• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarian Restaurants Sarria to Santiago

ManiBaskaran

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi, do you have suggestions for restaurants from Sarria to Santiago? Please let me know - thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sadly you may find, that Vegetarian is not really much of a 'thing' in Spain.
It's kinda 'old School'...
To the extent that Tuna is seen as a salad 'topping'.

Good luck :oops:
Love your contributions in general Robo, but this is not really helpful.

Of course it's a thing.

One in 10 Spaniards is vegetarian or vegan and trend is increasing, says study
Vegans on the rise – why Spaniards are turning away from meat

Typical vegetarian dishes that are very widely available in Spain include paella de verduras, parrillada de verduras, tortilla de patatas, patatas bravas, gazpacho and other soups, etc. And that's just at standard restaurants. Then there are vegetarian and/or vegan restaurants, and there are seven of these just in Santiago, for example.

For @ManiBaskaran, my favourite veg places in Santiago are Green House, Entre Pedras and Porta Verde.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Of course it's a thing.

Typical vegetarian dishes that are very widely available in Spain include paella de verduras, parrillada de verduras, tortilla de patatas, patatas bravas, gazpacho and other soups, etc. And that's just at standard restaurants. Then there are vegetarian and/or vegan restaurants, and there are seven of these just in Santiago, for example.

For @ManiBaskaran, my favourite veg places in Santiago are Green House, Entre Pedras and Porta Verde.
Well taken. Since I first started my walk on Camino Frances six years ago, I have seen an increasing number of restaurants along the way making vegetarian options available as part of their menu. In bigger cities like Pamplona, Burgos and Leon the number of vegetarian restaurants has been increasing as well. I tried some of them out and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dishes which can rival some of the best anywhere.

Good luck! They have written some good answers above! My wife is Vegan, and I Vegetarian, sometimes I cheat a little, but she doesn’t. On our Camino it was very har finding vegetarian options, we had a lot of salads and pasta. We purchased bread and tomatoes, lettuce and made sandwiches with olive oil, salt and pepper. At times we were lucky to find vegetarian paella, lentils or beans soup which you need to remove ham in it. If you’re a purist this won’t work. Because my wife was a vegan, she didn’t eat the tortillas (omelette) but they were delicious! There’s a super nice pizza place in Saria, can’t remember name, it’s up the Camino road on the left. Hope this helps! Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Most restaurants between Sarria and Santiago tend to have fewer vegetarian options. You will need to ask them about if they could suggest options. Most of them they will go out of their way to accommodate your request.

Also you cannot go wrong with items such as Spanish Omelette or Galician soup, or Stir Fried Peppers.

Hi, do you have suggestions for restaurants from Sarria to Santiago? Please let me know - thank you
Here is a piece that you find useful.

Most restaurants between Sarria and Santiago tend to have fewer vegetarian options. You will need to ask them about if they could suggest options. Most of them they will go out of their way to accommodate your request.

Also you cannot go wrong with items such as Spanish Omelette or Galician soup, or Stir Fried Peppers.
Caldo gallego or galician soup tends to be made with a ham bone

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Typical vegetarian dishes that are very widely available in Spain include paella de verduras, parrillada de verduras, tortilla de patatas, patatas bravas, gazpacho and other soups, etc.
Hi @ManiBaskaran
Some good suggestions here, but really it sometimes can come down to your own. personal creativity with the materials at hand, if you don’t see what you want on the menu. In O Pedrouzo a joint effort between me and the chef (the only ones in the cafe at that time of day) resulted in a memorably satisfying dinner (after the olives and a glass of Mencia) of a pile of baked potato wedges and dipping sauces, along with some lovely pimientos de perdón.
I rarely leave town without some Manchego cheese and some bread, and maybe a little jar of piquillo pimientos for a road meal. I know dairy’s not strict veg, but at least I’m fairly sure of what I’m eating.

All the best for a wonderful walk
Paul

‘Taste the Way’ in OPedruso is great! We had a nice meal there in July this year and bought a great t shirt as a reminder. Also in Santiago, ‘Cafe Clem’ is a great little place but only opens till 4pm.(see photos of our meal). It’s on happy cow so check it out and get the address, but we passed it on our way in towards the cathedral.
We had no problems finding vegan or vegetarian along the way. Good luck and Buen Camino

Attachments

• B417889B-777B-4B1B-9B1D-0EF39492E18C.jpeg
    B417889B-777B-4B1B-9B1D-0EF39492E18C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • CF6D2C0E-213C-4B23-8B28-0B9589FCFE24.jpeg
    CF6D2C0E-213C-4B23-8B28-0B9589FCFE24.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 173414F9-CA73-4D26-BF5B-1E75EB07BEA9.jpeg
    173414F9-CA73-4D26-BF5B-1E75EB07BEA9.jpeg
    864 KB · Views: 4
  • 95E4AD33-2EB8-4FF7-9876-06653BA3DE55.jpeg
    95E4AD33-2EB8-4FF7-9876-06653BA3DE55.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • AF1B1039-52A7-4F4E-BD56-D92794FB57E9.jpeg
    AF1B1039-52A7-4F4E-BD56-D92794FB57E9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 6CFD61C4-0369-43B4-822E-D8DDB5B1ACE7.jpeg
    6CFD61C4-0369-43B4-822E-D8DDB5B1ACE7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Of course it's a thing.

I shall consider myself admonished @jungleboy :oops:

Sadly you may find, that Vegetarian is not really much of a 'thing' in Spain.
It's kinda 'old School'...
To the extent that Tuna is seen as a salad 'topping'.
A restaurant in Los Arcos had a list of sandwiches with names. Going down the list, each item had something added to the previous. I don't remember the order, but there was ham, cheese, eggs, other meats. The name of the last one on the list (on the English version) was "vegetarian" which added lettuce to all the meat, egg, and cheese! (Google Translate fails again)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back