Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Vegetarian Meals

Diana@NS

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese from Tui-Santiago(may2017)
Will I be having difficulty to find readily available vegetarian dishes along my trek from Tui to Santiago?

A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
A

Anemone del Camino

If you use the search engine, top right of the screen, you will finds lots of info on this and tips and tricks so you don't put your health at risk.

AML

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept 2013
Norte/Primitivo May/June 2014
Vasco del Interior/ Burgos - Leon/Del Salvador/Primitivo May/June 2015
Ourense - Santiago Sept 2015
Camino Ingles Sept 2015
Porto-SDC Sept/Oct 2016
Will I be having difficulty to find readily available vegetarian dishes along my trek from Tui to Santiago?
I can recommend a nice little vegetarian restaurant called Paprika Lartenda in O'Porrino. Its in centre of town, on el camino, 5 min walk to Xunta albergue.
Bom Caminho, Bom appetite

D

Deleted member 43985

How people define vegetarian is often different so a clarification may be helpful. Are you looking for strict vegetarian (vegan) food or, as many in North America do who call themselves Vegetarians do, are you looking for places with fish and eggs as well as vegan food (I've come to accept this distinction but have never understood it :confused:)!

If it is the latter you will have no challenges at at and good variety.

If it's the former your choices will be far fewer but not non-existent. There are usually great soups (but may be made with non-vegan ingredients like chicken or beef broth so ask first if that's important to you), some salads, pasta dishes that can be non-meat adapted, always French fries and lots of fruit at Tiendas along the way. It may not be fancy but you will be able to find what you need to survive! Buen Camino, Jordon.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
@jozero The terminology is usually like this:

ovo-lacto (sp?) vegetarian - Doesn't eat any meat but does eat egg (products) and mil (products)
vegetarian - doesn't eat any animal products like fish or meat or sea food
vegan - doesn't eat nor use any products that proceeded from an animal, including leather, honey and the like

To the OP:

Your best bet, if not speaking Spanish, is preparing a laminated flash card stating your dietary preferences and showing it to the waiter/shop keeper. In your case (assuming ovo-lacto vegetarian) that could read:

Soy vegetariano/a, no como carne, ni panceta, ni marisco, ni pescado. Me puede recomendar algo?
I am a vegetarian. I don't eat meat nor bacon, nor seafood, not fish. Can you recommend some dish for me.

Buen Camino, SY

PS There are a 'few' Spanish vegetarians around also, so it isn't an out of this world problem ...

A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Most 'menu peregrino's offer mixed salad (insalata mixta) which is fine for veggies/vegans as long as you specify 'no tuna' (sin atun). Even if you say you are vegetarian and you don't eat meat or fish, you'll still be served tuna as part of your salad!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads