• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Verizon Cell Phone Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
My wife and I will be walking the Camino in March. We will be in Spain about 9 weeks. This will be our 2nd Camino. In the past I would get a sim card and use a unlocked phone. This time I am thinking about using Verizon's International Travel Preferred Pricing Plan. I would love to hear anyone with experience using this plan as to the good and the bad. Thanks in advance!

Cullen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I will be walking the Camino in March. We will be in Spain about 9 weeks. This will be our 2nd Camino. In the past I would get a sim card and use a unlocked phone. This time I am thinking about using Verizon's International Travel Preferred Pricing Plan. I would love to hear anyone with experience using this plan as to the good and the bad. Thanks in advance!

Cullen
I used Verizon and I thought it was expensive. I started using Skype while on the Camino as long as there was a good wifi connection it was as good as a cell phone call. There tends to be good wifi I. The larger cities.

I use Verizon's plan. In fact, I'm using it right now in Frankfurt, Germany. Of course, I used Skype and FaceTime whenever possible. But I'm not going to put a Spanish SIM card into my unlocked phone on the Camino because that changes my phone number. And I'm not about to instant message 300 people to let them know my new number once I get it in Spain. Moreover, that puts the burden of a long distance phone call on anyone calling you. Put differently, somebody is going to pay for the international call. If you slip in a Spainish SIM card, then Aunt Mary, who doesn't have an international phone plan, is in for one hell of a surprise the month after she called you in Burgos. If you keep your number and get an international calling plan, it's you and not Aunt Mary paying for it. But, you are paying at a substantially reduced rate than she would have encountered.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have not used used a Verizon International plan in Spain, but have used it in Italy, Ireland and Mexico. It worked great, was reasonably priced, and as someone else had mentioned I want to have my same phone number. The amount of data included is smaller than I prefer, but not really a problem since mostly use wifi.

I used the Verizon plan, and it was a little pricey, but on the Portuguese Way there were many, many nights when the wifi was unreliable or nonexistent, and I was glad I could get a message home without it. There were also a couple of times (in Portugal) when I was hopelessly lost, and glad I could call ahead to my next stop for guidance :).

Also, I've never had connection problems with Verizon and I've used it in South America, Europe and Asia. Peace of mind for a woman traveling alone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use Verizon's plan. In fact, I'm using it right now in Frankfurt, Germany. Of course, I used Skype and FaceTime whenever possible. But I'm not going to put a Spanish SIM card into my unlocked phone on the Camino because that changes my phone number. And I'm not about to instant message 300 people to let them know my new number once I get it in Spain. Moreover, that puts the burden of a long distance phone call on anyone calling you. Put differently, somebody is going to pay for the international call. If you slip in a Spainish SIM card, then Aunt Mary, who doesn't have an international phone plan, is in for one hell of a surprise the month after she called you in Burgos. If you keep your number and get an international calling plan, it's you and not Aunt Mary paying for it. But, you are paying at a substantially reduced rate than she would have encountered.
I'm not tech savvy at all, so pardon if I'm missing the obvious. If the Spanish sim gives you a new phone #, how can Aunt Mary get into trouble calling you unless she knows your new number? Seems like Skype/wifi would be the way to connect with folks at home, but the Spanish sim would be best for in country calls for reservations, etc. No?

I keep hearing how expensive the Verizon plan is, but I use their data and phone plan, and it works for me. My phone works the second I'm off the plane, great ' for lost luggage or late flights. I don't waste any time in a phone store getting a sim card, and my home number works. There is so much wi-fi that I hardly use any of data or minutes., but when I need it, it is there.

Cullen
I have Verizon and was quoted $10 per day for that plan. For me that adds up to a extra $450. That's close to a weeks worth of expenses on the Camino. I carry a small cheap dumb phone by Cellular Abroad for travel and take advantage of free WiFi for my tablet. Works for me. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have Verizon and was quoted $10 per day for that plan. For me that adds up to a extra $450.

holy @@#$ we pay something like $25 per 100mb and $1.00 a minute. We end up with about $35 a month

I'm not tech savvy at all, so pardon if I'm missing the obvious. If the Spanish sim gives you a new phone #, how can Aunt Mary get into trouble calling you unless she knows your new number? Seems like Skype/wifi would be the way to connect with folks at home, but the Spanish sim would be best for in country calls for reservations, etc. No?

Here's the problem. You hear, "Oh! You've got to put a Sanish SIM card in your phone!" And you do. So now, local calls are cheap. Excellent. Problem "solved". But everybody back home is trying to call you ("Have you left yet?" "How's the food?") and they get nothing because your old SIM card is buried deep in your in your backpack. So now your inbox explodes with panic emails because no one can get ahold of you (unless of course, you explained to every person who has your cell phone where you are going and why they can't contact you). So now, even though you are trying to enjoy the Camino, you are forced to diligently sit down and answer emails apologizing and giving everyone your Spanish phone number.

So now, Aunt Mary calls the new number to wish you a happy birthday. The call to you is nothing to you because you have a Spanish SIM card. But the call to her is charged at huge international rates because she doesn't have an international calling plan. And she's on a fixed income. When her bill arrives, she has a heart attack. But, all's well that ends well, because you saved money by having a Spanish SIM card.

But, if you had kept your phone number and gotten an international plan, it would have been no cost to Aunt Mary and she'd be alive today.

My only point is this. Tossing in a Spanish SIM card solves one problem but creates several others. Are you really going to take the dozens and dozens of hours to explain all of this before you go? Do you realize how many people have you cell number? Are you prepared to deal with each one before you go? Are you going to take the time, on the Camino, to explain how international calling rates effect them if you are using a Spanish SIM card?

Or, why not buy an international calling plan before you go, keep your number, and save Aunt Mary's life.

I have Verizon and was quoted $10 per day for that plan. For me that adds up to a extra $450. That's close to a weeks worth of expenses on the Camino. I carry a small cheap dumb phone by Cellular Abroad for travel and take advantage of free WiFi for my tablet. Works for me. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
The $10 a day plan lets you do all the phone call and data you use at home. Check their website, there is a 40 dollar a month plan that gives you 100 mg of data and 500 minutes of phonically for $40 a month. Should be enough for most since usually can use wifi.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here's the problem. You hear, "Oh! You've got to put a Sanish SIM card in your phone!" And you do. So now, local calls are cheap. Excellent. Problem "solved". But everybody back home is trying to call you ("Have you left yet?" "How's the food?") and they get nothing because your old SIM card is buried deep in your in your backpack. So now your inbox explodes with panic emails because no one can get ahold of you (unless of course, you explained to every person who has your cell phone where you are going and why they can't contact you). So now, even though you are trying to enjoy the Camino, you are forced to diligently sit down and answer emails apologizing and giving everyone your Spanish phone number.

So now, Aunt Mary calls the new number to wish you a happy birthday. The call to you is nothing to you because you have a Spanish SIM card. But the call to her is charged at huge international rates because she doesn't have an international calling plan. And she's on a fixed income. When her bill arrives, she has a heart attack. But, all's well that ends well, because you saved money by having a Spanish SIM card.

But, if you had kept your phone number and gotten an international plan, it would have been no cost to Aunt Mary and she'd be alive today.

My only point is this. Tossing in a Spanish SIM card solves one problem but creates several others. Are you really going to take the dozens and dozens of hours to explain all of this before you go? Do you realize how many people have you cell number? Are you prepared to deal with each one before you go? Are you going to take the time, on the Camino, to explain how international calling rates effect them if you are using a Spanish SIM card?

Or, why not buy an international calling plan before you go, keep your number, and save Aunt Mary's life.

Thanks for the reply. I see how the foreign SIM would not work for you, or for others who use their cell phones exclusively or principally. However in my case, very few people have my cell #. My phone gets used mainly for outgoing calls when I'm away from home. I actually don't get cell service at home (NH hinterlands), so folks call me on my land line. If Aunt Mary calls while I'm gone, she'll call my home and my husband can give her a report on my doings. I'll contact him, and others in the states, using wifi methods. I think the Spanish SIM may work out well for me. I do appreciate your post as it clarifies the pros and cons very well.

I highly recommend switching to TMobile if it's possible to do. We just spent a month in Italy with our TMobile plan and we could call and text each other locally, as well as calling and texting loved ones back home. Calls were only 20 cents a minute and there was no additional charge for text and data usage. It was magical!

Cullen
I can only speak from other countries (Amsterdam, Mexico, China, Indonesia, and Argentina) - but I love the plan! Just be sure to turn data off for almost everything and stick to wifi. You'll have enough data for maps and emergencies if needed. I can't speak to the network in Spain though on the Camino. I'm also going in March (only the last 220km) and plan on using the Verizon plan.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Happy Trails

I only pay $30 a month for the plan and travel extensively for work. Have never had a problem other than going over data....in which they just charge me another $30......

Cullen
Ah...cell phones on the Camino.
I have a friend who is a hospitalero on Camino Frances.
She said five years ago, when people checked into the refugios, there was happy chatter and banter and friendly discussions about feet and food.
Now, the first question is "do you have WiFi" and then the pilgrims sit down at the picnic tables, don't look at the other pilgrims, but keep their faces buried in their devices. IMHO, there seems to be an inverse relationship between pilgrim/human community and access to WiFi. Not just on the Camino but all over Europe, the US, everywhere.

Crhutch, since you're traveling with your Life's Companion, I hope you have little need or desire to use your cell phone on the Camino.

Buen camino, sin telefonos...

Cullen
Check out the What's App -- works great as long as you have access to wifi...Well worked great in Aruba and chatted with the kids back in the States

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I highly recommend switching to TMobile if it's possible to do. We just spent a month in Italy with our TMobile plan and we could call and text each other locally, as well as calling and texting loved ones back home. Calls were only 20 cents a minute and there was no additional charge for text and data usage. It was magical!
I've been on T-Mobile for about a year now, and I LOVE their unlimited international data! I got great signals last year in Germany, France, Czech Republic and Spain. I use free apps, like Whatsapp and Google Hangouts to make free calls to other users. If I want to call any phone in the world I use an app called Viber. I buy credits and calls I made last year from Barcelona to the US were only 2 cents a minute, rather than 20 cents that T-Mobile charges. I bought $4.99 worth of credits, and after making numerous calls I still have about half that amount. And since I have data virtually everywhere, I don't have to wait until I have a wifi connection. And T-Mobile paid off my Verizon contract. (sorry if I sound like an ad :p)

I use the Verizon plan in other countries, and it works really well. I have not used it in Spain -- but it is noted on their website that the daily charge is $5 (not $10 as noted for most other countries). The great thing is that it doesn't charge you except on the days you send and receive calls. The thing I like about it is that I can "check out" for a few days by simply going into "airplane mode" (and communicate by Skype or other messaging). Then, when I have some time, I can "get back to everyone" at one time. I hope that my camino is relatively "non-connected" . . . so, this is likely going to be my solution.

I'd recommend getting a Tmobile plan and GSM quad band phone. They have free unlimited data in 140 countries, Spain included. No need to bother with Spanish SIM card. Was able to email, facebook, and Google map all along the Camino. Mostly 2G , but 3G or 4G in places.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Am on the Camino now using TMob. I'm delighted with their int'l plan. I don't get or make a lot of calls even at home, so it's the same convenience - except the $0.20 per minute charged to me. No big deal since all my calls are short. If I used the phone more and for longer periods, I'd use Skype. Unlimited texting, my own phone number, no worries re SIM cards, & since 10/1 to 12/31 unlimited data at 4G LTE where available - not available when in mountainous areas a few days ago either side of O Cebreiro.
I'm not a huge fan of TMob (customer Svc) but DO like the Int'l Plan!!
Buen Camino, @crhutch & wife!

This thread seems to be confusing or be unaware that there are 3 Verizon international plans. I will try and summarize what I read as the important differences below:
(1) "Daily" -- You pay $10/day on whatever day you "use" the phone (assume that is voice, messaging, or data) -- but the $10 is charged only on those days you use the phone, but actuals the minutes, messages and data are pulled out of your normal USA plan total.
(2) "Monthly"
(a) One subset has $40 per month and you get 100 minutes, 100 messages, and 100 mb
(b) One sub has $25 per month (but in reality per 100 mb of data) and voice and messages are charge at "pay as you go".
(3) "Pay as you Go" -- which is $1.79 / minute for voice and $0.5 for messages.

I plan to use SKYPE for all but the most urgent voice calls and messages . . . .so, I am considering the "Monthly" (a) plan. I mainly want access to the apps on my phone for finding hotels, restaurants, etc. and perhaps for a map or two.

Does anyone have an idea how sufficient 100 mb might be for these "minimal" uses? Can I get by on 100 mb -- as it seems to be very little data.

Experience anyone?

I got along fine without a Phone just used my IPad mini & Skype. Phones do take up less space/weight. Just depends on how connected you need to be. The new phones also have very good picture quality, so yep I would carry A phone now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back