• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Verizon international plan

offtrail1

Dave Black
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJpdP - SdC
2016 León - Fisterra
does anyone have experience with this. I use this as my business phone and need to get my voice mails. I used Vodafone last year and had problems getting back to my Verizon account. Thanks
Dave

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I asked Verison about this plan, they wants $10 for each day you use your phone. This plan includes nothing extra just access to your existing plan. I've always done fine with free WiFi on the camino. If I need to call home or have an emergency I use a pay as you go world wide dumb phone. Buen Camino

Verison is costly. We will use WiFi. You may find that at cafes during the day and where you sleep at night. Do you have to take your job with you on your Camino?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Verison is costly. We will use WiFi. You may find that at cafes during the day and where you sleep at night. Do you have to take your job with you on your Camino?
Thanks - I do use the weefee quite a lot. I work for myself, by myself, and need to receive texts and voicemails from my clients. I know - I know; but Iyam what Iyam.

does anyone have experience with this. I use this as my business phone and need to get my voice mails. I used Vodafone last year and had problems getting back to my Verizon account. Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave, most albergues have WIFI. The best time to listen to your voice mails is when you are in the albergue. Also most bars etc. have WIFI.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Thanks - I do use the weefee quite a lot. I work for myself, by myself, and need to receive texts and voicemails from my clients. I know - I know; but Iyam what Iyam.

A lot of people who have jobs where co-workers take over their responsibilities while they are gone have trouble understanding what self-employed people have to do to able to walk Camino. As a self-employed person who has no employees, I had three choices in life: (1) never walk the Camino and keep my company intact, (2) walk the Camino disconnected and literally destroy my company and thus my livelihood, or (3) walk the Camino and continue to run my business remotely in the evenings. I chose the third option. And in order to shield others from the audio and visual noise of me conducting business five nights a week I stayed in albergues with private rooms and cheap hotels (along with four Paradors).

I used the Verizon plan. I believe it's $5 per month and cuts international calls down to a $1 a minute. I also took advantage of the ubiquitous wifi along the Camino to respond to emails. Because I needed over 300 people to have my phone number, I didn't put a Spainish SIM card into my unlocked phone (unintended consequences of putting g a "cheap" Spanish SIM card into your phone is having to let everyone what your new number is and then they have to pay an outrageous international fee to call you).

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A lot of people who jobs where co-workers take over their responsibilities while they are gone have trouble understanding what self-employed people have to do to able to walk Camino. As a self-employed person who has no employees, I had three choices in life: (1) never walk the Camino and keep my company intact, (2) walk the Camino disconnected and literally destroy my company and this my livelihood, or (3) walk the Camino and continue to run my business remotely in the evenings. I chose the third option. And in order to shield others from the audio and visual noise of me conducting business five nights a week I stayed in albergues with private rooms and cheap hotels (along with four Paradors).

I used the Verizon plan. I believe it's $5 per month and cuts international calls down to a $1 a minute. I also took advantage of the ubiquitous wifi along the Camino to respond to emails. Because I needed over 300 people to have my phone number, I didn't put a Spainish SIM card into my unlocked phone (unintended consequences of putting g a "cheap" Spanish SIM card into your phone is having to let everyone what your new number is and then they have to pay an outrageous international fee to call you).
Thanks Robert - my situation exactly. And I am, and will continue to be, mindful of the disturbing effects of my business life upon others. Buen Camino!
Dave

I was lucky, I have employees capable of taking care of things while we were away on Camino. Check out Verizon's website. They have a $40.00/month plan that gives you 100 minutes talk, 100 sent texts, unlimited receive texts, and 100 mb data. You can use the wi-fi for the data when you need it, check text messages whenever you want, and make a quick stop at the next wi-fi if you need to. I thought $40.00/month was a small price to pay to be able to go on Camino with my wife. Get away from the daily grind of work and clear my head. Unfortunately, you two (offtrail1 and RobertS26) did not/will not have that peace of mind that someone back home was taking care of things for you. I had some questions asked of me while we were away, but could talk them through the "issues". Did have one customer call me at 1 am :) It was after hours at home, so he called my cell instead. He forgot we were away and there was a 6 hour time difference :) Luckily my phone was on vibrate, so didn't disturb anyone. As far as what other people think about taking care of business, don't worry about it. I saw plenty of people on their phones along the trail and in the albergues and in the bars. Probably wasn't as important as what you will be doing on your phone. Buen Camino offtrail1.

Thanks ManyMiles (and the others)... That's what I plan to do. Just wanted to get a feel for how well the Verizon phone plan worked there. This year it's only a month (June) with an amigo from Leon to Finistere. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Verizon also has an $80 a month plan, with more calls and data. For me, combined with wifi, the $40/month plan should be fine.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back