• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Verin to Santiago de Compostela - Easter 2013

djoker

Hi everyone!

This forum is amazing, I have managed to have most of my questions answered jut by reading previous topics!

So, here's the deal: planning to take the Camino starting in Verin next Easter break. I would be leaving around the 23rd of March. So here are a few of my doubts and worries:

1) 180 kms, I have read that aiming for 6 to 8 days should be the plan. But do you think doing it in 5 days is totally undoable? Would be around 35kms/day. And I guess I could do something like:
Verin -> Sandias
Sandias -> Ourense
Ourense -> Dozon (O Castro)
Dozon -> Silleda
Silleda -> Santiago
Does this sound crazy?

2) Given the fact that I am going during Easter, do you think it is likely that I might arrive at the albergues and not find a place. What would I do if this happens? Some of these places are rather remote, so finding accommodation may not be easy. I am traveling with 2 or 3 other friends. The nice lady in Pilgrim's Office in Verín told me she thought it wouldn't be very likely because this route is not so popular, but still..

3) How do I do the preparation? I am a 22 year old girl, I don't like running/jogging but I love walking and during my daily life I walk everywhere, about an hour every day going up and down the hills of the town where I live. What kind of preparation should I aim for? I have about 55 days to go. :p

4) Shoes. I don't know. HELP. Should I buy boots? I don't own any pair of trekking boots, for my walks I normally wear my normal trainers, which are very comfortable and work amazing for the 15kms or so walks that I often take.

5) I am 22, but I am rather short (1,55m) and slim (46kgs), what are some advice you can give me on packing? I think carrying my bag is going to be the biggest problem for me. I feel like a 5kgs bag is already too much for my back to bear...

Thank you all in advance! And may our paths cross!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, and welcome to the forum, djoker!

The route from Verin is definitely a very un-travelled variant on the Sanabres, but you probably already know that. Most people walking will not take the turn-off at A Gudina, but will continue on to Laza. So for the first two stages, you are unlikely to see many/any others.

Once in Ourense, you'll be back on the main Sanabres and can expect to see others. Easter always sees a burst of traffic on the camino, whichever one you're talking about, but I don't think the northern part of the Sanabres will be so crowded. In lots of these towns even if it's remote, there are alternatives to the albergues. Check mundicamino.com and you'll get an idea of the accommodations.

Silleda to Santiago would be quite a long haul, 43 km (?), but since you won't be walking the next day, you'll be fine, I bet.

You might want to post some of the other questions in sections on equipment, etc., because you'll see there are many different opinions. I always wear boots, others walk in trainers. I don't do any special training for the camino, others train a lot.

With regard to the backpack, the key is to get something with an internal frame and a good belt that transfers the weight from the pack to your hips. (lots of information here on this topic). 5 k for a fully packed bag is something to be proud of, I never manage to get mine that low!

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, and welcome to the forum, djoker!

Thank you so much! I'm am very happy to have found this place!

The route from Verin is definitely a very un-travelled variant on the Sanabres, but you probably already know that. Most people walking will not take the turn-off at A Gudina, but will continue on to Laza. So for the first two stages, you are unlikely to see many/any others.

So do you think I should take the other route instead? I can start in Verin walk to Laza and stop for the night in Vilar de Barrio, and then walk to Ourense the next day. What do you think? I would rather see and meet other pilgrims.

Once in Ourense, you'll be back on the main Sanabres and can expect to see others. Easter always sees a burst of traffic on the camino, whichever one you're talking about, but I don't think the northern part of the Sanabres will be so crowded. In lots of these towns even if it's remote, there are alternatives to the albergues. Check mundicamino.com and you'll get an idea of the accommodations.

Thank you for the link! I am not a stressed person, I mostly go with the flow, so I shouldn't be stressing over accommodation, right? I'll figure it out when I get there.

Silleda to Santiago would be quite a long haul, 43 km (?), but since you won't be walking the next day, you'll be fine, I bet.

I need to really think about this and make a rational decision. Hopefully other people can give me their opinions here.

You might want to post some of the other questions in sections on equipment, etc., because you'll see there are many different opinions. I always wear boots, others walk in trainers. I don't do any special training for the camino, others train a lot.

I will most definitively ask about this in the other sections.

With regard to the backpack, the key is to get something with an internal frame and a good belt that transfers the weight from the pack to your hips. (lots of information here on this topic). 5 k for a fully packed bag is something to be proud of, I never manage to get mine that low!

Buen camino, Laurie

Once again, thank you so much Laurie! I have one last question for you. It sounds like you have walked this way and some others. I have been doing a lot of research and the more I do, the more excited I get about walking the French Way. But because of money and time, I can't really do Th French Way for now. This is a good introduction to the walks, though, right? It's not the French, but totally worth it, I bet!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi again,
I assume that Verin to Laza will be on the side of the road, there will be no camino markings unless I'm forgetting about something. Looks like Verin to Laza is 18, then add on the 20 km from Laza to Vilar do Barrio and you've got a very long first day (but remember I'm 40 years older then you!). Second day to Ourense would be a more manageable 34. The day from A Gudina to Laza is really a pretty amazing day, is there any way you can make it over to A Gudina to start walking?

Don't stress about lodging, this is not an extremely popular camino, and it's early in the year. You'll find places to stay.

And yes, I think this would be a very nice introduction to the Camino -- I like the Sanabres a lot, I'll be heading back for my second time this year! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. The first time I walked the Sanabres, I met two people who started in Ourense, because that's the 100 km mark. If you have doubts about doing all those long stages, Ourense is easy to get to and would be a much more relaxing starting point. But that's only 100 km more or less, not the 180 you have planned!

Hi,

I believe Verin to Laza is waymarked and at least some of the way is on track as opposed to road but I don't know the percentage split. The road is relatively quiet though. I'm sure I had a kmz (google earth file) which showed the actual path but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment. I will post it up if I find it :?

Here is a link to a booklet on the Verin and Laza routes.

From Verin, the Laza route is 8km shorter than going via Sandias. That first stage to Sandias was approx 42km, so quite an opening day! I walked the Verin-Sandias-Allariz-Ourense-Santiago route in 2007 with 3 buddies. We were the only people on that part of the route at that time so had the albergue at Sandias to ourselves. The 2nd day was approx 35km to Ourense. At Ourense, as Laurie suggests, we met plenty of people travelling on the Laza route. We walked to Santiago in six days, which was tough but certainly "doable".

Having driven a lot around that area, in my opinion the route via Laza would be the prettier of the two although they are both nice.

This thread suggests that there is also an Albergue in Albergueria, midway between Laza and Vilar do Barrio, which could make that a more manageable stage.

Good luck with your planning and Buen Camino.
Mig

Attachments

• Verin_Laza.jpg
    Verin_Laza.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,066
peregrina2000 said:
Hi again,
I assume that Verin to Laza will be on the side of the road, there will be no camino markings unless I'm forgetting about something. Looks like Verin to Laza is 18, then add on the 20 km from Laza to Vilar do Barrio and you've got a very long first day (but remember I'm 40 years older then you!). Second day to Ourense would be a more manageable 34. The day from A Gudina to Laza is really a pretty amazing day, is there any way you can make it over to A Gudina to start walking?

Don't stress about lodging, this is not an extremely popular camino, and it's early in the year. You'll find places to stay.

And yes, I think this would be a very nice introduction to the Camino -- I like the Sanabres a lot, I'll be heading back for my second time this year! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. The first time I walked the Sanabres, I met two people who started in Ourense, because that's the 100 km mark. If you have doubts about doing all those long stages, Ourense is easy to get to and would be a much more relaxing starting point. But that's only 100 km more or less, not the 180 you have planned!

At the Pilgrim's Office in Verin they told me I could take both ways, so I am assuming both are marked!

I am having problem finding all these details about how many kms from x to y etc... In xacobeo they only have the distances between the stages they recommend and there are so many other websites, but only a few really explore this way. Do you know where i can find further details?

Second time! Wow, what an example! Thank you for encouraging me!

Starting in Ourense is actually a great suggestion I put on the table. My family lives in Chaves, and there is actually a marked way starting there, so I can always do the other patches divided!

Thank you once again!

miguel_gp said:
Hi,

I believe Verin to Laza is waymarked and at least some of the way is on track as opposed to road but I don't know the percentage split. The road is relatively quiet though. I'm sure I had a kmz (google earth file) which showed the actual path but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment. I will post it up if I find it :?

Here is a link to a booklet on the Verin and Laza routes.

From Verin, the Laza route is 8km shorter than going via Sandias. That first stage to Sandias was approx 42km, so quite an opening day! I walked the Verin-Sandias-Allariz-Ourense-Santiago route in 2007 with 3 buddies. We were the only people on that part of the route at that time so had the albergue at Sandias to ourselves. The 2nd day was approx 35km to Ourense. At Ourense, as Laurie suggests, we met plenty of people travelling on the Laza route. We walked to Santiago in six days, which was tough but certainly "doable".

Having driven a lot around that area, in my opinion the route via Laza would be the prettier of the two although they are both nice.

This thread suggests that there is also an Albergue in Albergueria, midway between Laza and Vilar do Barrio, which could make that a more manageable stage.

Good luck with your planning and Buen Camino.
Mig

Miguel, thank you so much for your help!

If you do find that file, I would be very grateful if you could post it here!

I am really at crossroads here. Literally! Truth is my family lives in Chaves, so I can easily do these eastern patches of the way later. So as Laurie pointed out, and given that my time is limited, I may actually consider that option of starting in Ourense

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, this is very confusing. So, sorry to be dense, but here's what I think you are explaining:

The Sanabres splits in A Gudina -- one branch goes to Verin, and the other to Campobecerros and Laza.

Then the Verin branch again splits in Lalin -- one branch goes to Sandia, one goes back to Laza.

So, which of these branches goes through Allariz? I think it must be the Sandia one, correct? And then these routes all come back together in Ourense, correct?

I'm asking because I will be back on the route this summer and have always wanted to visit Allariz.

Thanks, mig and others, Laurie

And yes, there is an albergue in Albergaria -- it's run by the man who has the iconic bar with the millions of scallop shells on the walls. I've heard good things about it. When I walked through in 2010 it was not yet open, but the owner took me over to see it. It looked nice except there was only one bathroom, which is not a good bed/bathroom ratio.

Laurie, looking at my map right now. The way splits in A Gudina in 2 and there are only these two ways until Ourense. Only in Very you have a way connecting VERIN with LAZA.

That is what my maps shows. So you have to take the VERIN patch which should be: A Gudina, As Vendas da Barreira, Verin, Monterrei, Cualedro, Xinzo de Limia, Sandias, ALLARIZ, Taboadela, San Cibrao de las Vinas, Ourense.

I am planning to do this route in a couple of weeks, my plan is start A Gudina then Vendas da Barreira to Verin and stops in Xinzo de Limia and Allariz before reaching Ourense, I would like to take it fairly slow and have a good look at everywhere. I have'nt quite decided on my stops to Santiago.I have walked the VDLP before going via Laza, etc so do know the route from Ourense and perhaps stay at different places this time.
Liz

peregrina2000 said:
So, which of these branches goes through Allariz? I think it must be the Sandia one, correct? And then these routes all come back together in Ourense, correct?
Yes the Southern route to Sandias continues through Allariz before eventually meeting the Northern Route from Laza at Pereiras. The combined route then continues on to Ourense.

The xacobeo web site has a breakdown of the stages for both the Laza route and the Verin route here.

Their pages also include Google Earth files of both routes within Galicia. I've attached the complete route, downloaded from their site, below. It doesn't include the link route between Verin and Laza but I've now located the file that I had and will tidy up and post over the weekend. The route between Verin and Laza is definitely waymarked, as the marked pillars are visible at certain points on the route on Google StreetView.

Attachments

• VíadelaPlata.kmz
    22.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the information, very helpful.

So, can I ask if anyone has an opinion on this specific question:

If I want to see Allariz, is there anything to recommend one of these options over the other:

At the split in A Gudina, take the Verin route and just stay on it all the way into Ourense (passing through Allariz).

OR

Stay on the main Sanabres route through Laza, and when I get to Xunqueira de Ambia, walk 7 kms on a minor road to get to Allariz, then continue to Ourense from there.

Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

I did the Verin route from A Gudina a couple of years ago. It's pretty well waymarked. From Verin you go mostly on country paths rather than road. Verin itself is an interesting border town with apparently exuberant Mardi Gras festivities, so it might be lively during Holy Week as well. The castle of Monterrei just outside is an amazing structure - it's almost absurdly like a film producer's idea of what a mediaeval fortress should look like.

Allariz is a very pleasant town with some fine buildings, including the monastery of Santa Clara, a 12th century romanesque church of Santiago and a handsome bridge. The local speciality is a sickly sweet honey pastry which will get your blood sugar up for a day on the camino.

I must admit I did prefer the northern route myself, but from Verin it's probably a bit less hilly - A Gudina to Verin is, if my memory serves, rather boring, going up and down quite steeply and mostly on road, whereas the section from A Gudina to Campobecerros stays high after the first hour's ascent and is spectacular for ages.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back