• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarian Meals

Diana@NS

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese from Tui-Santiago(may2017)
Will I be having difficulty to find readily available vegetarian dishes along my trek from Tui to Santiago?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you use the search engine, top right of the screen, you will finds lots of info on this and tips and tricks so you don't put your health at risk.

Will I be having difficulty to find readily available vegetarian dishes along my trek from Tui to Santiago?
I can recommend a nice little vegetarian restaurant called Paprika Lartenda in O'Porrino. Its in centre of town, on el camino, 5 min walk to Xunta albergue.
Bom Caminho, Bom appetite

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How people define vegetarian is often different so a clarification may be helpful. Are you looking for strict vegetarian (vegan) food or, as many in North America do who call themselves Vegetarians do, are you looking for places with fish and eggs as well as vegan food (I've come to accept this distinction but have never understood it :confused:)!

If it is the latter you will have no challenges at at and good variety.

If it's the former your choices will be far fewer but not non-existent. There are usually great soups (but may be made with non-vegan ingredients like chicken or beef broth so ask first if that's important to you), some salads, pasta dishes that can be non-meat adapted, always French fries and lots of fruit at Tiendas along the way. It may not be fancy but you will be able to find what you need to survive! Buen Camino, Jordon.

@jozero The terminology is usually like this:

ovo-lacto (sp?) vegetarian - Doesn't eat any meat but does eat egg (products) and mil (products)
vegetarian - doesn't eat any animal products like fish or meat or sea food
vegan - doesn't eat nor use any products that proceeded from an animal, including leather, honey and the like

To the OP:

Your best bet, if not speaking Spanish, is preparing a laminated flash card stating your dietary preferences and showing it to the waiter/shop keeper. In your case (assuming ovo-lacto vegetarian) that could read:

Soy vegetariano/a, no como carne, ni panceta, ni marisco, ni pescado. Me puede recomendar algo?
I am a vegetarian. I don't eat meat nor bacon, nor seafood, not fish. Can you recommend some dish for me.

Buen Camino, SY

PS There are a 'few' Spanish vegetarians around also, so it isn't an out of this world problem ...

Most 'menu peregrino's offer mixed salad (insalata mixta) which is fine for veggies/vegans as long as you specify 'no tuna' (sin atun). Even if you say you are vegetarian and you don't eat meat or fish, you'll still be served tuna as part of your salad!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.