• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarianism on the Camino

M

Mike Trebert

I'm a vegetarian heading off on my first Camino Frances in 3 weeks. I leave SJPDP on March 26th. I'm told that Spain is a very carnivorous country. I've located plenty of vegetarian restaurants in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago De C. and I have an app on my phone which lists vego restaurants everywhere (except small towns!).

I wonder how many of you are vegos or vegans and whether you have any earth-shattering tales to tell.

Thanks and Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Spanish restaurants have progressed tremendously in all things vegetarian these past five years. You will still find, here and there the (in)famous vegetable soup with bits of chorizo floating by - not an attempt to pull one over, it is considered vegetable soup. Same can be said for lentils (lentejas), often offered as a soup or rather pottage. The hint? Chorizos are filled with smoked red paprika and will leave reddish "eyes" of fat floating on the surface. March 25 and you will be hitting snail (caracol!!!) season! Not hard to observe the Spanish out collecting them in the fields far from the roads, a future escargot which has crossed asphalt is not considered edible since it is believed that it will taste like tar. You may find them popping up in soups or salads. Plenty of Chinese restaurants in the larger cities along the way - not exactly Chinese but not North American either, can be a fun change.My favorite? Matias Locanda Italiana: an albergue and restaurant located in Sarria at the top of the hill as you leave, good vegetarian and vegan choices well marked on the menu, yes Italian style with very friendly people looks like 1968 inside.

Spanish restaurants have progressed tremendously in all things vegetarian these past five years. You will still find, here and there the (in)famous vegetable soup with bits of chorizo floating by - not an attempt to pull one over, it is considered vegetable soup. Same can be said for lentils (lentejas), often offered as a soup or rather pottage. The hint? Chorizos are filled with smoked red paprika and will leave reddish "eyes" of fat floating on the surface. March 25 and you will be hitting snail (caracol!!!) season! Not hard to observe the Spanish out collecting them in the fields far from the roads, a future escargot which has crossed asphalt is not considered edible since it is believed that it will taste like tar. You may find them popping up in soups or salads. Plenty of Chinese restaurants in the larger cities along the way - not exactly Chinese but not North American either, can be a fun change.My favorite? Matias Locanda Italiana: an albergue and restaurant located in Sarria at the top of the hill as you leave, good vegetarian and vegan choices well marked on the menu, yes Italian style with very friendly people looks like 1968 inside.
Thanks scruffy1, I'll make a note of Matias Locanda Italiana in Sarria. I'll keep an eye out for snails! I wouldn't eat them even if I wasn't vegetarian. And I shall be inspecting salads. Fascinating info - Thanks for the heads up.

Buen Camino, - Mike

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mike,

If you use the search function, you'll find a few threads on vegetarian food on the Camino Frances - including this one: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...gues-restaurants-on-the-camino-frances.16487/

Be careful of soups and stews - they may seem to be veggie-friendly, but they often have a meat base.

I had good vegetarian meals at Albergue San Atonio in Villar de Mazarif, Meson Liar at Murias de Rechivaldo and Albergue Palomya y Lena in Sam Mahmed (just before Sarria). Lots of other places also cater adequately for vegetarians, so you won't go hungry!

Buen Camino,

Nuala

Hi Mike,

If you use the search function, you'll find a few threads on vegetarian food on the Camino Frances - including this one: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...gues-restaurants-on-the-camino-frances.16487/

Be careful of soups and stews - they may seem to be veggie-friendly, but they often have a meat base.

I had good vegetarian meals at Albergue San Atonio in Villar de Mazarif, Meson Liar at Murias de Rechivaldo and Albergue Palomya y Lena in Sam Mahmed (just before Sarria). Lots of other places also cater adequately for vegetarians, so you won't go hungry!

Buen Camino,

Nuala
Thanks NualaOC, I did expect that the soups might be booby-trapped. I'll check that link. Buen Camino, - Mike

On one of my Caminos I walked quite a bit in the company of three other pilgrims. One time while we were all staying at the same albergue we decided to have a communal dinner together (those are too cool to do). We got pasta, vegetables for a salad, bread and wine, etc. We bought some chorizo to finely chop up and put in the pasta sauce. Once it was all cooked you could not see the chorizo in it. Just before we sat down to eat at the table another pilgrim whom we'd been seeing on the Camino quite often was there too, and we invited her to break bread with us. She agreed and about halfway through the meal, and I don't remember how the subject came up, she said she was a vegetarian. I'll never forget how we (myself and the other three) all looked at each other with a "yikes" look in our eyes.

I am vegan and lived in Spain and as long as you can cook for yourself you are fine. There are quite a few dishes where no meat is used and times have changed and we are not the first veggies doing the Camino.

On one of my Caminos I walked quite a bit in the company of three other pilgrims. One time while we were all staying at the same albergue we decided to have a communal dinner together (those are too cool to do). We got pasta, vegetables for a salad, bread and wine, etc. We bought some chorizo to finely chop up and put in the pasta sauce. Once it was all cooked you could not see the chorizo in it. Just before we sat down to eat at the table another pilgrim whom we'd been seeing on the Camino quite often was there too, and we invited her to break bread with us. She agreed and about halfway through the meal, and I don't remember how the subject came up, she's said she was a vegetarian. I'll never forget how we (myself and the other three) all looked at each other with a "yikes" look in our eyes.
A couple of times in 46 years of being a vegetarian I've discovered that there's meat in a dish (chopped ham in quiche, for instance) I'm eating and out of respect for the host I've said nothing. I always tell anyone who invites me to dinner, I'll say thanks and decline if it's short notice. But I wouldn't sit down to discover there's a slab of animal on my plate and continue - I'd probably eat around it and apologise! Awkward. Some people think that vegetarians eat fish, so things can get complicated. Maybe the pilgrim you mentioned knew what was up and didn't say anything out of respect. I've probably eaten meat a few times without tasting it - in soup, maybe.

Some people don't eat pork for religious reasons, of course. I wonder whether a strict religious rule like that is considered more "serious" than vegetarianism. Depends, I guess. I'll bet vegetarianism is considered by people with a religious commitment to be a serious choice, as in your anectode.

As a rule we cook mostly vegan dishes at San Anton due to the lack of refrigeration. I think you will find this to be a common practice at most donativos because of the limited budgets we work on. A communal meal prepared with your friends can guarantee you the meal options you are looking for.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Mike,

I am also a vegetarian did Ok during my various Camino trips. By buying food from local tienda/store and cooking my meal at the Albergue, I managed fine. There are always items in the store that one can pull together a non meat dinner. It can be a bunch of greens with a can of chick peas for protein. My Spanish isn't great, so when there are limited choices at a bar/restaurant for lunch, I tend to just ask for a piece of potato tortilla or just a baguette with tomato, just the basic. I have seen chorizo floating in my vegetable soup, I just pick them out and finish the rest of soup. Not a big for deal if meat came contact with my food. I am at Spain and things can be different. But never once I have issue, even in the remote little village.

Sometime eating at the Camino is out of necessity, I have to be flexible & have an open mind.

Albergue Verde at Hospital del Orbigo served a total vegan dinner while we were there, absolutely fantastic.

Go with an open mind and the Camino will provided. Buen Camino!

I'm a vegetarian heading off on my first Camino Frances in 3 weeks. I leave SJPDP on March 26th. I'm told that Spain is a very carnivorous country. I've found plenty of vegetarian restaurants in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago De C. and I have an app on my phone which lists vego restaurants everywhere (except small towns!).

I wonder how many of you are vegos or vegans and whether you have any earth-shattering tales to tell.

Thanks and Buen Camino, - Mike
Hi Mike
I walked the Camino last year with my mother who is vegetarian (I'm not, although can live without meat). She managed fine. As mentioned above, you can buy veg, fruit, dried fruit, nuts and cans of beans/chickpeas (garbanzos) in the little shops and prepare your own meals. Lovely bread and lots of cheese and yoghurts if you're not vegan. In bars and restaurants where there is a set menu, you will often find "enslada mixta" (mixed salad) - this is usually a great mix of salad veg plus canned tuna, but if you just say "sin atún" (without tuna) when ordering they will leave this off. Other than salads, you often see eggs as an option (usually fried, with chips/fries) and of course the potato tortilla is found everywhere - occasionally someone adds chorizo but not usually in the ones we saw along the Frances. Also pasta is common, often with a plain tomato-based sauce without meat.

If you're at all unsure about what is in a dish, just say "soy vegetariano" (I am vegeterian - the "g" in this instance is pronounced sort of "khh" like a Spanish "j" because it comes before an "e" - just to make sure you're understood!) and clarify that when you order by saying "sin carne, sin pescado" (without meat, without fish). This is important because we found a few times that a "vegetarian" menu would include fish as one of the options - at one stage I remember commenting to someone that fish is a vegetable in Spain! Also some people don't even really view canned tuna as fish, so you can be even more specific saying "sin carne, sin pescado, sin atún". As others have commented, soups and anything stew-like probably has at least a meat stock base, unless you are clearly told otherwise. When you get to Galicia that includes caldo galego, a soup which you may be told has no meat, but it will have been made with meat stock unless whoever makes it has specifically made a variation for vegetarians without meat - we did find that once I think.

I think businesses along the Camino have become quite used to vegetarian pilgrims, so we never experienced anyone being surprised to be asked - so no earth-shattering tales as you asked for! You just have to be specific when ordering food as what you mean when you say "vegetarian" may not always be quite what the other person understands by the term.

Buen camino vegetariano!

Hi Mike
I walked the Camino last year with my mother who is vegetarian (I'm not, although can live without meat). She managed fine. As mentioned above, you can buy veg, fruit, dried fruit, nuts and cans of beans/chickpeas (garbanzos) in the little shops and prepare your own meals. Lovely bread and lots of cheese and yoghurts if you're not vegan. In bars and restaurants where there is a set menu, you will often find "enslada mixta" (mixed salad) - this is usually a great mix of salad veg plus canned tuna, but if you just say "sin atún" (without tuna) when ordering they will leave this off. Other than salads, you often see eggs as an option (usually fried, with chips/fries) and of course the potato tortilla is found everywhere - occasionally someone adds chorizo but not usually in the ones we saw along the Frances. Also pasta is common, often with a plain tomato-based sauce without meat.

If you're at all unsure about what is in a dish, just say "soy vegetariano" (I am vegeterian - the "g" in this instance is pronounced sort of "khh" like a Spanish "j" because it comes before an "e" - just to make sure you're understood!) and clarify that when you order by saying "sin carne, sin pescado" (without meat, without fish). This is important because we found a few times that a "vegetarian" menu would include fish as one of the options - at one stage I remember commenting to someone that fish is a vegetable in Spain! Also some people don't even really view canned tuna as fish, so you can be even more specific saying "sin carne, sin pescado, sin atún". As others have commented, soups and anything stew-like probably has at least a meat stock base, unless you are clearly told otherwise. When you get to Galicia that includes caldo galego, a soup which you may be told has no meat, but it will have been made with meat stock unless whoever makes it has specifically made a variation for vegetarians without meat - we did find that once I think.

I think businesses along the Camino have become quite used to vegetarian pilgrims, so we never experienced anyone being surprised to be asked - so no earth-shattering tales as you asked for! You just have to be specific when ordering food as what you mean when you say "vegetarian" may not always be quite what the other person understands by the term.

Buen camino vegetariano!
Thanks, very helpful. I'm not surprised about the fish and soup details. Buen Camino, - Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I gotta be honest here. By the time I got to Finisterre, I felt completely malnourished. The salads are made with iceberg lettuce and I'm not a big egg person so I got pretty sick of Spanish tortillas (potato omelets). I had a couple of great falafels in Leon and Santiago wrapped in a Mexican style tortilla, resembling a burrito. But other than that, I didn't eat well. I'm not much of a cook and felt too tired after walking all day to try. This is why I am choosing to walk the Le Puy route in France again this year. There I know I'll eat like a queen! I have never had a problem eating well in France.

Attachments

• DSCF0557.JPG
    DSCF0557.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I gotta be honest here. By the time I got to Finisterre, I felt completely malnourished. The salads are made with iceberg lettuce and I'm not a big egg person so I got pretty sick of Spanish tortillas (potato omelets). I had a couple of great falafels in Leon and Santiago wrapped in a Mexican style tortilla, resembling a burrito. But other than that, I didn't eat well. I not much of a cook and felt too tired after walking all day to try. This is why I am choosing to walk the Le Puy route in France again this year. There I know I'll eat like a queen! I have never had a problem eating well in France.

I found all sorts of beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables along the route.
With all the crackers, fresh bread, cookies, yogurt, pasta etc, I just never got hungry at all.
Many times, we made a quick sauce of fresh cut up tomato, onion, garlic, and peppers and put it over pasta. YUM!
Hopefully you'll do better in France!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I gotta be honest here. By the time I got to Finisterre, I felt completely malnourished. The salads are made with iceberg lettuce and I'm not a big egg person so I got pretty sick of Spanish tortillas (potato omelets). I had a couple of great falafels in Leon and Santiago wrapped in a Mexican style tortilla, resembling a burrito. But other than that, I didn't eat well. I not much of a cook and felt too tired after walking all day to try. This is why I am choosing to walk the Le Puy route in France again this year. There I know I'll eat like a queen! I have never had a problem eating well in France.
Thanks, BShea. Vegos have to be careful to get enough iron which is there in all that meat, but sounds scarce in some of the foods you mentioned. There have been good tips here about shopping in small stores for particular items like chick peas - rich in protein and pulses contain iron. I've decided to buy a couple of jars of peanut butter in Madrid before my walk! Folks think it's fattening but it contains beneficial fats and loads of protein. I buy the one without added sugar - yes they add sugar to peanut butter too!

I've been told I'll lose some weight on the Camino. That sounds great, but I'm spending some time in Paris afterwards, so will need an iron will to keep the weight off. I've got my eye on the Via Francigena as a follow-up. I've never been to Rome. Italy might also be kinder to vegos!

Buen Camino, - Mike

BTW if you see TOP 5 nut mix, be sure to grab a couple bags. It's a spicy mix of two types of peanuts, sunflower seeds, corn nuts (a nut?) and another nut - sorry, I don't remember which. After I found it the first time, I had to look far and wide to find it again. I finally found it at the Carrefour in Santiago so I bought some bags to bring home! A great alternative to peanut butter
Also, I couldn't find trail mix which I was craving... Maybe others were more successful or they just made their own? It seemed like most little shops only sold peanuts. Occasionally, I found some cashews. I would have loved a dried fruit mix to nibble on as I walked! So, if you see some, you may want to stock up.

I'm a vegetarian who doesn't eat cheese or eggs either. No fish, poultry or meat. I've done three caminos so far and in truth, each time I've dropped a good 5 to 8 kgs, and I'm not heavy to start with :) That said, what I do is try to buy avocados whenever possible, tomatoes, and if I'm lucky, if I'm walking near a larger grocery store, I stock up on hummus. At home, I'm a big bread eater, but on the caminos, except in Galicia and parts of Portugal, the bread is, well, nothing to write home about. Each of my caminos, I almost , but not quite, swear off my bread habit. Nuts, of course, are de rigueur, as are fruits, anything I grab my hands on, whether from a tree, vine, or a grocery.

One very cool experience worth telling about is that I was somewhere between Lisboa and Porto, walking through a small village. I stopped into a small bar/grocery store, and the proprietor was a woman who spoke German, as I do. I asked her if she could make me a sandwich with veggies (typically, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and no mayo (of course), but maybe mustard or ketchup (or tabasco sauce). She told me her daughter was also a vegetarian, and then she pulled out some soy burgers from her fridge and made me three of some of the best sandwiches I ever had.

This past year, in Luarca, I had a great experience too. I stopped into a bar/restaurant in the morning for some coffee and asked - as usual - if they could fix me up a couple of veggie bocadillos. Turns out the waitress was a vegan and she fixed me two or three veggie meals to go - gratis!

One other great experience this past year ... I was in Llanes and had a couple of avocados in my backpack. I went to the back of a moderately upscale restaurant to the kitchen and asked if I could borrow a knife to cut my avocados. The lady in the kitchen turned out to be from the Dominican Republic, and I, being from New York, could totally relate. She insisted on cutting the avocados for me, and even lent me a plate, fork and spoon to eat them with. Behind the restaurant was a small plaza, with a few benches. I went back there and started munching away at my meal (naturally with bread, again), when someone tapped me on the shoulder and handed me three tuna sandwiches and two bottles of juice. Before I could say anything, the person, a young man, said, very proudly, "Yo soy Dominicano" and walked away - I didn't even have the chance to thank him. Although I couldn't eat the tuna sandwiches, that was one of the highlights of my last camino - courtesy of some great fellow Western Hemisphere natives!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Every couple days you will be walking by towns that have well stocked large grocery stores. You can buy peanut butter there if you ran out, save you to carry extra weight. I always carry a bag of mix nuts and a large bar of chocolate (Valour is my favour) for energy. There are plenty of bars (cafes) and bakeries along the way, lots of places to rest and refuel. There is really no need to carry extra food, maybe just snack for a day or two. Be aware many places close on Sunday, so stock up on Saturday.

I carried with me a few Power Bars on my first Camino and discover quickly that, ahem, they sell food at Spain and they are delicious!

Don't miss the local farmers' market. One can sample many local produces, olive and cheese there. Don't miss the wonderful tapas bars in bigger town such as Pamplona/Burgos/Leon. I can't say I ate poorly at Spain. Food is a wonderful and yummy way to experience the wonderful Spanish culture, even for vegetarians.

I really didn't expect to be well fed and nourished at the Camino, it is a pilgrimage after all.

Buen Camino.

I'm a vegetarian who doesn't eat cheese or eggs either. No fish, poultry or meat. I've done three caminos so far and in truth, each time I've dropped a good 5 to 8 kgs, and I'm not heavy to start with :) That said, what I do is try to buy avocados whenever possible, tomatoes, and if I'm lucky, if I'm walking near a larger grocery store, I stock up on hummus. At home, I'm a big bread eater, but on the caminos, except in Galicia and parts of Portugal, the bread is, well, nothing to write home about. Each of my caminos, I almost , but not quite, swear off my bread habit. Nuts, of course, are de rigueur, as are fruits, anything I grab my hands on, whether from a tree, vine, or a grocery.

One very cool experience worth telling about is that I was somewhere between Lisboa and Porto, walking through a small village. I stopped into a small bar/grocery store, and the proprietor was a woman who spoke German, as I do. I asked her if she could make me a sandwich with veggies (typically, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and no mayo (of course), but maybe mustard or ketchup (or tabasco sauce). She told me her daughter was also a vegetarian, and then she pulled out some soy burgers from her fridge and made me three of some of the best sandwiches I ever had.

This past year, in Luarca, I had a great experience too. I stopped into a bar/restaurant in the morning for some coffee and asked - as usual - if they could fix me up a couple of veggie bocadillos. Turns out the waitress was a vegan and she fixed me two or three veggie meals to go - gratis!

One other great experience this past year ... I was in Llanes and had a couple of avocados in my backpack. I went to the back of a moderately upscale restaurant and went to to the back to the kitchen asked if I could borrow a knife to cut my avocados. The lady in the kitchen turned out to be from the Dominican Republic, and I, being from New York, could totally relate. She insisted on cutting the avocados for me, and even lent me a plate, fork and spoon to eat them with. Behind the restaurant was a small plaza, with a few benches. I went back there and started munching away at my meal (naturally with bread, again), when someone tapped me on the shoulder and handed me three tuna sandwiches and two bottles of juice. Before I could say anything, the person, a young man, said, "Yo soy Domincano" and walked away - I didn't even have the chance to thank him. Although I couldn't eat the tuna sandwiches, that was one of the highlights of my last camino - courtesy of some great fellow Western Hemisphere natives!
Lunna, Thanks for the stories. I'll have to make some notes - so much info in this thread.

Buen Camino, Mike

BTW if you see TOP 5 nut mix, be sure to grab a couple bags. It's a spicy mix of two types of peanuts, sunflower seeds, corn nuts (a nut?) and another nut - sorry, I don't remember which. After I found it the first time, I had to look far and wide to find it again. I finally found it at the Carrefour in Santiago so I bought some bags to bring home! A great alternative to peanut butter
Also, I couldn't find trail mix which I was craving... Maybe others were more successful or they just made their own? It seemed like most little shops only sold peanuts. Occasionally, I found some cashews. I would have loved a dried fruit mix to nibble on as I walked! So, if you see some, you may want to stock up.
I should be able to find some TOP5 while I'm in Madrid, thanks. I might not lose weight on this Camino after all! - Mike

PS - I can't tell you how many times I asked at restaurants if they had anything vegetarian and they would say, "claro, tenemos ensalata de atun."

Oh my, all this talk around choosing food, I can't help but think how pilgrims ate hundreds of years ago and if they had a wish list. Granted, times and the growing of food have changed in drastic ways (i.e. pesticides, unspeakable conditions of animal care, et al) and I certainly respect the 'moral' choices folks make. Although I eat very little red meat, and make my food choices diligently, (free range eggs, hormone free meat, etc), I have not tasted food so fresh and delectable, as I did in Spain, including Chorizo and Hammon. In my years of training in T'ai Chi, my Sifu reminded us all, that all food is meant to be eaten; albeit in moderation. Certain foods assist certain organs in the body, which is a complex system of fire and water (ying and yang). Much to be found on this subject in Traditional Chines Medicine. Again, I am not judging, just putting another slant on it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One Aussie girl on the Camino Frances when I walked it would eat basically nothing except tortilla posadas (although that is all eggs...).
Wow. Pretty extreme. I'm surprised she made it without a more balanced diet. One can eat Coca Cola and potato chips and technically be a vegetarian. And get diabetes while starving. - Mike

Wow. Pretty extreme. I'm surprised she made it without a more balanced diet. One can eat Coca Cola and potato chips and technically be a vegetarian. And get diabetes while starving. - Mike

Well she was very slender. Something about being allergic to all kinds of foods.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good morning all.

Below is the link to the list of stores where one can buy vegan food.
I am a fanatic cook and love to spend the afternoons and evenings cooking even if I just came back from a long hike.yy
Oh and for you peregrinos that pass through larger cities there is a beautiful app called Happy Cow. Spain has quite some lovely veggie restaurants and shops.

Remember we are not the first veggies walking the Camino and won´t be the last.

Spain has beautiful ingredients and all the fresh food makes it even tastier.

http://nosolotofu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/productos-veganos-en-supermercados.html?m=1

Here another great article about iron.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

So it´s all about a know how and what one needs to eat. I don´t even use supplements apart from B12.

My GP does yearly blood tests and all is fine.

Hope the lists help.

Thanks.
Michael

Good morning all.

Below is the link to the list of stores where one can buy vegan food.
I am a fanatic cook and love to spend the afternoons and evenings cooking even if I just came back from a long hike.yy
Oh and for you peregrinos that pass through larger cities there is a beautiful app called Happy Cow. Spain has quite some lovely veggie restaurants and shops.

Remember we are not the first veggies walking the Camino and won´t be the last.

Spain has beautiful ingredients and all the fresh food makes it even tastier.

http://nosolotofu.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/productos-veganos-en-supermercados.html?m=1

Here another great article about iron.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

So it´s all about a know how and what one needs to eat. I don´t even use supplements apart from B12.

My GP does yearly blood tests and all is fine.

Hope the lists help.

Thanks.
Michael
Thanks Michael, that's an impressive list - I'll get Google translate onto it and try to get it onto my phone. I already have the Happy Cow app on my phone, have found a bunch of places in the larger towns. I've saved them on Google Maps.

That's a good solid article about iron. Essential reading for vegetarians. I wonder how many vegetarians are aware of the difference between Heme and Non-Heme iron? Many people seem to think that everybody needs red meat for iron or we will all perish. Oh and different people need different amounts of iron per day - a young menstruating or pregnant woman needs about twice as much as an old guy like me.

I'm looking forward to fresh local produce along the way.

Buen Camino - Mike

I ate some fresh fruit on my Camino that I bought in a store...I got so sick that I lost 20-pounds and had difficulty eating the second half of my Camino...maybe it was just my experience but completely wash all the fruit and vegetables before eating them.

I used to live in Spain for seven years and never had any problems. My other half is from Madrid and we are thinking of moving back to Madrid in the future.
I experienced only problems with dehydration the few days because of the heat as we now live in the UK and I am not used to it anymore.
Maybe it was some water you drank that was not potable?

I found the fruit and vegetables on CF to be really lovely, but be warned: as another poster mentioned recently, do NOT touch the produce. In a store, when you see something you like, remember to first be friendly, greet the proprietor, etc. Then ask them for help, and let them touch the produce. They will get really upset if you are hands on with their stuff, especially the fruit. They will meticulously weigh your purchase and put a little sticker on it, etc.....but no touchy feely!!

My challenge with diet this time around is an aim to STOP eating chocolate croissants for breakfast....in fact, I'm on a very strict low carbohydrate diet owing to a diagnose of pre-diabetes; I had gotten this diagnosis in 2011 and had forgotten how important it was to deal with it, along with a huge distrust and dislike of the doctor who made the diagnosis. This time I have to acknowledge that it's a real issue, and am working to deal. I'm down to my "just back from CF 5o0 miles" weight, and trending down, which is not just good, it's crucial.

I think tortilla is going to be my best bet in the mornings.

I am not vegetarian for any moral reason. Being raised in on a cattle ranch and a hunting family I have eaten probably 90% of meat products in my life time especially visiting and living in poorer countries. I tried a vegetarian life style about 4 years ago giving it a month and never went back because for me it was healthier (heart issues) and without trying I lost about 40 pounds in about 8 months and have more energy. I learned a long time ago when a person offers me their food with or without meat I would partake rather than offending them. Generally when they offer me their food especially in 3rd world countries they were offering their best. We start our Camino in March and if vegetarian is available we will eat it, hopefully we will be able to prepare our own food for shared meals and have a choice.

I found the fruit and vegetables on CF to be really lovely, but be warned: as another poster mentioned recently, do NOT touch the produce. In a store, when you see something you like, remember to first be friendly, greet the proprietor, etc. Then ask them for help, and let them touch the produce. They will get really upset if you are hands on with their stuff, especially the fruit. They will meticulously weigh your purchase and put a little sticker on it, etc.....but no touchy feely!!

My challenge with diet this time around is an aim to STOP eating chocolate croissants for breakfast....in fact, I'm on a very strict low carbohydrate diet owing to a diagnose of pre-diabetes; I had gotten this diagnosis in 2011 and had forgotten how important it was to deal with it, along with a huge distrust and dislike of the doctor who made the diagnosis. This time I have to acknowledge that it's a real issue, and am working to deal. I'm down to my "just back from CF 5o0 miles" weight, and trending down, which is not just good, it's crucial.

I think tortilla is going to be my best bet in the mornings.
Yeah, those Spanish "breakfasts" just weren't hardy enough for me. Toast with jam. Croissants or other sweet pastry type things. Ugh. Had to have my coffee, though. Ha ha.
I always tried to get some stuff the day before to have for breakfast. Bananas mostly when I could. Sometimes the 70% dark chocolate. Protein bars. I also always made it a point to drink at least 1/2 liter of water before I even started walking.

JFGregory what do you think was the key food item ( pre vegetarian) that caused the weight factor? Was it all the meat? 40 lbs is a lot to lose and I'm sure you're healtheir for it. I indulge in a vegetarian lifestyle during my yearly three months in India as a volunteer, as vegetarianism is their way of life. I don't experience any difference in my weight. I am fortunate that I don't have gluten or lactose issues and can eat just about anything, but I'm also selective with my choices.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
JFGregory what do you think was the key food item ( pre vegetarian) that caused the weight factor? Was it all the meat? 40 lbs is a lot to lose and I'm sure you're healtheir for it. I indulge in a vegetarian lifestyle during my yearly three months in India as a volunteer, as vegetarianism is their way of life. I don't experience any difference in my weight. I am fortunate that I don't have gluten or lactose issues and can eat just about anything, but I'm also selective with my choices.
I have always had obesity issues since I was young. I was once 400 lbs. +. Over several years I got down to about 280. My wife asked me to try a vegetarian diet called Daniels Fast. (Google it). I stopped eating white flour products additional sugar. Started a walking regiment daily 5am. I could eat as much as I wanted vegetables, fruits, legumes, tofu and I never got hungry so I continued that and it satisfies my hunger. I weigh about 235 and think I am skinny 400+ to 235 is skinny but I am healthy. I also drink at least as gallon of water daily and have cut back on caffeinated products.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have always had obesity issues since I was young. I was once 400 lbs. +. Over several years I got down to about 280. My wife asked me to try a vegetarian diet called Daniels Fast. (Google it). I stopped eating white flour products additional sugar. Started a walking regiment daily 5am. I could eat as much as I wanted vegetables, fruits, legumes, tofu and I never got hungry so I continued that and it satisfies my hunger. I weigh about 235 and think I am skinny 400+ to 235 is skinny but I am healthy. I also drink at least as gallon of water daily and have cut back on caffeinated products.
What a wonderful thing to do for yourself and for your wife. I had a feeling there was more to the story than just eliminating meat. Good for you JFG and I am sure you're both are much less concerned about your overall health now. I've never had a weight issue, but I have eliminated bread. Continued good health to you. You should be very proud to accomplish what you did.
P.S. I spent 15 very happy years in Seattle, before returning to Canada.

That reminds me, I activated and roasted (dehydrated) a mixture of my own nuts and seeds and took them with me. I had walked once before so I knew the route from SJPdP re cafes etc. As a snack to nibble along the way, it got me to Pamplona. High in protein. Tasty.

Hey Mike, first of all have a wonderful camino. an above mentioned link 'Vegetarian albergues/restaurants on the Camino Frances' has some good information. Some of it is a few years old but still useful. I'm a vegetarian and I began my Camino with some nuts, seeds, dried fruit, home made muesli, a powdered greens mix and a couple of vegetarian quick serve meal packets just to get me started. If cooking alone I would find small jars of garbanzo beans, lentils or other beans and (after rinsing) cook them up with an onion, carrot or other vegetable and add them to rice (I found pre cooked rice packs). Small potatoes (white and sweet both) were good. Potatoes also make for a good snack as you're walking. I would munch carrots, potatoes, apples, oranges, bananas or whatever I could find. Stock up if you are passing through smaller villages as there may be less available. Sundays and holidays may be more difficult to shop. The larger cities (like Burgos) have health food stores if you need to stock up on healthy items (organic/biologic).
Community meals are great. You can add a great variety of items and not waste anything. It's hard to use an entire head of lettuce alone but in a group one can create a wonderful salad, add more veggies to an entree. And best of all, you share a meal with other peregrinos. It's also much cheaper if you are budget conscious.
Good luck and been camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I am so impressed with your loss of 165 pounds. That is a real accomplishment! I too have had weight issues, and think that it is a bit of a side issue for this thread, but we've gotten a bit off track before. It won't hurt to do it for just a moment!

When I walked CF in October and the first 11 days of November, I became aware--after two weeks of walking--that I had lost some body fat. I just kind of walked my belly right off. I did find that my body absolutely craved substantial meals. I never really snack on "junk" anyway, and I was glad while on CF that I could usually find something that worked to eat.

The challenge this time is that I want to eat well: not just "delicious" well, and not just croissants because they are there, but healthy "well". I am determined that I am going to lose my "pre diabetic" status and turn around a very bad situation. Mind you--I have taken off 14 pounds since I became a pilgrim. I am a happier person, a lighter person, and a healthier person. But things must continue.

I look forward to keeping my pilgrim eyes open for more options this time around--starting in three weeks on March 15th. Camino 2016 begins then!

I am not vegetarian for any moral reason. {snip ... ] I learned a long time ago when a person offers me their food with or without meat I would partake rather than offending them. Generally when they offer me their food especially in 3rd world countries they were offering their best. We start our Camino in March and if vegetarian is available we will eat it, hopefully we will be able to prepare our own food for shared meals and have a choice.
I agree. In support of simple lives and simple living we are vegetarians in our own home. We have traveled extensively in the developing world and in the the developed world. And in all cases whether in our neighbors' homes or traveling we simply eat what is offered and available -- partly from a pilgrim viewpoint and partly to be gracious to our hosts. As a result we have eaten many interesting things (snakes, lizards, various insects, ...) and come to understand and enjoy other cultures more fully. When we walked the Camino we did the same and ordered from the menu (we tried to avoid the pilgrim menu and tried to eat at traditional meal times. We preferentially ordered vegetarian but in all cases did not request vegetarian if it was not on the menu. We also had some quiet "picnic" dinners that put together from the market. In nearly all cases we found the fresh, interesting, and delicious. If we were strict vegetarians or had religious constraints, we would do things differently, and we respect others choices in this area.

That said it seemed to me it seemed to me as we walked the Camino that it would be hard to eat out every night and find a variety of vegetarian foods. And so mix of eating out, self prepared meals, and "picnic dinners" may work well. And it's an option that we enjoy.

I am so impressed with your loss of 165 pounds. That is a real accomplishment! I too have had weight issues, and think that it is a bit of a side issue for this thread, but we've gotten a bit off track before. It won't hurt to do it for just a moment!

When I walked CF in October and the first 11 days of November, I became aware--after two weeks of walking--that I had lost some body fat. I just kind of walked my belly right off. I did find that my body absolutely craved substantial meals. I never really snack on "junk" anyway, and I was glad while on CF that I could usually find something that worked to eat.

The challenge this time is that I want to eat well: not just "delicious" well, and not just croissants because they are there, but healthy "well". I am determined that I am going to lose my "pre diabetic" status and turn around a very bad situation. Mind you--I have taken off 14 pounds since I became a pilgrim. I am a happier person, a lighter person, and a healthier person. But things must continue.

I look forward to keeping my pilgrim eyes open for more options this time around--starting in three weeks on March 15th. Camino 2016 begins then!
My first CF in 2013 I had lost approximately 20-25 pounds by the time I reached Santiago. The other two I lost 15-20 pounds. I think that first one I lost more because the pack I had, had no frame and was honestly too heavy. A lot of the weight on my shoulders and upper back. I think that contributed to more calories burned everyday. Mind you, I don't recommend it because it kinda kicked me arse some days.
I did notice I was just so hungry everyday and ate like a horse, but even then I avoided sweets and sodas. I really just don't like them. I did enjoy my cold beer on the Camino. Not everyday, but never turned one down. I also made it a point to drink at least 3-4 liters of water a day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree. In support of simple lives and simple living we are vegetarians in our own home. We have traveled extensively in the developing world and in the the developed world. And in all cases whether in our neighbors' homes or traveling we simply eat what is offered and available -- partly from a pilgrim viewpoint and partly to be gracious to our hosts. As a result we have eaten many interesting things (snakes, lizards, various insects, ...) and come to understand and enjoy other cultures more fully. When we walked the Camino we did the same and ordered from the menu (we tried to avoid the pilgrim menu and tried to eat at traditional meal times. We preferentially ordered vegetarian but in all cases did not request vegetarian if it was not on the menu. We also had some quiet "picnic" dinners that put together from the market. In nearly all cases we found the fresh, interesting, and delicious. If we were strict vegetarians or had religious constraints, we would do things differently, and we respect others choices in this area.

That said it seemed to me it seemed to me as we walked the Camino that it would be hard to eat out every night and find a variety of vegetarian foods. And so mix of eating out, self prepared meals, and "picnic dinners" may work well. And it's an option that we enjoy.

For me, and only for me (this isn't in any way saying others should think/live like I'm about to say), I wouldn't any more eat vegetarian on the camino than I'd eat meat in India. I want to immerse myself in the culture I'm in, step out of my comfort zone (and away from how I live in my own home/culture) and eat both the best of where I am and what is indicative of that culture. It also isn't bad for all people in Western countries (meat eaters and vegetarians alike) to realize that vegetarianism is a luxury (potentially a righteous one, but a luxury nonetheless) that many impoverished nations can not afford. While most of Spain doesn't fit that category, parts of the most rural Spain do. Conversely, there are other parts of the world where eating meat is a luxury that cannot be afforded.

Meanwhile, like the US South, Spain is a pork loving culture. Especially Castilla y Leon.

Again, this isn't meant to start a debate nor to convince anybody else to eat differently than they desire. Just my perspective on how I approach travel.

Last edited:
My first CF in 2013 I had lost approximately 20-25 pounds by the time I reached Santiago. The other two I lost 15-20 pounds. I think that first one I lost more because the pack I had, had no frame and was honestly too heavy. A lot of the weight on my shoulders and upper back. I think that contributed to more calories burned everyday. Mind you, I don't recommend it because it kinda kicked me arse some days.
I did notice I was just so hungry everyday and ate like a horse, but even then I avoided sweets and sodas. I really just don't like them. I did enjoy my cold beer on the Camino. Not everyday, but never turned one down. I also made it a point to drink at least 3-4 liters of water a day.
I lost weight but my wife gained it. And she isn't alone. From my reading I'd guess 15-20% of peregrinos actually gain weight on the camino. It's worth keeping in mind.

Oh my, all this talk around choosing food, I can't help but think how pilgrims ate hundreds of years ago and if they had a wish list.
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day something other than bread
and give others in future days something other than French fries.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day something other than bread
and give others in future days something other than French fries.
Ummm, yeah. They do serve a lot of those don't they.
In their defense, what does one expect when getting a three course meal, with wine and bread for between 8-15 euros. Still a pretty good deal with or without the papas fritas.

I'm vegan. And I made it all the way to Finisterre! So it can be done.

You'll be fine. It's true, the Spanish love their meat. Being vegetarian is easier, honestly - you can get all your protein from the omelettes they love so much :) Your options are either - get the pilgrim meals without the meat (here and there you'll find special vegetarian options, but they aren't so common so don't count on it) and enjoy your pasta and salad. OR - buy some ingredients at the supermercado and make an easy nutritious meal. Most stores will have cooked beans in glass jars, look for them! (also cooked vegetables like asparagus, carrots, peas and potatoes). You can just heat up some lentils, make yourself some rice and salad and have a great meal. I did that because a pilgrim meal costs about 10e and for pasta, salad and wine it's really not giving you good calories for your money (or... at all) - however buying a jar of lentils, some vegetables and maybe some rice cost about 8e for two people. The only downside - it takes a bit more work than just sitting down, ordering and chewing your pasta...

Also, Entre Pedras (I think) in Santiago - amazing! Great vibes, nice food. It was so refreshing. If you want to enjoy a meal at the vegetarian places in the cities it's a good idea to order yourself a table ahead of time. Also, I'm not sure how things are where you live but the Spanish run strange opening hours to me, they would close the kitchen at 4 pm sometimes and then the restaurant becomes a bar until nighttime - oops, no food for you! So it's a good idea to call ahead and check. Sometimes they only serve food at dinnertime. You just never know...

Use the "search" option to look up "vegetarian" and "vegan" and you'll see a lot of interesting things, I'm sure!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh, also, we carried some TVP with us. It's very lightweight and very nutritious. It really saved us a couple of times. Get the tiny ones, and all you'll need is some hot water to soak them. Much cheaper than whey for example and very, very lightweight. It's a good emergency item to have for vegetarians and vegans.

Oh, also, we carried some TVP with us. It's very lightweight and very nutritious. It really saved us a couple of times. Get the tiny ones, and all you'll need is some hot water to soak them. Much cheaper than whey for example and very, very lightweight. It's a good emergency item to have for vegetarians and vegans.
Thanks Inbar, I'm going to make notes before I go (in 2.5 weeks)! So much info. Very Helpful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Keep in touch through 'Live From The Camino. Wish you a heartfelt Buen Camino.
I've been trying for a while now to work out how to use "Live from The Camino". Can't find an explanation. It's 3:15am here, so maybe I'm a bit fuzzy.

On the pilgrim menu, you can choose two first courses instead of one first and one second. There usually are more vegetable options in the first course. Keep in mind that many vegetables will be cooked in a meat broth, and the mixed salad normally comes with tuna on it. Bread often is baked with lard rather than vegetable oils, so even the bread may have animal products (as will some Spanish tortilla, the ubiquitous potato omelette).

On the pilgrim menu, you can choose two first courses instead of one first and one second. There usually are more vegetable options in the first course. Keep in mind that many vegetables will be cooked in a meat broth, and the mixed salad normally comes with tuna on it. Bread often is baked with lard rather than vegetable oils, so even the bread may have animal products (as will some Spanish tortilla, the ubiquitous potato omelette).
Wow! Seems like I'll be losing some weight! - Mike

@Kanga sorry to bother you with this. I'm having an extremely frustrating time finding any instructions on how to use this forum. A lot of it is intuitive, but I've searched for functionality tips - no luck. I'm trying to work out how to use "Live from the Camino".

@Kanga sorry to bother you with this. I'm having an extremely frustrating time finding any instructions on how to use this forum. A lot of it is intuitive, but I've searched for functionality tips - no luck. I'm trying to work out how to use "Live from the Camino".

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/live-from-the-camino.15/

I'm not Kanga--but if you click on this link, start a thread and tell us what you are up to while you are "live" on Camino!

It's just one of the posting links, I think. I never used it.

@Mike Trebert you need to start a new thread - pick the appropriate section ("Camino Frances") and in the box in which you give your thread a title hit the "no prefix" to pick the dropdown "live from the camino". That gives your thread title a coloured banner making it easy for us all to find. Anything not clear, send me a PM and I'll telephone you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Keep posting on the same "live" thread and it forms the basis of a travel diary for when you get back.

If you go to the section of the forum called "Announcements" (look towards the top of the forum tree) you will see a number of "sticky" threads with instructions on how to use the forum.

But ask away if sonething is not clear.

Last edited:
Thanks, Good of you to get back to me - I can now see how that works. I'm surprised there isn't a set of instructions somewhere on the site. I've just set up email on my iPad - so will be able to access the Forum while O/S. - Mike

It's not always intuitive here, is it? ha ha! but wow, what an amazing collection of information and cool people...right?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am not gonna lie, it is tough & I felt awful at the end of the journey. I do attribute that to some of my own choices as well though. Yes, there were some great meals & options (especially in the larger cities) & yes you can do it, but I felt like I was eating a lot of eggs, bread & cheese. Now when I go back (I have done the whole thing once & parts twice, then doing 2 weeks this summer), I bring protein to have a protein shake a day (some days 2). I find it worth it to carry the extra weight to feel good. This may not be worth it to you as it is a lot to carry, but really helped my energy levels.
I have numerous stories of telling my server that I am vegetarian only to be served a salad with jamon on it. I have gotten into the habit of sharing that I am vegetarian then repeating no carne, no pollo, no atun. I found that keeping some options in my pack for backup was helpful.
A lot of it depends on what you are used to, but enjoy molding to the many offerings along the way. Hopefully you like wine!

€46,-
I am not gonna lie, it is tough & I felt awful at the end of the journey. I do attribute that to some of my own choices as well though. Yes, there were some great meals & options (especially in the larger cities) & yes you can do it, but I felt like I was eating a lot of eggs, bread & cheese. Now when I go back (I have done the whole thing once & parts twice, then doing 2 weeks this summer), I bring protein to have a protein shake a day (some days 2). I find it worth it to carry the extra weight to feel good. This may not be worth it to you as it is a lot to carry, but really helped my energy levels.
I have numerous stories of telling my server that I am vegetarian only to be served a salad with jamon on it. I have gotten into the habit of sharing that I am vegetarian then repeating no carne, no pollo, no atun. I found that keeping some options in my pack for backup was helpful.
A lot of it depends on what you are used to, but enjoy molding to the many offerings along the way. Hopefully you like wine!
Thanks Kellie. I'm glad I started this thread. After reading too many stories like yours, I'll try to be prepared. I'll carry a few items in my large roller bag which will be transferred for me along the way. I'm starting my Camino Frances with a week in Madrid - will do some shopping there and in the larger towns on the way. I'm glad that, after all, I planned my trip to include baggage transfers. Most meat eaters are used to a heavier diet than vegetarians. I usually eat about 3 eggs a week and avoid fried foods. I must manage my familial high cholesterol problem (a genetic problem inherited by my sons and 1 granddaughter), so must pay close attention to my diet. My brother-in-law has eaten an astonishing amount of eggs, bacon, sausages, etc., all his life. A fairly typical French Canadian (cold country breakfast) diet. He developed bowel cancer about 3 yrs ago and is doing all right.

I expected to be losing some weight. Now I'm sure I will.

Many people I know consider vegetarianism to be eccentric and irresponsible. In this 21st century, reduced meat eating has become environmentally necessary, in my opinion. And the ethical considerations gather more weight every day. Laws are beginning to change regarding the status of our fellow primates. It's a start. Generally, we humans treat animals cruelly. We are kind to our pets but usually draw the line there, it seems to me. People don't change their habits easily. I've been a vegetarian for going on 50 years. I'm worried and saddened that my diet choice is so often considered unusual. Many wonderful people who live otherwise religious lives don't seem to question their habits objectively enough, in my opinion.

Thanks so much for the heads up and - Buen Camino, Mike

Mike, I am sure you'll do fine. For those of us who've been vegetarians long before it became 'cool' (45 years in Sept for me), we've had to learn to adapt. I guess it comes down to how rigid you are. Personally, I cannot just 'eat around meat in a sauce' because it'll wreak havoc on my system later that day. That said, I was always able to find something to eat. Just found that my diet was often quite bland.

In retrospect, I think I can probably attribute my malnourished state due to not eating a good breakfast (the most important meal of the day ;) ) so I ended up walking for hours on an empty tank. I found whole grain bread hard to find, I really didn't care for the white bread, and like I previously said, I grew weary of eating Spanish tortilla every day. Rather than focusing on carrying food for meals, it may be better to just make sure you stock up at night for the next morning's breakfast.

I wanted to recommend a couple of places...
There's a vegetarian albergue in Pieros but my meal was disappointing as the vegetables were extremely overcooked.
There's a small place in Trabadelo on the right hand side with a Korean flag that had tasty vegetarian food.
El Refugio in La Faba (an amazing chunky vegetarian soup and hot chocolate to die for)
In Finnesterre, the Italian restaurant facing the ocean had a delicious vegetable pasta and there's a small place across from the bus stop run by a German woman where I got some amazing lentils.

When you're in Paris, if you like falafels, L'As du Falafel has the best I've ever had. They have roasted eggplant in them. Apparently they're Lenny Kravitz's favorite as well :) .

Mike, I am sure you'll do fine. For those of us who've been vegetarians long before it became 'cool' (45 years in Sept for me), we've had to learn to adapt. I guess it comes down to how rigid you are. Personally, I cannot just 'eat around meat in a sauce' because it'll wreak havoc on my system later that day. That said, I was always able to find something to eat. Just found that my diet was often quite bland.

In retrospect, I think I can probably attribute my malnourished state due to not eating a good breakfast (the most important meal of the day ;) ) so I ended up walking for hours on an empty tank. I found whole grain bread hard to find, I really didn't care for the white bread, and like I previously said, I grew weary of eating Spanish tortilla every day. Rather than focusing on carrying food for meals, it may be better to just make sure you stock up at night for the next morning's breakfast.

I wanted to recommend a couple of places...
There's a vegetarian albergue in Pieros but my meal was disappointing as the vegetables were extremely overcooked.
There's a small place in Trabadelo on the right hand side with a Korean flag that had tasty vegetarian food.
El Refugio in La Faba (an amazing chunky vegetarian soup and hot chocolate to die for)
In Finnesterre, the Italian restaurant facing the ocean had a delicious vegetable pasta and there's a small place across from the bus stop run by a German woman where I got some amazing lentils.

When you're in Paris, if you like falafels, L'As du Falafel has the best I've ever had. They have roasted eggplant in them. Apparently they're Lenny Kravitz's favorite as well :) .
Hi BShea, Thanks. Rue des Rosier is my home away from home! Best falafels I've had too! We stayed in the Marais near the river and wandered up to L'As du Falafel MANY times. I wonder if they'll deliver to the Camino Frances!? I'll be in Paris in May. Will be staying up near Republique but will get a velib down to R des R regularly. See you and Lenny there.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back