• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vegetarians of the world Unite!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Prepared food on the Camino is abundant, nutritious, often delicious, sometimes boring (how many times have I been offered the ubiquitous lomo?) and there are many albergues with good enough self cooking facilities. The only real problem hides from vegetarians. There is apparently no word in Spanish for cholesterol, you will find meat in almost everything. Vegetable soup sopa de verdure(s) will always have some fatty meat in it; caldo gallego has collard greens or rape grelos (that tall strange looking stalky plant you see all along the Camino) for sure and while there may be no meat visible, it is prepared from ham hocks; Lentils, lentejas, more like a stew than a soup, meat stock for sure; chick peas potaje de garbanzo-more meat; green beans judios despite the name are better when cooked with some fatty pork; all of the myriad forms of cocido; many of the recipes with bacalao have just that much chorizo included in order to spice the dish; tapas? Patatas bravos are traditionally quartered potatoes made with a spicy sauce of tomatoes, sweet red peppers, and cayenne, don’t be surprised by the odd bit of chorizo among the potatoes or hidden within the sauce; feijoada or bean stew in Portuguese and in Gallego frijolada in Spanish is loaded lots of different kinds of meat too; manteca is rendered pork fat lard in Spanish or a mixture of butter and animal fats great for cooking many many dishes, not if you are vegetarian; and do remember not just to wash the pots, pans, and skillets in the albergue kitchens, a generation of steaks, chops, pork chops, chorizos, and manteca have gone before you, scrub them very well.

Eggs? Found in most soups as “noodles” or garnish a special favorite in the legendary garlic soup; a foundation found in mixed salad (en)salada mista; liberally added to Russian salad ensaladilla ruse; in tuna salad salada atun; a garnish for many bean/pulse dishes, and of course in flan.

Fish? next time

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I understand yor premise entirely. I am a great fan of Spanish cuisine. Whilst living in Spain I had the misfortune of having to entertain my sister from Scotland who at the time had eschewed eating meat. Eating out was at best problematic and served only to strain an already difficult relationship.
I do not eat meat and I agree that many of the fundamentals of Spanish cuisine are underpinned by meat or meat derived products. On the other hand the wealth of exceptional quality fruit and veg, spectacular in quality and entirely seasonal more than makes good this problem.
I do eat fish and seafood and, for me, this is another highlight of cuisine throughout Spain. The freshness is often superb even far from the sea - the abundance of transport carrying this used to make my hitch-hiking so much easier very early in the day.
I feel that appropriate preparation and forethought can overcome many of the matters you highlight, especially in albergues where one can prepare one's own food.
All the best,
Duncan.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Duncan
Your are so right - please see my second post "Beep Beep" where I introduce fish and shellfish, starting from Roncesvalles and the little white fish vans found all along the Camino and until the market of Santiago, neglecting however the wonderful markets of Pontevedre and Padron on the Camino Portugues. I prefer to walk Early Spring Late Fall, a good hearty soup served with something carnivorous are often a highlight of a long slog on a rainy day.
Scruffy

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back