• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarian on the Portuguese Camino

Val H

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2018)
Any suggestions for vegetarian food I can buy in cafes? (No meat, no fish)
Happy to buy bread and cheese and salad, but wondering about some hot meals ...
Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My daughter ate a lot of omelettes, egg sandwiches, french fries, patata brava, tortilla, salads, pasta with various non-meat sauces, pizza. We walked the coast from Porto and then switched to the central after 4 days.

We met a pelegrino who was a vegetarian, some options were: tortilla patata (if you eat eggs), plata queso or not sure how its spelled (cheese plates), Padron peppers, tomato salad, mixed salad, pizza, however, menu del dia mostly included fish or meat, but sometimes, there was no problem just to order some fries and sides :) For breakfast - not so healthy options as churros and so on.
To add up - not directly answering about restaurant stuff, but food related. At least we loved to hit a local fruteria instead of supermarket for veggies and fruits as soon as we got to a town, buy some fruits, veggies and maybe even some cheese in the supermarket as for a cheaper option than eating in a restaurant (the whole feast for 2 people with dinner and breakfast would be around 7 euros). Also fruit and vegetable quality in Spain was amazing.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Iberia, meat or carne means beef / red meat. Hence, chicken, fish, and pork are NOT meat, per se. So, a person so inclined (vegetarian) must be diligent. Even a soup dish may have bits of sausage floating around in it. Just sayin...

Others have done it. It is not easy. But, it is not impossible either. I wish you well...

Hope this helps.

Any suggestions for vegetarian food I can buy in cafes? (No meat, no fish)
Happy to buy bread and cheese and salad, but wondering about some hot meals ...
Thanks.
Lentil soup is often available and salad mista and tortilla.

Yes, lentil soup is available, and frequently delicious. However, each lentil soup I have had on any Camino, typically has tiny bits of chorizo sausage floating in it. Just be aware if it bothers you.

Incidentally, the sausage DOES impart a delicious flavor. I am not vegetarian. Actually I HATE vegetables, I have done so my entire life, but that is my bad.

But I do appreciate plain food and home-type cooking done well. Across Spain and Portugal, the lentil soup or Sopa de Abuela (grandmother's soup) are typically the best. But if you eschew meat of all types, it is caveat emptor...

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, lentil soup is available, and frequently delicious. However, each lentil soup I have had on any Camino, typically has tiny bits of chorizo sausage floating in it. Just be aware if it bothers you.

Incidentally, the sausage DOES impart a delicious flavor. I am not vegetarian. Actually I HATE vegetables, I have done so my entire life, but that is my bad.

But I do appreciate plain food and home-type cooking done well. Across Spain and Portugal, the lentil soup or Sopa de Abuela (grandmother's soup) are typically the best. But if you eschew meat of all types, it is caveat emptor...

Hope this helps.
Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.