• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Vegetarian Meals

Diana@NS

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese from Tui-Santiago(may2017)
Will I be having difficulty to find readily available vegetarian dishes along my trek from Tui to Santiago?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you use the search engine, top right of the screen, you will finds lots of info on this and tips and tricks so you don't put your health at risk.

Will I be having difficulty to find readily available vegetarian dishes along my trek from Tui to Santiago?
I can recommend a nice little vegetarian restaurant called Paprika Lartenda in O'Porrino. Its in centre of town, on el camino, 5 min walk to Xunta albergue.
Bom Caminho, Bom appetite

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How people define vegetarian is often different so a clarification may be helpful. Are you looking for strict vegetarian (vegan) food or, as many in North America do who call themselves Vegetarians do, are you looking for places with fish and eggs as well as vegan food (I've come to accept this distinction but have never understood it :confused:)!

If it is the latter you will have no challenges at at and good variety.

If it's the former your choices will be far fewer but not non-existent. There are usually great soups (but may be made with non-vegan ingredients like chicken or beef broth so ask first if that's important to you), some salads, pasta dishes that can be non-meat adapted, always French fries and lots of fruit at Tiendas along the way. It may not be fancy but you will be able to find what you need to survive! Buen Camino, Jordon.

@jozero The terminology is usually like this:

ovo-lacto (sp?) vegetarian - Doesn't eat any meat but does eat egg (products) and mil (products)
vegetarian - doesn't eat any animal products like fish or meat or sea food
vegan - doesn't eat nor use any products that proceeded from an animal, including leather, honey and the like

To the OP:

Your best bet, if not speaking Spanish, is preparing a laminated flash card stating your dietary preferences and showing it to the waiter/shop keeper. In your case (assuming ovo-lacto vegetarian) that could read:

Soy vegetariano/a, no como carne, ni panceta, ni marisco, ni pescado. Me puede recomendar algo?
I am a vegetarian. I don't eat meat nor bacon, nor seafood, not fish. Can you recommend some dish for me.

Buen Camino, SY

PS There are a 'few' Spanish vegetarians around also, so it isn't an out of this world problem ...

Most 'menu peregrino's offer mixed salad (insalata mixta) which is fine for veggies/vegans as long as you specify 'no tuna' (sin atun). Even if you say you are vegetarian and you don't eat meat or fish, you'll still be served tuna as part of your salad!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back