When I was in Roncesvalles in July 2012, restaurant La Posada offered a vegetarian option for the pilgrim menu. It was tortilla de patatas with some french fries and a salad. As a starter they had spaghetti without meat for the vegetarians. It was simple, but it was good. They understood what you meant by 'vegetarian', but be sure to tell them when you make a reservation in the afternoon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi
Roncevalles has no shop ! It seems to have a few bars, three I think, and you have to reserve at one that takes your fancy for supper.
If you eat fish , trout was on the menu. There was tortilla and salad as well.
I'm sure you'll find something you can eat.
Buen camino :D

Salads with no meat or pasta dishes. Sometimes great heaping bowls of beans with pork that you can take out.

Roncesvalles offering a vegetarian option is new. When I was there in June they was very unaccommodating. I could get something really late and I wasn't allowed to sit at a table anywhere. Maybe my complaints on the matter made them tired and they changed their ways... :D

Pieces said:
Roncesvalles offering a vegetarian option is new.
There are now three dining rooms serving a pilgrim's menu, so at least there is a choice. Unfortunately, though, the vegetarian options in Roncesvalles seem to be limited to ensalada mista (sin atun), penne pasta with tomato sauce, or tortilla (egg and potato pie-like dish). Filling and sort of tasty, but not good value when the price is the same as the meat-eater's special.

Pieces said:
Roncesvalles offering a vegetarian option is new. When I was there in June they was very unaccommodating. I could get something really late and I wasn't allowed to sit at a table anywhere. Maybe my complaints on the matter made them tired and they changed their ways... :D
Then thank you for complaining

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back