• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarian?

ll1

Time of past OR future Camino
I am inquiring about any challenges anyone has had finding food for a vegetarian along the Camino Francis.
Thank you in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Search the forum using the term "vegetarian" lots of ideas and threads there!

Lots of vegetarian food for sale in shops and markets, vegetarian meals in restaurants.... well, variable, from NOT to brilliant, more not, than brilliant....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Search the forum using the term "vegetarian" lots of ideas and threads there!

Lots of vegetarian food for sale in shops and markets, vegetarian meals in restaurants.... well, variable, from NOT to brilliant, more not, than brilliant....
Thank you.

As a vegetarian, I found restaurant meals rather challenging. Where there was little or no choice, it was problematical. For example, on one occasion the first course at the only restaurant in town was green beans (habichuelas) which arrived mixed with large amounts of ham (jamon). This was my first restaurant meal in Galicia, where the albergues have kitchens, but no pots or dishes. You can say "No como carne" - "I don't eat meat" but they do not always categorize as meat what we would. Try to specify: "Soy vegetariano/a (masculine/feminine form), no como carne" when you inquire about the menu and before you order anything. It helps if you are willing to eat fish in a pinch, as I am. Plan ahead to cook for yourself where there is a kitchen. Bear in mind that an apparently innocuous dish, such as ensalada mixta (mixed salad) is likely to have large amounts of tuna in it. You can say "Sin atun (tuna) por favor" (Without tuna, please). Where there are vegetarian restaurants, they are likely to be at least as expensive as regular restaurants. Albergues which supply meals for pilgrims sometimes understand what you mean by vegetarian and sometimes do not. For example, if most of the chorizo (sausage) has been picked out of the communal dish, they may consider it perfectly fine for a vegetarian. Plan ahead and keep your sense of humour.

Last edited:
As a vegetarian, I found restaurant meals rather challenging. Where there was little or no choice, it was problematical. For example, on one occasion the first course at the only restaurant in town was green beans (habichuelas) which arrived mixed with large amounts of ham (jamon). This was my first restaurant meal in Galicia, where the albergues have kitchens, but no pots or dishes. You can say "No como carne" - "I don't eat meat" but they do not always categorize as meat what we would. Try to specify: "Soy vegetariano/a (masculine/feminine form), no como carne" when you inquire about the menu and before you order anything. It helps if you are willing to eat fish in a pinch, as I am. Plan ahead to cook for yourself where there is a kitchen. Bear in mind that an apparently innocuous dish, such as ensalada mixta (mixed salad) is likely to have large amounts of tuna in it. You can say "Sin atun (tuna) por favor" (Without tuna, please). Where there are vegetarian restaurants, they are likely to be at least as expensive as regular restaurants. Albergues which supply meals for pilgrims sometimes understand what you mean by vegetarian and sometimes do not. For example, if most of the chorizo (sausage) has been picked out of the communal dish, they may consider it perfectly fine for a vegetarian. Plan ahead and keep your sense of humour.
Thank you for your detailed information. Your words seem to echo most of what I see on previous posts.. I always get by....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My mother and I are vegetarians too and when we wanted to eat at a restaurant last year on the CF, most of the time they offered us one of three dishes: Tortilla (I couldn't eat it anymore after a week), pasta or ensalada mixta (if they made it without tuna). But if you keep your eyes open, you can find some places with great vegetarian meals, for example I remember an albergue in Foncebadón and one in La Faba (we found them thanks to our guide book) and I'm sure there were more. And of course there are always shops where you can buy what you need to cook your own meal.

Hi I am on the Camino as we speak, for vegetarian meals as stated earlier they are a challenge. I met two people who were vegetarians just yesterday: they told me it's been challenging to say the least. They frequently eat canned beans, like garbanzos, white beans, kidney beans etc which are very available in small marcados. There are many excellent bean soups but they most all have pork, ham, ham stock and bones in them. Great to me but not for mainstream vegetarians.
Lettuces and other things are up and down, in large cities yes. You mostly hit those once a week average.
Small town markets have very limited choices on many things. Great breads, cheeses, local peppers, onions yes. You can do the Camino as a non meat eater but it will take some planning.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am inquiring about any challenges anyone has had finding food for a vegetarian along the Camino Francis.
Thank you in advance.
I am having no problem despite speaking no Spanish. Most places understand and will provide a meal with no meat. Variety is an issue though.

You may find the following phrases helpful:

Soy vegetariano.
Yo no como carne o pescado .
Jamon no es un vegetal.
Pollo no es un vegetal.
Percebes no son verduras.
Sólo una ensalada para mí.
Atun no es una planta de ensalada.
Voy a tener el plato de judias.
Chorizo no son judías .
Una botella de brandy por favor.

I particularly like the last line.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is where the guidebooks come in handy, they list the towns that have supermercados so you can shop for food to fit your dietary needs.
"Oh, you don't need a guidebook," you do if you have a special diet......

Vegan an vegetarian is possible, but mostly by buying in the markets. In a restaurant, even vegetables are likely cooked with meat. You can ask, but the answer may not be accurate.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back